• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Pre pack dry run

Time of past OR future Camino
Hopefully leave the states 2nd week of April 2014, Right now i am lost in my existence of living my life and need a cleansing before making my move to Cambodia
Ok folks getting ready for the long walk. Just kinda like to get any feedback anyone is willing to give on where im at , like leaving or adding items. I will be doing a bit of camping some thing like 50% of the time and doing some exploring also. Im 6' 216lbs male and my total pack with food and water will average about 25 to 28 lbs deping alot on weather as im sure i will donate clothing along THE WAY.

rain gearfrogg toggs320 CLOTHES
hammockthe travel hammock 362 2pants
pillowkelty 260 2shorts
towelsea to summit 248 6p socks
water pufifiersteri-pen 125 5undies
sleep bagmarmot nanowave45 905 oxford fleeced lined wind breaker
solar chargergoal zero nomad7 618 flipflops
tarpoutdoor products asolo boots
stovebluet solid fuel 500 vasque trail
cooking GSI-all spices utensils -500 columbia fleece
lightsUCO bat&candle 600 7lbs, 3175g
miscBinos,knife,mace sharpner 600
killer 1staideverything and more 250
toiletries everything and more 525
polesblack diamond 555
backpackREI flash65 1360
sleep padThermarest 1040

Last edited:
Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Ditch the first aid kit, Spain has excellent Farmacias in most towns with excellent OTC meds that you'd need a prescription for in the US.
Ditch the water purification kit, plenty of water fountains, Spain is not a third world country.
Mace? Really? find out what the laws are regarding incapacitating sprays.

6 pairs of socks? 5 undies? Are you planning not to wash?

3 pairs of socks and 2 sets of undies. Wash them each day.

What on earth do you want mace for? Seasoning your food? I second the comments about water purifier and pharmacy supplies. You are not camping in the wilds; it is usually less than 10 kilometres from cafe to cafe (or bar to bar).

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
There are worse things then carrying a couple of bandages and a few aspirin. You may not need an emergency ward but the weight of a few bandages etc isn't that great.

What is a UCO bat??

His mace needs a sharpener. I'm guessing it's one of those club things and not chemicals. :p

Pepper spray is what you want. I think. I have read on here about people getting robbed on the camino. Which is not right but does happen. however you should be able to protect yourself from harm though. Just my two cents.

Pepper spray is what you want. I think. I have read on here about people getting robbed on the camino. Which is not right but does happen. however you should be able to protect yourself from harm though. Just my two cents.
Scott, thousands and thousands and thousands of pilgrims walk the Camino every year. How many have been robbed? A handful.
I'm an elderly woman who often walks alone. On the Camino in Spain and France I do not feel the slightest need to "protect" myself.
It is fear that drives nations into arms races. It is fear that drives some nations into off-the-planet gun homicide rates.
The greatest fear is fear itself.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Guys I have not yet walked my first Camino will do so this Sept. I am with Kanga about the fear factor. I have been reading about the Camino on this forum for a year more or less and have not read about anyone being assaulted. I think the mace or pepper spray could come in handy for the stray dogs. There could be a problem with them. Part of the Camino is trusting in God to provide. He will if you allow him to do so.
Buen Camino

Could be triple purpose aid here, against robbers, against nuisance pilgrims and against dogs. Elderly pilgrims and sleeping dogs well they could be exempt.
You only need one robber, one dog and one nuisance pilgrim.
However let sleeping dogs lie or lay.

Guys I have not yet walked my first Camino will do so this Sept. I am with Kanga about the fear factor. I have been reading about the Camino on this forum for a year more or less and have not read about anyone being assaulted. I think the mace or pepper spray could come in handy for the stray dogs. There could be a problem with them. Part of the Camino is trusting in God to provide. He will if you allow him to do so.
Buen Camino
Fear does not even exist on the Camino but is it not wise to have a little protection.
Knowing my luck what about the day the dog trusts in God and it bites me in b_m. We are all supposed to be Gods creatures without discrimination.

Enjoy you first Camino and you will, trust me get bitten & smitten along the way. Returning another year for you second.

Buen Camino Keith.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
You probably can make out with fewer changes of underwear and socks. One or two day's supply of medicine/first aid should suffice (and provide opportunity to discover the pharmacias in Spain -- look for the green illuminated cross over the storefront). Your poles should help keep dogs (and other troublesome animals) at a safe distance.

