• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Peter from Heerenveen

p.saffrie

Time of past OR future Camino
First Camino 16 May 2015
Future 2020- 2025-2030 etc
Hello,
I'm Peter from Heerenveen, Friesland, the Netherlands.
I will do my first Camino on May 16 2015.
All packed and ready to go.
53 years young and looking forward.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Hi Peter, nice to see another continental Europe member here ;-)

Do yourself a favour and post your packing list here and we all will help you to fine-tune it!

Buen Camino, SY

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Here's my packing list( including clothes I wear), it looks rather much but I got all lightweight and small stuff so my Osprey backpack is about 7 kg without water and food.
Much better than my time in the Service where during inflitrations it weight 65 kg. :)

1p shoes
1p sandals?
3p Falke socks
2 Crafts underpants quickly dry
2 Fjallraven cape point MT zip off
1 shirt short sleeve
1 fleece sweater
1 coat Soft Cell storm lock Jack Wolfskin
1 hat
1 sunglasses
1 glasses
1 shirt long sleeve
1 shorts
2 ibuprofen
1 paracetamol
2 secondskin
1 sports tape
1 kampherspiritus
1 betadine
1 backpack
1 sleeping bag
1 sleeping mat
1 mug
1 fork / spoon
1 clothespins
1 poncho 680 grams
1 pocket knife
toilet paper
1 staff
1 Backscratcher
3 pouches
1 sewing things
1 deo
2 quick-drying towel
1 shaver / batt
1 toothbrush
1 toothpaste
1 soap / shampoo
1 laundry detergent
1 earphones
1 mirror
1 sun charger / cord
1 battery
1 telephone / cord
1 headphone
1 Phone pod
2 waterproof notebook
1 pen / pencil
1 rope
1 headlight
3 carabiner
1 navigate E-trex
1 e-smoke
6 alkaline batteries
1 passport
1 pilgrims pass
1 pilgrims guide
2 photo
1 stone for Cruz de Ferro
1 traveling money

Hello,
I'm Peter from Heerenveen, Friesland, the Netherlands.
I will do my first Camino on May 16 2015.
All packed and ready to go.
53 years young and looking forward.
Hoi Peter, i 'm from "Zwijndrecht the Netherlands " . It's nice to see another Dutchman on this forum.I'm coming back to the camino at April the 17th. I wish you also a Buen Camino .

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Looks really good, here a few thoughts for you:

1p sandals? - Yes, take them, your feet will be happier in the evening because of them.
1 sleeping mat - unless you plan to stealth camp, you don't need it, but if it is very light (100g or less) you might use it for your roadside picnic/siesta, but if it is heavier it is overkill in my opinion.
1 mug - if there is a pot to make coffee/tea in the kitchen, there is nearly always a mug or glass also to drink it from.
1 fork / spoon - Spoon you really need only if you are yoghurt addict and want to eat it during the day. Fork? For what?
1 Backscratcher - Ehm, no, you can use your walking stick for that in an emergency.
1 deo - I never take one on the Camino ...
2 quick-drying towel - Why two? Also consider replacing them with one, larger, piece of fabric like a sarong or gauze (like the one used for fabric diapers, musseline?). Lighter and dries better.
1 shaver / batt - not always easy to find a plug near the mirror in the bathrooms, a traditional razor + soap might be better, but let's wait until some men comment on that point ;-)
1 soap / shampoo,1 laundry detergent - One soap for all is enough, pilgrim + clothes
1 earphones - Why?
1 mirror
- Why?
1 sun charger / cord - there are plugs in the albergues, cafes/bars/restaurants on the way ...
1 headphone - headphone and earphones?
1 rope - Why?
1 headlight - I never take one, but that is just me, in emergency case you can use the light of your phone
3 carabiner - Why?
1 navigate E-trex - GPS is overkill on the CF, no need to take it as the route is well marked.
6 alkaline batteries - There are a lot of batteries in your list, standard sizes are sold virtually in every store on the way.

