• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

October against Pilgrims?

MilaChernii

Time of past OR future Camino
30th of September 2023 - Camino Portuguese
Hi, dear pilgrims! I decided not to overthink and just sending this request to the most welcoming and warm community.
I am gonna have my first Camino, starting from Porto on Sep 30th, going Coastal - Central (half&half). So, reading all threads, I feel like a chicken 🐣 a bit, as still have questions.

I will be on Camino for 2 weeks of October and I never had stable relationships with its weather. I will be grateful for any comments here (that will keep me more relaxed to start my Camino) 🫂

1. What if ... it's heavy rain several days in the row. Did you face that on Camino? What if clothes cannot dry - are there laundries to dry it there? Did someone take any dryers for boots?
2. What if ... I fall ill during my way? My immunity is not tolerant to rains and cold for a long time. So I just want to avoid that story with Frenadol etc. Is there any advice on keeping fit and healthy in rubbish weather?
3. What if ... it's too empty on Camino? I have no expectations, tbh. And I am also aware that in Oct Camino Portuguese is less loaded than Camino Frances. But I really open to meet amazing people on my way and to have insights connected with that. Did any of you, guys, had totally "just by my own" Camino?

To end with, these "what if" are more about suggestions.. or (maybe even) fears. But anyway, my excitement is way much bigger than any fear. I try to go with a flow, but still want to be prepared with the most important issues.
Thank you and Buen Camino to everyone!

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
What if ... it's heavy rain several days in the row
What would you do at home in this situation?

There are many options. If you have allowed time then you could stop walking until it stops raining. You could just walk in the rain, it is no big deal really, just some relatively clean water that falls on you.

What if ... I fall ill during my way
What would you do at home when you fall ill? Why would falling ill on Camino be much different to that?

What if ... it's too empty on Camino?
Well you could always try talking to local people rather than assuming that all your interactions will be with other visitors to Portugal and Spain.

Last edited:
Great questions.
Your first one reminded me to ask Santa for a light weight travel hair dryer. A lady I walked with on the CP in February 2020 used one, and I wish I had one last November.

Early October may be different, but late October and November nights can be damp so dry cloths can absorb moisture if left hanging out overnight.

The double zip-dock freezer bags we used for organization and rain came in very handy to help damp proof dry cloths overnight, especially on the CP and in the hills of Galicia late October and November.

Enjoy your walk.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
What if ... it's heavy rain several days in the row. Did you face that on Camino?
Of course. You will not melt, honest. We were all born wet. It isn't necessarily fun all the time, but that's how we grow resilience. That said, if your health is iffy, take an extra inner layer (merino top and leggings) to keep you warm in the wet. And an Altus.

Many albergues have clothes dryers, which is a help. And most albergues have newspaper to crumple and put in your shoes overnight.

What if ... I fall ill during my way? My immunity is not tolerant to rains and cold for a long time
If it's too intense for a day or so, that's a good time to take a rest day, finding comfortable digs so you can just stay warm and cozy.

What if ... it's too empty on Camino?
Then you'll find a way to walk with yourself with ease. But honestly, on the Portuguese that's an unlikely situation.

Did any of you, guys, had totally "just by my own" Camino
Yes, and it's both challenging and exhilarating. Scary at times and very freeing. A relief to just walk my own way and a time of touching vulnerability. And being ok in the end.

It's normal to feel like a chicken before you walk, but once you slip into the Camino groove, all the angst will dissolve.

I did this section in early October 2021. I've just checked the pics and it was sun, sun, sun and sun all the way. The only issue I had was the late starts as sunrise is quite late.

If you get bad weather, you'll just be unlucky.

Attachments

• IMG_2739.JPG
    IMG_2739.JPG
    2.4 MB · Views: 14
  • IMG_2759.JPG
    IMG_2759.JPG
    5 MB · Views: 13
  • IMG_2771.JPG
    IMG_2771.JPG
    3.9 MB · Views: 14
  • IMG_2809.JPG
    IMG_2809.JPG
    2.1 MB · Views: 14
@MilaChernii , I love your analogy of a chicken hatching. It really is like that on your first Camino - you've read all the posts you can on here, you've watched YouTube videos and yet you've never actually done it.
But you'll be fine. Yes the rain may fall and you'll get wet. But so long as you stay warm and have your things well protected, whilst not wonderful, it's also not the end. If you haven't got dry sacks line your backpack with a rubbish bag. Whilst rain jackets are great, in my personal view ponchos are better when you're wearing a backpack because then the water can't get in between you and your bag which will eventually soak it. And if you even think it might rain put your pack cover on then your dry things will hopefully stay dry. And not being able to dry everything overnight is precisely why I and many others here carry one extra base layer set - socks, underpants and merino.
But you've read all these types of things here before.
Most of us start alone, and as you may have seen here sometimes it can stay that way for a while. However it's likely that you will meet others along the way. The Portuguese people are very friendly, greet everybody you meet, Pilgrim and locals alike. A friendly smile goes a long way to lightening somebody's day!
As mentioned above many Albergues have dryers, and occasionally you'll come across laundromats. Offer to share with other pilgrims. Ask other pilgrims to join you if you're sitting in a cafe or restaurant and ask them if you can join them if they're there first.
Bom Caminho!