Regarding personal safety on the camino, I never felt unsafe or in an unsafe place between St. Jean and Finisterre -- even while walking dark streets at night in small towns and large cities. I wish I could say the same about many of the places I work and travel in the USA (citizen and resident) and other countries.

Last edited:
If I read your post right, you list two pair of pants and two pair of shorts. Consider getting two pair of zip off pants (you know - the legs are zipped off the pants to become shorts). If the pants are the same brand, you can leave one set of legs at home to save weight. Buen Camino

I'd leave the solar charger at home as well. You won't drain the batteries on your Steri-pen unless you go out of your way to avoid water fountains. A set of spare batteries for your light should probably suffice, and batteries are easily available along the way. If you have other USB rechargables, take a lightweight charger and US (two spade) to Spanish (two pole) adapter.

I hammock a lot, and if memory serves, you may need to be prepared to go to ground part of the time --- thus some form of ground cloth.

Guides that will let you complete the journey your way.
Also, a fleece-lined windbreaker AND a separate fleece is overkill. Get yourself a lightweight (4oz or less) windbreaker with DWR (I'm a fan of Houdini, but lots of other good options out there). I hiked last summer with multiple days in rain where the temp didn't get over about 40 degrees Farenheit. All I wore was my Houdini, a Columbia backpacking shirt, a merino tee shirt, zip-off backpacking pants, and a merino stocking cap (I wish I had brought my merino glove liners, though!), and I was fine. I used a GoLite umbrella rather than actual rain gear because I would have sweat those out, and I didn't need any fleece (though it would have been nice to have during stops when my exertion levels dropped).

As to your Frog Toggs, I'm not convinced you need the pants. Your backpacking pants are probably fine. I just used standard Columbia backpacking pants and was fine, even in the cold (<40F) weather. I brought merino leggings for warmth, but didn't need them except one night where is was colder than my thin quilt (I used my lightest hammock quilt in place of a sleeping bag or liner) was rated.

If camping, then maybe the extra stuff you're carrying is justified (partly, it's good to go with what you know and what you know how to use), and maybe that New Mexico blood is a bit thin compared to us Coloradans . . . :)

Buen Camino

The barking dogs were behind fences or gates, the sleeping ones kept sleeping while I detoured around them, and the friendly ones wagged their tails and wanted to be petted! I did take a small solar charger, though, and was glad several times that I did - especially useful if you're planning to camp I would think.

Also, a fleece-lined windbreaker AND a separate fleece is overkill. Get yourself a lightweight (4oz or less) windbreaker with DWR (I'm a fan of Houdini, but lots of other good options out there). I hiked last summer with multiple days in rain where the temp didn't get over about 40 degrees Farenheit. All I wore was my Houdini, a Columbia backpacking shirt, a merino tee shirt, zip-off backpacking pants, and a merino stocking cap (I wish I had brought my merino glove liners, though!), and I was fine. I used a GoLite umbrella rather than actual rain gear because I would have sweat those out, and I didn't need any fleece (though it would have been nice to have during stops when my exertion levels dropped).

As to your Frog Toggs, I'm not convinced you need the pants. Your backpacking pants are probably fine. I just used standard Columbia backpacking pants and was fine, even in the cold (<40F) weather. I brought merino leggings for warmth, but didn't need them except one night where is was colder than my thin quilt (I used my lightest hammock quilt in place of a sleeping bag or liner) was rated.

If camping, then maybe the extra stuff you're carrying is justified (partly, it's good to go with what you know and what you know how to use), and maybe that New Mexico blood is a bit thin compared to us Coloradans . . . :)
Hey Koilife!
When did you do your Camino? Your clothes list looks similar to mine. I am going end of May to first of July this year.
Thanks from a fellow Coloradian!
Rosemary

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Scott, thousands and thousands and thousands of pilgrims walk the Camino every year. How many have been robbed? A handful.
I'm an elderly woman who often walks alone. On the Camino in Spain and France I do not feel the slightest need to "protect" myself.
It is fear that drives nations into arms races. It is fear that drives some nations into off-the-planet gun homicide rates.
The greatest fear is fear itself.

