• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Plan to walk the El Camino beginning mid-Apr 2015.

joe g texas aggies

Time of past OR future Camino
SJPdP to Santinago April/May 2015
Hi, I am from California and a newbie to this forum. I plan to walk the El Camino starting from SJPP in mid April 2015.

A few items:
  • Anyone leaving SJPP in mid-April 2015? I am looking for a partner or partners for a day or two until I feel confident on my own.
  • Is Orrison or Roncevalles a reasonable destination on the first leg of the El Camino?
  • How risky and variable is the weather in the Pyrenees that time of year?

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Welcome to the forum Joe, there will be loads of pilgrims leaving St Jean every day so you will have plenty company. Orrison is eight kilometers from St Jean, Roncevalles is about twenty five, its nearly all uphill so it depends on how fit you are. The weather in mid April can be mixed. It can be nice, wet, snow on the passes but the pilgrim office in St Jean will give you up to date advice before you leave. If weather conditions are bad on the Napoleon route you can always walk the lower Valcarlos route which is also very beautiful.
Happy planning and Buen Camino.

Welcome to the forum Joe, there will be loads of pilgrims leaving St Jean every day so you will have plenty company. Orrison is eight kilometers from St Jean, Roncevalles is about twenty five, its nearly all uphill so it depends on how fit you are. The weather in mid April can be mixed. It can be nice, wet, snow on the passes but the pilgrim office in St Jean will give you up to date advice before you leave. If weather conditions are bad on the Napoleon route you can always walk the lower Valcarlos route which is also very beautiful.
Happy planning and Buen Camino.
Thanks, Way. After posting my question, I found the discussion on the weather and Pyrenees and I see that it will be a game-day decision as to the route. I don't hike a lot, but I do put five or six days per week at the gym. I am hoping that regimen translates into an acceptable fitness level for an 800 km walk.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Thanks, Way. After posting my question, I found the discussion on the weather and Pyrenees and I see that it will be a game-day decision as to the route. I don't hike a lot, but I do put five or six days per week at the gym. I am hoping that regimen translates into an acceptable fitness level for an 800 km walk.
You will still need to do some walking to break in your boots/shoes and to get used to your pack. If you can walk four to eight miles a few times a week you will be able to walk the Camino. Hiking is different to gym work as you know, a lot more varied and uses different muscles sometimes especially the up and downhill sections. You have loads of time to prepare and get your kit. Enjoy it all.

Hi, I am from California and a newbie to this forum. I plan to walk the El Camino starting from SJPP in mid April 2015.

A few items:
  • Anyone leaving SJPP in mid-April 2015? I am looking for a partner or partners for a day or two until I feel confident on my own.
  • Is Orrison or Roncevalles a reasonable destination on the first leg of the El Camino?
  • How risky and variable is the weather in the Pyrenees that time of year?
Hi Joe,

If you are fit and young, I recommend going to Roncevalles. It is a complete day, but take your time and plan snack and plenty water. I went last November and it was cold and hard rain all day. When we arrived in Roncevalles , it was a beautiful sun... nice reward - you can see below one image about half way up, and then the beer on the Roncevalles terrase!! This is a group of people I meet the first day wjile walking. In fact the best thing is to arrive at SJPDP one day before you start to have a night to sleep and leave early in the morning. You will be able to meet people at the refuge/albergue the evening before... and leave with them. You will walk with people same fitness level as you and just join naturally a group. Three of the people I meet the first day became my best friends for 26 days!

Also, the nice thing about doing Roncevalles the first day is that you get the nice Pilgrim Mass at the Roncevalles Chapel at 18h00 (I think that's the time).... Don't miss this, it is one of the nicest experience I have experienced. It is the kickoff to your Camino. The will present you and your country. One pilgrim from each country will read a prayer in their language. Then .... I won't tell you too much, but must do.

One thing for that time of year... good walking boots!!! I was so happy to have them. My Salomon were awesome (image below). Some had running shoes, some said sandals are ok.... ha! I was never wet once, just a small blister and was rock solid going through some rocky part all along the Way. Minimal packing so you are light, but just a bit of everything (plan for a good rain parka an pants). My plan was perfect. If you want more info on what I took, or you have questions, please do not hesitate!

I am also going back in April 2015, but will be doing a part of the Portuguese Camino this time.

buen Camino mon ami!

Dan

Screen Shot 2014-09-03 at 12.07.34 PM.png
Screen Shot 2014-09-03 at 11.59.42 AM.png Screen Shot 2014-09-03 at 12.00.08 PM.png

Mid April is an excellent date for walking in Spain. After Pyrinees, you may have still some cold, windy and rainy days, with muddy paths, but May (very generally speaking) is warmer, and it may be even hot, as the season advances.
Gym is good, but you will need a lot of cardio workouts. Besides, some long walks with your backpack is very advisable; with a backpack your body's gravity center changes, so your steps are not the same than ever. I think some pilgrim's physical problems come from this simple fact, especially after trying the first day a very challenging stage, as SJPP-Roncesvalles.
Buen camino!

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-

Most read last week in this forum

Hello everyone, I’m about to embark on my first Camino this month in a week or so. I had plans to go with a friend but it fell through so now I’m visiting a friend in France until I work up the...
Apologies if this topic has been covered before. I’m interested in the earliest/recommended date someone can reserve the following services: 1) flights 2) inter-city buses 3) train (e.g...
I have a bad knee and have to be very careful about walking both up and down hills, mostly down, would the Central route be much different than the Litoral route? Where is the last place to change...
Hello all fellow pilgrims! To celebrate my 70th birthday I'll be following the Frances path from St Jean Pied de Port to Santiago de Compostela. Really excited abut the journey for me starting...
Good evening all! We began our yearly route to Santiago, today! We 4 Peregrinos resumed our Camino at Rabanal del Camino and walked to Acebo. We encountered Snow, Hail Stones and rain. We loved...
Hi Camino Family, I am travelling from Australia to start the Le Puy Camino May 27th 2024. If there is anyone else planning on walking around this time, it would be great to connect. I speak...

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back