• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Physical training needed to cycle?

Cody dalrymple

Time of past OR future Camino
october 2017
Hi,

A friend and I are hoping to cycle the Camino, Saint-Jean-Pied-de-Port to Santiago, in October. Ideally we want to aim to do it in 12 days, while giving ourselves 2 extra days to rest/explore/catch up if needed (worst comes to worst, we have also another week in Spain after that but we want to use it to rock climb). We both bike a decent amount on city roads, but I'm wondering what the off-road experience and elevation changes are like. What level of fitness/bike experience is needed to do the camino in this time? We have a little over a month and a half- does anyone have any recommendations on how we should train?

Thanks!

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Hi,

A friend and I are hoping to cycle the Camino, Saint-Jean-Pied-de-Port to Santiago, in October. Ideally we want to aim to do it in 12 days, while giving ourselves 2 extra days to rest/explore/catch up if needed (worst comes to worst, we have also another week in Spain after that but we want to use it to rock climb). We both bike a decent amount on city roads, but I'm wondering what the off-road experience and elevation changes are like. What level of fitness/bike experience is needed to do the camino in this time? We have a little over a month and a half- does anyone have any recommendations on how we should train?

Thanks!

It depends on a few factors.....

Are you planning on following the walker's path (or at least as much as possible)? If so, be ready for some places where the ground is very rough, the path is very narrow and some climbs will be walking. Some of the surfaces can be deceptive. Not meaning to scare you, but in a moment of quiet contemplation while cycling on loose stones and sand I fell off my bike dislocating my shoulder, bruising some ribs and losing far more skin than I was comfortable with ;-)
Also, the weather can have a significant impact. Dry earth can turn to mud quickly in heavy rain!
Your average speed on the path will be a lot lower than on the road.
The road is longer, but probably faster and the walkers will appreciate you more! ;-) An added plus is that Spanish drivers are incredibly respectful of cyclists on the road, so there are no worries there.

Of course, you can always combine the two options.

Are you bringing your own bikes or renting there? If your own bikes are they set up for carrying your baggage and is the gearing good for climbing? Are they suitable for a bit of off-road? Get them serviced before you go, especially the brakes and know how to replace brake pads or service disc brakes.
Renting would be clever. There are many shops/companies offering suitable bikes with appropriate racks etc.

There are a couple of heavy ascents, and where the surfaces are poor (think lots of loose stones) riding and indeed walking can be tough - but doable.

I would imagine that most people who are reasonably healthy should be able to cycle the route. Cycling has many advantages - namely the ability to take interesting diversions off the route without expending too much energy.

I would suggest that 12 days may be pushing it - not necessarily from a physical point of view, but from a Camino experience point of view. There is so much to do and see and so many interesting people to meet. I think I did SJPP to Santiago in 15 days then on to the West coast, eventually to Finisterre.

For practice, cycle on all the gravel paths you can. Be comfortable riding a bike with baggage on loose surfaces. And cycle up some hills! :) And down some steep ones with your bags!

And always, ALWAYS use your bell, call out and slow down when passing people walking!

If you find the path too hard, you can always take the road. If the hills are too much, you can always throw your bike in a bus! Just don't do what I did on day 1 and try to cycle the walker's route to Roncevalles :) I carried the bike more that day than he carried me :)

Buen Camino

Frank

I cycled this route last September in 15 days, with a few short days due to illness.
Both the walkers and yourselves will probably enjoy it more if you stick to the roads as I did.
BTW, it will be dark until after 8am so that limits the cycling day.
Finding the way in and out of towns and cities is a problem if you don't follow the walkers path ( no yellow arrows) and I found the green Michelin map/guide helpful.
The London CSJ have a cycling guide which was useful.
Maps.me is a good resource for downloadable maps which can be used offline. Again useful if not following the arrows.
You may not pass this way again, so allow yourselves the time 'to be' rather than simply 'to do' and enjoy it.
Buen Camino
Mike

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
12 days is pushing it; I did it in July but was averaging 70kms a day with a couple of 80-90 km days thrown in. If you want to actually ride the entire route and not walk large portions or take a bus or a cab, yes--start riding as much as you can. I live in Southern France in the foothills of the Pyrénées and ride my mountain bike several times a week in the forests and trails--lots of off-road climbing and I found the Camino was work; harder than I thought it would be but I had an absolute blast pushing myself and being uncomfortable for 12 days. I had the fortune of riding my own bike though and I think this made a big difference because I spent a couple of months testing equipment on the trails at home before I left. I rode about 80% of the route on the hikers trail and there was lots of technical (narrow rocks, roots, etc) climbing and descending. I had a bell but never used it; I would just slow down as I approached walkers and call out, 'Hola!' As I passed, I would smile and say, (Gracias! Buen Camino!' It worked every time and the hikers looked genuinely pleased that I didn't scare them.