Kanga:

You are NOT elderly. You are mature. Get with the program woman! ;)

BTW - I use my hiking poles to fend off anyone or anything undesirable...or at least that is the plan. I did not meet anyone undesirable on my Camino last year. Even the dogs were too lazy to trouble with me.

Now, dodging "cow pies" that is another hazard entirely...:eek:

Jeffrey:

Take half the gear and twice the money. You can pick up what you truly need along the way. Last year I started from St. Jean humping about 30 pounds. At Pamplona, I shipped 5 pounds down to Santiago. At Burgos, another 4 pounds went that-a-way. By the the time I unpacked at my hotel at Santiago 35-days later, I identified another 2 - 3 pounds I did not use.

This year, I replaced as much as possible with the lightest item available that would do the job. I removed from the list anything that was a single-use-only item. Everything has to be usable for two or more functions that are likely to occur. I adopted the 3-day clothing rule. Wear one, dry one, and have a dry set. You need to do hand wash every day. But the weight benefit is worth it. That alone saved 1.5 pounds. I lost a polo shirt, boxers, and two pair of socks.

My goal is to come in at no more than the 10 kg mythical limit, not including water.

Also, I bought a digital scale at my local Target that weighs in grams or ounces. I've taken to weighing EVERYTHING that I am even considering putting in the rucksack or in a pocket. Weight is the enemy. I maintain an Excel spreadsheet. Each time I consider or reconsider an item, it gets weighed...period.

I hope this helps.

Hey Koilife!
When did you do your Camino? Your clothes list looks similar to mine. I am going end of May to first of July this year.
Thanks from a fellow Coloradian!
Rosemary
Exact same time of year as you (Memorial Day to 1st of July), 2013. PM me and maybe we can catch a coffee some time, and compare notes. I'm curious if you're a member of the local chapter of the American Pilgrims.

Also, I bought a digital scale at my local Target that weighs in grams or ounces. I've taken to weighing EVERYTHING that I am even considering putting in the rucksack or in a pocket. Weight is the enemy. I maintain an Excel spreadsheet. Each time I consider or reconsider an item, it gets weighed...period.

I hope this helps.

Man! I am glad to know that I'm not the only on that has been weighing everything! my traveling companion thinks I'm nuts. Let's see who laughing when my ack is lighter than her

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Man! I am glad to know that I'm not the only on that has been weighing everything! my traveling companion thinks I'm nuts. Let's see who laughing when my ack is lighter than her

Last year, I just winged it. I assumed it would not matter. WEIGHT MATTERS! All those pesky single digit and double digit gram and ounce counts do add up faster than you think.

