• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Pilgrim "supplies"

biloute

Time of past OR future Camino
Chemin du Puy & Camino Francés (summer 2014), Chemin du Puy & Camino Francés (possible summer 2019)
A few questions about "supplies".

1. Walking from Le Puy to Santiago is significantly longer than the "regular" Camino Francés. Will the créanciale hold all the stamps? Or is it a larger passport if you get it in Le Puy? How often are stamps available?

2. I've seen recommendations to take trekking poles, but I've always been drawn to the wooden walking sticks you can find in American national parks and would like to use one of these "traditional" staffs. Are they just big sticks you find along the way or are the available for purchase along the camino? And how could I get it back to the States (thinking of air travel)?

3. I've read a lot about Compeed for blisters. Is this available in France as well as Spain, under the same name?

I think I had more questions, but can't recall them at the moment. I'll have to update later if I remember them. Any suggestions or advice you have are welcome.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
1) You can buy multiple passports - get a new one when you fill your first one
2) Poles versus sticks, one versus two....oh my, you've opened a can of worms with that one
3) Blister care...another can....but just read what Falcon has to say on the subject and you'll be right
4) You haven't asked it yet, but you'll be back wondering about one pair of socks or two (or three)? Guidebook or not? Boots or shoes? Is my pack too big? Don't you tin I should take a.....?

The answer to the last question is usually "Probably not, but if you discover you can't do without one you can buy one once you're there"

4) You haven't asked it yet, but you'll be back wondering about one pair of socks or two (or three)? Guidebook or not? Boots or shoes? Is my pack too big?

I kind of got answers for these. I went to a camping/hiking specialty store and asked a bunch of questions, told them what I was doing... One of the people who helped me told me about socks a bit. I also know I want boots, for the added ankle support. I twisted an ankle bad enough once that occasionally it still bothers me, and don't want to risk injuring it again if I can help it.

I have a couple guidebooks already, but I might get Miam Miam Dodo for the resources. It seems to be the definitive guide when it comes to places to stay, eat and other locations in towns.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I kind of got answers for these. I went to a camping/hiking specialty store and asked a bunch of questions, told them what I was doing... One of the people who helped me told me about socks a bit. I also know I want boots, for the added ankle support. I twisted an ankle bad enough once that occasionally it still bothers me, and don't want to risk injuring it again if I can help it.

I have a couple guidebooks already, but I might get Miam Miam Dodo for the resources. It seems to be the definitive guide when it comes to places to stay, eat and other locations in towns.

There are TWO BOOKS you will need for your journey , they both have the title MMDD.
Sandals as well as shoes/boots. There are areas your feet will love with the open air in " both countries.
You are going on a wonderful journey , PLEASE take your time and enjoy .

A few questions about "supplies".

1. Walking from Le Puy to Santiago is significantly longer than the "regular" Camino Francés. Will the créanciale hold all the stamps? Or is it a larger passport if you get it in Le Puy? How often are stamps available?

2. I've seen recommendations to take trekking poles, but I've always been drawn to the wooden walking sticks you can find in American national parks and would like to use one of these "traditional" staffs. Are they just big sticks you find along the way or are the available for purchase along the camino? And how could I get it back to the States (thinking of air travel)?

3. I've read a lot about Compeed for blisters. Is this available in France as well as Spain, under the same name?

I think I had more questions, but can't recall them at the moment. I'll have to update later if I remember them. Any suggestions or advice you have are welcome.
I had a pilgrim passport from the American Friends and had to get a new one in Ponferrada when I did the walk you are doing. Just plan on getting a new one in a place that has them before you run out.

You can get extra passports from American Pilgrims. Also, you can pick up a passport in Le Puy and a second one at Saint Jean Pied de Port. I was glad that I had extra passports because I enjoyed collecting the unusual stamps along the way and never had to worry about running out of space.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
You can purchase trekking stick in Le Puy or SJPdP or many other towns on the camino or just find one along the way. As for getting it back home, you will have to purchase a tube or something to protect it in checked baggage. As for compeed, it is readily available in France, Spain, Portugal, etc at the many pharmacies you will pass.

Any idea how much a pilgrim staff costs in Le Puy? Examples of what they look like? I found two examples online, one that was over $100 and looked really nice, and one that was only 10€ and was more touristy-looking. And are there stores that cater to pilgrims?

Most read last week in this forum

Hello everyone! Well.. one week from today will begin my walk across France and Spain. I see a number of posts regarding a wave of walkers and room accommodation limitations. I am one who is...
Hi. Here's a problem to which I can't find a solution. Any suggestions gratefully received! Last October I walked from Le Puy to Conques, but had to return home due to a family crisis. I'm very...
Hi everyone, I’m currently on the GR 65 going from Le Puy to Conques. I walked this camino in 2014 and now I find myself not recognizing a single bit of literally anything and I’m wondering if...
hallo. We have been using La Malle Postale to transfer our luggage each night from Le Puy en Velay. We have bad backs. They have been a great company and very reliable. Unfortunately we have just...
Hi- I am starting the Via Podiensis Camino at the end of the month. I know people swear by the MMDD guide book for this camino but I am not sure why. So far I have been making use of the...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back