• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Poisonous Snakes???

intrepidtraveler

Time of past OR future Camino
Caminos Madrid, Frances and Finisterre (2015)
Camino Norte-2017; Camino Ingles from A Coruna - 2017
Greetings -

In all of my reading camino questions on the forum, I don't ever recall anyone talking about the need to look out for poisonous snakes. Do they not exist in Spain or are people just not talking about them? If they are around, what should I be on the look out for? Do they make any noise to warn you like our western rattlesnakes are supposed to?

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Snakes really aren't a problem on the Camino. Obviously if you see one don't pick it up... I think the only venomous one is the viper.
I really wouldn't worry . :)
Which camino are you doing?

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
There are 13 snakes species native to Spain, five of which are venomous. There are several viper species, all of which have potentially fatal bites. See the link @wayfarer provided above for details.

I would think treating every snake as potentially venomous makes good sense.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Here in Texas I've heard from a herpotologist that a majority of people who are bitten are drunk. So my take away was that just be cautious about highly vegetated areas. Never place your hand where you can't see what's there. I also heard that all our snakes are pretty scared of humans and will slither away quickly when they are aware of us. Only one snake here is aggressive and will follow you. Since I've seen snakes in my own back yard, I do wear a light at night when I go walking even on the street.

Btw, non venomous snakes might not kill you, but their bites can be painful, cause serious infection, and ,rarely, allergic reaction.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Met a wild boar on my way to Porrino on the CP.... lucky for me and the other pilgrim it was as startled as us and no babies in sight...Whew!

Hello from Zamora where I have started as hospitalera. Kinkyone stopped over night.

It is bloody hot here and no relief insight. I have no idea why anyone would want to walk or cycle the VDLP now. ♨♨♨♨

Wild boars. Bears. Wolves. Poisonous snakes. Northern Spain has all those, but honestly you are more in danger of slipping on loose rocks and getting injured, or getting struck by a vehicle or even getting struck by lightning than you are of being attacked by wildlife.
I wouldn't even give it a thought.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Wild boars. Bears. Wolves. Poisonous snakes. Northern Spain has all those, but honestly you are more in danger of slipping on loose rocks and getting injured, or getting struck by a vehicle or even getting struck by lightning than you are of being attacked by wildlife.
Mark, I am sure you are absolutely correct. But let's still have our bit of hopefully, harmless, scary stories. :)

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Hello from Zamora where I have started as hospitalera. Kinkyone stopped over night.

It is bloody hot here and no relief insight. I have no idea why anyone would want to walk or cycle the VDLP now. ♨♨♨♨

Hello, shame I missed you when in Zamora....already nearly 4 weeks ago!
Was bloody hot then too and kept on asking myself the same thing :D Seriously doubted my sanity :D
All the very best for your time as hospitalera.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
You're very welcome. It's been fun.
Have a buen, and worry-free Camino. :):)

I plan to. My departure date (Sept.2), which used to seem off in the distant future is fast approaching. Am really looking forward to this adventure. The forum has been a hugely beneficial resource for planning. Thanks again to all who make it happen.

Yes, I know the feeling. :)

Another good reason to keep walking.

Spend too much time standing still admiring the view, you might end up as somebody's lunch

;)

I saw a large one curled in the attack position - just at waist height in the side of the trail (on the Portugues) I was standing looking around wondering if there was a standpipe somewhere leaking... Then realised it was the snake hissing! I took to my heels... I'm so dozy I deserve to get bitten!

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Another good reason to keep walking.

Spend too much time standing still admiring the view, you might end up as somebody's lunch

;)
I saw a large one curled in the attack position - just at waist height in the side of the trail (on the Portugues) I was standing looking around wondering if there was a standpipe somewhere leaking... Then realised it was the snake hissing! I took to my heels... I'm so dozy I deserve to get bitten!
Circling vultures and snakes poised to attack .... Not sure I want to joke about these things anymore. :confused::confused: But, seriously, I'd go on Camino again in a heartbeat.

I recall going on a kayak trip in Georgian Bay.

The lady at the store where I bought my charts also gave me advice about Massasauga Rattlers.

So whenever I was thrashing around on shores looking for a campsite I spent a lot of time keeping an eye out for snakes.

Sure enough, I got a bad case of poison ivy.

I wouldn't worry about snakes on the camino. They are there but are only a hazard if you provoke them.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
On the Camino Portuguese last year between Barcelos and Casa Fernanda, I stepped off the path to have a little pee and after I got back on the path and was getting my pack back on, two people passed me. We had been passing each other all morning and further along they had stopped for a snack. So I joked that they had almost caught me. I kept walking and up ahead of me I heard a shriek. When I got up to a father and daughter there was a dead snake on the path. I think it had been run over by a farm tractor. I don't think it was poisonous but it sure stopped me from stepping off the path.

I was born in the sunburnt country of Australia and lived most of my youth hiking the wild back country of Canada.

I have run into or seen first hand up close whales, sharks, salties, kangaroos, poison snakes, fist sized spiders, eagles, vultures, wild boars, bears, wild dogs, and even moose but never on the camino.