Here is a good process for reducing carry weight reasonably.
  1. Lay everything out that you think you are going to place in your rucksack or in your pockets - on a bed, a flat section of floor - whatever.
  2. Then "eye-ball" everything, examining each item to see if there is anything you can do to shave the weight even a gram.
  3. Remove packaging and even stuff sacks where possible.
  4. Use rubber bands to hold something rolled.
  5. Combine like items in to a single, larger stuff sack, or ziploc bag. Fewer sacks = less weight.
  6. Plan to carry multiple smaller volume water bottles (500 ml seems to be the "sweet spot." You can shift multiple bottles about your person to distribute weight better.
  7. Once you complete the hands-on, eye-ball test, WEIGH EVERYTHING using a digital food or postal scale. Make a list of items and weights.
  8. Evaluate your results with a view towards taking less of an item that can be bought / replenished enroute, eliminating something that only has one possible use (everything should be multi-use), or thoughtfully reconsider the likelihood that you will actually "need" something you were planning to "need." This later category might include:
    • Protective devices / weapons - pepper spray, mace, brass knuckles, baseball bats, long knives, batons, samurai swords, etc. Spain is far safer than a big city in the US - at night. If you are carrying hiking poles or a pilgrim staff this is better at fending off any attack anyway. Besides, it AIN'T GONNA HAPPEN...chill folks...:confused:
    • Water bladder - mine weighed 11 ounces when empty - sold it after my first Camino. Use free 500 ml bottles instead. I carry 4: electrolyte fruit drink (1), instant coffee (1), plain water (2). I carry electrolyte tabs for me or anyone else who needs a pickup during the day. Drop in a 500 ml bottle of plain water, shake and drink.
    • Water purification systems - too heavy. If you are neurotic about this bring tablets. Potable water is not a issue, except maybe for 1-2 days west of Carrion de los Condes.
    • Tent, tarp tent, ground sheet, stake out lines, stakes etc. Only take this stuff if you PLAN to camp out. Otherwise, it is dead weight. N.B. I choose to carry an SOL "Escape" bivvy sack as my ONE just-in-case item. But I do so more for a first aid event for an injured pilgrim rather than the outside chance I may have to bivvy overnight.
    • Cooking gear, camp stoves, etc. - NOT needed. Bring a spork, Opinel or Swiss Army knife, and MAYBE a camping mug - max. Some folks swear by having an immersion heater so they can brew a cuppa in the morning. I "go commando," putting Nescafe or Starbucks (if I have any) instant coffee singles into hot water from the tap in one of my water bottles. DO NOT forget a cork screw if you drink wine - you WILL need that item...;)
    • More than 3 changes of underwear / lingerie, socks, and shirt. Everyone is different, but if you do wash your shirt, socks and undies every day, three sets is more than enough. Some folks cut that to two.:eek: Last year, there was even a small group of folks who were running the Camino. Their entire kit was: standard loose nylon running shorts, a shirt, a hat, shoes and socks, one small fanny pack with one change of socks and a wind shirt, two small water bottles and one Buff. The Buff sufficed as headgear, and personal towel. THAT WAS IT! I have heard of "going commando" but that was ridiculous.
    • All paper books other than one Camino guide. Even most of these books are too heavy. But they are usually worth the schlep. If you use a smart phone or small tablet, iPod Touch, etc. get e-books. Some folks keep daily journals. That is fine and a god thing. Just be aware there is always a weight trade-off.
    • Arrange all your electronics so you only need one charger, one cable, and one plug adapter. My iPod Touch uses the Apple Lightning connector and my mobile uses a micro-USB connector. I found a lightweight micro-USB cord that uses a standard 5W Apple charger and a Apple Lightning to micro-USB converter. The charger, adapter plug, cable and lightning adapter weigh a total of only 61 grams or 2.2 ounces in a ziploc bag!
    • Extra shoes - unless you have a very unique situation, most folks wear their hiking boots all day, then switch to flip-flops, Crocs, or lightweight casual sandals. Ideally this spare pair should be able to wear into and from a shower. Anything heavier is a waste. Last year, I had boots, sandals and flip-flops. The flip flops weighed 11 ounces. This year, they are OUT. Consider that most if not all albergues make you park your hiking boots at the front reception. You will need "something" else to walk about inside.
Clearly, I could go on and on. But you get the idea. Carry on...;)

NOTE: There are some extreme pilgrims who cut toothbrush handles and remove clothing labels in an almost neurotic zeal to eliminated every last gram of "dead weight." I am not in this camp.

I hope this helps.

Last edited:
After walking a few thousand miles over the years i am going to take this opportunity to dispense with the tent and cooking stuff. I am aiming for 10lbs in 40 Lt bag - will take a flask for hot water, fork and plate, one change of clothes, a cape for the rain, one fleece, sheet sleeping bag, pillow case, water purification tablets, sun Block, hat, small first aid kit, phone and small pad computer, charger, adaptor, water flask 1 lt, guide book and wallet. That will be absalute bliss compared with the 30 kg load that I started off with in Perth walking the Bibbulmun track:-D

Kanga:

You are NOT elderly. You are mature. Get with the program woman! ;)

BTW - I use my hiking poles to fend off anyone or anything undesirable...or at least that is the plan. I did not meet anyone undesirable on my Camino last year. Even the dogs were too lazy to trouble with me.

Now, dodging "cow pies" that is another hazard entirely...:eek:

Jeffrey:

Take half the gear and twice the money. You can pick up what you truly need along the way. Last year I started from St. Jean humping about 30 pounds. At Pamplona, I shipped 5 pounds down to Santiago. At Burgos, another 4 pounds went that-a-way. By the the time I unpacked at my hotel at Santiago 35-days later, I identified another 2 - 3 pounds I did not use.

This year, I replaced as much as possible with the lightest item available that would do the job. I removed from the list anything that was a single-use-only item. Everything has to be usable for two or more functions that are likely to occur. I adopted the 3-day clothing rule. Wear one, dry one, and have a dry set. You need to do hand wash every day. But the weight benefit is worth it. That alone saved 1.5 pounds. I lost a polo shirt, boxers, and two pair of socks.

