• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

planning my walk

ladylucy

Time of past OR future Camino
september 1 2013
hi, im planning to walk the camino in September, I have 20 days, I will be tavelling alone. im a little overwhelmed with all the information, can anyone offer any tips/advice on how to get started with my planning, regards, susan :)

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Susan, the first lesson of the Camino is often "have faith". Or in secular Australian terms; "it'll be right on the night" and "no worries". Enjoy the preparations but they don't determine your Camino experience. No-one, but no-one, has the perfect gear and the perfect preparation. We all stuff up; I've walked the camino (various routes) many times and I still find myself carrying stuff I don't need and buying stuff I do. My training is woefully inadequate. The weather is unpredictable, the trails are unpredictable, my body is unpredictable, fellow pilgrims are unpredictable. None of it matters. The Camino itself will bring you the answers. All you have to do is step out and walk. Just walk. It is that simple. Walk.
Once you start walking you will be amazed at how simple life can be, how few decisions you must make, how easy to live in the present moment, how liberating to be without possessions, how ingeniously you find solutions, how kind your fellow man. And if St James determines your well-laid plans are to be disrupted by force majore, even that will provide beneficial lessons in grace, acceptance, who knows what else?
So Buen Camino. Walk in peace, be kind and tolerant, enjoy life in all its richness.

PS. Here's the practical advice:
First, buy your ticket. That shows commitment. Then decide on your walking sandals/shoes/boots (much advice on this forum on all things related to gear).
Then a backpack. Then what you are going to wear and put in the backpack. Then whether you will use trekking sticks - most of us do.
Go for a couple of walks with your pack and wearing your shoes. Refine according to how it all feels.
That's it.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
ladylucy,

Welcome to the Forum!

One BIG choice for you is to decide which camino route you wish to follow. The most popular route is the Camino Frances. With a time frame of 20 days you might choose to start walking this at Saint Jean Pied de Port, France, and see how far you got.

From Cork to get to SJPdP you could train to Dublin and then fly to Biarritz, France, on Ryanair. For times and prices see >> http://www.ryanair.com/en From Biarritz an airport bus goes to the nearby Bayonne, France, railroad station where you pick up a local TER line 62 train to SJPdP.

Anyone can walk the camino but in order to stay in pilgrim albergues you need a Pilgrim Credential. if you do begin in Saint-Jean the pilgrim office of the Amis du Chemin de Saint Jacques at 39 rue de la Citadelle can provide you with both the Credential and on site lodging assistance; they keep up to the minute lists of available space throughout the SJPdP area. The pilgrim office is also a GREAT place to meet other pilgrims.

Happy planning and Buen Camino,

Margaret Meredith

Kanga said:
PS. Here's the practical advice:
First, buy your ticket. That shows commitment. Then decide on your walking sandals/shoes/boots (much advice on this forum on all things related to gear).
Then a backpack. Then what you are going to wear and put in the backpack. Then whether you will use trekking sticks - most of us do.
Go for a couple of walks with your pack and wearing your shoes. Refine according to how it all feels.
That's it.

I feel this is good advice to start planning....exactly what I have done, flights, 1st nite hostel arranged, boots and backpack....just the smaller items now! Once I booked my flights my journey seemed to begin and I'm really looking forward to September. :)

Kanga said:
Susan, the first lesson of the Camino is often "have faith". Or in secular Australian terms; "it'll be right on the night" and "no worries". Enjoy the preparations but they don't determine your Camino experience. No-one, but no-one, has the perfect gear and the perfect preparation. We all stuff up; I've walked the camino (various routes) many times and I still find myself carrying stuff I don't need and buying stuff I do. My training is woefully inadequate. The weather is unpredictable, the trails are unpredictable, my body is unpredictable, fellow pilgrims are unpredictable. None of it matters. The Camino itself will bring you the answers. All you have to do is step out and walk. Just walk. It is that simple. Walk.
Once you start walking you will be amazed at how simple life can be, how few decisions you must make, how easy to live in the present moment, how liberating to be without possessions, how ingeniously you find solutions, how kind your fellow man. And if St James determines your well-laid plans are to be disrupted by force majore, even that will provide beneficial lessons in grace, acceptance, who knows what else?