Just food for thought. Buen Camino! SY

Here's my packing list( including clothes I wear), it looks rather much but I got all lightweight and small stuff so my Osprey backpack is about 7 kg without water and food.
Much better than my time in the Service where during inflitrations it weight 65 kg. :)

1p shoes
1p sandals?
3p Falke socks
2 Crafts underpants quickly dry
2 Fjallraven cape point MT zip off
1 shirt short sleeve
1 fleece sweater
1 coat Soft Cell storm lock Jack Wolfskin
1 hat
1 sunglasses
1 glasses
1 shirt long sleeve
1 shorts
2 ibuprofen
1 paracetamol
2 secondskin
1 sports tape
1 kampherspiritus
1 betadine
1 backpack
1 sleeping bag
1 sleeping mat
1 mug
1 fork / spoon
1 clothespins
1 poncho 680 grams
1 pocket knife
toilet paper
1 staff
1 Backscratcher
3 pouches
1 sewing things
1 deo
2 quick-drying towel
1 shaver / batt
1 toothbrush
1 toothpaste
1 soap / shampoo
1 laundry detergent
1 earphones
1 mirror
1 sun charger / cord
1 battery
1 telephone / cord
1 headphone
1 Phone pod
2 waterproof notebook
1 pen / pencil
1 rope
1 headlight
3 carabiner
1 navigate E-trex
1 e-smoke
6 alkaline batteries
1 passport
1 pilgrims pass
1 pilgrims guide
2 photo
1 stone for Cruz de Ferro
1 traveling money
Peter You have about the same weight as we carry .
I give you one Dutch proverb....alles wat je niet meeneemt is meegenomen !

All you don't take with you is an advantage !

You can discuss about a sleeping bag and sleeping mat ? A mug , fork ,spoon ? We never use it. Backscratcher ? Battery shaver (alt Gillette shaving blade )mirror ?
Suncharger. Everywhere are stopcontacten -enchufes in Spanish. Headphones if you allready listed earphones ? 6 batteries. Shops are everywhere. Sandals. We use crocks .

We go for the minimum weight this year

Bom caminho

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Hoi Peter, Welkom!

Amazing weight, so thats excellent. Are you planning on camping? If not, then there are some things you might as well leave at home. I am sure the "429" grams you'll save wont bother a former green baret (right?), but still, what you dont need, wont be in the way :)

But who am i to speak. I bring lots of useless stuff like a headlight AND my Fenix flashlight, just because its an awesome torch that shines like a car.
I bring earphones AND a small but cool and loud bluetooth speaker that i can clip on my backpack, just because i dont really like earphones and........lots more haha... You know what...forget what i said about leaving things at home ;-)

Are you walking the Frances?

Looks really good, here a few thoughts for you:

1p sandals? - Yes, take them, your feet will be happier in the evening because of them.
1 sleeping mat - unless you plan to stealth camp, you don't need it, but if it is very light (100g or less) you might use it for your roadside picnic/siesta, but if it is heavier it is overkill in my opinion.
1 mug - if there is a pot to make coffee/tea in the kitchen, there is nearly always a mug or glass also to drink it from.
1 fork / spoon - Spoon you really need only if you are yoghurt addict and want to eat it during the day. Fork? For what?
1 Backscratcher - Ehm, no, you can use your walking stick for that in an emergency.
1 deo - I never take one on the Camino ...
2 quick-drying towel - Why two? Also consider replacing them with one, larger, piece of fabric like a sarong or gauze (like the one used for fabric diapers, musseline?). Lighter and dries better.
1 shaver / batt - not always easy to find a plug near the mirror in the bathrooms, a traditional razor + soap might be better, but let's wait until some men comment on that point ;-)
1 soap / shampoo,1 laundry detergent - One soap for all is enough, pilgrim + clothes
1 earphones - Why?
1 mirror - Why?
1 sun charger / cord - there are plugs in the albergues, cafes/bars/restaurants on the way ...
1 headphone - headphone and earphones?
1 rope - Why?
1 headlight - I never take one, but that is just me, in emergency case you can use the light of your phone
3 carabiner - Why?
1 navigate E-trex - GPS is overkill on the CF, no need to take it as the route is well marked.
6 alkaline batteries - There are a lot of batteries in your list, standard sizes are sold virtually in every store on the way.

