• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Ideal route for a 15-day camino in October?

rich64

Time of past OR future Camino
15 days camino francés to be planned
Hello everyone,

I'm planning to do a 15 days camino as this is the maximum amount of time that I have to do it. My trip would be in mid/end of October. I’ve never walked el Camino before and will do it alone.

I already live nearby the Spanish border so I could leave easily from SJPDP.

Could you suggest me the most ideal route to take? I'm also open to camino del norte but perhaps at this time of the year it is not really popular (would love to meet people along the way).

Thank you for your help!

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Could you suggest me the most ideal route to take? I'm also open to camino del norte but perhaps at this time of the year it is not really popular (would love to meet people along the way).
The Camino Catalan is the right length but I'm going to steer you away from it, there are few walking it.

My first camino was from Astorga to Santiago in 11-12 days in October-November. I thought it was an excellent experience. Since you have 15 days and won't be suffering from jet lag, perhaps you could do Leon to Santiago. Or, walk Astorga-Santiago and then have time to go to Finisterre if you want - either walking, bus, or a combination.

The most important question is - do you want to arrive in Santiago and receive a Compostela?
I would love to yes, as I don't know when I will be coming back to finish it if I do it half way

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
My first camino was from Astorga to Santiago in 11-12 days in October-November. I thought it was an excellent experience. Since you have 15 days and won't be suffering from jet lag, perhaps you could do Leon to Santiago. Or, walk Astorga-Santiago and then have time to go to Finisterre if you want - either walking, bus, or a combination.
Thanks you for your reply! Are there many pilgrims on the road at this time of the year and starting in Astorga?

Thanks you for your reply! Are there many pilgrims on the road at this time of the year and starting in Astorga?
I don't know what is happening now, or will be the case later in the month. However, in 2012, there were enough pilgrims on the route to provide daily company. I'd expect there to be many more now!

Hello everyone,

I'm planning to do a 15 days camino as this is the maximum amount of time that I have to do it. My trip would be in mid/end of October. I’ve never walked el Camino before and will do it alone.

Thank you for your help!
For a 15 day duration first Camino, I would recommend the Portugues from Porto. Maybe the first day or two along the coast and then over to the Central.

Most people walking more than 100 km on the Portugues start at Porto so it feels like a complete Camino. There is lots of infrastructure and a good pilgrim community to provide support and flexibility (very useful on a first Camino when you are still discovering what works for you). And you get to experience both Portuguese and Spanish cultures.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
For a 15 day duration first Camino, I would recommend the Portugues from Porto. Maybe the first day or two along the coast and then over to the Central.

Most people walking more than 100 km on the Portugues start at Porto so it feels like a complete Camino. There is lots of infrastructure and a good pilgrim community to provide support and flexibility (very useful on a first Camino when you are still discovering what works for you). And you get to experience both Portuguese and Spanish cultures.
Thank you for your answer. I was thinking more of going through Spain, as I already live near the border, which makes it easier/cheaper to go from there. I'll keep your idea in mind though.

Thank you for your answer. I was thinking more of going through Spain, as I already live near the border, which makes it easier/cheaper to go from there. I'll keep your idea in mind though.
Aah. Mine was a more general answer to the question. I hadn't noticed where you hail from (France).

Of course, now the option to consider is walking from your front door and seeing how far 18 days gets you. Then, next time, start from there. :)

I'm on the Frances now and am very surprised by how many pilgrims there are. I might be in the start of the month 'wave' though, with fewer setting out mid-October. You could start further along the Frances and finish in Santiago or my preference (I only have 15 days to walk) was to start in St Jean and trust that I will come back in the future to complete it.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Hello everyone,

Thank you for your help!
My first Camino was the Primitivo from Oviedo last year, which can comfortably be done in 15 days. I was a bit earlier - finished 11 October but plenty of pilgrims, albeit many fewer than on the Frances which the route joins for the last 4 days or so. I wanted to do a full route (rather than partial) and had 2 weeks. Gorgeous scenery but quite hilly.

@rich64, another vote for the Primitivo here. I walked it earlier this year as my second Camino, absolutely loved it. Lots of first timers on the route, good infrastructure and exactly the right length. Judging by the reports on here still a lot of pilgrims on the route so you are extremely unlikely to be alone!. Oviedo is easy to get to, too. If you can work it into your schedule spend half a day there if possible it's a lovely City, ditto with Lugo in the middle.
Buen Camino!

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Aah. Mine was a more general answer to the question. I hadn't noticed where you hail from (France).

Of course, now the option to consider is walking from your front door and seeing how far 18 days gets you. Then, next time, start from there. :)
Don't you find it frustrating to "leave" halfway through the Camino and not see Santiago? I'm thinking about doing that instead of leaving from Leon as it will be considerably cheaper since I already live near the border and don't have a whole month to commit to the full CF. Curious to hear your thoughts about that! Thank you

Don't you find it frustrating to "leave" halfway through the Camino and not see Santiago? I'm thinking about doing that instead of leaving from Leon as it will be considerably cheaper since I already live near the border and don't have a whole month to commit to the full CF. Curious to hear your thoughts about that! Thank you
Yes, lots of pilgrims do this. My husband and I often walk "stretches" of the Camino. We already have been to Santiago several times. It isn't a disappointment to me, but I always feel certain I will be back one day which may be the difference for some people.

