• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Portuguese Coastal book or not book?

Spiritual Lady

Time of past OR future Camino
I have walked half the French in 2014 and would like to walk the whole this year, 2020.
Hi Fellow Caminos
My dilemma is.....do I book or not book in advance?
I am walking from the 8th August 2024. A busy and hot period but it is the only time off during school time.
If someone has walked the coastal. Did you book all in advance?
Thank you in advance

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Hi Fellow Caminos
I am walking from the 8th August 2024. A busy and hot period but it is the only time off during school time.
Thank you in advance
I have not yet walked CP but will in May. I’m in the process of booking all my nights now. After reading about the increased amount of pilgrims, especially on the coastal it just gives me peace of mind knowing where I’ll stay. It does take away the flexibility however…

Hi Angie!
It''s your Camino do what feels right for you; not what others think including me :)!

It's not a crime to book all your sleeps! (makes it a problem if your ill ;but Booking.com has free cancellation up until a couple of days or the day before arrival in some cases)

If your stressed or uncertain about it and booking them all will give you peace of mind then book!!!

I booked all mine in advance for peace of mind knowing i defo had a bed for the night.
I cant remember your time frame but adding a few more days and shortening your stages will make it a bit more expensive; but more relaxed!
Buen Camino
Woody

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Hi Fellow Caminos
Thank you in advance
You are walking in August....book in advance...I walked in April 2019 and booked in advance....it was fairly busy....buen camino!

Thank you for your replies. The consensus is book in advance. I didn't for the French but considering its August. I need to get my wise head on.
Thank you

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Hi Fellow Caminos
Thank you in advance
I have an agency booking clients... if you are doing the coastal Camino and want to stay in private hotels, etc., be mindful that many of them only do bookings for 2 nights minimum as they are more aligned with the summer tourist trade than Pilgrims. I have no idea if you want to stay in Albergues.

Hi Fellow Caminos
Thank you in advance
Hello

I walked Camino da Costa in April 2019 never booked ahead and never had a problem. That included Holy Week and I was in Vigo on Easter Sunday. I am not sure if this will help for August 2024 so I hope it helps you.

Buen Camino

Vince

We are walking the coastal at the end of May and decided to go ahead and book most nights as there are 3 of us. We have the option to cancel as several were through booking com, so are still somewhat flexible. The only place so far we have to wing it is in Armenteira, as the monastery isn't taking reservations, nor is the albergue, so we'll see how that goes.
Good luck with your planning and camino.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
A suggestion for Armentiera is Carballo de Prado. Available though booking.com, they get rave reviews.
Also, we had reservations on the coastal in 2019 as we were a group of 6. No difficulty in booking for one night only.

Hi Fellow Caminos
Thank you in advance
We walked this in 2022. We did not book far in advance not knowing how far we might walk each day. Instead, the evening before the following day, we would check the map, check Gronze, see what options there were and book a place. These days, booking.com handles more and more accommodations. We never had a problem finding a place. But...that's our way. There is no right way.

I have an agency booking clients... if you are doing the coastal Camino and want to stay in private hotels, etc., be mindful that many of them only do bookings for 2 nights minimum as they are more aligned with the summer tourist trade than Pilgrims. I have no idea if you want to stay in Albergues.
Oh gosh this I didn’t know …. I only want to stay in private accommodations because I’m bringing my 8yo daughter with me (without my hubby). We planned on only stopping in places with hotels so we could have privacy. Shit …

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Oh gosh this I didn’t know …. I only want to stay in private accommodations because I’m bringing my 8yo daughter with me (without my hubby). We planned on only stopping in places with hotels so we could have privacy. Shit …
I wouldn’t worry about this, we stayed mostly at hotels on the coastal and could always book for one night.

I booked a day or two ahead - In my opinion on the Portuguese way, when I was doing my research the lodging didn't seem as plentiful and/or convenient as on the Frances way. I prebooked for my peace of mind.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Book seriously in advance I'd say not, many pilgrims just book along the Way 1 or at most 2 days in advance and that's fine, and in many places even that is unnecessary.

A couple of the very popular places to stay can be booked months in advance, but then people frequently cancel at the last minute. At the two most popular ones -- 1) my initial spot on the floor was upgraded first to a free bed then second to a proper paid one (from last minute cancellations -- and a fellow, bicigrino, was able to just turn up and get his bed next to mine) ; 2) I just walked in and got a great bed, and a memorable stay. (BTW this was in the heart of pilgrim season)

On most of the Coastal either sleep as you go or book as you go is enough, and there are just a couple of places where some more care might be wanted from their great popularity. The one place I ended up in my sleeping bag without a bed was at Caminha, and that was a lovely & memorable stay too.

I did have a couple of hairy last-minute beds and floor space and whatnot -- but those were from not calling ahead in the morning or the day previous, as I never did. Overall really, it's much as the Francès was in the late 1990s / early 2000s as the old system was transitioning into the new one.

I’m bringing my 8yo daughter with me
In that particular circumstance, book ahead religiously -- though 3 to 5 days ahead as you go should be quite sufficient. On those few places in it where early booking isn't a thing, make sure to end that day's walking early so as to be among the first for a bed.

In that particular circumstance, book ahead religiously -- though 3 to 5 days ahead as you go should be quite sufficient. On those few places in it where early booking isn't a thing, make sure to end that day's walking early so as to be among the first for a bed.
Yes I was thinking I’d book ahead for this reason. I don’t want to add stress and screen time with me rushing around to book. I was planning on hotel or similar stays exclusively so that we could avoid having to pack bedding and so we could book ahead. I’ll actually be posting about this soon and asking for input! I’ll be going 6/3-6/20 so I assume it will be busy. Thanks for responding!

