• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Pepper spray availability in Santander

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pathfinder075

Time of past OR future Camino
Various Routes in (2016), (2017) and (2023).
Does anyone know where I can get a small can of pepper spray in Santander? I am quite new to buying stuff like this and never considered it for my past Caminos, but I think it's a requirement for this one.

I will be spending a good chunk of my Camino solo in the mountains and between bears, wolves and random attack dogs, I think it might be wise to have a can in easy reach for those possibilities given the fact most major hospitals will be very far away.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I live in an area of Canada where we have bears, wolves & coyotes meandering through our backyard. I hike in the forests here and honestly the best thing to do is make noise - put bear bells on your pack. It is better to alert them to your presence so they can leave. Bears are honestly more scared of you then you are of them. Using bear spray requires preparation and knowing which direction the wind is going. Too many folks accidentally spray themselves.

I live in an area of Canada where we have bears, wolves & coyotes meandering through our backyard. I hike in the forests here and honestly the best thing to do is make noise - put bear bells on your pack. It is better to alert them to your presence so they can leave. Bears are honestly more scared of you then you are of them. Using bear spray requires preparation and knowing which direction the wind is going. Too many folks accidentally spray themselves.
From my distant and undistinguished army service I recall that claymore mines were helpfully marked on one side ‘this side towards enemy’. I assume this was based on trial and error. Nobody ever went wrong underestimating the ability of the typical human, myself included.

From my distant and undistinguished army service I recall that claymore mines were helpfully marked on one side ‘this side towards enemy’. I assume this was based on trial and error.
Like the Mk.2 version of the PRIG which famously fired an improvised tin can grenade from one end and digestive biscuits out the other end. Very similar to the Mk.1 but with an arrow painted on the metal tube. Allegedly after failure to penetrate the shell of an armoured vehicle with two packets of McVitie's finest....

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Please do not bring the spray inside Albergues or common areas. An accidental discharge would be a terrible experience for all...

Just our of interest, which Camino(s) are you doing in the mountains?

In the unlikely event you need to go to a hospital you will find the Spanish regional ambulance (and Air ambulance) service very efficient...

Bon Camino!

The dogs that guard the sheep in the mountains can be very scary and intimidating, but usually have no interest in biting hikers, as long as you keep your distance from the dog and herd.

Some information about these dogs (how to behave if you meet one) for hikers:

If you follow some basic rules, they won't see you as a threat, and there shouldn't be a problem. They might bark and put on a big show, but they are trained working dogs, they normally won't attack a human unless provoked.

But if you panic and pepper spray them, they will certainly see you as a threat then, and then you really have a big problem! So pepper spray won't be helpful in this case, anyway, more the opposite.

Buen Camino, hopefully without the need for pepper spray!

do you have pepper spray on you out on the fells?

i live in the mountains, and walk almost exclusively solo in the mountains, but would not know why i would bring pepper spray or what to do with it. is it even legal?

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
but I think it's a requirement for this one.
Which camino are you planning to walk? I can’t imagine it’s anything more remote than the Olvidado, Levante, or Vasco Interior, and I’ve never heard of anyone who wished they had had pepper spray to deal with an animal.

In my experience, these herd dogs in Spain are usually not left unattended. A person is likely to be somewhere nearby. The Camino has helped me reduce my dog anxiety considerably. When I’m near a farm or other human habitation, I’ve been able to follow the good advice of other forum members and just keep walking calmly without making eye contact. If I am alone out in the mountains (as I was on my way into Cistierna on the Olvidado a few years ago), I will still get a bit freaked out.

What I did in that case was to retreat to a distance where the dog was no longer barking at me, sit down and have a snack, and wait it out until, wonderfully, the shepherd made it up the flock on his motorcycle. My guess is that these flocks are constantly moving, so at some point they are bound to get far enough away from the trail so that I can continue. I think being patient and waiting it out is a much better solution than pepper spray.

Please do not bring the spray inside Albergues or common areas. An accidental discharge would be a terrible experience for all...

Just our of interest, which Camino(s) are you doing in the mountains?

In the unlikely event you need to go to a hospital you will find the Spanish regional ambulance (and Air ambulance) service very efficient...

Bon Camino!
Vadiniense, Salvador, Primitivo are the main mountain route.

There have been reports of dogs attacking people around Pajares on the Salvador. The likelihood of me using it is probably slim, but getting attacked in the middle of nowhere by a dog would be bad, putting a squirt on the ground or worst case on it is effective and non lethal.

Would rather they got a face of pepper spray, they will survive that and probably think twice about attacking people again.

I am also very allergic to dogs. I actively avoid them.

