• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Planning the route

Footloose_Dan

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Portuguese (2011)
Chemin Le Puy (2014)
European Peace Walk (2015)
Hi Everyone,

I have allowed 33 days for my walk from Le Puy to Saint-Jean-Pied-de-Port, including a diversion through the Cele Valley. If this proves to be too tight because of unanticipated situations, which section of the route might I best catch a bus or train to make up time and not miss out on too much of the total experience?

Footloose_Dan

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
If you try to cram too much into the day the day is wasted. You've given yourself a gift of time from your busy life and you want to fritter it away as fast as possible then you've squandered your gift. There is the ditty: you gotta stop and smell the roses along the way.

In my opinion breaking the walk into pieces with a bus or other transport breaks up the walk in ways that interfere with the cognitive and spiritual experience.

Si yo fuera tu ... walk from Le Puy and when you are out of time go home. If you haven't made SJPdP then so what? It'll still be there for another trip.

Hi Everyone,

I have allowed 33 days for my walk from Le Puy to Saint-Jean-Pied-de-Port, including a diversion through the Cele Valley. If this proves to be too tight because of unanticipated situations, which section of the route might I best catch a bus or train to make up time and not miss out on too much of the total experience?

Footloose_Dan

Like Dan, I am also planning hiking from Le Puy all the way to Santiago (hopefully a finisterre trip too). This will be my first camino. I'm trying to plan out how much to hike each day, and plan on camping most of it (bringing a one person tent). Any and all advice would be great. I want to be sure not to rush the camino, and if you all think I could do some section of france, that would be great. I have a friend in Oloron I was planning on visiting for a few days in between, since it seemed like a natural halfway pt (oloron is on the camino arles, but I was planning on grabbing a bus/TER train down...lots of experience doing this in france).

I haven't booked anything in terms of flights but there are ones I can afford from NY to Paris. Need to account for time getting back to Paris to fly out, but I was originally thinking June 23 - September 1. Is this enough time? That's roughly 70 days, not including detours/breaks.

Thanks all, and sorry if I'm stealing your thunder, Dan.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Hi Everyone,

Footloose_Dan
33 Days for the Le Puy route should be fine. You can take train from Cahors to Moissac to gain four days, if you find you are pressed.

Yes, I agree that you should have no problem with allowing for 33 days. We walked it in 29 days with no problems at all. And if you do find yourself tight on time you can always find a bus or taxi, but wait until you really need to. It's a great route and you'll enjoy it. Bon Chemin

Dayton and Karen

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Thanks for all the encouragement and good advice. I take your point too, whariwharangi, what you say makes a lot of sense.
Dan

There's not a lot of bus transport between places along the Le Puy route- when I reached Spain first time around I was really surprised at how readily people found and used buses to skip sections. If you find you are short of time, you might need to take a taxi- though the services that take luggage might also offer an alternative for a passenger. If you find you are short of time, for whatever reason, the locals, eg tourist office or gite owners, will often be able to offer suggestions.
Margaret

There's not a lot of bus transport between places along the Le Puy route- when I reached Spain first time around I was really surprised at how readily people found and used buses to skip sections. If you find you are short of time, you might need to take a taxi- though the services that take luggage might also offer an alternative for a passenger. If you find you are short of time, for whatever reason, the locals, eg tourist office or gite owners, will often be able to offer suggestions.
Margaret

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
It is as good a list as any (except Miam Miam Dodo). My favorite place in St. Privat d'Allier is not on it, though, so I suspect there are omissions.

It is quite a good list, but it isn't complete- eg, I stayed at the gite run by the Amis of St Jacques in Le Puy and I don't see that listed. I wonder too if it isn't all that recent, eg in Montbonnet there is a lovely gite now next to the bar- but it isn't listed. Quite a lot of new gites opened on the Le Puy route between my two walks in 2008 and 2012- so it pays to get up-to-date information.
Margaret

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Like Dan, I am also planning hiking from Le Puy all the way to Santiago (hopefully a finisterre trip too). This will be my first camino. I'm trying to plan out how much to hike each day, and plan on camping most of it (bringing a one person tent). Any and all advice would be great. I want to be sure not to rush the camino, and if you all think I could do some section of france, that would be great. I have a friend in Oloron I was planning on visiting for a few days in between, since it seemed like a natural halfway pt (oloron is on the camino arles, but I was planning on grabbing a bus/TER train down...lots of experience doing this in france).

I haven't booked anything in terms of flights but there are ones I can afford from NY to Paris. Need to account for time getting back to Paris to fly out, but I was originally thinking June 23 - September 1. Is this enough time? That's roughly 70 days, not including detours/breaks.

Thanks all, and sorry if I'm stealing your thunder, Dan.

Hi Dan, are you on the walk?

Shared a room in SJPDP albergue with 3 old guys and a young girl who had walked from Le Puy to SJPDP in 23 days. Their Time was meaningless to me as I know nothing about the route, but they seemed very proud of their time.

Most read last week in this forum

Hello everyone! Well.. one week from today will begin my walk across France and Spain. I see a number of posts regarding a wave of walkers and room accommodation limitations. I am one who is...
Hi. Here's a problem to which I can't find a solution. Any suggestions gratefully received! Last October I walked from Le Puy to Conques, but had to return home due to a family crisis. I'm very...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back