• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Porto to Santiago (Central route) in September 2020

provodnikcamino

Time of past OR future Camino
Sarria-Santiago (09/2019)
Porto-Santiago (09/2022)
Planning my second Camino, the 1st one was last year and only from Sarria to Santiago due to time restrictions. This time I am thinking about doing it from Porto in Portugal to Santiago and the Central route. I'll be checking the forum's calendar to see if anybody posts his/her dates there. Maybe will connect if you are an early riser (5am is good).
If we connect and go together for a minute, a mile, or a day, please do not feel imposed or obligated to stay for the rest of the way. Come and go is the best way to do it. Some walk fast, some do it slow, some talk, some don't. Feel free to be your own self.

Last edited:
Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
A Warm Welcome to the Forum :) And Buen Camino. I'll be doing the CP from Porto; starting with the Litoral for a day, then moving to the Central. Starting on October 4, though.

A Warm Welcome to the Forum :) And Buen Camino. I'll be doing the CP from Porto; starting with the Litoral for a day, then moving to the Central. Starting on October 4, though.
Senor Bugg, Who knows if we will meet in Porto. I will be walking with a few of my college buddies. There are 10 of us who have stayed brothers (not fraternity brothers) since 1972 and we all graduated in 1975. Right now there are 4 walking. Maybe more as we get closer. I will probably be the only one starting in Lisbon with the other guys meeting in Coimbra. We could be in Porto when you are there. Maybe we will meet for a Port in Porto. We will walk the litoral up the coast. It would be great to meet you if you can and if we are there at the same time. You are going to love Portugal, the food, the scenery, lots of people speak English. But what you will love the most is the Portuguese people. None better, anywhere!

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Planning my second Camino, the 1st one was last year and only from Sarria to Santiago due to time restrictions. This time I am thinking about doing it from Porto in Portugal to Santiago and the Central route. I'll be checking the forum's calendar to see if anybody posts his/her dates there. Maybe will connect if you are an early riser (5am is good).
If we connect and go together for a minute, a mile, or a day, please do not feel imposed or obligated to stay for the rest of the way. Come and go is the best way to do it. Some walk fast, some do it slow, some talk, some don't. Feel free to be your own self.
Welcome, I did Porto to Santiago starting 26 September 2019. Weather was perfect, only rained on last day into Santiago. A word of caution though. I am also an early riser but got lost twice by starting in the dark and missing yellow arrows or route markers. Walked about 2km the wrong way both times. Bon Camino

When walking Sarria to Santiago, I used a GPS file (*.gpx) with all turns and twists. It was very helpful and I got off the track only once while talking with somebody and not watching. Other than that, it was very accurate. I already downloaded the Portugal gpx file (all routes in one file) and hope that it is as good as the Spanish one was.

I wonder if somebody can point me in the right direction to find out if it is possible to split the flight (not sure what the correct term is for this). I fly from New York via Porto to Madrid. The return flight is the same MAD-OPO-NYC. My camino will start from Porto. It seems a huge waste of time and money to go all the way to Madrid on the first leg of the trip, then fly back to Porto, and waste a whole day and some $70, on top of being exhosted. Does anybody know if TPA (that's the airline I'll be flying on) will cause me any trouble if I disembark in Porto and not in Madrid on the incoming flight. But then return to Madrid an the end of the camino and fly the full return flight MAD-OPO-NYC? I found some information regarding other airlines but nothing from TAP is to be found anywhere. Any help much appreciated. I'd prefer just practical (knowledgeable) advice, not any scolding or moralizing, if possible. In my mind, if I paid the full price for the flight, it should be completely up to me how to use the product.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
4 of us planning to walk porto to santiago early september which would be best route and would we need to book accommodation in advance. this is my 3rd camino.

I wonder if somebody can point me in the right direction to find out if it is possible to split the flight (not sure what the correct term is for this). I fly from New York via Porto to Madrid. The return flight is the same MAD-OPO-NYC. My camino will start from Porto. It seems a huge waste of time and money to go all the way to Madrid on the first leg of the trip, then fly back to Porto, and waste a whole day and some $70, on top of being exhosted. Does anybody know if TPA (that's the airline I'll be flying on) will cause me any trouble if I disembark in Porto and not in Madrid on the incoming flight. But then return to Madrid an the end of the camino and fly the full return flight MAD-OPO-NYC? I found some information regarding other airlines but nothing from TAP is to be found anywhere. Any help much appreciated. I'd prefer just practical (knowledgeable) advice, not any scolding or moralizing, if possible. In my mind, if I paid the full price for the flight, it should be completely up to me how to use the product.
You will need to make sure you tell them you want to retrieve your luggage at Porto so that they don't check it through to Madrid. Other than that I don't think it will be a problem.

My luggage is going to be a carry-on only. TAP does not have anything on their website that I could find. United has some draconian rules about it.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
I found a phone number for them and called them. What they said did not sound encouraging. The lady said that if I miss the flight from Porto to Madrid, all remaining flights will be automatically cancelled due to "no-show". They squeeze us from all directions: luggage limitations, bag fees, nasty food, and force to spend more money. Oh well, what do you do. I'll have to fly to MAD and then back to OPO.

