• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Pilgrim's passport in Paris and Route via Chartres

rglongpre

Time of past OR future Camino
Le Puy - Figeac (2012); Camino Frances (August 28, 2015)
Hi all - I finally booked my flight ticket to Paris (arrive August 30th) and I am wondering where do I get my pilgrim passport in Paris as well as determining where the starting point is in Paris (which church). I am hoping to walk through to Santiago de Compostela before November 15th when I fly back to Canada from Paris. Any information will be helpful.

Robert

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Hi Robert.

Your national Confraternity of St James or the 'Free credencial' link at the bottom of this page will supply you with a pilgrim passport before you leave home. That will save time and hassle if you arrive tired in France and just want to sleep! You're doing a long pilgrimage so you may need two pilgrim passports to contain all the stamps, but just explain your plans on the email request. They may prefer just to issue one and ask you to pick up another somewhere along the way. That won't be a problem once in Spain, but I don't know about France - just ask at an albergue when it starts getting too full.

I think the 'free' credencial is more like a 'donativo', so if you're able to offer a donation to cover the costs of postage etc you can donate via the website you are linked to.

Buen Camino!

Hi Tyrrek,

Thanks for the info. I know that there are a lot of people who do the longer walks from France (Tours, Paris, Chartres, Orleans, Le Puy, etc.) so there must be places that issue the credential in those major centres. I will be staying overnight (arriving in the morning) in Paris before beginning the walk.

That said, I will give the national group a call and see what they say about two passports for all the stamps.

cheers, Robert

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Robert,

What a wonderful Camino you have planned for this coming autumn!

Be sure to check out the Forum section ‹ Routes in France ‹ The Tours route which covers walking from Paris to SJPdP. Scanning these posts you will find much useful information including a handy list of all Parisian locations relevant to the medieval Camino.

Also posted there is news of the brand new 2012 guide to this French route La Via Turonensis from Paris to Spain - on Kindle. Written by fellow Forum member Sillydoll this is a MUST for anyone seeking an up to date English guide for following this historic route.

I wish you Bon Chemin and Buen Camino,

Margaret

Robert, not so many people start in Paris so I don't think it is so easy to find a credential there. I was keen to find one in Paris myself earlier this year, as I was starting from Cluny and I suspected it might be a bit tricky finding one there. (There isn't a local association of St James here in New Zealand). A French Camino friend took me along to the office of a Paris pilgrim association, compostelle2000, and she 'negotiated' in French on my behalf. Usually this association only gives its credential to members who live in the local area. However, because of the particular circumstances in my case- no association at home, and I had come from so far away- they made an exception and I was given one for a donation.

As for the 'starting point'- it's probably a matter of choice. A lot of information about the exact routes through Paris has been lost over time. You can, however, see part of the route from Notre Dame quite clearly even on a modern map, where nearby streets have 'St Jacques' in their name, and you climb rue St Jacques that goes past the Sorbonne up to the church of Haut Pas where there is an old statue of St James. Alternatively, it is thought that medieval pilgrims gathered at the Basilique St Denis before walking down streets like rue St Martin, past the Tour St Jacques to Notre Dame.

Margaret (another one!)

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Robert,

Out of curiosity from looking at your handle, are you a Fransaskois by any chance?

Cheers,
Jean-Marc

Canuck said:
Robert,

Out of curiosity from looking at your handle, are you a Fransaskois by any chance?

Cheers,
Jean-Marc
Not Fransaskois by birth but have been adopted by the community. I was born in Ottawa many, many years ago.

à plus tard mon ami,
Robert Longpré

PS The national group is sending me two credentials for the long, long walk. :)

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Robert,
I wish you the best on your long, long walk.

Bon courage et salue les cousins au passage.

I'll be on a camino in Italy for 7 weeks starting at the end of August from Venice.

Ciao!
Jean-Marc

Canuck said:
Robert,
I wish you the best on your long, long walk.

Bon courage et salue les cousins au passage.

I'll be on a camino in Italy for 7 weeks starting at the end of August from Venice.

Ciao!
Jean-Marc
Seven weeks in Italy sounds like quite a hike, almost all hilly and mountainous. Are you taking any technology - cell phone, etc. - along your journey? Do you have a blog site where your journeys are described?

Buono Traccia / bon chemin / Buen Camino
Robert

Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
Cheque and form are in the mail this afternoon. Thanks Jean-Marc :)

Buen Camino
I got my passport through this web site so I would have it when I got to Paris. Once in Paris we went to Notre Dame. Go through main entrance and the front desk which is right there. They will stamp it for you. Buen camino

Guides that will let you complete the journey your way.

Most read last week in this forum

Zubiri was full early yesterday (by 2:30, according to some pilgrims who came to Pamplona today), but Zubiri opened up a municipal building just past the town for some pilgrims to sleep on the...
Just an FYI that all available beds are taken in SJPDP tonight - fully, truly COMPLETO! There’s an indication of how busy this year may be since it’s just a Wednesday in late April, not usually...
My friend is trying to figure out bookings/lodging. She started in SJPDP Friday, ended up walking the Winter route to Roncesvalles in one day, only to find no bed so bused back to SJPDP to sleep...
Hello everyone, This is a cry for help. I post this on behalf of my wife, who is walking the camino at the moment. Her backpack was taken away from the reception of the albergue Benedictina's...
Within the past few hours there have been two stories on local news media reporting that the Guardia Civil have been successful in returning lost passports to pilgrims. One in Najera, the other in...
Hi all, Very new to this so please excuse any ignorance or silly questions :) I'm walking my very first Camino in 2 weeks (iieeeek) - the countdown is on and excitement through the roof. I've...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back