But this is more about dogs than bears and wolves. And also the fact i will likely be solo in places where getting attacked would make for a very bad day. This is more about prevention than anything else. Better to have something and not need it, than need it and not have it. I will probably not use it, but it's there for that contingency. It's much the same reason I carry a first aid kit. I hope to never need to use it, but if I do need it, it's there.

do you have pepper spray on you out on the fells?

i live in the mountains, and walk almost exclusively solo in the mountains, but would not know why i would bring pepper spray or what to do with it. is it even legal?

I don't in the UK, but then guard/attack dogs aren't a thing over here and the police enforce the laws generally quite effectively when it comes to dangerous dogs. We have strict rules and laws about dogs and if you break them your dog generally gets destroyed or shot. Also we don't have wolves or bears over here.

According to several Spanish gov sites it is legal to carry for use against animals.

--------

So anyway, I'm not looking for a complete flame fest, it's just a question. I know some people on here carry it, so just wondered where I could get a small can, that i may never (and this is more the case) use.

It's also entirely possible that I won't pick any up.

I think the chances of an encounter with wolves or bears are minimal. Stroppy dogs might be a different matter. There is an armeria listed on Google Maps which has pepper spray in one of the photos of their stock. This is their website: https://armeria-san-martin.negocio.site/?utm_source=gmb&utm_medium=referral

View attachment 150970
That is (honestly) what I'm looking for. The smallest version of the Sabre Red. They cost about 15 euros, contain 15x 1 sec squirts and are rated effective against most animals you find in Spain. If I get one, it will be that one. Don't need a lot and hope to never need to use it.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
There have been reports of dogs attacking people around Pajares on the Salvador.
I think a bit more context would be helpful. Look for posts by @BobY333. It was one dog, and that one dog had apparently gotten out of an enclosure, and is now securely behind the fence.

I have walked all those routes, some multiple times, and would never have had an occasion to use it, but of course your experience may be different.

I get your nervousness, @Pathfinder075 but I don’t think I’ve ever seen a report on the forum about someone who had pepper spray and used it effectively to avoid a vicious animal. I think the negative reactions come from people who see pepper spray as introducing an element of aggression and fear that is inconsistent with the camino writ large. But I also think you are right that it is legal in Spain, so it’s really your decision. And I hope that if you get it, you won’t ever need it!

I honestly don't want to ever have a need to use it, if I do carry. But it would be for that wildcard situation. The dog that decides for whatever reason it's going to attack regardless of how much you back off and try to avoid the problem.

From my distant and undistinguished army service I recall that claymore mines were helpfully marked on one side ‘this side towards enemy’. I assume this was based on trial and error. Nobody ever went wrong underestimating the ability of the typical human, myself included.
Lipton loose leaf tea packets used to be marked "Open Other End" after you opened the cardboard box! Not quite sure why it was not printed on the outside of the cardboard box?? Totally off subject but it is one of the unanswered mysteries of life.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms

There have been reports of dogs attacking people around Pajares on the Salvador. The likelihood of me using it is probably slim, but getting attacked in the middle of nowhere by a dog would be bad, putting a squirt on the ground or worst case on it is effective and non lethal.

Would rather they got a face of pepper spray, they will survive that and probably think twice about attacking people again.

I don't like dogs much either, though I'm not allergic to them, thankfully.

I walked the Salvador in 2017 and met 2 huge dogs shortly after the 'canyon' section, so I was up high. The flock of goats were resting on the path and I started to walk carefully through them when the dogs suddenly appeared, so I retreated hastily. Speaking softly to the dogs, I went around the flock, out of sight of them (the only way because of the terrain). A couple of times one of the dogs reappeared and watched me, but I felt in no danger by then. Yes, they are big and scary but I much prefer them to the small yappy dogs that could easily bite my ankles.

My husband did the Salvador in May this year and saw no dog just beyond Pajares.

I guess you will carry that can of spray in your hand all day long while walking, just in case you get a surprise attack from a dog? Make sure you check which way the wind is blowing too.

if you have poles, just use those to keep your distance. More effective than pepper spray.

Does anyone know where I can get a small can of pepper spray in Santander? I am quite new to buying stuff like this and never considered it for my past Caminos, but I think it's a requirement for this one.

I will be spending a good chunk of my Camino solo in the mountains and between bears, wolves and random attack dogs, I think it might be wise to have a can in easy reach for those possibilities given the fact most major hospitals will be very far away.
Not sure where you would find this, perhaps make an inquiry to a local. I’ve been on that route and didn’t encounter any of the mentioned threats. I must tell you in the extremely unlikely event you surprise a bear a can of pepper spray won’t help. Breathe in, breathe out.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
The dogs that guard the sheep in the mountains can be very scary and intimidating, but usually have no interest in biting hikers, as long as you keep your distance from the dog and herd.

