• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Personal emergency location beacons in France

DouglasM

Time of past OR future Camino
April 2024
This is a general question for my curiosity. It probably should be posted in “Equipment etc” but would probably get a lot of Spain replies.
I’m not bringing my emergency beacon but I did read on the net somewhere about emergency beacons and about 2 years ago that it was illegal to activate a personal emergency beacon in France. The French authorities only allow beacons for boats and aircraft. I wonder if this was ever true and if it is still true today?
I’m not referring to things like Spot and similar devices that use different satellites to the emergency beacon satellites.
So if anyone knows I would be happy to have my curiosity satisfied.

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
You are allowed to bring a plb into France but they are only allowed for maritime use - not on land.

I am not disputing what you say but I am curious about how they would enforce this?

If I buy and register a PLB in Aotearoa New Zealand then regardless of where I am in the world when I activate the beacon the notification from that activation will be sent "directly" to the search and rescue coordination centre in ANZ.

They will see that the PLB has been activated in France and after doing some checking to ensure that the PLB is expected to be in France they would then contact the equivalent organisation in France and pass on my identity details and the position recorded in the activation notification.

What would you expect the French authorities to do then? Do you think that they would ignore the activation notification if it obviously wasn't on or near a maritime location? Or would they respond with a rescue attempt and then discuss the legality of the notification afterwards?

Last edited:
Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
What would you expect the French authorities to do then? Do you think that they would ignore the activation notification if it obviously wasn't on or near a maritime location? Or would they respond with a rescue attempt and then discuss the legality of the notification afterwards?
I was wondering that myself. I'd like to think that they would respond to the alert and argue about it afterwards.

I was wondering that myself. I'd like to think that they would respond to the alert and argue about it afterwards.
Something similar happens here. As these devices have gained in popularity some individuals from within ANZ have personally imported PLB's from the USA because they appear to be cheaper than PLB's sold here.

However PLB's designed for the USA are associated with a USA country code and, if purchased commercially, are not registered to an individual.

If one of these PLB's is activated in ANZ then initially the notification is sent to the USA. If the associated device is not registered then I suspect that things end there. The USA authorities may contact the ANZ search and rescue coordination centre but it is likely to be low priority and probably does not trigger an emergency response.

If, on the other hand someone within ANZ tries to register a personally imported PLB then they are required to change the country code associated with the device and from then on it is treated the same as a locally purchased (and registered) device.

Personally I have only carried a PLB once. Hired one in Darwin for a couple of short bushwalks in the Northern Territory. 3 days near Katherine and another 3 on the Larapinta Trail to/from Alice Springs. Out of mobile phone range and I have a typical Brit worry about Aussie wildlife! :cool: My details were registered temporarily with the rental company who would have been the initial contact in the event of an alert. Overkill on any of the Spanish Caminos I would say. Especially since mobile phone coverage in Spain is usually very good.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Fairly recently Motorola released a gadget which can be used with an Android phone to add satellite text messages and an SOS service. Cheaper than a standalone PLB and with more services. Something I might consider if I ever make an extended trip beyond mobile phone range. But again overkill for Camino use.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
‘Rescue’ is paid for by the state or local authority in France. Airlift is not.

