• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Planning some camino time for October half term

Deepforest

Time of past OR future Camino
2015 Camino Frances 2016 Camino Portuguese 2017 del Norte and Primitivo 2017 Via Francegina 2018.
I walked from Leon to Santiago this summer and really loved it. Next summer I plan to complete sections I missed from St Jean to Leon. But I'm really keen to go do some more walking before then. We have ten days off last week of October.

I'm thinking of going from Burgos to Leon as I'd love to walk some of the meseta. I'm wondering if this is a bad time of year to walk this section as it's quite remote. I'm a bit concerned that a lot of the albergue a may be closed, or that the meseta will just be a big muddy pool at this time of year.

Opinions and advice welcome. Maybe there's others sections I'm not thinking about that may suit better for this time of year?
Having said that, what I've learnt from the camino is that it tends to be okay as long as flexibility is built into our mindset.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
The meseta is far from remote. Before walking it I had this impression as well. I don't know why the guides despcribe it this way, making it seem as this baren, almost dangerous area with not a living soul in sight. The only particular stretch on the meseta is the 17 km in a perfectky straight line out of Carion de los Condes, if memory serves me right. It's all beautiful big sky.

If you want to look at the list of albergues visit the Eroski site, it shows for,each albergues the dates they are open.

The meseta is far from remote. Before walking it I had this impression as well. I don't know why the guides despcribe it this way, making it seem as this baren, almost dangerous area with not a living soul in sight. The only particular stretch on the meseta is the 17 km in a perfectky straight line out of Carion de los Condes, if memory serves me right. It's all beautiful big sky.

If you want to look at the list of albergues visit the Eroski site, it shows for,each albergues the dates they are open.
Thanks for the advice, will do.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I do envy those who can zip across to the Camino. Enjoy!

Here's a photo of the most "remote" stretch, taken November 5, 2014, between Carrion de los Condes and Caldadilla de la Cueza. I was walking alone with only occasional glimpses of people ahead or behind. I stopped at the concrete picnic table here, alone, and within about 20 minutes this group assembled. It was a glorious day and I loved that stretch!

Attachments

• 20141105_105801.jpg
    20141105_105801.jpg
    3.7 MB · Views: 20

Most read last week in this forum

Just an FYI that all available beds are taken in SJPDP tonight - fully, truly COMPLETO! There’s an indication of how busy this year may be since it’s just a Wednesday in late April, not usually...
Between Villafranca Montes de Oca and San Juan de Ortega there was a great resting place with benches, totem poles andvarious wooden art. A place of good vibes. It is now completely demolished...
Hi there - we are two 'older' women from Australia who will be walking the Camino in September and October 2025 - we are tempted by the companies that pre book accomodation and bag transfers but...
We have been travelling from Australia via Dubai and have been caught in the kaos in Dubai airport for over 3 days. Sleeping on the floor of the airport and finally Emerites put us up in...
Hi all, Very new to this so please excuse any ignorance or silly questions :) I'm walking my very first Camino in 2 weeks (iieeeek) - the countdown is on and excitement through the roof. I've...
From a friend on the ground in Pamplona https://www.noticiasdenavarra.com/fotos/general/sociedad/2024/04/23/nieve-primaveral-presente-navarra-8152386.html

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back