Some information about these dogs (how to behave if you meet one) for hikers:

If you follow some basic rules, they won't see you as a threat, and there shouldn't be a problem. They might bark and put on a big show, but they are trained working dogs, they normally won't attack a human unless provoked.

But if you panic and pepper spray them, they will certainly see you as a threat then, and then you really have a big problem! So pepper spray won't be helpful in this case, anyway, more the opposite.

Buen Camino, hopefully without the need for pepper spray!
The "Simply Savoie" video was excellent. Thank you very much for posting it! I live near the Canadian Rockies where I hiked many times when younger. Years ago I attended a workshop on the use of bear spray, complete with the opportunity to try it out, outdoors, under the supervision of the instructors. It's good to know the very different behaviour we as hikers should display with guard dogs, which is 180 degrees opposite to what to do in a bear encounter.

On the other hand, when I attended an information session on cougars in the area outside of Calgary where my family has land, the speaker said that we don't need to worry about being attacked by one. To paraphrase, "If you're attacked by a cougar you'll be dead before you know what hit you". Yikes!

I guess you will carry that can of spray in your hand all day long while walking, just in case you get a surprise attack from a dog? Make sure you check which way the wind is blowing too.

if you have poles, just use those to keep your distance. More effective than pepper spray.

That's what i did the first two years I walked. Uncapped the poles, dropped them to minimum length and converted them into two mini spears. While I am quite allergic to all animals, I have no interest in impaling them or throwing stones at them. Spraying them just seems a better solution, where they walk away from it relatively uninjured.

Also i wasn't planning on carrying it in my hand. :p Maybe in my rucksack pocket or maybe tied off to the shoulder strap. In easy reach, but not ready to strike. I honestly wouldn't get caught off guard either.

Since I know sound = no bears, I can happily just talk to myself as I walk. ;) I guess the same will go for wolves. Make yourself known while walking and keep everything away.

As it stands, I probably won't carry it. If push comes to shove, I will move to the mini spears defense and with all likelihood if i see dogs in an area, that would be my main go to. But I hope there will be no issues and I will enjoy my Camino without any problem.

jabrown said:
Not sure where you would find this, perhaps make an inquiry to a local. I’ve been on that route and didn’t encounter any of the mentioned threats. I must tell you in the extremely unlikely event you surprise a bear a can of pepper spray won’t help. Breathe in, breathe out.

Bradypus found an armory in Santander that stocks them. Not far from the Ferry Terminal either. But I am still not 100% sure that i will. This topic seems to be one of those controversial ones and if I did carry it, I probably wouldn't tell anyone about it, given the feeling of some on here. ;)

Last edited:

But this is more about dogs than bears and wolves. And also the fact i will likely be solo in places where getting attacked would make for a very bad day. This is more about prevention than anything else. Better to have something and not need it, than need it and not have it. I will probably not use it, but it's there for that contingency. It's much the same reason I carry a first aid kit. I hope to never need to use it, but if I do need it, it's there.

I don't in the UK, but then guard/attack dogs aren't a thing over here and the police enforce the laws generally quite effectively when it comes to dangerous dogs. We have strict rules and laws about dogs and if you break them your dog generally gets destroyed or shot. Also we don't have wolves or bears over here.

According to several Spanish gov sites it is legal to carry for use against animals.

--------

So anyway, I'm not looking for a complete flame fest, it's just a question. I know some people on here carry it, so just wondered where I could get a small can, that i may never (and this is more the case) use.

It's also entirely possible that I won't pick any up.
Just a thought. My husband and I were accosted by four, unrestrained, barking dogs, running towards us, as we were heading into Corteporcos on the Norte.

It was scary but I automatically went into beast mode. I screamed wildly at them (in both Spanish and English), made myself bigger, widened by eyes, stared them down and smashed my hiking poles together. I walked straight at them with this combination of sound and sight. They barked but actively avoided me, slinking off into a paddock but continuing to bark from a distance (fine by me). After a while the owner came out and called them off but we were well and truly past their place by then.

I am an animal lover but I would have had no problem swinging my poles at them had they tried to get any closer. If you’ve got some volume in your lungs and and a couple of poles you’ll probably be ok.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Status
Not open for further replies.

Most read last week in this forum

Reports of money missing from a few wallets at Rocanvelles this afternoon. Money was taken, but the wallets/purses were not. Police have been called. Stay safe!
Hi everyone, I am a 30 y.o. female travelling solo. Planning to walk Camino Ingles in May, but since it's the least popular route I'm a bit worried in terms of how safe it is. I walked Frances...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.