Thank you so much for your reply and advice, I have bought my ticket, and ive decided I will start in st jeans and take it from there, I will walk and just go with the flow for the time that I can and then head back to cork. and just return when timing etc is good again and continue on. I don't want to be rushing to the finish line... though getting to Santiago is probably a great experience. I am getting very excited now :)

So Buen Camino. Walk in peace, be kind and tolerant, enjoy life in all its richness.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
mspath said:
ladylucy,

Welcome to the Forum!

One BIG choice for you is to decide which camino route you wish to follow. The most popular route is the Camino Frances. With a time frame of 20 days you might choose to start walking this at Saint Jean Pied de Port, France, and see how far you got.

From Cork to get to SJPdP you could train to Dublin and then fly to Biarritz, France, on Ryanair. For times and prices see >> http://www.ryanair.com/en From Biarritz an airport bus goes to the nearby Bayonne, France, railroad station where you pick up a local TER line 62 train to SJPdP.

Anyone can walk the camino but in order to stay in pilgrim albergues you need a Pilgrim Credential. if you do begin in Saint-Jean the pilgrim office of the Amis du Chemin de Saint Jacques at 39 rue de la Citadelle can provide you with both the Credential and on site lodging assistance; they keep up to the minute lists of available space throughout the SJPdP area. The pilgrim office is also a GREAT place to meet other pilgrims.

Happy planning and Buen Camino,

Margaret Meredith
Thank you Margaret, I have finally decided on the French way! and im happy and comfy with flights trains buses etc to get me to st jeans pdp, after that well i'll just walk , i do only have 20 days , so ive decided to walk as far as my journey takes me and then head back to cork and continue next time round........Thgank you soo much for your reply and useful advice

Hi Susan,
Glad to hear you're putting plans in place for your Camino. What date in September have you chose to travel? :) I'm leaving Dublin 18 Sept.
Buen Camino
Aidan :)

AML said:
Hi Susan,
Glad to hear you're putting plans in place for your Camino. What date in September have you chose to travel? :) I'm leaving Dublin 18 Sept.
Buen Camino
AML said:
Hi Susan,
Buen Camino
im going on September 2nd Aidan...im really getting excited now :)

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Hope you have a wonderful first Camino....I'm sure it will be an amazing experience.
Best of luck, Aidan :)

Hi Susan,
You have received good advice here. I add my twopence worth.

It is a good idea to stay at Orrisson. It breaks that long day over the Pyrenees. Never heard anyone say that they regretted staying there.

Second bit of advice. It is very steep down the last few klms to Roncesvalles. It is well worth while taking the slightly longer route on the road.

Buen Camino.

A selection of Camino Jewellery

Most read last week in this forum

I am 29 doing the Frances by myself starting in SJPdP next week. I didn’t realize this was a busiest time to do the Frances so I am really nervous about the bed race. I don’t mind socializing or...
Hi, can I get second hand poles from Casa Ivar? Happy to make donation. Walking from Santiago to Muxia, then the Primitivo. Will return them when done.....thanks
Hi, A couple years ago I flew into Geneva and took a train to Laussane to begin my Francigena. Next year I would like to fly into Geneva and walk the south side - France into Aigle, Switzerland...
Hace dos días falleció a los 78 años Pepe Puertas "el peregrino de La Rioja" Todos los años en Julio hacía el camino francés completo para llegar a Compostela el 25 de Julio. Año tras año durante...
Hello my name is Brenda and I am establishing a daily AA meeting 6-7 pm at Casa Anglican WhatsApp 416-8018176 for daily updates Thankyou. Buen Camino
Hello. I’m Steph from USA Arriving in pamplona May 27 2024 Is anyone arriving that destination & date so we can coordinate transportation to SJPP. TIA

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back