• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Plans to resume Camino Frances from Belorado

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lhollo

Time of past OR future Camino
CF pt2, Belorado to Sarria, May 21 – June 12, 2022
Hello fellow pilgrims!

Having been back from the CF for barely three days, I’m already deep in still-abstract plans to resume our Camino next May to June. I wonder what your thoughts might be on the below ideas and questions…

We’ll have three weeks available but no more

We’ll walk from Belorado. We’ll probably need two rest days although I’d probably manage with just one. Edit: I’d appreciate any thoughts on where would be good for these rest stops. And whether you’d opt for one or two.

I’ll need to prebook private rooms throughout again (health related)

The meseta… a great sheet of beige across my map of Spain… 🤔 Hmmm… (Edit… I understand! We will do the meseta).

How can León be in the meseta? A glorious city… slapped on a great sheet of beige? (I do apologise for my ignorance 😃 I also do realise that I am not clearly picturing the actual meseta. My brain needs to install the correct update). (Edit… update installed successfully)

Maybe ending in Villafranca is a good option. It’d leave the big climb to O’Cebreiro for Day 1 of our final trip to Spain (2023?! Too long to wait!). Maybe this would feel like Day 1 out of SJPDP. Good to hit it with fresh legs. Really, I want to do it asap, though. Sounds too much fun to leave out.

Maybe spending 80% of our time in the meseta and then just having a hint of green at the end would feel unsatisfying in some way? (Edit… see above edits re meseta 😀)

May to June… as good a time as any? Still verdant. Not too hot nor cold. Or is it not ideal for the meseta?

Flying from Manchester or Liverpool in the U.K. to Madrid seems sensible: an easy train to Burgos then bus to Belorado.

Returning from probably Villafranca, I’m thinking the best option is a bus to León then train back to Madrid. However, I don’t like the times of flights home from Madrid and keep looking for alternatives. All airports in northwest Spain don’t seem to fly to northwest U.K.. Given Covid, I prefer to avoid connections through other countries where possible. Any thoughts on this would be appreciated.

Clothing: for my Late August/early September CF I took two tiny pairs of shorts, two super light tops, a super light fleece and a travel dress for evenings (yes, it was remarked upon, but so versatile and… super light!). Disposable ponchos were on hand. Is this a bad plan for May/June in the sections I’m looking at?

Last edited:
Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Hello fellow pilgrims!

Having been back from the CF for barely three days, I’m already deep in still-abstract plans to resume our Camino next May to June. I wonder what your thoughts might be on the below ideas and questions…

We’ll walk from Belorado. We’ll probably need two rest days although I’d probably manage with just one.

The meseta… a great sheet of beige across my map of Spain… 🤔 Hmmm…

How can León be in the meseta? A glorious city… slapped on a great sheet of beige? (I do apologise for my ignorance 😃 I also do realise that I am not clearly picturing the actual meseta. My brain needs to install the correct update).

Maybe ending in Villafranca is a good option. It’d leave the big climb to O’Cebreiro for Day 1 of our final trip to Spain (2023?! Too long to wait!). Maybe this would feel like Day 1 out of SJPDP. Good to hit it with fresh legs. Really, I want to do it asap, though. Sounds too much fun to leave out.

Maybe spending 80% of our time in the meseta and then just having a hint of green at the end would feel unsatisfying in some way?

May to June… as good a time as any? Still verdant. Not too hot nor cold. Or is it not ideal for the meseta?

Flying from Manchester or Liverpool in the U.K. to Madrid seems sensible: an easy train to Burgos then bus to Belorado.

Returning from probably Villafranca, I’m thinking the best option is a bus to León then train back to Madrid. However, I don’t like the times of flights home from Madrid and keep looking for alternatives. All airports in northwest Spain don’t seem to fly to northwest U.K.. Given Covid, I prefer to avoid connections through other countries where possible. Any thoughts on this would be appreciated.

Clothing: for my Late August/early September CF I took two tiny pairs of shorts, two super light tops, a super light fleece and a travel dress for evenings (yes, it was remarked upon, but so versatile and… super light!). Disposable ponchos were on hand. Is this a bad plan for May/June in the sections I’m looking at?
The Meseta is definitely not beige. In May/June the Meseta is glorious with flowers especially poppies, cuckoos, and storks with their babies in their nests. The rivers are beautiful, with trees in leaf, its a beautiful time. You'll probably find cherries, and lots of beautiful scented flowering trees. The mountains will have purple heather and other more delicate flowers.
Depending on the timing, you'll need layers. Mornings can be cold, but the days usually heat up. We walked late May, ending early June in Santiago. The days were in the low 20's (C) when we started, late 30's when we finished. Every morning I had on all my clothes, my mid morning I was just in a T-shirt.

The Meseta is definitely not beige. In May/June the Meseta is glorious with flowers especially poppies, cuckoos, and storks with their babies in their nests. The rivers are beautiful, with trees in leaf, its a beautiful time. You'll probably find cherries, and lots of beautiful scented flowering trees. The mountains will have purple heather and other more delicate flowers.
Depending on the timing, you'll need layers. Mornings can be cold, but the days usually heat up. We walked late May, ending early June in Santiago. The days were in the low 20's (C) when we started, late 30's when we finished. Every morning I had on all my clothes, my mid morning I was just in a T-shirt.
Oooh that whole description makes me very happy 😃 🌺 🐦

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
WOW!! Hehe , so many questions but hey that's partly what a forum is for? There are many albergues that have separate rooms but you will pay a higher price - I think you know this? - it helps if you have a partner to bring costs down.
DO NOT miss the Meseta , DOOO NOT!! It is one of the best parts of the Frances.
You can always consider a bus from T4 to Burgos with one change . Leon is a gem that certainly warrants a rest day.
Clothing - it can be chills in the morning and at night. I would invest in a proper rain suit comprising of separate long pants and jacket. This would help with the chilly spells and rain and the longs in the evenings would be a little more formal? Don't skimp on clothing - I will leave the rest to other members.

