• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Portugal, Sevilla, Norte, or The "original route"?

Priscillian

Veteran Member
Time of past OR future Camino
Frances 1999, Aragones 2000, Desde Le Puy 2002, Portuguese 2009, hoping RDLP 2014
I made my first Camino on the Camino Frances, my second starting from the Camino Aragones. I have walked in France. After 10 years the Camino is calling me once again. But from where? I am older and know that that must make difference. I know I will not find the same conditions on any of the most travelled routes. I want to gain knowledge and personal experience to perhaps incorporate into a sequel to my book Pilgrimage to Heresy: I want now to look at the building of the Cathedral in the 9th and 10th centuries. But I want to find an authentic experience. I feel drawn to The Camino Portuguese in 2009. But would I be wiser to look at other routes: The Camino de La Plata, for example (I live in Andalucia)? Where, if anywhere, does the "Authentic Camino Experience" best represent itself now?
Any suggestions?
Thanks,
Tracy Saunders
http://www.pilgrimagetoheresy.com

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Tracy
I think you would find the camino frances vastly different now from 10 years ago. Each camino route has different challenges and attractions. I loved the Le Puy route with the varied scenery and passing through some of the beautiful towns of France like Conques,Cahors, Figeac etc. The Granada route was more isolated with only one other pilgrim to Merida but seeing the alhambra and cordoba were definite highlights. Having said that the via de la plata is a good compromise between being isolated and overcrowded. It was my first camino and is well marked and passes through several notable towns like Caceres and salamanca.
As for "Where, if anywhere, does the "Authentic Camino Experience" best represent itself now?" that's a can of worms and, in my opinion, some think that the most popular=the most authentic but I think you should not worry too much about it-the experience has it's own authenticity

Dear Priscillian,
You raise an interesting question: finding theauthentic experience of the pilgrim.

Well, let me give you my two cents. I followed the Via de la Plata from Sevilla to Salamanca in March 2006, then completed the journey from Salamanca to SdeC (via Orense) in July 2007.

The first leg really was wonderful. There was an adequate range of albergues and other pilgrim support in most small towns. The Extremaduran Regional government has opened a string of hostel along the way and well as placing the oddest directional cubes (yes, cubes) in addition to the traditional yellow arrows.

But depopulation has left many villages deserted and the landscape empty, so there is much time for solitary reflection.Rarely were there more than 20 pilgrims in a hostel, but this lent itself to lengthy joyous chats and plenty of mutual support. [I can still remember Kim, a wonderful Catalan nurse, tending to my tattered feet....Greater love hath no man etc]

Over the 20 days of the first stage, I got to know some wonderful pilgrims who are still good friends. Rarely were there more than 20 pilgrims in a hostel.

And the thrill of arriving at a city after a week in the country. Zafra, Merida, Salamanca are all wonderful locations to explore.

Finally, it is the changing landscape and vegetation. From the orange trees in Seville, through the olives and vines to the wheat fields of Castille-Leon. And I have to mention the all too common Black pig.

So, V de la P gets my vote.
Kind regards
Gyro

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
The "cubes" along the Via de la Plata in Extremadura are modern reproductions of the Roman mile stones or miliarios that were waymarks on the old Roman road from Merida. You probably also noticed the archeological digs along the way; the Via de la Plata is redolent with the history of Roman occupation of Spain.

Mary Pat 8)

Most read last week in this forum

Could I ask what may be naive question. This will be my 1st Camino and I will be mostly staying in alberques. Could you please explain the bathroom/shower etiquette to me? I have no idea what...
Do i need both these apps? I want to spend as little time my device as possible so if one app will do fine that’s my preference.
I was planning to document my journey through my blog (or Vlog, as I would probably take lots of videos). I was thinking of using my iPhone, and I ordered a foldable keyboard to facilitate typing...
I did the Norte in 2017. This set off a wild ride of changes in life - shifting many things. I am now at a new plateau and it feels like the right time to do Camino #2, this time the...
Hi to all, I'm looking for a really, really good place (an artist) to get a Tattoo in Santiago, it could be before Santiago but I presume in Santiago I will be ready to have my first one. The...
My daughter and I will be on the Portuguese on June and July starting in Lisbon. We will arrive in Porto about the 27th of June. We want to stay for three nights. Can we stay in an albergue for...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back