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Hi, dear pilgrims! I decided not to overthink and just sending this request to the most welcoming and warm community.
I am gonna have my first Camino, starting from Porto on Sep 30th, going Coastal - Central (half&half). So, reading all threads, I feel like a chicken 🐣 a bit, as still have questions.

I will be on Camino for 2 weeks of October and I never had stable relationships with its weather. I will be grateful for any comments here (that will keep me more relaxed to start my Camino) 🫂

1. What if ... it's heavy rain several days in the row. Did you face that on Camino? What if clothes cannot dry - are there laundries to dry it there? Did someone take any dryers for boots?
2. What if ... I fall ill during my way? My immunity is not tolerant to rains and cold for a long time. So I just want to avoid that story with Frenadol etc. Is there any advice on keeping fit and healthy in rubbish weather?
3. What if ... it's too empty on Camino? I have no expectations, tbh. And I am also aware that in Oct Camino Portuguese is less loaded than Camino Frances. But I really open to meet amazing people on my way and to have insights connected with that. Did any of you, guys, had totally "just by my own" Camino?

To end with, these "what if" are more about suggestions.. or (maybe even) fears. But anyway, my excitement is way much bigger than any fear. I try to go with a flow, but still want to be prepared with the most important issues.
What if? You will find out. I only did the non coastal route, but there was a steady group, loosely speaking, so never alone, and always supportive. The other day I received an email from a faithful walking companion who adopted us and we him, and this is ten years after the camino!
Bravo, chica!
Buen camino, translate in your head - or use chatgpt. A world I know I need to learn about...

Mila
I have found that if I take a good poncho I have the confidence to face the rainiest days - even when there are a few in a row. I know that whatever happens, me, my pack and its contents will stay dry.
Try and get one which, when you are wearing your pack underneath, goes down below your knees, so that less of the water trickles down your legs to your socks and shoes.
I also recommend having one with a zip down the front (which is good for ventilation when there is a light or intermittent rain) and also with sleeves. This is one of the more expensive Decathlon/Quechua ones, but it has all the features, as well as high visibility which is useful as car drivers (often alarming in Portugal...) have reduced visibility in gloomy rainy conditions. But you'll see lots of people recommend the Altus ponchos as well.
You may never need to use it, but knowing you have it in your pack can reduce a lot of anxiety about weather.
You mention boots. And while it's true that good quality heavy leather hiking boots can be completely waterproof, I don't think they are the best option for such a flat camino, often on hard surfaces.
My recommendation (which I'm sure will be contested by others here!) is for lightweight cushioned trail shoes. If you get these with a 'waterproof' lining, like Gortex or eVent (or unbranded) these will generally keep your feet dry in light rain or medium rain for a couple of hours - and that is often enough. Take a few pairs of socks. If you have a wet day and then a dry day, and your shoes haven't dried out fully, you can put on dry socks to start, which will take the remaining moisture out of your shoes and then switch to a fresh pair after about an hour.
You are unlikely to get multiple days of medium/heavy rain, but if you do, I recommend applying Vaseline to your feet in the morning, as this seems to help prevent blisters on continually wet feet - for me anyway!
You may possibly have one or two days where you don't meet other pilgrims (although this is unlikely), that will be OK, because the people in Portugal are so friendly and helpful that you will hardly notice.

I walked the Portugues in the first two weeks of October 2018. Of course, weather can vary year by year so what I experienced may be quite different from what you experience. But for what it is worth, we didn't get a lot of rain. In fact, one Brazilian pilgrim I met shipped her rain gear to Santiago after the first few days because the weather was so nice. We ended up getting a day or two of rain in Galicia (of course!) toward the end.

1. A number of albergues have dryers along with washers if it comes to that and a number of towns have laundromat with dryers. I don't think it ever came quite to that with me. Some albergues keep newspaper to stuff your shoes/boots with to help them dry if they get soaked. On my last Camino, that was available when I needed it.

