• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Portuguese Camino

ChrisT

Time of past OR future Camino
Last 100k of the French Way Nov 2017
Porto to Santiago Sept 2018
Hi All,

I finished the Portuguese Camino, from Porto to Santiago, Central Route, on Wednesday 10th October and thought I would share a few observations in case it helps others.
Firstly it was fantastic! I thoroughly enjoyed the whole experience and would wholeheartedly recommend it to anyone who has a couple of weeks to spare. I walked it in 12 days with 1 rest day in Ponte de Lima. (11 days walking).
I pretty much followed the Brierley stages and the first 3 days are pretty long, between 30k and 35k, so I needed a rest day by day 4!
Favourite places were Barcelos, Ponte de Lima, Valenca, Pontevedra and Santiago (Obviously). All the villages / towns were nice enough but these ones stick in the memory.
I found Portugal much cheaper than Spain for the day to day things (Food, beers, coffee, wine etc). But it still wasn't expensive in Spain Even with the pound as it is right now!
It was busier from Valenca but nothing that was uncomfortable. I found it quiet from Porto. I left on the 29th September. No problems with accommodation and I stayed in a mixture of Hostels and Pensions.
The weather was great! Cool in the mornings and evening but lovely and warm during the day and didn't get wet once! I think we were luck with the weather.

Please let me know if you have plans to do it and you think I might be able to advise. I found this board a valuable resource when planning and got some great tips and advice!

Bom Caminho! Chris.

Join the Camino Cleanup in May from Ponferrada to Sarria. Registration closes Mar 22.
We have just finished the camin o frances. We have been doing it in stages and by walking leo n to sarria this October have now completed it. We are thinking what next. We found out last section busy and with too much road walking and my feet have suffered. What is the Portuguese way like in terms of paths? I also need frequent coffee stops

Hi All,

I finished the Portuguese Camino, from Porto to Santiago, Central Route, on Wednesday 10th October and thought I would share a few observations in case it helps others.
Firstly it was fantastic! I thoroughly enjoyed the whole experience and would wholeheartedly recommend it to anyone who has a couple of weeks to spare. I walked it in 12 days with 1 rest day in Ponte de Lima. (11 days walking).
I pretty much followed the Brierley stages and the first 3 days are pretty long, between 30k and 35k, so I needed a rest day by day 4!
Favourite places were Barcelos, Ponte de Lima, Valenca, Pontevedra and Santiago (Obviously). All the villages / towns were nice enough but these ones stick in the memory.
I found Portugal much cheaper than Spain for the day to day things (Food, beers, coffee, wine etc). But it still wasn't expensive in Spain Even with the pound as it is right now!
It was busier from Valenca but nothing that was uncomfortable. I found it quiet from Porto. I left on the 29th September. No problems with accommodation and I stayed in a mixture of Hostels and Pensions.
The weather was great! Cool in the mornings and evening but lovely and warm during the day and didn't get wet once! I think we were luck with the weather.

Please let me know if you have plans to do it and you think I might be able to advise. I found this board a valuable resource when planning and got some great tips and advice!

Bom Caminho! Chris.
Thanks Chris. Also likely starting the central next Saturday. Curious that most reports are from folk on the littoral. What influenced your decision to walk the central?

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Hi All,

Please let me know if you have plans to do it and you think I might be able to advise. I found this board a valuable resource when planning and got some great tips and advice!! Chris.
I'm so glad you had such a wonderful trip, Chris! You make it sound definitely worth doing. I have done the Francis split it up and did it half and half two years in a row. Now I'm wondering where to go next. I have thought about Porto to Santiago and then on to finisterra and muxia. Did you see women walking alone? Are there plenty of places to stop for coffee along the way mid-morning perhaps? Did you meet people from all over the world? Thank you for any additional information that you might impart. What's your next adventure?

Hi All,

Bom Caminho! Chris.
Forgot to ask this question, was the trail mainly off the main roads I have heard there's a lot of concrete along the way true or not?

We have just finished the camin o frances. We have been doing it in stages and by walking leo n to sarria this October have now completed it. We are thinking what next. We found out last section busy and with too much road walking and my feet have suffered. What is the Portuguese way like in terms of paths? I also need frequent coffee stops
It can be a bit tough on the feet, especially in Portugal as there are a lot of cobbled sections. There is also quite a bit of road walking. I walked in walking shoes rather than boots which worked for me. But yes - particularly in Portugal it can be tough on your feet.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Thanks Chris. Also likely starting the central next Saturday. Curious that most reports are from folk on the littoral. What influenced your decision to walk the central?
I only had a limited amount of time and I think the Central worked out to be the shortest. If I had more time I may have tried a longer route. That said, I am happy I did the Central.