The road is generally easier and quicker (if you don't get lost which I did numerous times) but there are LONG stretches that are incredibly boring and featureless. Also long periods of not seeing another Pilgrim, trash in the ditches and near constant semi truck traffic blasting past. I had to consult a Camino app on my phone to see where I was because the markings are almost non-existent on the road. The hikers trail is much better marked and has loads more services for Pilgrims. Also, I felt much more connected to the 'Camino Spirit' on the hikers trail. On the long climbs (Over the Pyrénées and Alto de Poyo); I took the road because there were bottlenecks on the hiker's trail and there was nowhere for them to let bikers pass.

If you don't want to physically punish yourself, I would give it 14-15 days. I did it in 12 because I wanted to see how I fared riding hard day after day and was very comfortable off-road. It is a challenge to ride a (rental) mountain bike with panniers over rough terrain if you're not used to it; the descents can be very tricky and dangerous. If you don't want to take that many risks and do it in 12 days, I would stick to the road for most of it. I can't wait to something similar next year; there are a couple of shorter Pilgrimages in France that I'm interested in. I look forward to hearing about your trip; Hope this post helps!

Buen Camino!

Last edited:
12 days is pushing it; I did it in July but was averaging 70kms a day with a couple of 80-90 km days thrown in. If you want to actually ride the entire route and not walk large portions or take a bus or a cab, yes--start riding as much as you can. I live in Southern France in the foothills of the Pyrénées and ride my mountain bike several times a week in the forests and trails--lots of off-road climbing and I found the Camino was work; harder than I thought it would be but I had an absolute blast pushing myself and being uncomfortable for 12 days. I had the fortune of riding my own bike though and I think this made a big difference because I spent a couple of months testing equipment on the trails at home before I left. I rode about 80% of the route on the hikers trail and there was lots of technical (narrow rocks, roots, etc) climbing and descending. I had a bell but never used it; I would just slow down as I approached walkers and call out, 'Hola!' As I passed, I would smile and say, (Gracias! Buen Camino!' It worked every time and the hikers looked genuinely pleased that I didn't scare them.

The road is generally easier and quicker (if you don't get lost which I did numerous times) but there are LONG stretches that are incredibly boring and featureless. Also long periods of not seeing another Pilgrim, trash in the ditches and near constant semi truck traffic blasting past. I had to consult a Camino app on my phone to see where I was because the markings are almost non-existent on the road. The hikers trail is much better marked and has loads more services for Pilgrims. Also, I felt much more connected to the 'Camino Spirit' on the hikers trail. On the long climbs (Over the Pyrénées and Alto de Poyo); I took the road because there were bottlenecks on the hiker's trail and there was nowhere for them to let bikers pass.

If you don't want to physically punish yourself, I would give it 14-15 days. I did it in 12 because I wanted to see how I fared riding hard day after day and was very comfortable off-road. It is a challenge to ride a (rental) mountain bike with panniers over rough terrain if you're not used to it; the descents can be very tricky and dangerous. If you don't want to take that many risks and do it in 12 days, I would stick to the road for most of it. I can't wait to something similar next year; there are a couple of shorter Pilgrimages in France

If you don't want to physically punish yourself, I would give it 14-15 days. I did it in 12 because I wanted to see how I fared riding hard day after day and was very comfortable off-road. It is a challenge to ride a (rental) mountain bike with panniers over rough terrain if you're not used to it; the descents can be very tricky and dangerous. If you don't want to take that many risks and do it in 12 days, I would stick to the road for most of it. I can't wait to something similar next year; there are a couple of shorter Pilgrimages in France that I'm interested in. I look forward to hearing about your trip; Hope this post helps!

Buen Camino!
Thanks Ru1036, very helpful insight. Whilst my husband is a very fit mtb rider, Im not quite there. Can comfortably do 50-60km per day on road, but am wondering how much I need to adjust those distances to ride much of the trail on the foot trail. 50km per day? Too little? Never ridden with panniers either. Thanks for suggestions.

I cycled from Pamplona to Santiago back in 2015 (if you search these pages you will find my story). As others have related there is a difference between being "cycle fit" and "camino fit", especially if you have 8kg (20 lb) on the back of the bike. Even with a mountain bike/off-road hybrid there are sections of the walking track that cyclist should avoid. Here are some sections (imho) that are either marginal or unsuitable: Alto del Perdon - marginal, if busy with walkers then reconsider - the descent is a real tough one; avoid the old Roman bridge immediately west of Cirauqui (take the road); also recommend road from Torres del Rio to Viana; Atapuerca to Villafria is a "pick-up and carry" (advise following the road. From Rabanal to Molinaseca is definitely a road section.
If you are French fluent there is a very good Camino Cycle guide which offers alternative tracks/roads. The Michellin Guide to the Camino also provides extra local roads that Brierley omits. Buen Camino.🚲;)

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-

Most read last week in this forum

I Willl start biking from SJPD on 9.may with Ebike. I have a list of bike friendly albergs is there somebody who have experience with charging batery in such alberg. Do i need afdition 220v...
Hi all I am considering cycling the coastal route but wondered if any / many albergues have minimum cycling distances. Eg do I have to ride a minimum amount per day to be able to stay in an...

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back