• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Planning Camino for first time

Queban

Time of past OR future Camino
I plan to walk the Camino in May of 2016
I'm new to the site and am a bit overwhelmed as far as the Camino goes. I am planning to walk the Camino in May of 2016 and am not able to walk the whole way, but also do not want to walk just from Sarria to Santiago. Would like to experience a bit more time on the Camino. I have a total of 10 days for the walk. Where is it recommend to then start the Camino and still make it in time to Santiago?

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
I'm new to the site and am a bit overwhelmed as far as the Camino goes. I am planning to walk the Camino in May of 2016 and am not able to walk the whole way, but also do not want to walk just from Sarria to Santiago. Would like to experience a bit more time on the Camino. I have a total of 10 days for the walk. Where is it recommend to then start the Camino and still make it in time to Santiago?

HI Queban , I don't have an answer to your question however , in the next day or two you will get all the info you need plus more .. get ready . In the meantime you might drop by the May/June 2016 list and meet some folks that will be heading out about the same time as you . Welcome to the forum and let me be the first to wish you a Buen Camino! :)
https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/may-june-2016-peregrinos-camino-frances.36410/
Joe

Hi, Ponferrada would be a nice place to begin your journey. It's about 200km from there to Santiago.
Wish you well and a Buen Camino, Peter.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Hi Queban,

I walked from Ponferrada to Santiago in 9 days this year. I am of average fitness. If you want a slower pace, you could start in Villafranca del Bierzo (a short bus ride from Ponferrada). If you're super-fit you could start a stage or two earlier, but your transport arrangements might be more complicated.

Alternatively, you could start in Sarria and continue on to Finsterre or Muxia.

It's a nice dilemma - all the potential options are good!

Happy planning and Buen Camino!

Nuala

Consider the short Portuguese, Porto to Santiago. Beautiful walk fewer pilgrims. Buen Camino

Happy Trails

Hi, I am starting approx the same period, and for the same duration...

I am planning for the Ponferrada - Santiago route, but you may consider Sarria - Fisteria as suggested.

Buen Camino

A selection of Camino Jewellery
I would recommend starting in StJeanPDP and then busing to the airport from wherever you end up. First of all it's nice to start at the beginning with other beginners (my first night in orisson really set the mood for my walk!), secondly- it's a REALLY beautiful stretch and finally, then you can come back and pick up from where you left off!
My main advice would be to make sure you are walking for the journey and not the destination.
I had no trouble finding a bus off the Camino with 'alsa' lines and even bussed directly from Burgos to the Madrid airport! I made a reservation online a day or two ahead when I had an idea of where I would be.
Good luck with your decision!

Queban

Roshni advice " make sure you are walking for the journey and not the destination" cannot emphasize this enough

Option 1 if you want to come back in the future

Pamplona to Burgos..is a good taster.

Getting home
Burgos to Madrid Airport 2 hrs 30 minutes by Alsa Bus
Then come back and continue from Burgos another time as many do.

Getting there
(Madrid airport very easy to reach Burgos from there )

Option 2 not coming back or not sure.

Getting there

Fly into Santiago de compostela
airport bus to main bus station in Santiago.(once at bus station buy ticket upstairs from the kiosk displaying ALSA for travel to Vllafranca del Bierzo)

Take Alsa bus from bus station downstairs to Villafranca del Bierzo. takes between 3hrs.35/3hrs.40. and 3hrs .55 depending which time of day you take the bus. this will give you a good start before Sarria and allows a half day first day start, so your out of kilter with the crowds and then your ready for the walk to O'cebreiro. arriving in Santiago on day 9 with a spare day to explore Santiago..

Getting home
Flying back Out from Santiago.

Queban

Roshni advice " make sure you are walking for the journey and not the destination" cannot emphasize this enough

Option 1 if you want to come back in the future

Pamplona to Burgos..is a good taster.

Getting home
Burgos to Madrid Airport 2 hrs 30 minutes by Alsa Bus
Then come back and continue from Burgos another time as many do.

Getting there
(Madrid airport very easy to reach Burgos from there )

Option 2 not coming back or not sure.

Getting there

Fly into Santiago de compostela
airport bus to main bus station in Santiago.(once at bus station buy ticket upstairs from the kiosk displaying ALSA for travel to Vllafranca del Bierzo)

Take Alsa bus from bus station downstairs to Villafranca del Bierzo. takes between 3hrs.35/3hrs.40. and 3hrs .55 depending which time of day you take the bus. this will give you a good start before Sarria and allows a half day first day start, so your out of kilter with the crowds and then your ready for the walk to O'cebreiro. arriving in Santiago on day 9 with a spare day to explore Santiago..

Getting home
Flying back Out from Santiago.
Thank you for your suggestions, really appreciate it!!

