Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Progress on the Invierno -- in baby steps

peregrina2000

Staff member
But the good news is that the steps are all going forward, unlike in previous years with their many setbacks.

For those of you who like following the official blah blah blah, um, I mean the official process, there was a meeting a few days ago, in which the Xunta's Culture Minister met with the Invierno associations to tell them it is possible that the Invierno will receive the designation BIC (Bien de Interes Cultural) (Public Good of Cultural Interest or something like that, essentially setting it apart as a heritage site). From what I can tell, BIC status brings with it greater official protection and recognition. This would require legislative action by the regional government, but if all the towns on the route concur (a foregone conclusion, I think), it would be very likely.

The Minister also said that the Xunta had conducted an historical study and was confident that the Invierno is indeed an ancient Camino route to Santiago. I know there had been a lot of disagreement about this, and one of the principal opponents of recognition, I think, was the influential Gallego Camino Association, AGACS. I don't know if they have changed their opinion or if they continue to oppose it, but it looks like we are inching towards the finish line. All we need now are albergues!!!!!

http://www.lavozdegalicia.es/notici...n-camino-invierno-bic/0003_201512M11C3994.htm

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Funny how you can go from not being recognised to becoming a BIC. :rolleyes: I think, if I am not mistaken, that the Primitivo also has that recognitin as does the Ebro. What is happening on the Primtivo is that 2016 is being merketed as "its year". Thanks Galicia gov: and where are all the people walking it for that reason going to sleep? It's not as if many albergues are not already filling up ....

Last edited by a moderator:
Funny how you can go from not being recognised to becoming a BIC. :rolleyes: I think, if I am not mistaken, that the Primitivo also has that recognitin as does the Ebro. What is happening on the Primtivo is that 2016 is being merketed as "its year". Thank Galicia, and where are all the people walking it for that reason goong to sleep? It's not as if many albergues are not already filling up ....

Hi,, Anemone, can you elaborate on 2016 as the "year of the Primitivo?" Who made that designation, and what does it mean? More basically, why would anyone do that, since recent reports are that in summer months the Primitivo is bursting at the seams? Makes me wonder if it's such a smart idea to continue with my plan to walk the Salvador/Primitivo in late June!

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Hi,, Anemone, can you elaborate on 2016 as the "year of the Primitivo?" Who made that designation, and what does it mean? More basically, why would anyone do that, since recent reports are that in summer months the Primitivo is bursting at the seams? Makes me wonder if it's such a smart idea to continue with my plan to walk the Salvador/Primitivo in late June!
Wow, I knew something about the Camino you didn't?! ;) This whole tourism pushing is not a good idea in my opinion. Mind you if the assurance of a bed makes some people decided to go to the neach rather than walk .... more room for us camniholics. ;)

The primitive was indeed bursting at the seams in June 2015. Well...not actually that bad..but the albergues were nearly full every night and there were many Pilgrims walking every day.
In 2014, the number of people turning off the Norte to the Primitivo far exceeded the number that continued on as I did. It got very quiet on the Norte after the Primitivo cut-off.
I started the Primitivo as a separate camino this year (2015).

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.

Most read last week in this forum

Today when I was having some embutidos snd bread since I arrived too late for lunch in any restaurant, I commented to the bartender that the bread was really good and wondered if it was from the...
I just received an email from Rosa cancelling our reservation there for this coming August. (Personal reasons, she said. I hope everything is ok.) Any recommendations for a place to stay nearby?

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back