• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

People who walked April - May 10th 2013?

Thengel1

Time of past OR future Camino
CF April-May 2013; mid-Sept. 2017
Given the relatively small percentage of people who post here compared to the number who walk, this is kind of a long shot, but...

One of the post-camino frustrations I have found is not knowing how the things worked out for the people I met along the way. I hung around Santiago for a few days after I finished my camino, and did in this way manage to run into quite a few folks, but still there were lots of people for whom I had no idea. So, I thought I might try posting a few descriptions (and first names when I can remember them, sadly I am terrible with names.)

Before I give my list, I should identify myself. My name is Glen and I am from Vancouver. I walked from SJPDP to Santiago, starting April 2nd and arriving May 7th. Probably the thing that would have stood out for most people about me is my weight. During the 5 weeks I walked, I saw no one who even approached my size.

Anyway, a list of people who I would be very interested in how things worked for them:

Rose, an American from Pennsylvania?, I met on my first day out of SJPDP. We walked together briefly that first morning, but the main reason I remember her was her saying (when she passed me at 4PM) she would let staff at the albergue know I was still on the trail when she got there. (Bad first day). Last time I saw her was early on the second day.

A couple from New Mexico, Wynnette and ?Charles?. Stayed in the same Casa Rurales in Viskarret, we were the only people staying there, so we had supper and breakfast together. Last sighting was of Wynnette in Pamplona, she was looking for new shoes. as she had been having some problems with her feet.

Another couple from Qualicum Beach (it’s in British Columbia, Canada). I met them while waiting from supper in a comfy little cafe/bar in Larrasoana, last sighting was passing through Villamayor de Monjardin. They were a little older than me, but seemed pretty fit (the only reason I was still seeing them for as long I did is that they liked to take detours along the way.)

There was a young Hungarian couple (mid twenties I would guess, I want to say their names were Clara and Anthony, but...), who had been living in Edinburgh, that I ran into a number of times. The first time I can recall was in Viana I think, the last time would have been in Hornillos. All of us has decided to push on and so I full expected to see them that night, but they must have stopped in San Bol. I thought for sure sooner or later I would run into them again, but I never did.

There was a Vietnamese gentlemen in his mid-sixties named Ho. He was living in Maryland and had gone to University in Canada (Halifax and Calgary). The earliest meeting I can recall was sitting next to him having a conversation in the Austrian albergue in Los Arcos. Over the next couple of weeks I saw him from time to time, up until Carrion de Los Condes.

There was a woman from Connecticut named Emily, my age, but very fit and wore these shoes that looked more appropriate for rock-climbing then walking (they certainly seemed to work for her though). I had a couple of conversations with her and actually had intended to give her my email address, and got up early (in Calzadilla de los Hermanillos) to make sure I caught her before she left, but she was gone by the time I made it downstairs at 6:30 and I unsurprisingly I never caught up with her.

A guy named Gary from Victoria (late 50’s or early 60’s. He was in good shape, but I think he was having some non-walking related health issues that made me worry he might have to stop. I hope he made it. I shared a room with him and a German cyclist in Hostanas, the last time we saw each other was at a brief stop in Villalcazar de Sirga,

There was a young couple from Melbourne, who I ran into a few times in the couple of weeks. First time was by a fireplace at a private albergue in Sarria, last time on the second last day, Sort of surprised that I didn’t end of seeing them in Santiago, but in this case at least, I think I can be pretty confident they made it. :)

There was a retired English woman named Mary. I only really saw her the one day (and at dinner the previous night), but the two of us walked almost the entire distance from Calzadilla de los Hermanillos to Mansilla together (and saw not a single other living soul the entire time), so we talked a fair bit. I fully expected to see her again, but she stayed in private accommodation whereas I, after stopping at the albergue in Mansilla for a few hours, inexplicably decided at 6:20 PM to walk on.

A 30ish woman named Jo from South Africa, I had dinner with her twice, in Pereje and in O’Cebreiro.

Anyway, there were tons of other people (German couple who were mildly shocked that I knew where Kiel was, a young guy from Seattle I talked to over supper in Larrasoana, a young woman who was born/lived in Montreal/Toronto (or possibly the other way around) - saw her in Larrasoana as well) , but those are probably the main people I never heard as to how their camino turned out. Actually, it was kind of surprising while I was compiling this list, how many people there were who I did manage to see after arriving in Santiago (and picked up a few more in Finisterre.)

On a somewhat unrelated topic, I remember stopping at a bar somewhere in the last week, that everything inside was written on: the tables, the walls. I don’t know if the owners had started planning on this or after a few people had done it just decided to go with rather than clean it up. Anyway, I can’t recall exactly where it was, though I am almost certain it came somewhere between Sarria and Arca. And it was on the right hand side of the road while walking.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Thengel1,

"...I remember stopping at a bar somewhere in the last week, that everything inside was written on: the tables, the walls. I don’t know if the owners had started planning on this or after a few people had done it just decided to go with rather than clean it up...."

Is this the bar you remember? If so it is in Religeos just before Mansilla de la Mulas.

Happy memories!

Margaret Meredith

Last edited:
Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
Thanks for the replies.
SabineP, that is the place. I wasn't sure at first, because I thought I remembered writing on the table too and a search on Google for Salceda turned a village that looks like it is off the Camino Frances by about 70 km, but when I watched the video, I remember the 2 doors leading to the tiny washrooms on the right hand, and the fact you had to climb stairs to go in.

Hi Thengel1,

I am planning on walking from SJPP this April (mid-April - exact dates yet to be decided). Wondering how your weather was at this time of year and if you can give any other advise for leaving at that time.

thanks,

Brian

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
It can be virtually impossible to find old pilgrim friends when your journey is long past. A reminder, perhaps, to make a note of asking those special members of your 'camino family' for their e-mail addresses before you split up?

Most read last week in this forum

The Burguete bomberos had another busy day yesterday. Picking up two pilgrims with symptoms of hypothermia and exhaustion near the Lepoeder pass and another near the Croix de Thibault who was...
Between Villafranca Montes de Oca and San Juan de Ortega there was a great resting place with benches, totem poles andvarious wooden art. A place of good vibes. It is now completely demolished...
Just an FYI that all available beds are taken in SJPDP tonight - fully, truly COMPLETO! There’s an indication of how busy this year may be since it’s just a Wednesday in late April, not usually...
Left Saint Jean this morning at 7am. Got to Roncesvalles just before 1:30. Weather was clear and beautiful! I didn't pre book, and was able to get a bed. I did hear they were all full by 4pm...
Hi there - we are two 'older' women from Australia who will be walking the Camino in September and October 2025 - we are tempted by the companies that pre book accomodation and bag transfers but...
We have been travelling from Australia via Dubai and have been caught in the kaos in Dubai airport for over 3 days. Sleeping on the floor of the airport and finally Emerites put us up in...

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back