Oh my, the meseta is also a golden beauty in the fall. It is possible to make progress quickly because it is flat. I enjoyed a wonderful pilgrim meal and hospitality at the Albergue Santa Brigida at HONTANAS. And most important: FROMISTA, CARRION DE LOS CONDES, and SAHAGUN are full of religious, historical and artistic treasures. There is so much in the meseta -- don't miss it.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
As others have said the Meseta is glorious in the spring. The green wheat waves in the wind and the flowers are blooming. It is beautiful and in my opinion, a not to miss. In the spring I am usually there the first week of May and it has been cold, sometimes below freezing in the morning and warming to comfortable if the sun is out. You will definitely need a different wardrobe in the spring. Rain is more probable but not definite. I’ve walked years where we got some rain 75% of the days and another spring where I didn’t pull out my rain gear, but you should have more than a disposable poncho. It’s easier to walk in the cooler temperatures and a little possible rain is the price we pay for the beautiful spring landscape. I’ve walked in spring, summer and fall and spring is my favorite.

Hello fellow pilgrims!

We’ll walk from Belorado. We’ll probably need two rest days although I’d probably manage with just one.

The meseta… a great sheet of beige across my map of Spain… 🤔 Hmmm…

How can León be in the meseta? A glorious city… slapped on a great sheet of beige? (I do apologise for my ignorance 😃 I also do realise that I am not clearly picturing the actual meseta. My brain needs to install the correct update).

Maybe spending 80% of our time in the meseta and then just having a hint of green at the end would feel unsatisfying in some way?

Hi Lhollo,

My strong advice is to finish on a "high". The walk up to O'Cebreiro is a long haul and best done when when you are walking fit - not quite a breeze but an enjoyable walk if you are fully fit. The thought of starting at the bottom of that hill on your next trip is as daunting as the off from SJPP. Starting stage 3 from the top will be a much easier task!

Hi Lhollo,

My strong advice is to finish on a "high". The walk up to O'Cebreiro is a long haul and best done when when you are walking fit - not quite a breeze but an enjoyable walk if you are fully fit. The thought of starting at the bottom of that hill on your next trip is as daunting as the off from SJPP. Starting stage 3 from the top will be a much easier task!
Oh gosh, I was thinking the opposite about SJPP! I loved the section out from SJPP and found it surprisingly fine, (quote of the day ‘It’s a bit like Wales!’, but we did walk in fog) but I did of course have fairly fresh legs. I was also geared up for the challenge of it. I’d be less keen to embark on it if I were in the shape I was in after Los Arcos > Logroño (long day, muscle strain) then Logroño to Nájera (Owwww). I think a tough day soon after those two would have been too much, although the shorter stage to Santo Domingo was ideal. I’m giving your perspective thought, though. And it’s helping me to understand myself, weirdly, too. Thank you 🙏

Join the Camino Cleanup in May from Ponferrada to Sarria. Registration closes Mar 22.
As others have said the Meseta is glorious in the spring. The green wheat waves in the wind and the flowers are blooming. It is beautiful and in my opinion, a not to miss. In the spring I am usually there the first week of May and it has been cold, sometimes below freezing in the morning and warming to comfortable if the sun is out. You will definitely need a different wardrobe in the spring. Rain is more probable but not definite. I’ve walked years where we got some rain 75% of the days and another spring where I didn’t pull out my rain gear, but you should have more than a disposable poncho. It’s easier to walk in the cooler temperatures and a little possible rain is the price we pay for the beautiful spring landscape. I’ve walked in spring, summer and fall and spring is my favorite.
What are your thoughts on June for the meseta?

It’d leave the big climb to O’Cebreiro for Day 1 of our final trip to Spain (2023?! Too long to wait!). Maybe this would feel like Day 1 out of SJPDP. Good to hit it with fresh legs.
I agree with Joe. There is a big difference in the comparison.
  • Day 1 from SJPP takes you up the hard part at the beginning of the day.
  • Villafranca to O Cebreiro is 30 km, of which the hard part is the last part.
I have done both, with no real problem because I go slowly when it is steep, but starting a Camino with 30 km to O Cebreiro seems daunting to me. If you are feeling good on the next trip, maybe try to push on past Villafranca, to give yourself a head start on day 1 of your final trip.

[Edited to remove assumption about going only 8 km to Orisson]

Last edited:
A selection of Camino Jewellery
Day 1 from SJPP takes you up the hard part at the beginning of the day. (And furthermore you knew you were only going 8 km that day.)
Thanks for your response. I see your logic that the hard part being late in the day is not ideal and makes matters more difficult.

Did you mean to say that SJPP to Roncesvalles is 8 km? I work in miles so I think of that day as a 14 mile one, but it’s around 25 km?

Most of @Lhollo's questions have been addressed here, so she has started a new thread seeking specific itinerary suggestions. To avoid confusion and overlap, this thread will be closed and you can participate in @Lhollo 's planning journey in this new thread.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Most read last week in this forum

I'm sure many of you like me have followed the writing of Anton Pombo, who is currently lecturing in the United States. See this interview...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back