Just food for thought. Buen Camino! SY

Thanks for your thoughts, I will think it over. But like Frodo the Hobbit says; never leave home without a rope ;-)

True, but I carry one anyway to keep a record of where I walk. It's particularly interesting to go back and see where I went when I didn't see the markers! CF is only well marked if you are on the route. I remember one small slip costing me a bit over 5 km of extra walking before I got back on track, and another probably 4 km. The first was at the start, so it seemed like a big thing at the time, but by the time I had gotten a little lost every day, I was far more comfortable that being off route was not going to be the end of the world when I next had a major detour.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
True, but I carry one anyway to keep a record of where I walk. It's particularly interesting to go back and see where I went when I didn't see the markers! CF is only well marked if you are on the route. I remember one small slip costing me a bit over 5 km of extra walking before I got back on track, and another probably 4 km. The first was at the start, so it seemed like a big thing at the time, but by the time I had gotten a little lost every day, I was far more comfortable that being off route was not going to be the end of the world when I next had a major detour.
Same here, just to make the track and connect my pictures with it later on in Basecamp Adventure :)

Hoi Peter, Welkom!

Amazing weight, so thats excellent. Are you planning on camping? If not, then there are some things you might as well leave at home. I am sure the "429" grams you'll save wont bother a former green baret (right?), but still, what you dont need, wont be in the way :)

But who am i to speak. I bring lots of useless stuff like a headlight AND my Fenix flashlight, just because its an awesome torch that shines like a car.
I bring earphones AND a small but cool and loud bluetooth speaker that i can clip on my backpack, just because i dont really like earphones and........lots more haha... You know what...forget what i said about leaving things at home ;-)

Are you walking the Frances?

Yep the Frances and indeed green baret, thats maybe why I prepare for sleeping in the wild, old habbit ;-)

Peter... Welcome to the Forum and the Class of 2015!
As you can readily see, the Forum is a solid mix of folk from all walks in life with a heartfelt desire to "assist but never insist" fellow pilgrims as they prepare to walk the Way.
Buen Camino
Semper Fidelis
Arn

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
I don't know what half that stuff is (language barrier-my bad), but if your weight is only 7kg and you're happy with your items, then all I can suggest is "Carry On"!!!

Thanks for your thoughts, I will think it over. But like Frodo the Hobbit says; never leave home without a rope ;-)
The lines authors give their fictional characters in order to prepare them for some later, otherwise unimaginable, plot twist don't necessarily constitute sound advice in other circumstances. That said, I do always carry a few metres of 2 mm para cord as part of my repair kit, along with five or six small cable ties. I had always thought of the cable ties as single use - once used it isn't worth trying to unlock them. That is until I gave two to a French couple to help them repair the little mono-wheel trailer he was towing. A few days later I met them again. He had carefully unlocked the closure mechanism, and returned my ties to me.

I've taken them apart before as a last resort when I didn't have anything strong enuf to cut them.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-

Most read last week in this forum

Hello everyone, I’m about to embark on my first Camino this month in a week or so. I had plans to go with a friend but it fell through so now I’m visiting a friend in France until I work up the...
Hello all fellow pilgrims! To celebrate my 70th birthday I'll be following the Frances path from St Jean Pied de Port to Santiago de Compostela. Really excited abut the journey for me starting...
We all know there are a lot of bikers on the shared Camino path. I was knocked over in the town of Villatuerta and had to return immediately to the US for treatment after destroying my Camino on...
Good evening all! We began our yearly route to Santiago, today! We 4 Peregrinos resumed our Camino at Rabanal del Camino and walked to Acebo. We encountered Snow, Hail Stones and rain. We loved...
Hi Camino Family, I am travelling from Australia to start the Le Puy Camino May 27th 2024. If there is anyone else planning on walking around this time, it would be great to connect. I speak...
June 22 -@Amachant (SJPP)

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.