I'm so glad you had such a wonderful trip, Chris! You make it sound definitely worth doing. I have done the Francis split it up and did it half and half two years in a row. Now I'm wondering where to go next. I have thought about Porto to Santiago and then on to finisterra and muxia. Did you see women walking alone? Are there plenty of places to stop for coffee along the way mid-morning perhaps? Did you meet people from all over the world? Thank you for any additional information that you might impart. What's your next adventure?
Hi Tawny, Yes, there were women who seemed to have set off on their own at least and then were walking with other people. It is well catered for along the route. There are plenty of well placed coffee shops along the way. There were people from all over the world I spoke to. Everyone was very friendly, I don't think I met another British person oddly enough. I will look at doing something next year but I have not started planning yet. I am thinking of the Ingles from Ferrol then onto Finisterra. We will see!

Forgot to ask this question, was the trail mainly off the main roads I have heard there's a lot of concrete along the way true or not?
There is some road walking but very little on busy roads. Mainly on quite roads, I didn't find it an issue.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Finished the Lisboa to Santiago caminho (via Central route) on 15th September. More road walking in the route from Lisboa to Porto than after Porto. Via Lusitania and other groups have made a lot of progress at moving the route off of busy highways and onto quieter roads and country paths. To be sure, there are still some fairly long (5k?) stretches of setts (aka cobblestones) and pavement as one approaches and transits some of the larger towns. No need for hiking boots in the nicer weather periods, just good trail shoes with a firm outer sole and good toe protection.
Met more New Zealanders and Germans than any other nationality, except in Porto, which seemed to be overrun with American students intent on partying (or, as we say, "not letting their studies interfere with their education").
After a couple of weeks to reflect on the journey, would say I still prefer the Camino Frances, but the CP is well worth the effort if you want to experience a different culture with a very rich history.

Hi All,

Bom Caminho! Chris.
I'm planning to travel from Oporto to Santiago on the interior route in mid March 2019. My accommodations are taken care of. I've planned a total of 13 days walking time. About how much cash would you think I should have per day?

Thanks for your report Chris. I leave for Portugal tomorrow evening from the states and will be starting the coastal/littoral route Thursday from Porto. I'm hoping for good weather too. Bom Caminho.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I walked Porto to SdeC along Litoral as far as we could, route joined central for a few stages and then the Variante Espiritual to Padrón, and on to Santiago. Took 13 days walking. I picked up a gastric bug so we stopped for a few days to get well.
The Litoral is beautiful, along promenade and board walk mostly and some minor roads, between coastal towns and villages. Well sign posted too. The only area where we found a lack of adequate signs was out of Vigo. Baiona is Worth a stop and the Parador do a pilgrim rate of €129 for 2 ppl B&B. The boat trip from VN de Arousa to Padrón is a must! Hostel there is excellent at €6 which includes disposable sheet and pillowcase.
Only downside - it’s the path less travelled and we didn’t find the same comeraderie as CF, and walked for days without other English speaking pilgrims. On the up-side, we didn’t encounter any ‘Camino tourists’
Buen Camino, which ever route you choose

I walked from Porto to Santiago alone. Met several other women walking alone.too. it felt fine the while time to me. A wonderful trip.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Hi All,

Bom Caminho! Chris.
Thanks for the impressions! My husband and I will be walking the Camino Portugual Coastal route in March of 2019. After all the reading I've done, I am seriously thinking of starting out on the coast but switching over to the Central route at some point if the weather is really windy and rainy consistently! It might be the way to do as I'm reading the Central has lots of lovely scenery and villages. My question is, is the walk pretty much level or is there a lot of climbing on the Central? I don't want to take my trekking poles and this might determine for me if I should. Thanks!

I walked the PC from 1st to 11th October. Having walked CF last year. Though many consider the Frances to be too busy and commercial, it is more friendly and in my opinion welcoming, as for most pilgrims it is their first Camino. I enjoyed the Portuguese for the scenery and towns. But as a solo traveller I did not find I’d as inclusive or social, I enjoy walking alone but equally I enjoy companionship and social interaction in the evenings - on the PC I found these aspects is short supply.

Made me realise why some people walk the CF exclusively .

