• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Picking a date for my return flight

andrea_jawn

Time of past OR future Camino
Planning my first camino - Primitivo Sept 2019
I think I'm ready to purchase my air travel for my first camino, the Primitivo starting in Oviedo on 9/1. I'm excited with occasional butterflies because I found a great price on a round-trip flight so feel I need to book very soon. Does a return flight on Tuesday 9/17 sound like a reasonable amount of time to experience the Primitivo? I don't need to be back to work until the following Monday 9/23. I'm wondering what your thoughts are on the balance of time to walk and then time to process the experience before going back to the work life routine. I think I've been dreaming about arriving for so long that the idea of picking a return date to book my flight is throwing me for a loop!

also...
Arriving in Madrid around 5pm on a Saturday, is it simple leaving Madrid for Oviedo on a weekend evening?

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I think I'm ready to purchase my air travel for my first camino, the Primitivo starting in Oviedo on 9/1. I'm excited with occasional butterflies because I found a great price on a round-trip flight so feel I need to book very soon. Does a return flight on Tuesday 9/17 sound like a reasonable amount of time to experience the Primitivo? I don't need to be back to work until the following Monday 9/23. I'm wondering what your thoughts are on the balance of time to walk and then time to process the experience before going back to the work life routine. I think I've been dreaming about arriving for so long that the idea of picking a return date to book my flight is throwing me for a loop!

also...
Arriving in Madrid around 5pm on a Saturday, is it simple leaving Madrid for Oviedo on a weekend evening?
If you are arriving at 5pm you probably won't be out of the airport until about 6 pm. you will probably be tired and jet lagged by then. Then it looks like you have about a 5 hour (or more) journey to Oviedo by train or bus. I suggest that you spend the night in Madrid, then continue on to Oviedo in the morning.
And I would take as many days as possible in Spain. You can spend a couple of days in Santiago or walk or bus to the coast, which would be a good way to "de-Camino". Give yourself three or four days back home to recover.

Rome2Rio.com is a good source for transportation options between Madrid and Oviedo

The reality is that if you arrive in Madrid on the evening of August 31, you probably won’t start walking until September 2. There are trains and buses from Madrid on a Saturday evening, but as Trecile says, it’s a 5 hour journey, plus transition time, so if you’re coming from Philadelphia, you won’t have slept for 2 days if you ty to start walking on Sunday, September 1. You can find bus schedules from Madrid to Oviedo at https://www.alsa.com/en/web/bus/home. Train schedules at http://www.renfe.com/EN/viajeros/index.html. Might be better to spend Saturday night in Madrid, then take a bus or train the next morning. Or spend Sunday (when you wake up) exploring the lovely city of Oviedo.

If you start on September 2 from Oviedo, your realistic best case scenario is you arrive in Santiago on September 15. That would mean averaging more than 15 miles a day through very hilly country. Only you can decide whether that’s realistic. You could probably get a flight or train out of Santiago to Madrid late on the 15th, and certainly on the 16th, to then catch your flight back to the States on the 17th, but it wouldn’t leave you much time to “smell the flowers.”

Another possibility would be to just walk from Oviedo to Lugo (also a major city), which is 100 k / 62 miles before Santiago, and from there return to Madrid. That would make your entire journey more leisurely. Lugo is a fantastic city, and makes a fine end point, too.

If grabbing the cheap flight is a priority, then go for it. Worst case scenario is you don’t get to Santiago, but there’s nothing sacred about that.

It’s all good, as my son says.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
From experience I would strongly suggest you shoot for a return date of Saturday the 21st. Gives you time to spend the night in Madrid, train to Oviedo the next morning and have time to see the Cathedral and enjoy Oviedo. Start walking the day after that. Enough days to walk without a marathon pace and still enjoy Santiago when you arrive. Rest and then fly home on Saturday. Rest Sunday before going back to work.
Gives you breathing room in case the Primitivo kicks your butt half way through as it does to many first time hikers :)

also...
Andrea, I am watching your thead with interest, as I plan to walk a hybrid of the Frances/Salvador/Primitivo in the Holy Year 2021.

Andrea, I am watching your thead with interest, as I plan to walk a hybrid of the Frances/Salvador/Primitivo in the Holy Year 2021.
Thank you, Michael - I didn't know about the San Salvador until now, it's stunning!

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.

Most read last week in this forum

I begin my first Camino in mid-May from SJPdP. Due to time constraints related to available PTO, I unfortunately have to skip a few towns along the way if I am to start in SJPdP and end in...
I have just popped my Targeta Dorada (Golden Ticket) in my packing box. They cost €12 and cannot be bought online, but can be renewed online. If journeying too or from the Camino on Spanish trains...
Hi there i'm a first time Camino walker - planning for Sept this year. I have a question if anyone can help. We are going with friends but we can't fly out at the same time so we are going to fly...
Warning for those flying in to France -- there's a strike tomorrow April 25th, which likely will NOT prevent flying in or out of the country on international flights, but is very likely to affect...
A friend due to walk from Sarria to SdC next month is now injured still wants to go along with group walking. Any advice on transport options for him to go from Stage to Stage. All options...
I am flying to Santiago via Dublin and have about a 10 hour layover. I arrive 0830 and my flight on Ryanair is not till 1930. Any suggestions on how I can spend my time? Is it practical to go...

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.