Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Primitivo in April 2011

ccwen7

I am going with a group of 6 young men on the primitivo from the 17th to the 30th. We are hoping to do it in 10-11 days. Will the weather be rough during this time period? I have been told to prepare for rain and perhaps some snow. Is it worth it to try this route or take another?

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
"Standard" stages are eleven days to Melide, then another two to Santiago de Compostela.

So the standard time for the Primitivo is 11 days.

If you are going on to Santiago, you will need more time or need to walk longer days. Most of the "standard" stages are about 20 km, so if you can double up, you will need less time. A thirty kilometer day appears on a lot of Caminos, but 40 km is rare. Only you know your fitness level. Typically, a group travels only as fast as its slowest member, so the ambition of the most fit may not be matched by the ability of the least fit.

The weather is changeable in April, so be prepared for all types.

I have been told to prepare for rain and perhaps some snow.

You may be luckier than we were May last year (2010). The Camino from Salas to Tineo was knee deep in mud and water in some places. Some of the other pilgrims we saw were walking on the road all the way. I walked the whole way from Oviedo to Lugo and on to Melide and the Francés in May 2009. It was better that year but still very wet underfoot and there were 3 folk had to give up in Cadavo with bad ankles and knees after slipping on the track. I would suggest that you need to allow more than 10 days, especially in April, at least 12 - 14 days would be a better aim. Go equipped for everything! Snow, rain, fog and even hot sun!!
Last year's "Blog" is here:-
http://returntothecamino.blogspot.com/2 ... chive.html
and my full Camino "Blog" here:-
http://walktocompostela.blogspot.com/20 ... chive.html

Blessings on your walking
Tio Tel

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Hi!
I did the primitivo easily in 11 days last year in July, and i'm a 45 year old woman, so 6 young guys... :)
but i had wonderful weather all the time, and was already quite trained when i got to oviedo (started in bilbao.
ria

TerryB said:
I have been told to prepare for rain and perhaps some snow.

You may be luckier than we were May last year (2010). The Camino from Salas to Tineo was knee deep in mud and water in some places. Some of the other pilgrims we saw were walking on the road all the way. I walked the whole way from Oviedo to Lugo and on to Melide and the Francés in May 2009. It was better that year but still very wet underfoot and there were 3 folk had to give up in Cadavo with bad ankles and knees after slipping on the track. I would suggest that you need to allow more than 10 days, especially in April, at least 12 - 14 days would be a better aim. Go equipped for everything! Snow, rain, fog and even hot sun!!
Last year's "Blog" is here:-
http://returntothecamino.blogspot.com/2 ... chive.html
and my full Camino "Blog" here:-
http://walktocompostela.blogspot.com/20 ... chive.html
Blessings on your walking

Tio Tel or anyone
I am requesting advice on the Primitivo as I am looking at a start date of between 8-14 April on the El Salvador and then linking with the Primitivo. I'm madly finalizing my gear,etc and am very excited however starting to get a bit nervous that perhaps due to the weather this is too early to be doing these treks alone. Any advice from someone who has walked this way in the early Spring?

I would bring all layers including a compressible down jacket, Gortex shoes (is a vibram sole sufficient or are boots recommended? Pack wt will be around 8 pounds without water/food, and I have a 35 degree sleeping bag..will this be warm enough? I am an experienced backpacker from eons back but have not trained however the beauty of these caminos are calling my name! I am in good health (mid 40's), am active in work, and plan to slowly pace myself having about 28 days and more if I would like. Considering doing the Frances now as I am getting cold feet...help! Am I biting off more than I can chew? I enjoy walking alone but think I might be lonely if in empty albuerges the entire way. I speak passable Spanish and enjoy conversations with locals, etc though! Trying to finalize my gear which will be quite different if going on the Frances I believe. Leaving on a trip to Peru in 4 days and then have only a week to organize everything for Espana when I return back home Thanks for any thoughts and advice!!!!!!!!! This forum has been most helpful already! Peace to all today!!!
Susan
Tio Tel

Hi Susan,
There is a lot of info on the forum about the conditions on the Primitivo in spring. e.g. here:- camino-primitivo/topic9925.html
It depends on the weather and if 'spring' is early or late! The higher passes in the Picos can be closed by snow in May!

It may be that the Salvador will be more of a challenge weather wise, especially in early April when there can be a lot of snow in the mountains. Rebeka has been there a number of times. See here:-
camino-del-salvador/topic4840.html

My feeling would be "think hard about the El Salvador". If you can do that one then continuing on the Primitivo should be relatively easy. Are you planning on walking alone? If the weather is at all doubtful when you arrive in Spain, change your plans and move to one of the lower altitude Caminos!

Blessings on your walking whatever Way you choose!
Terry

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
TerryB said:
Hi Susan,
There is a lot of info on the forum about the conditions on the Primitivo in spring. e.g. here:- camino-primitivo/topic9925.html
It depends on the weather and if 'spring' is early or late! The higher passes in the Picos can be closed by snow in May!

It may be that the Salvador will be more of a challenge weather wise, especially in early April when there can be a lot of snow in the mountains. Rebeka has been there a number of times. See here:-
camino-del-salvador/topic4840.html

My feeling would be "think hard about the El Salvador". If you can do that one then continuing on the Primitivo should be relatively easy. Are you planning on walking alone? If the weather is at all doubtful when you arrive in Spain, change your plans and move to one of the lower altitude Caminos!

Blessings on your walking whatever Way you choose!
Terry

Hi Terry
Thanks for your valuable insights and the links. I will be walking alone and think with the info I've just read (the idea of the routes being closed to snow) that perhaps this is one left for another time with friends or later in the season. I am looking at starting a new job in Italy and so will possibly be able to carve out some time off for next summer during which a friend has said he is interested in joining me. Also would give more time for conditioning. At least my shoes are broken in for the Frances so this is the one I'll be walking next month !!

You have helped with my decision making---ha my intuition was telling me these routes might best be left to walking with a companion so there you have it! Also watched a few videos last night on the Camino and the friendships and social community looked fun and reminded me of days when walking the Appalachian Trail. Seems a bond is formed just out of mutual aspiration.

Thanks very much for your kind attention! Blessings to you this day!
Susan

Most read last week in this forum

We are arriving in Madrid on May 5th. I went online today to purchase train tickets to Oviedo and it doesn't show any train service. Does that mean the trains are sold out? Or maybe some other...
Hi, has anyone walked the Primitivo in mid-October? What was it like? Weather, tracks and accommodation? I plan to walk from Oviedo to Lugo only, then bus to Santiago after. Thanks for your input.

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.