• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Ponte de Lima to Santiago in 4 days

J11

Time of past OR future Camino
4 August 2023
Hello! I'm new here!

How realistic is to walk from Ponte de Lima to the Santiago in 4 full hiking days? I run around 50 miles/week around my working day. For example I can run 10 miles on Saturday, 13 on Sunday and then shorter (7-8 mile runs on week days) with 1 day rest, so I'm fit but I've not tried walking 25 miles/day and I don't know how tough the route is?

I'll just be taking a small day pack and getting my larger rucksack transported.

Thanks!

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
We did the 115k from Sarria to Santiago in 3 days last year (btw without that backpack transport nonsense). But we had 700km of training on the CF before that. So i guess, ~155k in 4 days would be possible, but only for a small percentage of persons if they are properly trained.
I would advise against it even if you would be able to do it. You will not have much time to experience the camino since you'll spend most of it walking.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Hmm thanks. In terms of why I think it was a combination of thinking Ponte de Lima looks like a beautiful place to visit, and being quite up for a bit of a ‘challenge’.

Plus of course that I can only take four days off work.

But maybe I should revisit my decision 🤔

Hello! I'm new here!

How realistic is to walk from Ponte de Lima to the Santiago in 4 full hiking days? I run around 50 miles/week around my working day. For example I can run 10 miles on Saturday, 13 on Sunday and then shorter (7-8 mile runs on week days) with 1 day rest, so I'm fit but I've not tried walking 25 miles/day and I don't know how tough the route is?

I'll just be taking a small day pack and getting my larger rucksack transported.

Thanks
I agree with Trecile. It isn’t the distance but the consecutive days of walking. Before we walked we did a test run in a place that had similar climate to Portugal and walked 5 days in a row. Tested our walking, pack loading, sink washing and drying, etc. Taught us a lot and glad we did it before traveling across the pond. If you have a chance to walk high mileage on consecutive days I highly recommend it.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Thank you. Struggling to find the time but I'm going to try running >10 miles on 3 consecutive days over this weekend (did 11 today before work) and see how that works out.

Yes, thank you all. I think I’m going to back myself and attempt it. My instinct is that I’ve got the fitness but the mental endurance (and possibly the blisters) could be an issue. My flight out from Santiago will give me a couple of days or wiggle room so if I need to slow down I will!

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Yes, thank you all. I think I’m going to back myself and attempt it. My instinct is that I’ve got the fitness but the mental endurance (and possibly the blisters) could be an issue. My flight out from Santiago will give me a couple of days or wiggle room so if I need to slow down I will!
You might want to look at the training/preparation recommendations for one of the European multi-day walks, like the Nijmegen 4 Days walk. You would be doing something similar to the four 40 km walks for that event. Having an idea about how to prepare yourself for walking, rather than running, might help. There is a training schedule here: https://www.voorbereidingvierdaagse.nl/trainingsschema. If you use Chrome to open the page, it will give you the option to translate it to a language of your choice.

It is realistic, but only you know the real answer.
Thank you. Helpful!
You might want to look at the training/preparation recommendations for one of the European multi-day walks, like the Nijmegen 4 Days walk. You would be doing something similar to the four 40 km walks for that event. Having an idea about how to prepare yourself for walking, rather than running, might help. There is a training schedule here: https://www.voorbereidingvierdaagse.nl/trainingsschema. If you use Chrome to open the page, it will give you the option to translate it to a language of your choice.
thanks !

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
What is the rush? if you are simply trying to complete a regulation Camino to qualify for a Compostela, start at Tui, on the Spanish side of the bridge. That is the 100 km threshold. You might be able to do the remaining +/- 100 km in four days.

As VNwalking correctly points out, the entire point of the Camino is to experience the Camino - not just DO a Camino. But, to each his or her own.

Buen Camino - or Bom Caminho (Portuguese)

Tom

I am curious what is your priority, is it either the Camino or the physical challenge?

If it is the Camino, I would start 100km and enjoy the vibe, if your goal is to cover 150km in 4 days I personally would look for 2 towns/cities that distance apart elsewhere and go for it, because on the Camino doing 150km in 4 days you will be the odd one out if that matters.

Anyway, an interesting question always good to have something different being asked on the forum, good luck whatever you choose.

Ummm, puzzled.
Walking the Camino IS the experiencing yhe Camino.