My goal is to come in at no more than the 10 kg mythical limit, not including water.

I hope this helps.
I met a funny guy on the Frances in October. He knew the weight of everything in his pack including stuff he bought along the way. I asked how and he said he had a scale. I asked him how much it weighed and he didn't know. I said he should buy another scale so they could weigh each other. It took a second for him to realize I was joking.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
If you are on the camino, you will not need to purify the water.

Jeffrey, you're a pretty big guy, and a 28 lb pack may not seem too heavy to you, but be warned: your feet take quite a pounding in the day after day after day walking the Camino involves and every ounce adds to that. Any weight reductions you can accomplish will reduce the chance of getting blisters and your feet will appreciate it.

I reduced my pack to about 18 lbs (without water) and then lost the weight of my pack off my body weight before I did the Camino last year, and it really helped.

Karl

Jeffrey, you're a pretty big guy, and a 28 lb pack may not seem too heavy to you, but be warned: your feet take quite a pounding in the day after day after day walking the Camino involves and every ounce adds to that. Any weight reductions you can accomplish will reduce the chance of getting blisters and your feet will appreciate it.

I reduced my pack to about 18 lbs (without water) and then lost the weight of my pack off my body weight before I did the Camino last year, and it really helped.

Karl
Hi Jeff,
Why are members getting paranoid about the weight that other people carry. You are an adult and should know was you are happy with. My pack is usually around 15 - 16 Kilos, I am happy with that but I don't expect others to carry it. At least nobody in going to run off with it, walk off with it but not run.
ITS YOUR CAMINO AND YOURS ALONE, MANY MAY WALK WITH YOU, BUT NO ONE CAN WALK FOR YOU.................................

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
After walking a few thousand miles over the years i am going to take this opportunity to dispense with the tent and cooking stuff. I am aiming for 10lbs in 40 Lt bag - will take a flask for hot water, fork and plate, one change of clothes, a cape for the rain, one fleece, sheet sleeping bag, pillow case, water purification tablets, sun Block, hat, small first aid kit, phone and small pad computer, charger, adaptor, water flask 1 lt, guide book and wallet. That will be absalute bliss compared with the 30 kg load that I started off with in Perth walking the Bibbulmun track:-D

Bless you if you can manage only 10 pounds (@ 5 kilos). Anything south of 25 pounds is light for me. I am aiming for 20 (before water), just for yucks... Adding the two liters of water (4 x 500ml bottles) would bring me up to the magical 10 kg - 22 pound threshold. We will see what we will see...

So there are plenty of places to sleep? I am just worried about not making it to the next alberque is all. I haven't done it yet and I do hear about people bringing a tent and some people dont.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
So there are plenty of places to sleep? I am just worried about not making it to the next alberque is all. I haven't done it yet and I do hear about people bringing a tent and some people dont.

Three points bear here:
  • You must have faith.
  • The Camino provides...
  • St. James works in strange ways...sometimes REALLY strange ways...
All of this together means that we just go with the flow. A bed always materializes. The reported instances of people being compelled to sleep "rough" as our UK friends refer to sleeping under the stars are, for the most part anecdotal. There is a small percentage of pilgrims who prefer to sleep under the stars on occasion. This is their Camino and it is not my place to make a judgement. Just know there is a significant weight penalty involved.

Another viable alternative to albergues, both public and private, are private pensions or hostals. The former are like B&Bs - you are in someone's home. The latter is a small, clean and serviceable private hotel with a private bath.

Personally, I favor hostals as: (a) I am told I snore:eek:; and (b) at age 60, having a private room has a quality all its own;). These private rooms can run from Euro 25 to 50 and up per night, including a very light breakfast.

That said, I will sometimes offer to share a double with a fellow pilgrim to mitigate costs. Also, if I find myself with sole use of a real bathtub (it is embarrassing when other folks are praying there is hot water left in the shared showers at an albergue), I generally offer the ladies free use - with me somewhere else at the time. After a week or more of shared showers, some folks enjoy a good soak. I understand this. It is all part of my sharing and giving back.

There are a few albergues I try to stay at for the sheer pleasure and camaraderie available. In particular, I stay at the albergues at Orisson and Roncesvalles the first two nights out to form my Camino Family for the month. After that, the "peloton" of walkers tends to spread out anyway as everyone has their own pace. From the first few days, the pattern of seeing the folks you started with is like leap frog all the way to Santiago.

