• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Pack Cover Failure

WayWalker

Time of past OR future Camino
2013, 2016
Does anyone have any experience with getting a custom rain cover for an Osprey pack? After 4 different caminos I am now grappling with using my rain suit which I prefer vs a poncho because my pack cover has failed miserably, as in filling up with water at the bottom no matter how much I cinch it. Just seems too big for the pack.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
No rain cover came with my Osprey Talon, so I've been using a same-size Sea to Summit cover on my weekly cross-country commute. It fits perfectly and, most importantly, has kept the contents perfectly dry throughout the wettest winter in living memory. If it works in Ireland, it will work anywhere!

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
Does anyone have any experience with getting a custom rain cover for an Osprey pack? After 4 different caminos I am now grappling with using my rain suit which I prefer vs a poncho because my pack cover has failed miserably, as in filling up with water at the bottom no matter how much I cinch it. Just seems too big for the pack.
Sea to Summit has never failed me. Don’t wash it. Surface clean only.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I have different sized and colored lightweight waterproof bags inside my pack. Categories with different colors... Blue/toiletries... Red/Rain... Purple/Sleep ... Etc.

I well remember walking behind people with pack covers in the very wet spring of 2014. Often there was a cup or more of water sloshing in the bottom of the pack cover. I always use a poncho that covers all. I had read somewhere that the reason the cover doesn't quite do what is intended is that water runs down the back and gets from there into the cover and pack, going by way of the open side of the cover. While this explanation makes sense to me, I haven't actually investigated it.

My poncho, which does keep me dry, holds in heat. I have the theory that rain pants and jackets would also do this, so I have stayed with what I have. YMMV. (By the way, you can't put the poncho in the washer either. Just hose it off and hang to dry to get the mud off. Using the washer will damage the waterproofing. Voice of experience here!)

I've never used a back pack cover on my seven walks. I use a plastic bag inside my pack and all my gear goes inside the bag when I pack.
I've walked all day in torrential rains and all my gear is 100% dry at the end of the day.
My rain poncho covers my pack pretty much in any case. Never had anything get wet. I think pack covers are a waste of time.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
My Osprey Sirrus 36L came with its own cover in a tiny compartment and I have used it when necessary. It does a good job, but I don't worry much anyway as I always line my pack with a sturdy white trash compactor bag.
I do too but the OP said the bottom of her pack filled up with water!!! Yikes, all I can think of is possible increased weight from water IN the pack.
Is anyone out there anyone out there that has walked this year, in the rain, that has had the same problem?

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
If I may offer a possible solution… go to the dollar store, sewing supplies and buy a plastic grommet, so cheap they’ll come in a bag.
Poke a hole in the bottom of your rain cover, affix said grommet to prevent the hole from becoming larger, you’ve now got a drainage hole.
I also prefer to use a garbage bag as a liner, or you could use a light dry bag, for redundancy.

I know some people sneer at rain covers but they’re good for light drizzles, add visibility if hi viz, and I like to put them on the pack “reverse” side, covering the straps and waist belt, if I’m going to be tossing it underneath a bus.

If I may offer a possible solution… go to the dollar store, sewing supplies and buy a plastic grommet, so cheap they’ll come in a bag.
Poke a hole in the bottom of your rain cover, affix said grommet to prevent the hole from becoming larger, you’ve now got a drainage hole.
I also prefer to use a garbage bag as a liner, or you could use a light dry bag, for redundancy.

I know some people sneer at rain covers but they’re good for light drizzles, add visibility if hi viz, and I like to put them on the pack “reverse” side, covering the straps and waist belt, if I’m going to be tossing it underneath a bus.
Thank you, the Osprey pack covers already have a drainage hole the way you describe. It's not situated correctly for my cinched down pack. When I cinch the pack cover tightly the hole shifts to be closer in to my body and the cover fills. Maybe I can put another hole in or just buy a smaller cover. I also use a garbage bag to protect the contents of my pack.

Pack covers are failure points. Not always but often enough. Straps get wet as well as some parts of the material of the bag between the cover an your back. That is why using a heavier waterproof sack or a series of smaller waterproof stuff bags is the strategy many use.

Covering the backpack is not the primary reason I enjoy using a poncho rather than a rain jacket, but it does provide better water-proofing than does a rain cover in heavy to moderate rain conditions.