3. I had no issues meeting fellow pilgrims on the Portugues in October and I think the route has only got more popular since 2018.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
What would you do at home in this situation?

There are many options. If you have allowed time then you could stop walking until it stops raining. You could just walk in the rain, it is no big deal really, just some relatively clean water that falls on you.

What would you do at home when you fall ill? Why would falling ill on Camino be much different to that?

Well you could always try talking to local people rather than assuming that all your interactions will be with other visitors to Spain.
Didn't see any assumption that all interactions would be with other visitors to Spain - not sure why you needed to respond like this. In fact she is starting in Portugal not Spain. Since I joined this forum recently I've been disheartened by the number of snarky responses I've seen from more experenced pilgrims and even some veteran members. Is this the spirit of the camino or this forum that the veteran / experienced pilgrims treat us newbies like we're stupid for asking reasonable questions or openly expressing concerns?

starting ... on Sep 30th
Well, you're showing more sense than most -- though you will get wet !!
1. What if ... it's heavy rain several days in the row.
Then you'll get wet.
What if clothes cannot dry
They will -- though you probably need one more t-shirt than you thought. Oh, and an extra pair of socks, just in case.
- are there laundries to dry it there?
Yes.
Did someone take any dryers for boots?
Or just use leather rambling shoes with rubber soles ?
2. What if ... I fall ill during my way?
You won't.
3. What if ... it's too empty on Camino?
Ha-Ha-Ha !!! Extraordinarily unlikely, but if so -- enjoy, because THAT is rare !!

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
We walked the coastal route from A Garda at the end of Nov. beginning of Dec. a few years ago- we were wet (well very very wet) but not cold. Our clothes dried overnight-shoes not so much but were never a problem for our feet. Buen camino!

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.

I wouldn't worry too much about the weather. I walked the Coastal route at the end of April. There were days I thought there'd be rain but there was only one day I encountered rain. I walked in rain for 2-3 hours. It was the day of the boat ride, crossing into Spain. There were a lot of cloudy days that were appreciated to keep away the heat.

I never thought of stuffing newspapers into my wet shoes and never a suggestion prior to today but I'll keep that in mind for next week when I start the Ruta Do Mar.

You seem very concerned about the weather and possibly getting sick. So bring some type of rain protectiion system that will keep you dry! There are many Discussions here regarding appropriate rain gear. Use the search button to peruse the suggestions. You are from Spain? So your health insurance should make it easy for you to receive early medical intervention. Go in peace!

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Didn't see any assumption that all interactions would be with other visitors to Spain - not sure why you needed to respond like this. In fact she is starting in Portugal not Spain. Since I joined this forum recently I've been disheartened by the number of snarky responses I've seen from more experenced pilgrims and even some veteran members. Is this the spirit of the camino or this forum that the veteran / experienced pilgrims treat us newbies like we're stupid for asking reasonable questions or openly expressing concerns?
I am sorry that you thought my reply was snarky. My intent was to simply demonstrate that walking a Camino might seem like a really big deal and outside of many people's experience but in reality it is no more unusual than walking every day for a couple of weeks.

Of course a Camino has a few other charms besides walking.

I can still remember my own first Camino and so I know and understand that it is quite normal to be worried about all sorts of stuff before you start.

Thank you for the reminder that initially @MilaChernii will be walking in Portugal. I have gone back and edited my response to include Portugal and Spain.

Thanks also for the reminder that people don't necessarily interpret things in the same way. Lots of things in each of us are reflected by how we choose certain words and phrases and what those words and phrases end up meaning for each of us.

I suspect that there is also a cross cultural aspect to understanding communications.

In my case, I prefer to be direct and usually I prefer simple language. It is good for me to remember that just because this is my preference doesn't necessarily mean that it is also other people's preference.

In any case, I wish you and @MilaChernii the very best for your respective Caminos.

I will be starting from Porto a few days earlier on Senda Litoral, switching to Central from Vila do Conde. I hate being cold and dump. I don't suffer in heat but my biggest challenge will be, not the walk itself, but to survive in the cold. I have been checking the weather forecast:
It looks hot and sunny, maybe too hot for some people- not my problem.
As I hate being wet, I have a reliable pair of boots, waterproof jacket and trousers and a rain cover for my rucksack. I also take metal water bottle to put hot water and use as a hotwater bottle overnight, and drink it the next day. Whatever happens, I can't Uturn as I booked all accoms and luggage transfer. The only way is to go forward.
If you walk fast, you might catch me up.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
You overthink!