My first Camino was the Primitivo from Oviedo last year, which can comfortably be done in 15 days. I was a bit earlier - finished 11 October but plenty of pilgrims, albeit many fewer than on the Frances which the route joins for the last 4 days or so. I wanted to do a full route (rather than partial) and had 2 weeks. Gorgeous scenery but quite hilly.
I hiked the Primitivo in October. The weather was perfect Closer to a full 2 weeks for me and if you're not in great condition, 15 days might be rough.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Don't you find it frustrating to "leave" halfway through the Camino and not see Santiago?
For me it would. It depends on your temperment.

I already live near the border and don't have a whole month to commit to the full CF.
Any walk that ends in Santiago is a full Camino for the person walking. St Jean Pied de Port is an arbitrary starting point, so if you really want to experience arriving in Santiago you should start close enough to achieve that.

It is different for me coming from North America. From what I've heard, a number of Europeans will do it in successive sections over a number of years.

For me, the attraction of walking the Camino from my front door as pilgrims have been doing for centuries would be more than the attraction of doing it "all in one go". It is such a special opportunity.

You will see Santiago, just not all in one trip. Maybe the anticipation of completing the journey over several years in successive sections will make the final arrival all the sweeter.

It would be different if this were your one shot and you had no intention of completing the walk to Santiago on a later date. In that case, I would definitely advise starting somewhere that would get you to Santiago.

I do recognize that for many pilgrims a complete pilgrimage and ending in Santiago in one go is very attractive. That was my thinking behind my first suggestion. The Portugues from Porto feels like a complete pilgrimage, but the Frances from Leon feels more like joining one in the middle. I'm just going by how they feel, rather than any technical definition of a "complete pilgrimage".

I’m a bit confused. Do you want to make a pilgrimage to the bones of Santiago or do you just want an inexpensive hiking trip? Have you a reason for “hacer Camino”?
If you’re on pilgrimage to those bones start wherever you can and finish wherever you have to. The Camino and those bones will still be waiting next time you have opportunity to get a little closer.

The best route? Well that’ll be the one you walk. It always is. The Camino Frances is by far the most supported, so even in late October there will be a bed for the night and food available somewhere. The logistics are covered. The Norte might be a bit tougher, and a bit more expensive.

And, as almost an aside, Camino doesn’t start in StJdP. Many pilgrims do, Camino doesn’t

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Another vote for the Primitivo. About the right distance (assuming you can walk 25k a day), it’s a “full” Camino, and nice variety of towns and country en route. Hilly yes, but nothing terrible.

Hello everyone,

Thank you for your help!
Hello, I recommend Leon to Santiago or if you like walking slowly , enjoying stops or short days then start a little nearer to Santiago. I walked Leon to SdC in 12 days alone but walked 7 to 8 hours a day.
Wishing You a Buon Camino

I walked 500km of the Norte in April, with the intent of finishing later, which I am doing now - 3 days away from Santiago as I write. Was it frustrating to leave? Not for me as I had planned from the start to do it in two stages.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Hello everyone,

Thank you for your help!
I just did my first Camino. Leon to Santiago on the Frances. That was 14 days walking. It was a good amount of time and it gave me time to play with an extra day in Finisterre (by land).

Here's my take on the amount of people on the del Norte that time of year:

Yes, it's true that there are very few pilgrims there compared to the CF. But that's only in comparison. I know a couple who started the del Norte just a few weeks ago. They thought there were loads of people doing it! The talked to a bunch of people every day along the way, had communal suppers in full or half-full albergues, etc.

It wasn't until they got to Arzua that they realized what "lots of people" means to those who have been on the CF.

We walked Primitivo this summer as we only had 2 weeks- we (husband and I) finished in 13 days. I thought it was much more difficult due to the hills than the Full French way that I completed the summer before (solo).
Religiously speaking- I enjoyed the evening Mass along the French way that was not really available Primitivo route. (not sure if that schedule changes in Oct).
Both are beautiful and had great pilgrims- the Primitivo was a smaller group- but we got to know everyone really well since not as many places to stay and got to meet them.
Lots of people began around Leon on the French way- so it is a great jumping in point if shorter on time:)
Buen Camino!

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
I just did my first Camino. Leon to Santiago on the Frances. That was 14 days walking. It was a good amount of time and it gave me time to play with an extra day in Finisterre (by land).
Hello - I might replicate this in April with my children. Could you possibly share your route 'map' ie where you stopped and how many hours you walked each day? Would be helpful to me as I will have two 11 year olds in tow and am unsure how far we need to walk each day and also whether i need to book accommodation or not.
thank you!

Most read last week in this forum

Just an FYI that all available beds are taken in SJPDP tonight - fully, truly COMPLETO! There’s an indication of how busy this year may be since it’s just a Wednesday in late April, not usually...
Between Villafranca Montes de Oca and San Juan de Ortega there was a great resting place with benches, totem poles andvarious wooden art. A place of good vibes. It is now completely demolished...
Hi there - we are two 'older' women from Australia who will be walking the Camino in September and October 2025 - we are tempted by the companies that pre book accomodation and bag transfers but...
We have been travelling from Australia via Dubai and have been caught in the kaos in Dubai airport for over 3 days. Sleeping on the floor of the airport and finally Emerites put us up in...
Hi all, Very new to this so please excuse any ignorance or silly questions :) I'm walking my very first Camino in 2 weeks (iieeeek) - the countdown is on and excitement through the roof. I've...
From a friend on the ground in Pamplona https://www.noticiasdenavarra.com/fotos/general/sociedad/2024/04/23/nieve-primaveral-presente-navarra-8152386.html

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back