If they send a helicopter, you will need plenty of headroom on your credit card.
Insurance is available. Usually as an add-on to your household policy. If you are a visitor travel insurance can be good to have. Medical airlift is counted as an ambulance ride, as I understand. Interesting thing.... If the fire brigade ambulance takes you to hospital, it's free to the user. Those little white taxis are about two euros a kilometer for the ride back home so make sure you get a prescription before leaving the hospital to get a refund. Hospital transfer in a proper ambulance costs rather more, but again it will be (eventually) refunded. Partly by the gubmint and partly by your optional insurance.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
This is a general question for my curiosity. It probably should be posted in “Equipment etc” but would probably get a lot of Spain replies.
I’m not bringing my emergency beacon but I did read on the net somewhere about emergency beacons and about 2 years ago that it was illegal to activate a personal emergency beacon in France. The French authorities only allow beacons for boats and aircraft. I wonder if this was ever true and if it is still true today?
I’m not referring to things like Spot and similar devices that use different satellites to the emergency beacon satellites.
So if anyone knows I would be happy to have my curiosity satisfied.
I didn't carry one and don't think they're necessary in France and Spain if you have a cell phone, EXCEPT when I walked alone from SJPdP up the GR10 to Hendaye. There were a couple of days up there on the spine of the Pyrenees when I had no cell service and hiking in some precarious stretches. I remember thinking I wish I had my PLB. A place like that is an uncommon exception, though, and the only time from Le Puy to SdC that I didn't have cell service most or all of the day. Same on the Primitivo the year before. Fwiw, if I want to connect from SJPdP to the Norte in the future, I'll take the Voie Nive Bidassoa.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Thanks for the replies. It confirms my original suspicions. I did read in an Australian publication - a hiking magazine I think - that a couple of Australian hikers activated their Australian PLB in the French Alps. This activated the Australian rescue authorities who then coordinated with the French rescue authorities to rescue the injured hiker. Then they were fined many tens of thousands of Euros. I can’t remember if their travel insurance paid it. So it seems the French authorities don’t have a sense of humour.
The lesson is don’t bring your PLB but use something like a SPOT if you think you’re going into hazardous areas in France. A SPOT etc alerts the SPOT company rather than French authorities. The company would have contacts in France to advise that one of their devices has been activated.
My curiosity has been satisfied. Thank you.

The lesson is don’t bring your PLB but use something like a SPOT if you think you’re going into hazardous areas in France.
I wouldn't be so adamant about not taking one. Only some countries in the EC limit use to the maritime environment. Most seem to allow it in all environments. Unfortunately, France, Portugal and Spain are three which do limit it to the maritime environment in one way or another.

For ANZ members, I have emailed AMSA (Australian Maritime Safety Agency) with some questions about this, and when I get a response I will let you know.

The USA authorities may contact the ANZ search and rescue coordination centre but it is likely to be low priority and probably does not trigger an emergency response.
This is a bleak and probably unjustified view of the AMSA JRCC (Joint Rescue Coordination Centre) response. They treat every EPIRB and PLB or other notification with the same urgency, whatever the source. Every notification, whether from a beacon or some other source, will be treated on the assumption it is a real distress. If you have any evidence this isn't so, you should report that. If not, it is inappropriate to make cynical and worrying statements like that.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I guess that the idea of forbidding PLB in France ground is that because France has not many desert areas, except perhaps in French Guyana.
Probably the authorities are afraid of too many signal alerts triggered by tourists badly prepared for hiking in mountains.
The general rule in France is that rescue is free, but there is a debate about the unwisdom of some people who starts a mountain tour without consulting the weather forecast first, or climbing the Mont Blanc with crocs... Has the collectivity to pay for rescuing such people ?

This is the text of the email reply I got from AMSA to my PLB query:
Thank you for your email.

I recommend to refer to the Cospas-Sarsat website for the appropriate SPOC (search and rescue or SAR point of contact) for the country you are travelling to and contact them to confirm you are legally allowed to use your beacon. You may also refer to the National Beacon Regulations for the Use of PLBs which includes land usage regulation information for PLB devices.

I recommend to contact your chosen airline for guidance on carrying distress beacons (if flying) as every airline and airport have differing requirements.

You are welcome to update your trip details via the registration portal for Search and Rescue’s reference should you take your PLB on your trip. The Rescue Coordination Center of the country where the beacon is detected will coordinate the search and rescue response, however AMSA Search and Rescue will provide the registration details, if known, and any other information it gathers from emergency contacts. AMSA will request information on the progress of the search and rescue.

Further information on taking your beacon overseas is available here: https://beacons.amsa.gov.au/activation/
Note that it describes how search coordination responsibilities are shared if a PLB is registered outside the country where it is activated. It is some comfort to me that any rescue effort will be coordinated in the country in which the PLB is activated, and there isn't some complex back and forth between agencies to get that underway.

