• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

per km cost?

steinhoj

I know this has been posted on here before (probably more than once), but I can't seem to find it. What is the estimated per km cost for the VDLP? I recall it being more than the Frances route's 1eur/km.
And while we're on the topic, does anyone know the per km estimate for the Via Francigena? I've heard 2.5euro/km.

Cheers,

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
These budgets are all relative - some people can manage on 1€ per km on the Camino Frances and others on .50c per km.
http://caminodesantiago.consumer.es/calculadora/ has this breakdown from Roncesvalles to Santiago:

Making an average of prices for accommodation in a bunk in pilgrim shelters - both private, public and parochial - we have established an average price of 7 euros per night . We contemplate a duty that the pilgrim always leave a donation in the shelters and will ask to find the mean we have considered an extra 5 euros in all these accommodations.

We must also take into account the costs of maintenance (we considered that not every day you eat a couple of times a restaurant), incidental expenses incurred by the use of the washer and dryer, extra costs may be incurred for the purchase of medicines or a visit to some monuments, etc. Generate an average payout of 23 euros per day .

In total, the estimate to be made ​​a pilgrimage to Santiago is 30 euros per day including lodging and meals.

The VF is even harder to estimate. Will you sleep in hotels? Will you camp? Eat in restaurants every day or find places with self catering? Will you be walking in France, Switzerland, Italy - or all of the above? France is quite costly, Switzerland more so, Italy a little cheaper.
Maybe the Pilgrimstorome.org.uk has an estimate?

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Mmmmm???
I thought the calculator on the ConsumerCamino website was for all Camino routes?? Is it only for the CF?

I imagine the biggest difference would be accommodation if albergues weren't available on certain routes or at certain times of year. Apart from that I can't think of any significant differences, but I'll stand to be corrected!

Buen Camino!

Personally I think it might be easier to think in terms of cost per day rather than per km. A short day costs as much for most things as a long one. (Accomodation, food, drinks.) These prices were worked out on a daily basis this year on our time along the Norte and walking the Primitivo. From previous threads re prices they are probably applicable to any route.
We paid about 30-35 euros each per day using a mix of private albergues and hostals, menu del dia and own made bocadillos/sandwiches (bread, cheese, salami etc from local shops), and water. You can take off about 5 euros if using public albergues and probably another 4 or 5 euros if only making your own meals. However IMHO a budget of only 20-25 euros could be too little if any problems arise.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Tia Valeria said:
From previous threads re prices they are probably applicable to any route.
We paid about 30-35 euros each per day using a mix of private albergues and hostals...
Hi Tia. Yes, but hostal costs can be much higher if travelling alone, and if your walking companions don't fancy sharing a private room etc. Buen Camino!

Yes Tyrrek, but I wasn't meaning to suggest that folk use hostals necessarily, just trying to set an idea of a daily rather than a per km calculation. Some places do charge per person/bed, while many others charge per room - making it more like 40-45 euros per day for someone on their own. Sorry if my original post wasn't quite clear.

Hi Tia! No I wasn't really disagreeing, and I've never walked VDLP so have no experience to share on that particular route. Walking the Ingles last year I was (partly due to minor illness) forced to seek accommodation other than albergues and I imagine the difference between <10 Euros for an albergue and 35 Euros for a hostal can make a big difference especially on the much longer routes. Yes it depends hugely on whether they charge per person/room, and prices between hostals vary a great deal as well. Price is not necessarily an indication of quality on the Camino Frances or Ingles, at least. Not in my experience.

Buen Camino!

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
sillydoll said:
These budgets are all relative - [...] In total, the estimate to be made ​​a pilgrimage to Santiago is 30 euros per day including lodging and meals.
Very doable! We add 10% for incidentals. On top of that a reserve for staying a few times at a hostal (between 40 and 50 Euros per room for 2 people, depending upon location, such as larger towns) :|

Tia Valeria said:
Yes Tyrrek, but I wasn't meaning to suggest that folk use hostals necessarily, just trying to set an idea of a daily rather than a per km calculation. Some places do charge per person/bed, while many others charge per room - making it more like 40-45 euros per day for someone on their own. Sorry if my original post wasn't quite clear.
I agree with Tia Vareria that it makes much more sense to use days. The major costs on my camino were accommodation (mainly in albergues, but a hostel along the way and hotel at the end) and food. Both of these are daily costs, irrespective of the km travelled.

I cannot think of any costs that would have been on a per km basis, other than perhaps shoe wear and replacing the rubber tips to my walking poles. Both of these were insignificant in the overall scheme of things.

Regards,

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I walked from Seville > Salamanca this past April and found the albergue prices higher on the VdP than the CF = 10-15euros (though most included sheets & blanket). Also, I found it necessary to always have lunch/snack supplies with me as there were fewer towns/stores during each day's stage. Pilgrim meals tended to be around 9-11 euros.

Most read last week in this forum

Several local news websites are reporting that two pilgrims have been taken to hospital with injuries after being attacked by a cow. The incident took place about 10km north of Fuenterroble de...
On the stone pillars, there are 3 languages. 1st is Spanish of course and the 3rd is Arabic (says road to palata). Anyone know what the second language is?
I’m looking ahead a bit, figuring out my preferred stops. I see that the albergue in Puebla de Sanabria is closed, and other accommodation there is really expensive. The most expensive of anywhere...
First, this was my fourth Camino and was the most consistently beautiful walk I've done. Hilly, varied and so scenic! My daughter and I walked from Puebla de Sanabria to Santiago Apr. 14 - May 2...
Hi there I am on my final Countdown to Seville three more days. Reading in the forum I became aware that I haven't got a clue were to get the credentials do I have to order it from Ivar or can I...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back