I hope this helps.

If you're aiming for 10 lbs. and carrying a minimal amount, why a 40L pack? I revised my packing list from last year and got it to fit in a 30L pack with with plenty of room for food.

Ok folks getting ready for the long walk. Just kinda like to get any feedback anyone is willing to give on where im at , like leaving or adding items. I will be doing a bit of camping some thing like 50% of the time and doing some exploring also. Im 6' 216lbs male and my total pack with food and water will average about 25 to 28 lbs deping alot on weather as im sure i will donate clothing along THE WAY.

rain gearfrogg toggs320 CLOTHES
hammockthe travel hammock 362 2pants
pillowkelty 260 2shorts
towelsea to summit 248 6p socks
water pufifiersteri-pen 125 5undies
sleep bagmarmot nanowave45 905 oxford fleeced lined wind breaker
solar chargergoal zero nomad7 618 flipflops
tarpoutdoor products asolo boots
stovebluet solid fuel 500 vasque trail
cooking GSI-all spices utensils -500 columbia fleece
lightsUCO bat&candle 600 7lbs, 3175g
miscBinos,knife,mace sharpner 600
killer 1staideverything and more 250
toiletries everything and more 525
polesblack diamond 555
backpackREI flash65 1360
sleep padThermarest 1040

Jeffrey:

Bring whatever you think you need. Within a week you will know what is necessary.

My first walk I carried 24 lbs. This year I am just under 15 lbs.

Other Pilgrims will benefit from your donations.

Ultreya,
Joe

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Three points bear here:
  • You must have faith.
  • The Camino provides...
  • St. James works in strange ways...sometimes REALLY strange ways...
All of this together means that we just go with the flow. A bed always materializes. The reported instances of people being compelled to sleep "rough" as our UK friends refer to sleeping under the stars are, for the most part anecdotal. There is a small percentage of pilgrims who prefer to sleep under the stars on occasion. This is their Camino and it is not my place to make a judgement. Just know there is a significant weight penalty involved.

Another viable alternative to albergues, both public and private, are private pensions or hostals. The former are like B&Bs - you are in someone's home. The latter is a small, clean and serviceable private hotel with a private bath.

Personally, I favor hostals as: (a) I am told I snore:eek:; and (b) at age 60, having a private room has a quality all its own;). These private rooms can run from Euro 25 to 50 and up per night, including a very light breakfast.

That said, I will sometimes offer to share a double with a fellow pilgrim to mitigate costs. Also, if I find myself with sole use of a real bathtub (it is embarrassing when other folks are praying there is hot water left in the shared showers at an albergue), I generally offer the ladies free use - with me somewhere else at the time. After a week or more of shared showers, some folks enjoy a good soak. I understand this. It is all part of my sharing and giving back.

There are a few albergues I try to stay at for the sheer pleasure and camaraderie available. In particular, I stay at the albergues at Orisson and Roncesvalles the first two nights out to form my Camino Family for the month. After that, the "peloton" of walkers tends to spread out anyway as everyone has their own pace. From the first few days, the pattern of seeing the folks you started with is like leap frog all the way to Santiago.

I hope this helps.
Thank you. Cleared a lot for me.

Most read last week in this forum

I’ve been stressing about charging my devices, so just want to make sure. I have this 4port Powered USB hub which I’m connecting to an adapter to fit European (at least Spain, since I know it...
**Update** I reached out to the developer and a fix is in! unistalled the app again, and reinstalled the new updated version, and it works like a charm again! Hi! I am 15 days out from my...
So I have heard common wisdom is to bring a silk liner for your Camino (+/- a sleeping bag depending on your preference and season). Specifically regarding silk liners, all of the ones I've...
Greetings Fellow Pilgrims! I have more than a month to go until I leave on my first Camino, but couldn't resist getting my pack together already this weekend. My full backpack (Deuter 30 L) is...
I had bought the long Camino banner-style map in Santiago and finally got around to having it framed. The framers managed to tear my map and I'm in need of a replacement. Does anyone know where...
Hi Guys This is just for info really; but if mods want to they can delete! For this May's Camino i have gone back to my Talon 33 (so much less stuff this time; in fact everything is in the top...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.