Last edited:
Thank you, @dougfitz, for actually writing to the AMSA authority and relaying their information to the readers of this thread.

News articles are often not accurate but it is perhaps worth mentioning the following news item from 2018 in this context (see below). It corresponds to this information and describes a 2018 event as follows:

On the 22nd of September 2018 French authorities detected a transmission from a GME Personal Locator Beacon (PLB), activated by two Australians hiking in the French Pyrenees, when a member of the party suffered a life-threatening injury after being gored by a charging cow.
The man was left immobilised as the result of a 30 cm gash in his thigh which had severed the femoral artery, resulting in significant blood loss. The man’s hiking companion, luckily a trained medical doctor, was able to activate their GME MT410G PLB at 10.08 am local time, and help stabilise his condition whilst awaiting the arrival of emergency services.
The 406 Mhz transmission was received almost immediately by the Cospas-Sarsat satellite system which relayed the signal to the French Rescue Control Centre. The French RCC then liaised with Australian Maritime Safety Authority to confirm the details of the PLB’s registered owner, before commencing a rescue operation and tasking a rescue helicopter to attend the location.
[...]
Source: https://www.gme.net.au/au/news/gme-plb-assists-in-rescue-of-australian-hiker-in-france/

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
This thread made me curious about the actual situation concerning the use of PLBs in France and Germany, notably in the Alps, the only "wilderness" area where mobile phone coverage may be insufficient to call for help when in a life threatening situation. I am not certain to what extent comments in the thread correspond to the current and actual situation. What is noticeable from looking around on the net is the fact that the use of PLBs does not play a large role in discussions, it is practically absent. One poster said that he tried to promote their use in his Alpine rescue circles/Alpine association circles and found no interest.

What is used in the Alpine regions/countries are handheld radio sets of the walkie-talkie type. They have of course the great advantage that they allow communication in both directions, unlike PLBs. For example, the French PGHM unit based in Chamonix has a video describing the recommended procedure for providing information via radio in an emergency on their website. The Swiss emergency services also use a radio based emergency net that is open to all. Their website has a list of companies who market small emergency radio devices.

I understand that the OP wants to know about the legal situation of the use of (foreign registered) PLBs in France. It does not seem to be clear to me, despite opinions expressed in earlier comments.

Last edited:
This is the text of the email I received from the Norse Communications Authority about using my PLB when I am walking in Norway later this year.
Hi.

You can use your PLB in Norway. The prerequisite is that it is registered in Australia so that in case of emergency Norwegian SAR will cooperate with Australian SAR to be able to access the registered information.
While I suspect that the requirements might vary a little from country to country, it seems to me that it isn't too difficult to ask the right authorities and get a prompt response from them. It might be useful to ask the question here, but much more useful getting a response from a national authority to confirm the information we are sharing.

I had a look online and it looks like PLB’s are OK in France now.
There is a web site for registering emergency beacons including PLB’s.

Www.registre406.cnes.fr/homepage

I should have checked before the initial post. Sorry. But we had some interesting discussions. Thank you everyone for your input, it brought out some useful information.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I should have checked before the initial post. Sorry. But we had some interesting discussions. Thank you everyone for your input, it brought out some useful information.
I wouldn't be sorry about asking. After all, those of us interested have improved our understanding of what we can do and how this works. I, for one, am glad you did ask. It prompted me to seek out information that will be useful to me later this year when I do walk in Europe.

Thanks for the information.
However, take care to this:

Vérifier le codage de sa balise et démarrer le processus d’enregistrement​

"Check your beacon code and start registering process
Only the following country code are accepted by the sos beacons french register
(follow a list of country codes limited to France and dependencies..)"

On the same page you can check your beacon country code from its Unique Identified Number.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
I had a deLorme explorer. Garmin bought deLorme and still markets a newer version. For no cost (other than purchase), it can record your route, upload to a website, and display on a map. You can give friends/family a password to see the map.