Sounds like you've set yourself a worthy goal, @J1and I hope you have a wonderful time!
Buen camino!
Maybe i used the wrong words. Yes, Camino is walking. But it is also meeting people, having talks, visiting churches, etc. If i spend 8h (which is optimistic) "covering distance" then i have less time for the other parts.

Just remember running is a completely different activity from walking using different muscles, stride length, foot impact, foot movement within the shoe, and where impact placement is on the foot.

Hello! I'm new here!

Thanks!

You’ve got a good chance of that working.

You would get the same cultural experience by heading to the gym, taking to the treadmill and having someone give you a portion of tortilla de patatas every few hours.

Dial down the distance and smell the roses.

Hahah thank you all. Yes I"m keen not to make it too much of a "sport". I just don't have much holiday time and Ponte de Lima looks beautiful. Your feedback has been very helpful so I'll reflect on that.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Hello! I'm new here!

Thanks!
My knees don't allow me to run anymore, but at 62 and with decent hike/bike/elliptical training, I consistently average 23 miles per day on the whole Frances, and can do many consecutive 25 mlle days, AND I meet and converse with numerous people along the way, during long breaks in the cafes and long diners at the albergues. I also take many side excursions and visit various historical sites and buildings. If you can run those distances with under 8-minute-miles, you should have no problem. Your stamina and aerobic capacity on the hills will be tremendous. So take a day or two and see how walking 25 miles feels in your camino shoes with pack.

My knees don't allow me to run anymore, but at 62 and with decent hike/bike/elliptical training, I consistently average 23 miles per day on the whole Frances, and can do many consecutive 25 mlle days, AND I meet and converse with numerous people along the way, during long breaks in the cafes and long diners at the albergues. I also take many side excursions and visit various historical sites and buildings. If you can run those distances with under 8-minute-miles, you should have no problem. Your stamina and aerobic capacity on the hills will be tremendous. So take a day or two and see how walking 25 miles feels in your camino shoes with pack.
Thank you so much!!

On a separate note - I'm going on 3 August - do you think a sleeping bag liner will be enough, or should I bring a sleeping bag? Might lightest one is +7 Celsius so still quite warm. I'm usually quite a cold person but I'm guessing the hostels stay pretty warm at night, and I can wear jumpers if needed....?

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
On a separate note - I'm going on 3 August - do you think a sleeping bag liner will be enough, or should I bring a sleeping bag? Might lightest one is +7 Celsius so still quite warm. I'm usually quite a cold person but I'm guessing the hostels stay pretty warm at night, and I can wear jumpers if needed....?
You can get away with the liner in August

Hello. Just an update from me - I landed in Porto yesterday and started walking from Ponte de Lima today. I made it to Tui which I’m pleased about. Let’s see how the next few days go and how my feet feel tomorrow! 🤞🤞🤞

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Hello! Another update...

I made it from Tui to Arcade yesterday - felt like I could have gone further at the end, but then was SO shattered that evening - in bed by 845. I think maybe because of the heat.

I was really worried that I'd overdone it last night but actually although I was still a bit stiff this morning I'm now in Caldas De Reis and am feeling much more energetic than yesterday. This could be to do with a shadier route and more wind so it wasn't as hot. It is also less far of course!

Overall it's an incredible experience and I'm pleased with my choices so far. It's what I needed for now. I think another time with shorter distances, a couple friends and more local wine 😂 would also be amazing - for a future trip!

Most read last week in this forum

My final question since I have asked sooo many. Grabbing a light lunch that I can get on the go, hoping to grab it, and find a square or a bench to enjoy it, then get back to walking. Not really...
Hello everyone! My wife and I are doing our first Camino in Sept and I was very curious about the stretch from Tui to Pontevedra. We have been to Spain multiple times and love the small towns...
We arrived in Lisbon yesterday, 48 hrs (by choice via Singapore, Milan and Madrid) after leaving home from regional South Australia. Train to Porto tomorrow hitting the pilgram path on Saturday to...
I’ll be finishing the Caminho Português next month. Last year I wore Hoka Challenger 6 ATR shoes. I did have some blisters and foot pain, but a lot could have been due to the 30+km days from...
Hello, I lost my GoPro with all my pictures on the Camino between Pedra Furada and Aborim last week. Is there a lost and found in SDC? Any other ideas? Thanks and Buen Camino.

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back