I walked the PC from 1st to 11th October. Having walked CF last year. Though many consider the Frances to be too busy and commercial, it is more friendly and in my opinion welcoming, as for most pilgrims it is their first Camino. I enjoyed the Portuguese for the scenery and towns. But as a solo traveller I did not find I’d as inclusive or social, I enjoy walking alone but equally I enjoy companionship and social interaction in the evenings - on the PC I found these aspects is short supply.

Just what we are looking for: less people and more solitude. Thanks for sharing. It's great that there is a choice available. I'd prefer avoiding all the crowds of tourists if possible.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I'm planning to travel from Oporto to Santiago on the interior route in mid March 2019. My accommodations are taken care of. I've planned a total of 13 days walking time. About how much cash would you think I should have per day?
You can spend as little or as much as you like, it depends on where and what you eat and drink. I managed on around 50 Euro a day which included the nights accommodation. A bit more when we got to Santiago. That wasn't skimping at all. Decent meals and a few drinks in the evening. I found the nearer you got to Santiago the more you were paying. Portugal seemed very cheap to me.

Interesting you should say that as someone else I spoke to who had done the CF said the same. I had only done Sarria to Santiagia previously so don't really have anything to compare it to. I found everyone friendly enough and it did get busier after Tui. I wonder if its because there are different walking routes on the Portuguese that you don't see the same people on the same stages?

Thanks for the impressions! My husband and I will be walking the Camino Portugual Coastal route in March of 2019. After all the reading I've done, I am seriously thinking of starting out on the coast but switching over to the Central route at some point if the weather is really windy and rainy consistently! It might be the way to do as I'm reading the Central has lots of lovely scenery and villages. My question is, is the walk pretty much level or is there a lot of climbing on the Central? I don't want to take my trekking poles and this might determine for me if I should. Thanks!
The biggest hill was on around day 4, the day I left Pone De Lima. That's the only one that really sticks in my mind and that was steep. Other than that, while there were hills there was nothing too strenuous. There is a very steep downhill into Redondela. I used the Brierley guide which I like and it gives you the elevations for each stage.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I did the Central route last March. Out of Porto took the coastal to Vila do Conde its flat and goes along the Atlantic. From there cut over to Central some hills but not to serious. Leaving Ponte de Lima to Rubiales there is one long climb take your time and its fine. The rest is very scenic and I met some wonderful people from all over the world. We all had a lot of fun and good times. Like Chris says Valença, Ponte de Lima (see Che’s bar), Pontverde, and the Monastary at Hebron outside Padron (worth a stay) were my favs. Last thing it rained everyday sometimes hard and mix fo sleet when higher up. But everyone handled it well and got thru it. Oh Casa Fernanda between Barcelos and Ponte de Lima worth a stay we had big time fun. I’ll be there in March myself planning on Primitivo but if weather doesn’t cooperate I might change my mind and do Porto to Santiago Coastal then to Finisterre and Muxia. Buen Camino

I did the Central route last March. Out of Porto took the coastal to Vila do Conde its flat and goes along the Atlantic. From there cut over to Central some hills but not to serious. Leaving Ponte de Lima to Rubiales there is one long climb take your time and its fine. The rest is very scenic and I met some wonderful people from all over the world. We all had a lot of fun and good times. Like Chris says Valença, Ponte de Lima (see Che’s bar), Pontverde, and the Monastary at Hebron outside Padron (worth a stay) were my favs. Last thing it rained everyday sometimes hard and mix fo sleet when higher up. But everyone handled it well and got thru it. Oh Casa Fernanda between Barcelos and Ponte de Lima worth a stay we had big time fun. I’ll be there in March myself planning on Primitivo but if weather doesn’t cooperate I might change my mind and do Porto to Santiago Coastal then to Finisterre and Muxia. Buen Camino
Thanks so much for your input! This answered a lot of questions I had. Yes, we've decided to start on the coastal and weather-depending, move to the central. The spontaneity is part of the fun. We have no problems with changing our minds if need be. Thanks again as you are the first reply I've gotten from someone who actually has done the coastal in March!

Hi All,

Bom Caminho! Chris.
Hi Chris
How were the marking arrows along the way and where there many Hostels, Albergue. Thanks for sharing. Cheers Tony

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Hi Chris
How were the marking arrows along the way and where there many Hostels, Albergue. Thanks for sharing. Cheers Tony
Hi Tony, the way was well marked and I didn't take the wrong path any time so no issues there. Plenty of hostels and Albergue too. The route caters well for pilgrims.

