A donation to the forum removes ads for you, and supports Ivar in his work running it

Advertisement

Buy any book, get free camino shell

Pilgrims' Mass - "Pilgrims arrived from these locations"

MichaelSG

Retired member
Camino(s) past & future
Not enough
Before the pilgrims mass, they usually announce a long list of pilgrim arrivals, stating the nationalities and starting location. How does that list get generated or how do you get on the list? I would have thought it was from statistics collected from the Pilgrims Office but for the second Camino in a row, at least my wife was disappointed not hearing a Singaporean mentioned. The last time we walked, no mention was made of a Singaporean arrival for five days after we got our Compostela. This time, the day we registered for the Compostela and the day after, neither of us got a mention (I assume it was our Argentina friend who was supposedly the only arrival from Lisbon either day). I'm more curious than disappointed myself but it would be nice to know. I recorded the announcements in case I had trouble with the accent but that didn't reveal anything.

Camino(s) past & future
Except the Francés
I'm sorry you missed out on that. On my first arrival in Santiago nearly 4 years ago I was completely ignorant of what to expect, and was just enjoying the Saint Andrew's day midday mass the day after my arrival when suddenly, in a short list, I heard the cardinal mention "uno del Reino Unido, desde Sevilla" and realised with a start "gosh, that's me!" It was an almost embarrassingly special moment.

tyrrek

Veteran Member
Camino(s) past & future
SJPP-SdC (4-5/2011), Ferrol-SdC (9/2011), Pamplona-SdC (3-4/2012), Camino Finisterre (10/2012), Ourense-SdC (5/2014)
Yes, I'm pretty sure it's from the Pilgrim Office. I don't think anywhere else would have the information.

There may just be too many nationalities and starting points to mention them all individually at busy periods. That would be a pity.

Camino(s) past & future
September 2014 Leon-Santiago de Compostella
I'm pretty sure it's from the Pilgrim Office. I don't think anywhere else would have the information.
Actually... Before mass you have to go to the sacristy and inform one of the nuns or the attendant at the door. I was the Deacon of the Word at the pilgrims mass 3 weeks ago (One of the high moments of my life, proclaiming the gospel to thousands of fellow peregrinos) while presenting my Letters of Faculty (A nice letter from my bishop stating that I'm a cool guy and I have his permission to serve at mass outside of our diocese) in the sacristy there were a couple of peregrinos providing their info to be announced at the mass.

"Viva Cristo Rey!!"
DHS

Lydia Gillen

Camino(s) past & future
Camino Frances 2007/8/9 2011 (C.F 2015)
My understanding is that at about 15 minutes before the pilgrim Mass begins someone leaves the pilgrim Office with the statistics and that person reads them out.

OLDER threads on this topic

A few items available from the Camino Forum Store

Advertisement

Booking.com

Most read today

Most downloaded Resources

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Forum Store

Camino Forum Store

Casa Ivar Newsletter

Forum Donation

Forum Donation
For those with no forum account, it is possible to donate here as well. Thank you for your support! Ivar

Follow Casa Ivar on Instagram

When is the best time to walk?

• January

Votes: 9 1.2%
  • February

Votes: 4 0.5%
  • March

Votes: 34 4.4%
  • April

Votes: 112 14.6%
  • May

Votes: 188 24.6%