• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Planning an expedition for novice cyclists

lucalu1983

Hi, I'm in my third year of a degree in outdoor recreation and one of our assignments is to plan an expedition - or what we view as an expedition. I have heard from a number of people about the Santiago de Compostela and i want to cycle the route as walking is not for me, i would like any suggesgions that people have about the route where they stocked up on food, showers etc how long it took them and the facilitation on getting the bikes there and back and how you achieved this - i would be really happy to hear off anyone - Thanks Luca

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I'm planing on riding most of the route as well. I would like to start in Paris since biking the route gives so much more time to stay places and experience the towns. This interests me much more than endless walking, though I'm sure that is a special experience in and of itself.

So I don't have any advice since I haven't done it yet, but I have some thoughts. I am leaning towards a mountain bike so I can ride off road and so I don't have to worry about difficult roads. I'm not in a big rush, and since there are places to stop within a days walk all along the route, if I don't want to stay somewhere I can easily bike on to the next place. Walking an additional 20km would be much more difficult.

I have traveled quite a bit, and I have done some long bike trips, and traveling light should prove virtuous on the Camino as well as anywhere. I thought for a while I might get a bike in France, but I think it will be easier to get one here, prep it up, and put it in a box for the airplane to Paris. I think there will be a fee, but it shouldn't be too exorbenent. I'm also thinking that I won't get anything very expensive so I don't have to worry too much in case I wreck it or it gets stolen.

As for gear, I plan on having pannier style saddle bags, and maybe a bag on the front as well. No bike shoes for me, I don't like them. A good pair of boots will work well to keep my foot flat to reduce fatigue, and they will serve me walking over any terrain. I will carry Tevas with me so I can occasionally air them out and get some relief.

Of course a basic repair kit is essential, as well as putting in some time practicing important repair jobs from the comfort of home. As for food, I don't plan on carrying more than a day's worth at any given time. I would prefer to get my food in town. For me, it's important to have some real adventure, and sometimes that includes going hungry. Of course I will always have snacks on hand.

I was thinking about getting a serious water filter so I can drink any water along the route. That bottle and 1 or 2 empty nalgene bottles should be plenty. You don't want to get weighed down carrying tons of water. There is a nice bottle here:
http://www.katadyn.ch/site/us/home/outd ... am_bottle/
You could probably survive a drink from the most virulent African puddle with that baby.

Hi,
From my perspective as a walker in Oct from Cebreiro, there are two very different bicycle experiences of the camino. It all depends whether your are talking about riding the camino or the roads adjacent to the camino. The cyclists who rode the roads on touring bikes had a much different trip than those who rode the camino on mountain bikes. I can't think that the mountain bikers had any easier time of it than the walkers.
One important item for mountain bikers is a bell to announce their presence to walkers. Occasionally, we were startled by bikers who were upon us before we knew that they were there. Usually the biker was as startled as I was because he didn't know that I wasn't aware of him. My hearing isn't great which added to the difficulty. Buen Camino, John

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
do a google search on - camino de santiago - you will get good sites that have lot of info about walking and biking.

However I find that it is a journey that lends itself to a huge amount of planning - if that is what you need for your course.

Hi,
I've walked and biked El Camino and both have their plus's (no negatives that spring to mind!).
My bike trip took me about 11 days. It was all off road so there were parts that were more hike-a-bike than biking.
I didn't plan any of it. I just headed out and stayed wherever I found myself when it was time to stop. There are enough albergues' that I didn't have any problems finding a space. If one was full I found the next one was always within a spirited ride away before the darkness came.
I actually ended up buying a $350 bike over there so can't speak on getting the bike there.

Sorry, phone rang and I submitted before I was finished!
I drank from the town fountains as well as bought bottled water, it's much MUCH cheaper in Spain than here in the states. I did not have any problems with the town fountains which were the main source for me.
On a bike you're never that far away from a town that you will need to worry about food. Not once did I leave a town in the morning and not pass through several before retiring for the night.
As for tools, a good pump and flat repair kit is about it. Even though I took enough tools for most anything the only problems were flats. I would also recommend one of those foldable tires if you have room. I hit the side of a rock in the Pyrenee's and it put a big hole in the tire. I put a big slab of rubber between the tire and tube until I got to a town with a bike shop (I passed through several that didn't have any).
Even so, taking enough for a spoke change or cable is not a bad idea. Though if you have the bike serviced and replace the cables before leaving you should be fine.
Hope this helps!

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
lucalu1983 said:
I would like any suggestions that people have about the route where they stocked up on food, showers etc how long it took them and the facilitation on getting the bikes there and back and how you achieved this.

The non planned method that oneleft proposes is the one that I would favour as well but I can see this would not get you far with your assignment.

The stocking with food is no problem on a bike as distances between towns or villages make this unnecessary. Water can be a different matter if you carry a camelback and two water bottles you will probably not need to stop at every fountain (we used them without problem) but in mid summer it is wise to keep topped up. Walkers in the middle of nowhere may appreciate a top up from one of your bottles if you have plenty.

Showers? do you mean rain or in the refugios. Rain is a pain wherever you are cycling and no different on the camino. The refugios are like any youth hostel except most dormitories take both men and women.

It takes between 10 days and 14 days but I would aim for the 14 days as you will have more time to see what there is to see along the way. I think we took 12 days.

Getting bikes there and back depends where you are starting from I cannot see on your profile where you are from but within Europe it is not too much of a problem as most airlines will take bikes for a price. We have always used Iberia and BA as they did not charge extra for bikes but this may have changed.

For more information you could also look at the files and links on
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Santiago_Bicicleta/

Be aware that refuges may not book you in until 7pm or so to allow walkers time to get there - if no room then you would have to cycle on ..
anyone more info?

Most read last week in this forum

I am 29 doing the Frances by myself starting in SJPdP next week. I didn’t realize this was a busiest time to do the Frances so I am really nervous about the bed race. I don’t mind socializing or...
Hi, can I get second hand poles from Casa Ivar? Happy to make donation. Walking from Santiago to Muxia, then the Primitivo. Will return them when done.....thanks
New user here. Hello to you all. New to the forum but not to the Camino. I was told about this Forum whilst I walking the lovely scenic 'Camino Norte'. I'm planning walking another in June.
Hi, A couple years ago I flew into Geneva and took a train to Laussane to begin my Francigena. Next year I would like to fly into Geneva and walk the south side - France into Aigle, Switzerland...
Hi forum friends, I've been reading lots of posts on here to prepare for my first Camino: May 11th to 16th, central Portuguese way starting from the portuguese border to Tui Spain As a solo female...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.