Most Germans walk in Spring or Fall with it's ever changing weather.
Just prepare a bit and you'll be good. And walk, don't think to much before the start!

It's Europe, not the Jungle of south east Asia! You can buy needed stuff in the nearest bigger town.
I did see a lot of laundromats on my way in July, you can dry your clothes there. Most of the Albergues I stayed did have a washing machine and dryer or they could point out where you'll find one.

Walk, have fun, socialize, drink local wine and eat local food, talk. You'll have an amazing journey!

I did this section in early October 2021. I've just checked the pics and it was sun, sun, sun and sun all the way. The only issue I had was the late starts as sunrise is quite late.

If you get bad weather, you'll just be unlucky.
When I did that camino it was also sun, sun and more sun. The late starts is not really my thing. I'm one of the guys that gets going 5.30-6.00 walking with a powerful flashlight. Don't do it if you're easily scared by weird sounds and have a tendency to be all in your own mind. At night finding the camino signs is really important.

Did any of you, guys, had totally "just by my own" Camino
Camino Madrid, the way in front of me (North)
IMG_20230701_112822589.jpg
Then, turning around I have a photo of the way behind me that I have just walked (South)
IMG_20230701_110956113.jpg
Looking to the West. I didn't walk that way.
IMG_20230701_112813071_HDR.jpg
There is a charm unlike most others to walking "just on my own" ❤️

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
The photos @DoughnutANZ shares above certainly bring back memories. But one somewhat expects the Camino de Madrid to be a solitary experience. I was surprised that walking within the last 100 km to Santiago on the Frances/Primitivo after Melide could also be a solitary experience if you just stopped off-stage.
1000038856.jpg

I met an old pilgrim years ago in Lisbon who told me you must manage your Camino. He went on to say he walks when it’s raining and relaxes and sips wine on fair days.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Camino Madrid, the way in front of me (North)
View attachment 156765
Then, turning around I have a photo of the way behind me that I have just walked (South)
View attachment 156766
Looking to the West. I didn't walk that way.
View attachment 156767
There is a charm unlike most others to walking "just on my own" ❤️
That brings back memories from via de la plata in 2015. At one point I didn't see another pilgrim/hiker for 3 days. I remember being all excited if I could see a faint shadow of someone in the distance - and then I began speeding up. Several days were spent alone in "albergues" - not even a host. They just told me to clean up after myself & shut the door when I left in the morning.

I am sorry that you thought my reply was snarky. My intent was to simply demonstrate that walking a Camino might seem like a really big deal and outside of many people's experience but in reality it is no more unusual than walking every day for a couple of weeks.

Of course a Camino has a few other charms besides walking.

I can still remember my own first Camino and so I know and understand that it is quite normal to be worried about all sorts of stuff before you start.

Thank you for the reminder that initially @MilaChernii will be walking in Portugal. I have gone back and edited my response to include Portugal and Spain.

Thanks also for the reminder that people don't necessarily interpret things in the same way. Lots of things in each of us are reflected by how we choose certain words and phrases and what those words and phrases end up meaning for each of us.

I suspect that there is also a cross cultural aspect to understanding communications.

In my case, I prefer to be direct and usually I prefer simple language. It is good for me to remember that just because this is my preference doesn't necessarily mean that it is also other people's preference.

In any case, I wish you and @MilaChernii the very best for your respective Caminos.
Excellent reply Donut!

Most read last week in this forum

Everyone talks about the wonderful café con leche, but what if tea is more to your liking? Can you even get tea along the Camino (Frances)? I don’t drink coffee but my morning cup of tea is...
Hey all. I haven't been on the forum for quite sometime (years probably). I walked the Camino Frances in 2016 and to say it was life changing for me is an understatement. On day 3, at the café at...
When you stop at a bar for a beer, wine, coffee or bite to eat, and sit at a table, is it expected that you will return your dirty dishes up to the bar before you leave? I alway do, as it seems...
I am just back from a few weeks on the Via the la Plata. Since 2015 I have been nearly every year in Spain walking caminoroutes I loved the café con leches. This year I did not like them as much...
Let me preface this by saying please understand I am not picking on anybody, I fully understand that mistakes happen and how. Been there, done that. I have been astonished to see so many lost...
Hi! I just want to know if anyone had any success (or trouble conversely on that matter) using your Visa Debit Card with 6-digit PIN when withdrawing Euros in ATMs in France and Spain? Just want...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.