• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Preparation

duncan pm

I hope that this is appropriate and that it fits here.
I have walked and cycled the Camino 3 times and now, 2 decades or so, major non-physical health problems - disability, twin sons and a very changed life later I am preparing to return.
An emotional thought.
As a full time parent time is not abundant so it will probably be my bike this time.
So the preparation has begun. Without and within.
It does some far from the Pennines to Santiago in every sense.
My bike has grown a profound aversion to going up hill.
So, I've started. Each ride is solitary - my day has always been so, my journey likewise.
My wife is very supportive, my sons pleased to see the relentless depression possibly abaiting and I'm just wishing my bike saddle were not so barbaric.
To walk the camino again would be amazing but the wrong balance.
So, here is to seeing this through, beyond the slough of despond and to completion.
Thank you for reading these ramblings.
Duncan.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Duncan,

Great reflections and good "setting of the table".

Now continue to move as the Camino urges, teases, demands and promises you all that the Way can offer as you make this Camino truly yours...once again.

Saludos and Buen Camino,

Arn

so Duncan big up on the decision
imho & experience the camino is much more fun if the non-physical disabilities are attended to
well before taking the first step on the hallowed terrain
so whether its ocd bipo depro whatever
you might want to get this under control
losing it with no support can be scary
youre welcome to PM me
? perhaps i miss the subtleties

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
"...relentless depression..."

I have been there too. Maybe I'm there again now. Tuesday night I went to bed at the usual time and didn't re-emerge until Thursday morning. But back to the Camino.

Biking - I recommend you go from SJPP to Roncesvalles on the Valcarlos route... all the way on the road. If hills are challenging, take breaks, walk your bike a bit. Don't tell yourself you need to get to Pamplona in one day.

Try to engage the walking pilgrims in the evenings and at dinner. Biking solo can put you at a disadvantage for experiencing the amazing fellowship of the road.

I pray that this Camino will make your heart soar, and you young again.

David, Victoria, Canada.

Hello Duncan....I hope you did well. Just joined the forum recently and am surfing the topics to gain information and inspiration for the short walk I'd like to do intially. I'm 60 and my helath needs work. Your courage comes through your posting and boosted my confidence. God speed pilgrim. Peace, Jerry

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
How very kind and considerate of you.
I wish you the very best and that you too also like the cloud of witnesses around this forum have a wonderful new year.
fair winds and following seas.
may the road rise to meet you.

Most read last week in this forum

Hello everyone, I’m about to embark on my first Camino this month in a week or so. I had plans to go with a friend but it fell through so now I’m visiting a friend in France until I work up the...
Hello all fellow pilgrims! To celebrate my 70th birthday I'll be following the Frances path from St Jean Pied de Port to Santiago de Compostela. Really excited abut the journey for me starting...
We all know there are a lot of bikers on the shared Camino path. I was knocked over in the town of Villatuerta and had to return immediately to the US for treatment after destroying my Camino on...
Good evening all! We began our yearly route to Santiago, today! We 4 Peregrinos resumed our Camino at Rabanal del Camino and walked to Acebo. We encountered Snow, Hail Stones and rain. We loved...
Hi Camino Family, I am travelling from Australia to start the Le Puy Camino May 27th 2024. If there is anyone else planning on walking around this time, it would be great to connect. I speak...
June 22 -@Amachant (SJPP)

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.