• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Portuguese steep descents?

Jeanette & ted

Time of past OR future Camino
New to camino
Looking at brierleys guide it states the descent to Saxamonde on the Portuguese central route is VERY steep. This now has me quite worried! Is it tarmac, loose rubble or stones? Should I try to avoid it?

A selection of Camino Jewellery
If I remember correctly, it was a tarmac. No problem to get down anyway. Actually we ran that slope while chatting with a pretty Spanish lady. She started, we followed. And no, we were not that ugly to run away from us :) I do not have a photo from that exactly place, but I attach here from possibly similar one later after Pontevedra.
IMG_1767.JPG

Thank you. Phew that’s put my mind at ease as we’ve decided to go central route rather than coastal and I was starting to doubt our choice. Thanks again

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
I walked the central last summer. The only really hard day, ascent/descent wise was the day I walked over the Bruja mountain. It is dirt track on the mountain, and once you start up, there is nothing until the next town. I loved the central route! Well worth walking

I walked the central last summer. The only really hard day, ascent/descent wise was the day I walked over the Bruja mountain. It is dirt track on the mountain, and once you start up, there is nothing until the next town. I loved the central route! Well worth walking
Did you find that beds were generally available in the Albergues along the Central route?

Did you find that beds were generally available in the Albergues along the Central route?
I didn't have issues until after Caldas de reis. Then I couldn't find a bed because everything was booked. I ended up staying at a swanky hotel in Padron, then taking a taxi back and forth to Santiago to stay with friends there (Santiago was booked as well--I panicked at that point. I'm so thankful for friends!).

At the same time, I booked all of my stays before leaving with booking.com because I knew I was sending my pack on and I was worried about how many Albergues would be open. My issue after Caldas was because I injured myself (again--has happened on EVERY Camino for me) and had to rest a couple of weeks before finishing. I was scheduled to volunteer at the pilgrims office, so I did that, then finished my last 50km.

Most of the people I walked with only booked the night before, and we're able to find beds, though.

While I didn't stay there, I met up with friends who did and ate breakfast there, so I highly recommend staying at Casa Fernanda!!!!

Ruth

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Looking at brierleys guide it states the descent to Saxamonde on the Portuguese central route is VERY steep. This now has me quite worried! Is it tarmac, loose rubble or stones? Should I try to avoid it?
I would like to add that on steep ascents/descents, zig zag your way up or down when you can. It is easier on your knees, hips, back and legs.

I would like to add that on steep ascents/descents, zig zag your way up or down when you can. It is easier on your knees, hips, back and legs.
Exactly the way that I do it. I don't do it going uphill but I for sure downhill. I use my poles to push off of going up and the poles in front of me to take the weight off going down.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Totally dependent upon when you are walking, so take that into account when people answer. I walked “after the season” in October 2021 and had zero issues finding beds. Albergues were mostly empty, though many were shut down for the season or due to Covid.

Casa Fernanda is a must. Also, if you have the time, I would highly recommend the Variente Espiritual. La Ruta de la Piedra y del Agua was the prettiest stretch of Camino that we have walked...and it was raining! Buen Camino!

Attachments

• 890B9F8C-70E5-4FB4-A7DA-D941BFF3BCC7.jpeg
    890B9F8C-70E5-4FB4-A7DA-D941BFF3BCC7.jpeg
    3.5 MB · Views: 32
Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Casa Fernanda is a must. Also, if you have the time, I would highly recommend the Variente Espiritual. La Ruta de la Piedra y del Agua was the prettiest stretch of Camino that we have walked...and it was raining! Buen Camino!

Attachments

• B91BAE43-8701-4E87-8C1E-2E2B416BE1CF.jpeg
    B91BAE43-8701-4E87-8C1E-2E2B416BE1CF.jpeg
    242.2 KB · Views: 24
  • 101BE709-8CC3-4924-BB5E-E3FEBE2131A1.jpeg
    101BE709-8CC3-4924-BB5E-E3FEBE2131A1.jpeg
    401.4 KB · Views: 14
  • 181F5DA3-FEC8-487B-B4E2-00295BC68C5F.jpeg
    181F5DA3-FEC8-487B-B4E2-00295BC68C5F.jpeg
    4.1 MB · Views: 14
  • 5DE8DBEB-1DE7-4108-AC99-E1F420A7184A.jpeg
    5DE8DBEB-1DE7-4108-AC99-E1F420A7184A.jpeg
    103.4 KB · Views: 21
The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Steep descents and unexpected wide & deep mud puddles are where walking sticks become handy. And there are never any undomesticated ones to be found in nearby woods when you need them.

Thank you. Love the pic 👍. Having walked regularly in the Lake District and completed the Camino Francis (albeit a few years ago) I’m sure I can handle that descent. We once drove through Portugal and the dreaded cobblestones literally shook our wing mirror loose. I’ll be wearing sturdy footwear and definitely taking my poles.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!

Most read last week in this forum

I have a new copy of the guide to Camino Portuguese by Kat (I think) XX. My question is: is there anyone who is going to Lisbon/ Porto who could pop it in the Albergue municipal/ or use it and...
Barcelos was having a huge May 1 celebration when we passed through. There was a major unveiling of a sculpture titled Peregrina the following day—very big event. We weren’t there, so I lifted a...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back