For twelve US dollars a month (possibly higher now), it allowed you to send text messages or e-mails by Iridium satellite, optionally adding latitude/longitude. It also had the SOS button that was advertised as alerting emergency people near your location. And people you gave the access code to could even “ping" the device at any time to get its immediate location.

Typing a text or e-mail on it was extremely unpleasant, but I had it bluetooth paired to an iPad and could type the messages there.

Comments in this thread have wandered a bit from the Camino , although they have served to highlight the importance of carrying a PLB (or something similar). However I got a sense that some people are reluctant to carry a PLB or that they question it's value.
I have done a lot of hiking in New Zealand, as well as at home in Australia and elsewhere. I, and those I hike with all carry a PLB. I have been involved with three helicopter evacuations in the New Zealand South Island Mountains, one of which was me, so I believe a PLB is a 'must-have'.
The PLB system is very reliable. My PLB is registered with the SAR authorities in Australia. I put a note on my account each time I travel overseas with my PLB. When the PLB is activated the signal is picked up by the home-country SAR authorities who first check with someone on your nominated emergency contact list to confirm as far as possible that it is an authentic signal. They then contact (in my case) the New Zealand SAR authorities who immediately make contact with the SAR team in the appropriate area, who then, notify Ambulance and Police and they initiate the helicopter. This all happens very quickly.
The rescue cost situation varies in different countries, however one of the reasons adventure tourism is so successful in New Zealand is that; if you are hurt in the backcountry or the mountains, they will get you to the nearest hospital, whatever it takes, at no charge. That applies to everyone, whoever you are, including French nationals!

When the PLB is activated the signal is picked up by the home-country SAR authorities who first check with someone on your nominated emergency contact list to confirm as far as possible that it is an authentic signal. They then contact (in my case) the New Zealand SAR authorities who immediately make contact with the SAR team in the appropriate area, who then, notify Ambulance and Police and they initiate the helicopter.
@PeterH, this is not my understanding of the communications process involved, which was described in one of my earlier posts.

As I understand it, when a beacon alerts, that is reported to the regional control centre covering the area where the beacon is located, not the control centre in the country where it is registered.

They will then treat every beacon activation as an emergency, and will commence to activate a response team for the area where the beacon alerted. Whether that is a SAR team (in NZ), SES (in Oz) or the police, it will be whoever has the resources to mount a search and rescue operation. Who to contact in a particular area is likely to be covered in the area's emergency plan, rescue plan or disaster plan. They will not wait to make contact with your nominated emergency contacts to do this.

If the beacon is activated in another region, that region's control centre will contact the control centre where the beacon is registered, who will then attempt to get in touch with the nominated emergency contacts.

The activation will continue to be treated as an emergency until and unless it is shown not to be. I have heard of at least one inadvertent activation in my local national park. In this case, the person kept walking while the beacon was activated. Even though that might have indicated that there wasn't an emergency, it wasn't until the SES team arrived to confirm this that the alert was cancelled.

Irrespective of the detailed coordination mechanisms, it is good to hear that you had a good outcome when you needed help.

Thanks @dougfitz for your clarification of the emergency notification sequence. What you say is more logical. I'd assumed the Australian authorities got the signal first due to the speed of the response, verification of the signal, etc. Importantly the speed to which all concerned respond to a PLB signal, together with the coordination and dispatch of the helicopter is very impressive and certainly reassuring for anyone hiking in remote areas. On each of the three occasions I have been party to helicopter evacuation, the helicopter arrived in a bit over an hour from the time the PLB was activated.
This is all a long way off most Camino issues, however friends of mine recently did a Camino that included an end-to-end traverse of the Pyrenees and they certainly carried a PLB. My Camino was a much more sedate Camino Francis and I have to say it was a wonderful experience.

Most read last week in this forum

I've just finished walking Toulouse to Jaca on my pilgrimage from Rome to Santiago which I'm in doing gradually 3 weeks at a time. I spent a lot of time reading the posts about this section and...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back