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Yes I was thinking I’d book ahead for this reason. I don’t want to add stress and screen time with me rushing around to book. I was planning on hotel or similar stays exclusively so that we could avoid having to pack bedding and so we could book ahead. I’ll actually be posting about this soon and asking for input! I’ll be going 6/3-6/20 so I assume it will be busy. Thanks for responding!
I’ve been searching the route too and looking for private rooms with bathrooms. Lots of options that aren’t necessarily hotels so you can still have the communal feel. Good luck! Check out the Camigas Facebook group too. Lots of suggestions there as well.

Hi Angie!
It''s your Camino do what feels right for you; not what others think including me :)!

It's not a crime to book all your sleeps! (makes it a problem if your ill ;but Booking.com has free cancellation up until a couple of days or the day before arrival in some cases)

If your stressed or uncertain about it and booking them all will give you peace of mind then book!!!

I booked all mine in advance for peace of mind knowing i defo had a bed for the night.
I cant remember your time frame but adding a few more days and shortening your stages will make it a bit more expensive; but more relaxed!
Buen Camino
Woody
Thanks Woody
Do you think 25k per day in August is doable without feeling wiped out? I am an average walker usually doing 10 miles here but not hammering it.
Angie

Hi Angie!
Yes it is doable; but less km's will take the pressure of getting to your bed if it's booked!
I walked every day on the Coastal in 22-25C temps averaging 20km and was happy to do it again the next day! (plenty of fluids/food and a shower on arrival woke me up)

In August it says temps may be a similar max ;but i imagine temps can go significantly higher.

Are your ten mile hikes (16 km)in the UK done in one hit or do you break up the walk?

If you defo want to do 25km stages get the bulk of it done early if you can; you know the score you've walked half the French way.
I imagine it's time constraints as well as the heat that are making you ask this question?
You could always walk a couple of 25km days and throw in a short day instead of taking a rest day; which means your still moving forward on the path.

I have shortened my stages for my first half of the Frances in May ; because on my walk from Leon in September last year i was getting over a bad leg infection!
The result was a much more enjoyable walk i had a few stages that were only about 14km; a much more enjoyable walk (stroll)🤣
Only you know what your limits are, doing a couple of long days in the UK will give you some idea if you can comfortably do it.
Buen Camino
Woody

Last edited:
Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I’ve been searching the route too and looking for private rooms with bathrooms. Lots of options that aren’t necessarily hotels so you can still have the communal feel. Good luck! Check out the Camigas Facebook group too. Lots of suggestions there as well.
Hello! Thanks for sharing that with me! I am mainly looking for BEDDING & PRIVATE rooms if that makes sense! Would the private rooms you mention still have bedding? I am nervous about missing out on all the Camino Vibes but with my little lady I just want to be private at night. Would love your thoughts on the bedding and the name of the accommodation! I am diving deep into the planning right now ... eek lol

Hi Angie!
Yes it is doable; but less km's will take the pressure of getting to your bed if it's booked!
I walked every day on the Coastal in 22-25C temps averaging 20km and was happy to do it again the next day! (plenty of fluids/food and a shower on arrival woke me up)

In August it says temps may be a similar max ;but i imagine temps can go significantly higher.

Are your ten mile hikes (16 km)in the UK done in one hit or do you break up the walk?

If you defo want to do 25km stages get the bulk of it done early if you can; you know the score you've walked half the French way.
I imagine it's time constraints as well as the heat that are making you ask this question?
You could always walk a couple of 25km days and throw in a short day instead of taking a rest day; which means your still moving forward on the path.

I have shortened my stages for my first half of the Frances in May ; because on my walk from Leon in September last year i was getting over a bad leg infection!
The result was a much more enjoyable walk i had a few stages that were only about 14km; a much more enjoyable walk (stroll)🤣
Only you know what your limits are, doing a couple of long days in the UK will give you some idea if you can comfortably do it.
Buen Camino
Woody
Thanks Woody
I am going to pack my ruc sac and practice doing long walks here. I know it will be easier here as not contending with the heat. I am trying to keep my costs down, so adding extra days if I take it easy will cost. I live by faith, so all will be well, I am sure. Thank you for replying back, I appreciate it. Angie

Hello! Thanks for sharing that with me! I am mainly looking for BEDDING & PRIVATE rooms if that makes sense! Would the private rooms you mention still have bedding? I am nervous about missing out on all the Camino Vibes but with my little lady I just want to be private at night. Would love your thoughts on the bedding and the name of the accommodation! I am diving deep into the planning right now ... eek lol
May I send you a message? I’ve only booked three places so far but would be happy to share

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.

Most read last week in this forum

Starting a journey for me starts with the planning. This year everything aligned so here I am about to leave Canada to begin my 2nd Camino - the Portuguese Coastal. With three weeks to get my...
Day 0? I’m here 😊and I start my slow coastal camino tomorrow! Feel blessed and recognize the privilege it is to be able to take this journey. Tomorrow a short walk to Matosinhos - just right...
Will be doing hopefully my first of many Camino journeys leaving out of Porto December 29. From what I can tell, highs in 50’s to 60’s F and possibly some but not a lot of moisture with no snow...
I'm planning to cross over from the Coastal to Central Camino at Caminha. I would appreciate any comments relating to this route from pilgrims that have done it. Is it better to split into two...
What a wonderful day walking by the sea! My backpack felt good, my dry bag with poncho strategically clipped to the outside was handy! My first stop was in a bakery cafe near the mouth of the...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back