I loved the Central Route as well. I also loved the Coastal/Senda Litoral. They are two entirely different experiences, except where they join in Redondela. I would recommend both for sure. If anyone needs help to decide which one to do, or do first, here is my blog with lots of valuable information. Bom Caminho! The Many Ways on the Camino Portugues.

Hi All,

Bom Caminho! Chris.

Hello - I hope to do shorter stages than the Brierley book suggests. Is this possible? Does anyone have an itinerary they could share. Really want 10 to 12 miles max per day if possible.
Thanks

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
It is certainly possible to do shorter stages than Brierley suggests. You don't say where you are starting. It may be challenging to keep it to under 12 miles max if you are starting from Lisbon. That may mean walking 12 miles on some days, then taking a taxi forward or back to the nearest village with a place to sleep, then taking a taxi the next day back to where you left off.

From Porto, here is a potential itinerary. It's not the same one I used. I had a bit higher maximum than you do. I cannot speak to the quality of the accommodations in all of the end points, but there are accommodations there. Likewise, some of these places may not have the restaurants, groceries and ATMs you will find in the more typical pilgrim resting spots but that's what you get stopping "between stages". You can stock up in the larger villages or towns as you pass through. But this does pretty much conform to your stated max of 12 miles (19.2 km) per day. This also takes you along the river out of Porto to the coast and then heads inland at Vila do Conde to Arcos, because that's what I did and I liked it.

Porto to Matosinhos
Matosinhos to Vila Chã
Vila Chã to Arcos
Arcos to Barcelinhos
Barcelinhos to Vitorino dos Piães (Casa da Fernanda)
Casa da Fernanda to Ponte de Lima
Ponte de Lima to Rubiães
Rubiães to Tui
Tui to O Porriño
O Porriño to Redondela
Redondela to Pontevedra (this one is about half a km beyond your maximum)
Pontevedra to Tivó (this is within your max but I would suggest walking the extra 2 km to Caldas de Reis)
Tivó (or Caldas de Reis) to Pontecesures
Pontecesures to O Faramello
O Faramello to Santiago

That's 15 days but it does keep you to the distance range you asked for,

Last edited:
It is certainly possible to do shorter stages than Brierley suggests. You don't say where you are starting. It may be challenging to keep it to under 12 miles max if you are starting from Lisbon. That may mean waling 12 miles on some days, then taking a taxi forward or back to the nearest village with a place to sleep, then taking a taxi the next day back to where you left off.

From Porto, here is a potential itinerary. It's not the same one I used. I had a bit higher maximum than you do. I cannot speak to the quality of the accommodations in all of the end points, but there are accommodations there. Likewise, some of these places may not have the restaurants, groceries and ATMs you will find in the more typical pilgrim resting spots but that's what you get stopping "between stages". You can stock up in the larger villages or towns as you pass through. But this does pretty much conform to your stated max of 12 miles (19.2 km) per day. This also takes you along the river out of Porto to the coast and then heads inland at Vila do Conde to Arcos, because that's what I did and I liked it.

Porto to Matosinhos
Matosinhos to Vila Chã
Vila Chã to Arcos
Arcos to Barcelinhos
Barcelinhos to Vitorino dos Piães (Casa da Fernanda)
Casa da Fernanda to Ponte de Lima
Ponte de Lima to Rubiães
Rubiães to Tui
Tui to O Porriño
O Porriño to Redondela
Redondela to Pontevedra (this one is about half a km beyond your maximum)
Pontevedra to Tivó (this is within your max but I would suggest walking the extra 2 km to Caldas de Reis)
Tivó (or Caldas de Reis) to Pontecesures
Pontecesures to O Faramello
O Faramello to Santiago

That's 15 days but it does keep you to the distance range you asked for,

Thank you for the reply, David ... I find it most helpful. Yes ... we are starting in Porto.
We are retired so time is not a problem. joann

Thank you for the reply, David ... I find it most helpful. Yes ... we are starting in Porto.
We are retired so time is not a problem. joann
I should add that, while I can't speak to the quality of accommodations at all the stops on the itinerary I shared, I can speak to Casa da Fernanda. If you end up taking the Central route north from Barcelos, I would highly recommend stopping at Casa da Fernanda. But make reservations a few days ahead. There aren't that many beds and they are in high demand.

A selection of Camino Jewellery

Most read last week in this forum

Dear people, In April, we will cycle from Seville to Santiago de Compostella on our recumbent tandem. It will be our first time cycling a camino and we are really looking forward to it. After...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back