Aside from the occasional slightly crazy human, in my opinion it is those tiny little buggy things that can inflict the most harm, like the infamous Canadian black fly, and "the Aussie mozzie" but then again I have never experienced these on the camino

You have a better chance of slipping and falling flat on your face while walking and looking out for any of the above.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Viewed a few snakes in france. Tried to move a large viper of the road. He got a bit pissy and would not budge.

Edited by Moderator.

Greetings -

In all of my reading camino questions on the forum, I don't ever recall anyone talking about the need to look out for poisonous snakes. Do they not exist in Spain or are people just not talking about them? If they are around, what should I be on the look out for? Do they make any noise to warn you like our western rattlesnakes are supposed to?
I saw 3 snakes on the Camino Frances this April and May. One was on the canal towpath near Fromista. One was in the grass near the Cruz de Ferro near the picnic tables. The 3rd one was on the path just beyond Cruz de Ferro not that far from where I saw the second one. I have no idea what kind of snakes they were but felt happy to be wearing boots rather than sandals!

I saw this chap crossing the road when I walked the Norte. In nearly 3000KM it's only one I've seen and it certainly wasn't interested in us pilgrims :)

bDJyANN.png

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I saw 3 snakes on the Camino Frances this April and May. One was on the canal towpath near Fromista. One was in the grass near the Cruz de Ferro near the picnic tables. The 3rd one was on the path just beyond Cruz de Ferro not that far from where I saw the second one. I have no idea what kind of snakes they were but felt happy to be wearing boots rather than sandals!
Ahh, spring!

And snake forums running hot on peregrino numbers...

I'm from a bunch of islands at the opposite end of the earth to Spain where anything remotely dangerous with 0, 2, 4, 6 or 8 legs(excepting the Katipo spider) had ancestors that came or hitched a ride on a seagoing vessel of some kind and currently resides in a prohibitively expensive commercial habitat. So I too was very interested in things that might bite and what to do if they did.
I had a link with all the snakes for identification purposes. Over 7 weeks on the Salvador and Primitivo we saw quite a few dead snakes and pencil -thin tiny live snakes. It became amusing to photograph tiny snakes and giant slugs. A few times we'd see a snake whizzing out of our way in the long grass in the daytime. However we became a little complacent and on our last evening of walking on the grass verge into Negriera, we startled a sleepy Lataste viper which was too cool to whizz away and did a very impressive aggressive display - but didn't actually bite us. Avoid complacency - especially at dusk and dawn.
Our first night in Leon my phone alarm rang in Kiwi time and I dashed out to the toilet to try to silence it and met a peregrina with a tick behind her knee who instructed me in how to remove a tick correctly. We wore long sleeves and leggings in pasture and never got a tick.
We never had bedbugs.
We never saw or heard a wolf.
We walked through many boar-hunting preserves and saw a few hunters and their dogs, but never a boar. Maybe they didn't see any either...
Most of the dogs minded their own business. As a precautionary measure I swung a Pacer pole in front of and behind me and walked between dogs and daughter to protect both of our legs. All except one small dog took the hint and that one was retrieved by its human after a display of fangs and growl.
We thought there were 8 re-introduced bears in Asturias, but we were wrong. There are really over 120 and there are groves of nuts and fruit being planted for the mama and baby bears rather than peregrinos - but we saw neither bears nor sign thereof.
I'd read that people had had alarming encounters with cattle, and had been prodded by inquisitive steers when walking at home so I read up on how to keep cows and steers happy, and avoid bulls. The Spanish cows and steers were all pretty happy and the bulls well-fenced so no worries there.
I researched those vultures too. Apparently they can tell if you're dead, so are no threat while you're alive and could save freight costs of shipping your remains home should said remains be weighed. So I felt quite relaxed about them.
Back home we drive on the left. I got talking to an old lady from Pola de Lena who advised me to always walk izquierda or else the traffic would get me from behind like El Torro.
So 2 legs and 4 wheels were the most hazardous and we survived and thrived unscathed.

Guides that will let you complete the journey your way.
On the Camino Portuguese last year between Barcelos and Casa Fernanda, I stepped off the path to have a little pee and after I got back on the path and was getting my pack back on, two people passed me. We had been passing each other all morning and further along they had stopped for a snack. So I joked that they had almost caught me. I kept walking and up ahead of me I heard a shriek. When I got up to a father and daughter there was a dead snake on the path. I think it had been run over by a farm tractor. I don't think it was poisonous but it sure stopped me from stepping off the path.
Why would one shriek over the sight of a dead snake?
Where I worked as a copper in south Texas had a lot of rural areas in it and subsequently I responded to my share of calls involving wildlife and humans. Snakes, skunks, deer, raccoons, coyotes, alligators, etc. A couple of times I went to homes where a snake had made entry and there were men at the house. Really? I wouldn't say anything, but I would think, dude, you're scared of a snake? Funny thing was, most of the time the snake was of the non-poisonous variety, so I'd catch it, stick it in a bag and let er go down the road in the brush.

Living in the tropics, I once was greeted by a gigantic toad in the toilet bowl. Then there was the time I reached for my night gown and discovered a tarantula on it. Not too much startles me any more. :)

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back