• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Portugues vs Frances for the anxious

Easily_confused

Time of past OR future Camino
Portugues (17/18)
Hola! everyone (first post)

I had been pretty set on doing the Portugues, either late this year (October/November) or early next (March/April), largely as I saw it as avoiding possible accommodation problems by taking a quieter route. Having read on this forum about the fewer number of Albergues on the Portugues coupled with a growing number of people with the same idea as myself, I'm wondering if I'd be better off taking the Frances route instead?

I'm not worried about being a lone female traveler. I'll cope with any language problems. I'll even eat octopus if there's no other option. But the prospect of not having a space to sleep at night gives me the jitters. What's my best option?

Thanks

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Hi EC
You've picked quieter months when finding accommodation shouldn't be difficult except perhaps during the holy week before Easter which next year (2018) falls in the last week of March. Generally the camino is flexible to cope with blips in demand and the quieter times you've picked should give you some headroom.
I think your plan is fine and you should stick to it, especially the Oct/Nov option and either route will work. The forum is prone to trending concerns about accommodation - what's reported here a few times doesn't necessarily reflect day-to-day life on the camino and can't really be taken as an accurate predictor of what the situation will be in 6 or 12 months' time.
As someone who has walked in high season a few times, when demand on accommodation is high, I'd still say, don't worry - in 99.9% of cases it all works out. And if for some reason (which you couldn't possibly anticipate now, 6-12 months before you leave), you arrive somewhere and there's nowhere to stay, the hospitalera/os will help you sort something out. And if that turns out to be a negative experience (actually quite often it can be a positive adventure) from there on in you can always start booking the places ahead of you.
I remember in late October on the first day out of Porto coming across a group of about 60 Portuguese pilgrims spread out along the path ahead of me and thinking gloomily that I wasn't going to find anywhere to stay that night or any night for the rest of the way to Santiago. But by the evening they'd all disappeared somewhere and I never saw them again.
Cheers, tom

Thank you, Tom. That's put my mind to rest. Now to try and decide 100% on which route since I can now discount the accommodation factor...decisions, decisions...

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I walked this from Santarem last Sept/Oct with no problems finding accommodations. Yes, sometimes some places were full, but it was never difficult to find an alternative.

I loved both the Frances and the Portugues, but must say I think the Frances is the most beautiful. When I walked it in April 2014 there were plenty of pilgrims, but no difficulties at all with accommodations, even in Easter week. I happened to be walking the Meseta at Easter week, and at that time it seemed the Meseta was not really too populated with pilgrims. I had to book a hotel in Burgos for Easter Saturday night, but it was easy to find one.

Hola! everyone (first post)

I had been pretty set on doing the Portugues, either late this year (October/November) or early next (March/April), largely as I saw it as avoiding possible accommodation

Thanks

Double check some of the places if November, October you'll be fine. In any case, more than enough beds on the CP as well as more towns with other sleeping options (than the CF).

Good luck and Bom Caminho

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!

Most read last week in this forum

I’ll be finishing the Caminho Português next month. Last year I wore Hoka Challenger 6 ATR shoes. I did have some blisters and foot pain, but a lot could have been due to the 30+km days from...
We arrived in Porto by train from Lisbon yesterday afternoon. Long haul from Australia via Singapore, Milan and Madrid departed April 23. Our first encounter with other pilgrams was when 3...
Hi everyone, I did the CF in 2022 and found the planning quite easy as there were albergues all the way so yiu can walk as much or as little as you please and there is always somewhere to stay. I...
Hello pilgrims, I have unfortunately hurt my knee(s) on the second day of walking from Porto. I pushed through some more kilometers, but I had to take a break in Marinhas. I tried everything to...
I have a new copy of the guide to Camino Portuguese by Kat (I think) XX. My question is: is there anyone who is going to Lisbon/ Porto who could pop it in the Albergue municipal/ or use it and...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back