• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Preventing Blistres - Tip for new walkers

Pablo2007

Hello all, I will be starting the Camino from SJPDP on 29 September and have been doing some training walks up to about 18kms with 12 kilo pack. I have found that wearing 2 pairs of socks, (One thin inner sock and the a pair of wool socks over these), feet come up roses, OK well maybe not roses but no hot spots or blisters etc. The theory is that instead of feet rubbing againgst loose sock or shoe, one sock rubs against the other and hense no blister.

All I know is that it seems to work very well. If you're prone to blisters give it a go beofre you start.

Pablo

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
Pablo,
You are so right .On the camino , preventing blisters becomes an obsession .
Even one blister will take a week to heal and every step hurts. The smallest blister can feel bigger than a big toe. I remember them well from the camino. Funny thing , I never got a blister on my walks preparing . And I only carried 6 kgs. But there is a lot of concrete and stone to walk on and after 6 hours of walking cobble stones take on a new meaning.
Cheers a

Hi Pablo, about two pairs of socks that sounds like a good idea to prevent blisters. About the back-pack still looking at what to buy and trying them out seems like a must as suggested by some. Now what I was wondering you stated your pack was 12 kilos I've also heard 10 so I presume its what confortable for you to carry.

I appreciate your suggestions any other would be welcomed.

niel

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Hi Nathanael, :)
Re socks, it's possible also to buy double socks and I found them effective but whatever system you use I think you also need a comfortable boot or whatever footwear you are going to use. Early on I saw one pigrim in flip-flops and met him again in Santiago - no foot problems.
Buen Camino,
Brendan

nathanael said:
two pairs of socks that sounds like a good idea to prevent blisters

You might also want to try coating your feet with petroleum jelly, or else an anti-friction product specially made for hikers, like Bodyglide. That will also help prevent hot spots and the like... :arrow:

Hi Everyone,
There are a lot of ideas and opinions about what works to prevent blisters and believe me if there was one easy answer that worked for everyone it would spread across the camino like wildfire! But here are a few more suggestions that I have heard people make that might help.
-make sure both your shoes and socks fit well and don't slip or rub
-put bandaids or other cover on rub spots before a blister develops, not after (okay after if necessary but the idea here is preventative)
-change socks several times a day (alternate between two or three pairs)
-only use soap every second wash and rinse very well
-wear fine socks next to the skin (heavier ones on top if you need them)
I am one of the lucky ones who has walked (2 1/2 times) without any blisters. I wear leather boots with a leather lining (Raichle), fine cotton, wool or wool/silk blend socks (for some reason synthetic fabrics makemy feet hurt). I alternate between two pairs every day, stop at regular intervals and always take my boots off to give my feet a break. I put lavender & arnica foot cream on them (L'Occitane) every time I take my boots off. I'm not saying it would work for everyone but it's really worth taking the best possible care of your feet you can for this walk. Sore feet can really colour your experience.
Happy walking
cecelia

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
I wrap my feet up in bandage tape, on the areas where I get blisters (balls of my feet, the heels, the big toes) when wearing new shoes. That plus wearing two pairs of socks has worked for me.

Kelly

Hi All, :)
And then there is the matter of what to do about blisters when they appear! Compeed and similar things I found to be unhelpful - things like compeed stuck to the sock or pulled the skin off :cry: when I tried to remove it. Plus the compeed can give extra thickness on top of a blister and then moves around and rubs.
Now to a remedy which, if you are squeamish you won't like, but it really does work. :)
You need a fine needle and thread. Thread the needle (sterilised!) and pierce the skin (which will drain the fluid) but then go through the blister and exit through the skin drawing the thread behind but leaving a tail at the entry point. Beyond the exit point cut the thread from the needle and tie the entry tail to the exit thread. You now have a loop.
The pain with a blister is the pressure of fluid under/against the skin. When you walk the following day, if there is any friction and resulting fluid, the fluid leaks out along the thread and the outer skin goes back, hardens up and the inner part heals over a few days. Gently remove the thread.
This is not just theory, I have used it and it works, and have met many pilgrims who have been thankful for this solution. Additional benefit for weight-cautious pilgrims - it's cheap and light. WARNING - if another pilgrim wants to use your needle sterlise it before and after. 8)
Buen camino to all and wishing you a blister-free Camino,
Brendan

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
brendan nolan said:
This is not just theory, I have used it and it works, and have met many pilgrims who have been thankful for this solution.

I certainly would've been thankful for it. I tried popping mine with a needle, and also draining them with a syringe, but they always refilled. So, I went a more drastic route. After showering, I'd rub the blister & surrounding skin with alcohol gel, and then use my Leatherman Micro scissors (sterilized by a lighter first) to cut away the blister bubble. I would then coat the exposed flesh with iodine and antibiotic ointment, and then put Compeed over it (especially at night, so it wouldn't rub all over my bag).

At first there was some pain in the blister site while walking, but that didn't last long. I made sure to keep the site clean and protected until it healed. After a couple of days the exposed area hardened up and was OK. Of course, to prevent a relapse I also focused on prevention, and in this case it involved getting rid of too-hard boot inserts that were causing the friction and replacing them with softer ones.

Of course, I'm sure my invasive method wasn't the best remedy, especially due to the possibility of infection. But it did work, and I was certainly happy about that. Your way sounds better - perhaps some day I'll get to try it out if I walk the Way again... :arrow:

Now what I was wondering you stated your pack was 12 kilos I've also heard 10 so I presume its what confortable for you to carry.

I appreciate your suggestions any other would be welcomed.

niel[/quote]

Hi Neil,
Just saw your post so appologies for the delay in replying. My pack is a LaFuma 50+10lt and it is porbably overly engineered by some opinions for what is required on the Camino, However when I ried lighter framed packs I wasn't comfortable with the feel, level of adjustments and the waist belts. It really is a matter of personal preference. As most people here will tell you 12 kilos is too much, you probably don't need to carry that much, however I was traveling from the other side of the world and though I would need a few extra things. I also wanted to make sure I had enough clothes etc for all situations, cold, hot rain etc. I also had camera, mobile and Ipod and of course the three chargers. I had 2 pairs of shoes other than my boots. And then there is water and food to carry, its surprising how much a piece of cheese some chocolate, nuts and bits an pieces all adds to. I guess I could have reduced the weight by a little but not by very much. The pack itself is over 2 kilos empty but in my opinion because it fits me like a glove and is very comfortable whatever the weight I put in it, its worth the extra weight. We are all different but I found the few extra kilos to be no problem at all, but I'm not suggesting this for everyone. I also walk with a fairly heavy boot, which again is probably over engineered for the conditions on the Camino but it supports they weight and my feet very well. Lighter boots are fine with lighter weights but as the distances get longer I find a heavier boot suits me better.
Try a few long walks with varying amounts of weight and see how you go.

Regards

Pablo

Most read last week in this forum

I am 29 doing the Frances by myself starting in SJPdP next week. I didn’t realize this was a busiest time to do the Frances so I am really nervous about the bed race. I don’t mind socializing or...
Hi, can I get second hand poles from Casa Ivar? Happy to make donation. Walking from Santiago to Muxia, then the Primitivo. Will return them when done.....thanks
New user here. Hello to you all. New to the forum but not to the Camino. I was told about this Forum whilst I walking the lovely scenic 'Camino Norte'. I'm planning walking another in June.
Hi, A couple years ago I flew into Geneva and took a train to Laussane to begin my Francigena. Next year I would like to fly into Geneva and walk the south side - France into Aigle, Switzerland...

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back