• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Personal Reflections on the Camino Journey

Stumbledore

Time of past OR future Camino
Past: Camino Frances
Future: Camino Norte/Primitiv
I drafted this three days before finishing our hybrid Camino Del Norte, Camino Lebaniego and Camino Primitivo. Yes, for the record it was much more physically demanding than our Camino CF, but so worth the journey. I hope you enjoy my musings.

If you are walking the Camino under 40 years of age, you are trying to find yourself.
If you are walking the Camino over 40 years of age, you are trying to lose yourself.

If you come to a fork in the road, the Camino route will usually be the one going uphill.

The last 5 km is always harder than the first 15 km.

Your pack weighs 50 kilos everday when you begin, and 0 kilos one hour later.

A thousand generations of gnats and flies have tormented peregrinos. They know we are here and will always greet us!

More Camino days end with an uphill climb than a downhill.

Tha Camino reawakens your sense of smell: the forest; the fruit trees; the pungent odor from the plastic wrapped hay: horses, cows, sheep and chickens and their manure, and even fellow peregrinos and yourself!

How much water weight you carry in your pack is a function of how many bars there are along the stage.

Every bar is a Camino family reunion.

Camino treasure (objects found along the way) are to be shared, not kept.

The natural beauty of the Camino is only eclipsed by the beauty of the Camino family.

We are privileged to walk in the footsteps and share in some of the physical hardships of a hundred generations of peregrinos.

The best beer you will ever drink is at the end of a 30km day.

Second breakfasts aren't just for Hobbits.

Some of the best maps and guides are the local residents. We universally thank them for flagging us down, honking and pointing to keep us on course.

Every turn in the path provides an opportunity for the unexpected. Unparalleled views, walking amongst the clouds, animal greeters, rainbows, endless paths, hills, mountains, lakes and streams, beautiful villages and friendly locals.

The Camino fosters courage and compassion. Each day we both experience and observe peregrinos limping forward with blisters, ankle and knee pain. It is a shared pain.

Some of the best medicine for persistent and acute pain is conversation.

Bonds formed through shared hardship are unbreakable.

As I near the end of our Camino, my pack is sunbleached, my skin is sunburned, my pants are loose around the waist, my trekking poles have well worn tips, and there are no lugs left on the soles of my shoes. My soul and spirit are renewed.

The end of the Camino is bittersweet. On the one hand, you look forward to resting your battered body, and on the other you dread leaving your Camino family, and even ponder why can't you just walk everyday, forever.
View attachment 20230720_091944.mp4

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Very evocative.
Nice video, walking in breathtaking silence lets the Mother Earth speak to you.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.

Most read last week in this forum

Everyone talks about the wonderful café con leche, but what if tea is more to your liking? Can you even get tea along the Camino (Frances)? I don’t drink coffee but my morning cup of tea is...
Hey all. I haven't been on the forum for quite sometime (years probably). I walked the Camino Frances in 2016 and to say it was life changing for me is an understatement. On day 3, at the café at...
When you stop at a bar for a beer, wine, coffee or bite to eat, and sit at a table, is it expected that you will return your dirty dishes up to the bar before you leave? I alway do, as it seems...
I am just back from a few weeks on the Via the la Plata. Since 2015 I have been nearly every year in Spain walking caminoroutes I loved the café con leches. This year I did not like them as much...
Let me preface this by saying please understand I am not picking on anybody, I fully understand that mistakes happen and how. Been there, done that. I have been astonished to see so many lost...
Past,present and future Thanks for sharing your adventures! This forum will be a touchstone someday in the future ..where you had gone and how far, from where and when A Canterbery tales sort of...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back