• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Size of dry bags

ejg1890

Time of past OR future Camino
Sept-Oct 2023
Hello,

coming again requesting information from experienced pilgrims/hikers. I have purchased a Zulu 30L bag. The plan is to have items packed into multiple smaller dry bags, such as cloths, bathroom articles, medication, first aide kit, sleeping bag into separate dry bags rather than 1 large 30 L dry bag. Curious have many people used multiple dry bags? If so, what size dry bags did you used? How many?
thanks

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I used one for my clothes, and another one for my lightweight sleeping bag. That's about all I carried, other than a small plastic bag for my toiletries.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I use a 13 liter for my clothes and I can sit on it. Press the air out to make it more
flat. I also use the same size for my CPAP, and a plastic ziplock bag for toiletries. My sleeping bag has its own compression bag.

€83,-
I used a 10L compressible sil bag for my clothes. I had a couple 2L bags for stuff - one for socks, one for hat/gloves/sunglasses, one for medications, etc. then I had two 1L mesh bags for toiletries.

I used 4 meshbags in different sizes (1,5l to 4l) on my first Camino.
I bought 2 drybags (1,5l and 3,5l) for crossing the Alps in 2021.

Both systems will come with me on my CP this July. The meshbags will hold items that can get wet (clothing, accessories, toiletries), the drybags will hold clothing, silk liner and technical stuff.

If you have a backpack with a single compartment (like mine), the bags will help you organize your stuff.

HTH

I use one for my night requirements (sleep sack, pajamas, pills and other), one for dirty clothes that need washing, one for clean clothes (undies and shirt), one for clean socks, one for clean trousers (too big for undies bag) and one spare (that gets used for carrying stuff).

A selection of Camino Jewellery
I use clear plastic compression bags. The large size holds shirts and 1 pair of long pants (weather permitting I prefer to walk in shorts) and a pair of nylon fishing shorts to be used if I find a place to swim or if I don't have a chance to wash the other clothes. A medium sized bag holds briefs and socks. They compress, roll up, weigh almost nothing, and are cheap. I try to take an extra large one in case one breaks or to compress dirty clothes until I can wash them. If you get something like these, try to see how the plastic zip tab is set up. The tab swill slide off at some point. The old style ones had a tiny tab in the middle that would open the bag as you slid it across a closed bag. Those were next to impossible to get the bab back on correctly. The newer style eliminates the tab so you have to open the bags like a regular baggie. After having my non bagged things get wet during a torrential downpour in Portugal, I realized that pack covers do not offer complete protection. I have gotten a non compression plastic bab to holda small sleeping bag and a sleeping bag liner.

Hello,

coming again requesting information from experienced pilgrims/hikers. I have purchased a Zulu 30L bag. The plan is to have items packed into multiple smaller dry bags, such as cloths, bathroom articles, medication, first aide kit, sleeping bag into separate dry bags rather than 1 large 30 L dry bag. Curious have many people used multiple dry bags? If so, what size dry bags did you used? How many?
thanks
Most folks use zip lock bags. They are lightweight, cheap, replaceable, and see through. I recommend the storage grade thickness.

As you will not be fording rivers you do not need full-on dry bags. Also, if you use a pack cover - preferably in a neon color for road walking safety - a dry bag inside your rucksack would be overkill.

Hope this helps.

Tom

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Hello,

thanks
Hi,

I’m used one fur clean clothes / one for dirty that doubled as a washing machine / small one for electricals plus one for waterproofs. Tgd dry clothes one was biggest at 5 litre

I used clear ziplock freezer bags. When packing in the morning I could easily see that I had everything that was supposed to be in the bag. I didn't lose anything in over two months of walking and the bags held up for the entire trip.
Sounds very useful Rick but do the bags rustle when you are packing up in the morning?

Sounds very useful Rick but do the bags rustle when you are packing up in the morning?
Not too badly. Didn't really pay much attention because on Camino Francés we left late and on Camino Catalan I was usually the only one in the albergues. It is cheap enough to get a ziplock bag to experiment with before you go.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Not too badly. Didn't really pay much attention because on Camino Francés we left late and on Camino Catalan I was usually the only one in the albergues. It is cheap enough to get a ziplock bag to experiment with before you go.
I did consider these bags before I left on my current trip and even bought some but when the time came to decide if transparency trumps less weight then less weight won.