A pack liner can be purchased commercially from places like Amazon or Gossamer Gear that will last a long time, or use a large, heavy-gauge, utility plastic bag, like those made for collecting leaves and yard debris, or even the bags used for a residential garbage compactor.

Nylofume Liner
An Amazon Product That Can Work as a Bag Liner
Gossamer Gear Backpack Liner

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
It’s worth checking if you’ve got your pack cover on the right way up. Many brands have a couple of grommeted drain holes in what’s intended to be the bottom. If you find you’re carrying a pint of water, it’s probably upside-down.,

The good ones have drainage holes in the bottom. Just make sure they are unhindered. My wife always uses a rubbish bag as an internal liner. I just use stuff bags.

Just completed 3 days of rain in the Camino Frances, rained all day and the last 2 days torrential. We both have Osprey covers over our Osprey back packs and we were without ponchos, every night super dry. But be reminded the hip pockets and the straps get wet.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
It’s worth checking if you’ve got your pack cover on the right way up. Many brands have a couple of grommeted drain holes in what’s intended to be the bottom. If you find you’re carrying a pint of water, it’s probably upside-down.,
My drain holes are on the bottom. They just don't stay on the bottom with my pack cinched down. Will try a smaller one.I have an Osprey logo on my pack cover. It's always right side up.

I walked last year with an Osprey Talon 33. I bought an Osprey rain cover that was rated for that size. Just a little damp on the bottom on the really heavy rain but I had my cloths in dry sacks so it was no problem. When you but the Osprey rain cover it will say on the box witch size backpacks it is for.

I've never used a back pack cover on my seven walks. I use a plastic bag inside my pack and all my gear goes inside the bag when I pack.
I've walked all day in torrential rains and all my gear is 100% dry at the end of the day.
My rain poncho covers my pack pretty much in any case. Never had anything get wet. I think pack covers are a waste of time.
How do manage you sopping wet pack when you go to a cafe or at the albergue? Just wondering.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
I abandoned pack covers after a rainy walk in NZ, in my experience they do not keep the contents of your pack dry in heavy rain. Only a good pack liner will do this.
Pack covers do somewhat keep your pack dry so it gets less heavy, but it is false economy for the amount of stuffing around, etc and still needing to waterproof the contents.
About the only good thing I can say about the "included pack cover" backpacks is that when you throw the pack cover away the pouch at the bottom of the pack can be a good spot to keep a few bank notes in case you are robbed.

I walked last year with an Osprey Talon 33. I bought an Osprey rain cover that was rated for that size. Just a little damp on the bottom on the really heavy rain but I had my cloths in dry sacks so it was no problem. When you but the Osprey rain cover it will say on the box witch size backpacks it is for.
I'm trying my pack cover from my Sirius 24. May be a better fit. Thank you!

How do manage you sopping wet pack when you go to a cafe or at the albergue? Just wondering.
As I stated in my reply, my rain poncho covers my pack almost 100%...provided I get my poncho on fairly quickly with the onset of rain. So I've never had an issue with a completely soaked pack.
Damp yes, but never streaming water or leaving a puddle when I take it off in a cafe or albergue.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I well remember walking behind people with pack covers in the very wet spring of 2014. Often there was a cup or more of water sloshing in the bottom of the pack cover. I always use a poncho that covers all. I had read somewhere that the reason the cover doesn't quite do what is intended is that water runs down the back and gets from there into the cover and pack, going by way of the open side of the cover. While this explanation makes sense to me, I haven't actually investigated it.

My poncho, which does keep me dry, holds in heat. I have the theory that rain pants and jackets would also do this, so I have stayed with what I have. YMMV. (By the way, you can't put the poncho in the washer either. Just hose it off and hang to dry to get the mud off. Using the washer will damage the waterproofing. Voice of experience here!)
Yes, rain suits also hold in the heat. I don't think there is any way around that.

Forget about a cover for your rucksack. Buy a large dry bag the same size and put it inside your rucksack, then pack all your stuff into it. I did this on every camino since 2011. I also had an Altus poncho which went over my rucksack anyway. On the Portuguese Camino in 2013 it rained non stop day and night for the first 11 days!

Given that Camino walking is only a small subset of my outdoor pursuits I’m perhaps more invested in gear than an occasional walker. And it has inevitably evolved over the years, gradually trending upwards in quality.