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I would recommend starting in StJeanPDP and then busing to the airport from wherever you end up. First of all it's nice to start at the beginning with other beginners (my first night in orisson really set the mood for my walk!), secondly- it's a REALLY beautiful stretch and finally, then you can come back and pick up from where you left off!
My main advice would be to make sure you are walking for the journey and not the destination.
I had no trouble finding a bus off the Camino with 'alsa' lines and even bussed directly from Burgos to the Madrid airport! I made a reservation online a day or two ahead when I had an idea of where I would be.
Good luck with your decision!

Would love to do the whole trail but my time is limited and definitely want to experience as much as I can with the time frame I'm dealing with that's why I would like to start before the 100km. I'm excited about the journey and can't wait to start it. Thank you so much for your help.

The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
Hi, I am starting approx the same period, and for the same duration...

I am planning for the Ponferrada - Santiago route, but you may consider Sarria - Fisteria as suggested.

Buen Camino

I have actually been looking into the Ponferrada Santiago route because I want to experience as much as I can with the limited time I have. Do you have a set date yet?

Hi Queban,

I walked from Ponferrada to Santiago in 9 days this year. I am of average fitness. If you want a slower pace, you could start in Villafranca del Bierzo (a short bus ride from Ponferrada). If you're super-fit you could start a stage or two earlier, but your transport arrangements might be more complicated.

Alternatively, you could start in Sarria and continue on to Finsterre or Muxia.

It's a nice dilemma - all the potential options are good!

Happy planning and Buen Camino!

Nuala
Thank you for your reply. I have started looking into Ponferrada and think that would be the best way with the limited time I have. Your right it is a nice dilemma

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Hi, Ponferrada would be a nice place to begin your journey. It's about 200km from there to Santiago.
Wish you well and a Buen Camino, Peter.

I've been looking into Ponferrada and think it would be ideal to start there due to my limited days. Thank you for the suggestion !!

HI Queban , I don't have an answer to your question however , in the next day or two you will get all the info you need plus more .. get ready . In the meantime you might drop by the May/June 2016 list and meet some folks that will be heading out about the same time as you . Welcome to the forum and let me be the first to wish you a Buen Camino! :)
https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/may-june-2016-peregrinos-camino-frances.36410/
Joe
Thank you for the warm welcome. I will be looking into the May / June list. Would love to get to know people that are going during the same time frame and possibly get to meet them. Thank you again!!

I have actually been looking into the Ponferrada Santiago route because I want to experience as much as I can with the limited time I have. Do you have a set date yet?

I have not booked flights yet ... but probably end of May/Start of June .... it seems like the chances of rain in May in Galicia are still high .... then if you go on later, it seems like there are too many people ... so you try to strike a balance between the two.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Hi. I hope to start in May too

Hi Queban, I walked in 2012 and started in SJ and ended in Santiago. I'll be walking again next May with my wife and starting, again, in SJ. I can't say there was a 'favorite' part of the CDS-Francis-and none I would want to miss. For me, the CDS is a journey, and there is no actual starting or ending point. It was kinda cool though to start in SJ with the many other first time peregrinos-the nerves, the conversations, the confusion, the discovery, the finding of commonality, is something I wouldn't want to miss. On this Camino, I'm taking a different approach. I'm going to force myself to walk half as far/fast. I'm going to stay up a little later, sleep in a little later, and stop and explore a little more. As you already may feel, your Camino has already started. Buen Camino!

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Hi Queban, I walked in 2012 and started in SJ and ended in Santiago. I'll be walking again next May with my wife and starting, again, in SJ. I can't say there was a 'favorite' part of the CDS-Francis-and none I would want to miss. For me, the CDS is a journey, and there is no actual starting or ending point. It was kinda cool though to start in SJ with the many other first time peregrinos-the nerves, the conversations, the confusion, the discovery, the finding of commonality, is something I wouldn't want to miss. On this Camino, I'm taking a different approach. I'm going to force myself to walk half as far/fast. I'm going to stay up a little later, sleep in a little later, and stop and explore a little more. As you already may feel, your Camino has already started. Buen Camino!
Thank you so much!! Yes my Camino has started and I'm so excited!!!

Most read last week in this forum

Between Villafranca Montes de Oca and San Juan de Ortega there was a great resting place with benches, totem poles andvarious wooden art. A place of good vibes. It is now completely demolished...
Just an FYI that all available beds are taken in SJPDP tonight - fully, truly COMPLETO! There’s an indication of how busy this year may be since it’s just a Wednesday in late April, not usually...
Left Saint Jean this morning at 7am. Got to Roncesvalles just before 1:30. Weather was clear and beautiful! I didn't pre book, and was able to get a bed. I did hear they were all full by 4pm...
Hi there - we are two 'older' women from Australia who will be walking the Camino in September and October 2025 - we are tempted by the companies that pre book accomodation and bag transfers but...
We have been travelling from Australia via Dubai and have been caught in the kaos in Dubai airport for over 3 days. Sleeping on the floor of the airport and finally Emerites put us up in...
Hi all, Very new to this so please excuse any ignorance or silly questions :) I'm walking my very first Camino in 2 weeks (iieeeek) - the countdown is on and excitement through the roof. I've...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back