For the first couple of days I did miss being able to see the contents of my various bags without opening them but after that I got into a groove of using the same bag for the same purpose (and they are all different colours) and found that I didn't need to look into the bag to know what was in there and a quick feel soon told me how many pairs of clean undies I have left.

BTW the transparent bags probably crinkle about as much as my super lite weight dry bags and so probably even on that score.

I suspect but this is unproven that my dry bags resist tearing and holes better but then the transparent bags are a lot cheaper and I could afford to buy several boxes of them for the price that I pay for my dry bags.

I got these below (for when I make my pilgrimage). I have already packed and use for while I train with the pack loaded. I used the 4 small sizes for clothes and stuff, the large one I planned for dirty clothes and to wash clothes. Also the compression sack for the sleeping bag since it is down and I want it to stay dry. I have also packed ziplocks, but gallon is the largest I have packed.

5 pack assorted sizes $29
1689260338038.png
Compression Dry Sack, Sleeping Bag Dry Bag
1689260302960.png

I actually used the littleTSA approved toiletry bags - I can zip an entire outfit in there-I liked this as it kept my dirty smelly clothes away from the clean ones, I also had an easy access bag for the airport and used it on the Camino with my daily stuff I might need along the way. I don't think it added weight and it helped keep my things organized. The brand I posted was just slightly larger than a brand I previously used and I prefer it- was big enough for my husbands clothes and has double zippers to pack it in.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
I loved my set of three Six Moon Design compression bags (7, 2 and 1/2 liter) in 3 different colors. I used the larger one for my clothes, the medium one for my first aid supplies and the small one for my electronic cables. Having the separate bag for my cords and leaving it out till I had put my cables back in in the morning kept me from leaving any behind.

I had a separate ultralight toiletry bag and compression sack for my sleeping bag. Everything went into a larger clear backpack liner bag (30 liter, I think) to help keep things dry. Even though I had a lightweight backpack cover, I liked having the liner as well.

I also had a 5 or 8 liter ultra sil Sea to Summit dry bag that I used to store/hand wash my dirty clothes in. That came in handy! I just hung it out with my laundry to Dry and I was set to go!

I line my pack with a sturdy white trash compactor bag. Inside I use two smallish laundry mesh bags. They make no noise and you can see what is inside. In addition, my lightweight sleeping bag goes in a one gallon ziplock bag. Toiletries are in a small toiletry bag.

Hello,

thanks
I like 1 bag for my clothes, 1 for my sleeping bag, and 1 for my toiletries, and other items (with some of those items divided into zip lock bags). You'll have to figure out what size bags you need based on what you are bringing. I always get lightweight dry bags. I would definitely consider a lightweight, dry, compression bag for you clothes. If you take more than just a liner, consider a compression bag for that too.
Your clothing bag can also be used for a pillow, when needed (some of the pillows are extremely flat).

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-

Most read last week in this forum

I realize every ounce matters when carrying backpack and not shipping luggage ahead. However, I know that the Spaniards are big into meat and potatoes, and not so much produce. I am thinking of...
Hola, I gearing up to start my 1st CdS and have seen people recommended sleeping bag liners to protect against bed bugs. Do these help or is it a myth? Should I add the extra weight of bringing one?
I’ve been stressing about charging my devices, so just want to make sure. I have this 4port Powered USB hub which I’m connecting to an adapter to fit European (at least Spain, since I know it...
So I have heard common wisdom is to bring a silk liner for your Camino (+/- a sleeping bag depending on your preference and season). Specifically regarding silk liners, all of the ones I've...
Michael @wisepilgrim had mentioned a new feature that he was developing for Wise Pilgrim, and it looks like it is now in operation. You can check the app and see in real time how many beds are...
Hi! I am 15 days out from my Camino, and suddenly my Buen Camino app is crashing every time I try to look at my stages! I have rebooted my phone, done the "restore app" within the app, rebooted...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.