Using a proper dry bag pack (eg Crux climbing packs) has been successful, in conjunction with (being a belt-and-braces sort of person) a sturdy liner bag, which also protects the pack material itself.

In this configuration pack covers never enter the equation.

The current iteration is a highly water resistant Mountain Equipment climbing pack (Fang 42) and several Ortlieb dry bags for the organisation and protection of the contents.

As any long distance cyclist will tell you there’s Ortlieb and then there’s the rest… (or very nearly so).

That said this is clearly an investment that only makes real sense if spending a lot of time in challenging conditions.

If that’s not you then a fully waterproof builder’s rubble bag is the way to go for less than a £/€/$.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
If that’s not you then a fully waterproof builder’s rubble bag is the way to go for less than a £/€/$.
No builders 's rubble bag needed for me. They are sturdy, but humongous and usually black in color.
The best choice is an extremely sturdy, white trash COMPACTOR bag (not a regular kitchen trash bag). They stand up stiff and you can easily see inside. I use 2 small mesh laundry bags inside; the air squishes out as you roll them up. I do not like trying to stuff my things into cylinder shape dry bags....my system is cheap and extremely functional on the Camino.

P.S. I have used the same trash compactor bag on at least 4 Caminos and other than a few wrinkles, it has no holes or problems. I fold the excess on top over and clip it.

Last edited:
Forget about a cover for your rucksack. Buy a large dry bag the same size and put it inside your rucksack, then pack all your stuff into it. I did this on every camino since 2011. I also had an Altus poncho which went over my rucksack anyway. On the Portuguese Camino in 2013 it rained non stop day and night for the first 11 days!
I do this. I just wouldn't like the outside of my pack sopping wet. So maybe a poncho this time.

I have different sized and colored lightweight waterproof bags inside my pack. Categories with different colors... Blue/toiletries... Red/Rain... Purple/Sleep ... Etc.
Another positive for pack covers is they are available in high visibility colors, great in wet weather.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Given that Camino walking is only a small subset of my outdoor pursuits I’m perhaps more invested in gear than an occasional walker. And it has inevitably evolved over the years, gradually trending upwards in quality.

Using a proper dry bag pack (eg Crux climbing packs) has been successful, in conjunction with (being a belt-and-braces sort of person) a sturdy liner bag, which also protects the pack material itself.

In this configuration pack covers never enter the equation.

The current iteration is a highly water resistant Mountain Equipment climbing pack (Fang 42) and several Ortlieb dry bags for the organisation and protection of the contents.

As any long distance cyclist will tell you there’s Ortlieb and then there’s the rest… (or very nearly so).

That said this is clearly an investment that only makes real sense if spending a lot of time in challenging conditions.

I have walked the CF, the Portuguese from Lisbon, the Camino del Norte and most recently the Via Podiensis and am planning a summer Camino this year on the Primitivo. Have walked to Finesterre and Muxia and in between plus I do much hiking where I live in Colorado. I separate my gear into 4 stuff sacks and smallsleep liner bag. Dry bags tend to be too heavy for me. I put my 4 bags into a plastic garbage bag which goes into my pack. I am ordering a smaller pack cover. Thanks for your in depth response.

Most read last week in this forum

I realize every ounce matters when carrying backpack and not shipping luggage ahead. However, I know that the Spaniards are big into meat and potatoes, and not so much produce. I am thinking of...
Hola, I gearing up to start my 1st CdS and have seen people recommended sleeping bag liners to protect against bed bugs. Do these help or is it a myth? Should I add the extra weight of bringing one?
I’ve been stressing about charging my devices, so just want to make sure. I have this 4port Powered USB hub which I’m connecting to an adapter to fit European (at least Spain, since I know it...
So I have heard common wisdom is to bring a silk liner for your Camino (+/- a sleeping bag depending on your preference and season). Specifically regarding silk liners, all of the ones I've...
Michael @wisepilgrim had mentioned a new feature that he was developing for Wise Pilgrim, and it looks like it is now in operation. You can check the app and see in real time how many beds are...
Hi! I am 15 days out from my Camino, and suddenly my Buen Camino app is crashing every time I try to look at my stages! I have rebooted my phone, done the "restore app" within the app, rebooted...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.