• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Public transportation

B Squared

Time of past OR future Camino
Frances(2018)
The days that are over 25 km , does the option of using taxis, buses or trains possible to shorten the day?
Thx you,
B squared

A selection of Camino Jewellery
The days that are over 25 km , does the option of using taxis, buses or trains possible to shorten the day?
Thx you,
B squared
I haven't walked any routes in Frances, but can you not just adjust your stage length?

You can use Godesalco to plan your own stages

Last edited:
We will book our gites in advance, most 20/22 km,but quite a few are 29-34km. We are looking to shorten those sections by 10km. We found this possible in Italy & Portugal.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Thx you,
B squared
I’ve got to say… I’m going this year—mid-October…

I’m not sure Why you couldn’t catch a taxi or bus. Monobus- that operates the “daily 11am bus from SDC to Sarria” - they have a posted route— it seems like you’d be able to plan to catch the bus in one of the towns/ or if you stop at a Cafe for lunch.. you could probably ask them to call you a taxi?
I’m not sure if you are wanting to get the Compostela (?) what do you think— is this what you were looking for-maybe I’m answering the wrong question-pls tell us.

I’ve got to say… I’m going this year—mid-October…

I’m not sure Why you couldn’t catch a taxi or bus. Monobus- that operates the “daily 11am bus from SDC to Sarria” - they have a posted route— it seems like you’d be able to plan to catch the bus in one of the towns/ or if you stop at a Cafe for lunch.. you could probably ask them to call you a taxi?
I’m not sure if you are wanting to get the Compostela (?) what do you think— is this what you were looking for-maybe I’m answering the wrong question-pls tell us.
The OP is planning on walking the Chemin Le Puy in France. Monbus' services will be of little help. Nor, I think will rural French infrastructure. Taxi services outside major urban centres are practically non-existent. Local Bar owners may know someone who would be willing to drive a weary pilgrim; then all that is required is a local bar that is open...

We will book our gites in advance, most 20/22 km,but quite a few are 29-34km.
Hi there - which stages in particular are you having problems with? I don't recall too many sections where you'd need to walk 29-34 kms with no option in between. Forum member @BlackRocker57 knows the Le Puy better than most. She walked the path again a few months ago, and has helped out other forum members looking to make stages of around 20kms. And she is also knowledgeable about transport.

Also do you have a good reference for accommodation? @Dave is the author of the Cicerone guidebook for Le Puy Way. That, and Gronze, are excellent references. And, of course, the Miam Miam Dodo.

Taxi services outside major urban centres are practically non-existent.

This is not correct. I am living on the Le Puy Way and know it pretty well. There are plenty of smaller towns and villages on the Le Puy Way with taxi services.

@B Squared Gite owners are usually very helpful. Even if you don't speak French, and if they don't have much English - they'll be able to understand what you need and provide information including about local buses.

There is also the Compostelle bus which runs between Le Puy and Conques.

Here is a quote from the website. The Compostela Bus line will allow you to make your own itinerary at your own rythm along the Via Podiensis. The bus stops at each stage of the Camino from Le Puy en Velay to Conques, and even in the middle of each stage if you want to shorten your hike.

Stage n°1 : from le Puy en Velay to St Privat d'Allier
Stage n°2 : From St Privat d'Allier to Saugues
Stage n°3 : From Saugues to St Alban-sur- Limagnole
Stage n°4 : From St Alban sur Limagnole to Aumont-Aubrac
Stage n°5 : From Aumont-Aubrac to Nasbinals
Stage n°6 : From Nasbinals to St Chély d'Aubrac
Stage n°7 : From St Chély d'Aubrac to Espalion
Stage n°8 : From Espalion to Golinhac
Stage n°9 : From Golinhac to Conques

It's a beautiful path. Bon chemin.

Last edited by a moderator:
St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Dear B squared, I don't remember having those long days on the Le Puy (in 2018), but having walked the Arles route this spring in France , with some planning I was able to take a taxi twice and a bus once to shorten 30km days. Planning is the key, just don't show up in said village and expect transportation will be available. The chemin bus sounds like a fantastic option.

I appreciate all of the replies and great information. Stage 1 thru Congues is not the problem, all are doable by us. It's the Aire sur Adour Stage to Saint Palais( 30-35-29-31-34 KM). Is there taxi service available to shorten these stages?
Again, thank you,
B Squared

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Thx you,
B squared
Not a problem. We use Gronze for all our planning, especially since we prefer not to stop in the towns where everyone stops unless it is a special place like Conques.

For example, Figeac to Cajarc is over 31kms, but you could stop in Le Puy Clavel or Grealou. And you don't really need to stop in Figeac. Use Gronze to fit what you want. We used it last year for the walk from Porto. We did not like the central route, so we shifted to the coastal making reservations that made the trip wonderful.

Gronze provides user reviews which we found very helpful.

I appreciate all of the replies and great information. Stage 1 thru Congues is not the problem, all are doable by us. It's the Aire sur Adour Stage to Saint Palais( 30-35-29-31-34 KM). Is there taxi service available to shorten these stages?
Again, thank you,
B Squared
When I look at Gronze, between Aire Sur l’adour and Saint Palais, there are options for accommodation at much shorter intervals than you’ve noted. Is it that you don’t have the days available to walk in shorter stages? If that’s the case, if you make sure your end point for the day is the larger towns, then it should be relatively straightforward to arrange a taxi (or take local bus if there is one) the next morning to the point where you’re happy to walk from …

The OP is planning on walking the Chemin Le Puy in France. Monbus' services will be of little help. Nor, I think will rural French infrastructure. Taxi services outside major urban centres are practically non-existent. Local Bar owners may know someone who would be willing to drive a weary pilgrim; then all that is required is a local bar that is open...
that is not strictly true ... I have just returned from walking the Le Puy route [from Le Puy to StJPP] and found both local buses [a steal at €2 for the journey] and local taxis in almost every village, except for the very smallest ... the taxi services exist mostly to transport elderly rural residents and others get to their medical appointments in larger towns ... they helped me a lot this year to shorten my stages, particularly on heatwave days🥵

Last edited:
New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Again, thank you,
B Squared
@B Squared Coucou 👋👋👋 are you locked-in to these long stages for a particular reason? As a result of your own planning? As Pelerina @Pelerina has noted it is possible to shorten these days out of Aire-sur-l’Adour to make them a good deal more manageable ... however, if you are now «locked-in» to a particular schedule, perhaps you could identify the towns where you are stopping ... then I can help you with info on taxis and / or local bus services ... you will not find a taxi in every tiny village or hamlet but there are sufficient services to help you shorten your stages ...
------
in the meantime, I highly recommend downloading the «liO Occitanie» app that covers the entire Occitanie region from before Conques to Aire-sur-l’Adour ... it is excellent and you never know when you might need it!

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back