• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Pilgrim's meal on CP ?

BROWNCOUNTYBOB

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Frances: 2015, 2017, 2019, 2021
During our four Camino Frances, my wife and I really enjoyed the pilgrims meals. We had these for dinner on most nights. Mostly good food, lots of meal for the money, wine came with dinner and offered enough selections for us.

Sunday I take an overnight flight from the US to Porto, arriving Monday. I am confident I will have delicious dinner options during my two nights in Porto. If available, I'd love to eat pilgrim meal for dinner during my hiking CP along the coast, then from Ponte de Lima to Tui. Can anyone comment if something comparable to pilgrim's meals or menu del dia will be available in Portugal. Also, I love cafe con leche and tortilla espanola each morning (we named our beagle Cafe con Leche and call her "Leche"). What is the Portuguese equivalent of Cafe con Leche and is there an equivalent of tortilla espanola in Portugal?

Bob

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
During our four Camino Frances, my wife and I really enjoyed the pilgrims meals. We had these for dinner on most nights. Mostly good food, lots of meal for the money, wine came with dinner and offered enough selections for us.

Sunday I take an overnight flight from the US to Porto, arriving Monday. I am confident I will have delicious dinner options during my two nights in Porto. If available, I'd love to eat pilgrim meal for dinner during my hiking CP along the coast, then from Ponte de Lima to Tui. Can anyone comment if something comparable to pilgrim's meals or menu del dia will be available in Portugal. Also, I love cafe con leche and tortilla espanola each morning (we named our beagle Cafe con Leche and call her "Leche"). What is the Portuguese equivalent of Cafe con Leche and is there an equivalent of tortilla espanola in Portugal?

Bob
Portuguese equivalent to Cafe con Leche is Meia de Leite. There's also a drink called a Gilao that comes in a larger cup and is half coffee/half milk (so a bit more milk than a Meia de Leite). You might want to try both and see which you prefer. There is no Portuguese equivalent to a tortilla espanola that I know of. The Portuguese term for meal of the day would be "Prato do Dia."

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
You can get these in any café. Very similar to a latté. Usually served in a heat-proof glass, often with a napkin wrapped around it so you can hold it! Yum!

P.S. The Portuguese generally seem to consider it a bit weird to drink a galão any other time than first thing in the morning, for breakfast. Um café (tiny and ultra strong) or a slightly diluted abatanado are the order of the day, usually.

Last edited:
Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
When I walked the CP central there were no pilgrims menu but I did see menu del dis in a few places.
Any small-town (or larger) restaurant will typically have menu do dia Monday to Friday. Weekends are generally a la carte. Most weekday special menus will cost less than 10 euros and will include bread/olives/main course/beverage (beer/glass of wine/bottled water/soda) /plus coffee; often dessert as well; sometimes soup.

Cafés will not typically service full meals (unless maybe the village is small enough that it only has a café--then it might). You can usually get tostas--grilled sandwiches--de queijo (cheese), de fiambre (ham), or mixta (both) made at cafés and sometimes bakeries. Occasionally also presunto, which is better ham, more like proscuitto. Good sandwiches, and often huge--big enough for two. In cafés, you'd probably also get bifanas (extremely tasty simmered pork steak sandwiches on buns). Typically no deep-fryer so no chips/fries in cafés. Both tostas and bifanas in cafés are really cheap--I'd guess 3 euros max.

Last edited:
Just came back from walking Porto to Redondela. Stayed at 5 albergues (4 private and 1 municipal) - none had evening meals. But plenty of options in the locales. Highly recommend Seal Soul in Esposende.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
On the first evening in Vila do Conde there were 2 Restaurant offering Pilgrim's Menues.
First was Saura Cool, 100m left to the Albergue Santa Clara, the other was O'Conde, 100m right to the Albergue.

The next Pilgrim's Menue after that I had in Tui.

Obrigada @FriendfromBarquinha - I like the sound of bifanas!
If you're not a "pork person," or you simply prefer beef to pork, you'll probably have to spend a bit more money. Pork is definitely the default cheap meat in Portugal.

But--there's another very good sandwich, called a "prego" (spike or nail) that features steak.

Generally a bit more expensive, but not much, and not all cafes seem to make these (the bifanas are almost universal), but these are pretty good as well!

Bom camino e bom proveito!

Most read last week in this forum

Starting a journey for me starts with the planning. This year everything aligned so here I am about to leave Canada to begin my 2nd Camino - the Portuguese Coastal. With three weeks to get my...
Day 0? I’m here 😊and I start my slow coastal camino tomorrow! Feel blessed and recognize the privilege it is to be able to take this journey. Tomorrow a short walk to Matosinhos - just right...
I'm planning to cross over from the Coastal to Central Camino at Caminha. I would appreciate any comments relating to this route from pilgrims that have done it. Is it better to split into two...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back