So if you miss your outbound flight they cancel the return leg? People miss flights all the time and have to travel by other means. I've never heard of that.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
4 of us planning to walk porto to santiago early september which would be best route and would we need to book accommodation in advance. this is my 3rd camino.
I started in Porto on 26 September last year, did not book accommodation in advance but had no problem finding a bed in first albergue or private hostel I tried each day. Looking at your user name, we might come from the same part of the world. Bon Camino

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
So if you miss your outbound flight they cancel the return leg? People miss flights all the time and have to travel by other means. I've never heard of that.
That's what the representative told me (I called their 800 number is the US). Her English was OK but I am not sure she completely understood me. She said if I do a "no-show" for any segment of the flight, everything after that would be canceled. I'll give them another call to see if I get somebody different but for now I reluctantly plan to fly to Madrid (via Porto), board another plane and fly back to Porto. It seems that airlines are really on a roll of doing whatever they want to their passengers.

That's what the representative told me (I called their 800 number is the US). Her English was OK but I am not sure she completely understood me. She said if I do a "no-show" for any segment of the flight, everything after that would be canceled. I'll give them another call to see if I get somebody different but for now I reluctantly plan to fly to Madrid (via Porto), board another plane and fly back to Porto. It seems that airlines are really on a roll of doing whatever they want to their passengers.
I think the issue is if you check in for the flight then don't show at the gate then they will put calls out for you at the airport and the flight will likely be delayed. What you want to do is tell them you don't want to take the flight and not to check you in.
I appreciate they may not allow you to do that. And obviously you have to listen to what they say because I'm just speculating.

There is a clear difference between missing a connection and simply not showing up
The post 9-11 world surely don't want to deal with such possibilities for obvious reasons
In US IIRC you can get a pretty steep fine for stunt like that...
What I fail to understand is if there is a NYC-OPO route why not just take it?

Last edited:
€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I found a phone number for them and called them. What they said did not sound encouraging. The lady said that if I miss the flight from Porto to Madrid, all remaining flights will be automatically cancelled due to "no-show". They squeeze us from all directions: luggage limitations, bag fees, nasty food, and force to spend more money. Oh well, what do you do. I'll have to fly to MAD and then back to OPO.
That is true. They will cancel you.
It would be better to use expedia. Do a multi destination flight search putting in your cities and dates. See what it brings up for TAP (or others)to get choices of times and prices.

There is a clear difference between missing a connection and simply not showing up
The post 9-11 world surely don't want to deal with such possibilities for obvious reasons
In US IIRC you can get a pretty steep fine for stunt like that...
What I fail to understand is if there is a NYC-OPO route why not just take it?
It's because my wife and I planned to meet in Madrid and return home from Madrid. Interestengly, just flying to OPO is more expensive than flying to MAD. Now with the virus situation, everything changes and the whole trip may be postponed at best or canceled all together. So, so sad, both for the people who got ill and for many others who will be affected.

Welcome, I did Porto to Santiago starting 26 September 2019. Weather was perfect, only rained on last day into Santiago. A word of caution though. I am also an early riser but got lost twice by starting in the dark and missing yellow arrows or route markers. Walked about 2km the wrong way both times. Bon Camino
Hey just thinking about that route, which I loved and had hoped to reprise this year. Departed Pontevedra Sept. 30 after a 2-day rest stop, in direction Caldas de Reis. Splashed along the Rua Real before dawn on very foggy morning. Over the Puente de Burgo bridge we tagged behind the last of 3 guys walking together -- that guy wore flashing lights on his ankle. Lost sight of the lights in fog, missed a left-turn marker and ended up literally butting into a farmer leading horse thru the fog to the field. He pointed us back downhill and .... we picked up a faint flashing ankle light just as dawn approached. Camino-dreaming!

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
The lady said that if I miss the flight from Porto to Madrid, all remaining flights will be automatically cancelled due to "no-show".

Hi, Yes, it’s true, your remaining flights will all be cancelled.

I know this thread is a bit old, and things have changed (a LOT!!) in the last few months, but I’ve only just seen it, so thought I’d post this anyway.

I had a cheap return flight to Porto via Madrid. I wanted to “get off” in Madrid on the way there.

Thank goodness I told this forum I was going to do that! Members told me I couldn’t.

So I checked and double-checked with the airline, and discovered for sure that if I didn’t take the Madrid to Porto flight on the way there, my return flights would all be invalidated.

So I had to fly to Porto (via Madrid), overnight at a hostel at Porto airport, and next morning I took another cheap flight back to Madrid.

Mad, but true.

Most read last week in this forum

I am 29 doing the Frances by myself starting in SJPdP next week. I didn’t realize this was a busiest time to do the Frances so I am really nervous about the bed race. I don’t mind socializing or...
Hace dos días falleció a los 78 años Pepe Puertas "el peregrino de La Rioja" Todos los años en Julio hacía el camino francés completo para llegar a Compostela el 25 de Julio. Año tras año durante...
Hello my name is Brenda and I am establishing a daily AA meeting 6-7 pm at Casa Anglican WhatsApp 416-8018176 for daily updates Thankyou. Buen Camino
Hello. I’m Steph from USA Arriving in pamplona May 27 2024 Is anyone arriving that destination & date so we can coordinate transportation to SJPP. TIA
Hi forum friends, I've been reading lots of posts on here to prepare for my first Camino: May 11th to 16th, central Portuguese way starting from the portuguese border to Tui Spain As a solo female...
Hello fellow peregrines, I’m Davide , a 30,yrs old Italian guy from Barcelona ! I was always fascinated by the Camino de Santiago and my eyes got lucent when a day to the pueblo español I saw...

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back