• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Purchasing John Brierley guide in Lisbon?

Yen

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Portuguese
I arrive in Lisbon tomorrow, and hope to make my way (by train) to Porto before commencing my camino. My John Brierley guide to the Camino Portugues has not arrived :(

Would it be possible to purchase a copy of it readily in Lisbon? If so, would anyone be able to provide tips with specific info on where I can get my hands on a copy?

Many thanks!

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Lello linrary in Porto had copies last spring when someone was looking for one. You may want to give them a call and ask.

Mind Lello Livraria in Porto is a big touristical atraction , with busloads full of tourists. To get in you have to wait in queue and pay an entrance fee which will be refunded by buying in the Lello shop.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Mind Lello &Irmões Livraria in Porto is a big touristical atraction , with busloads full of tourists. To get in you have to wait in queue and pay an entrance fee which will be refunded by buying in the Lello shop.
http://www.livrarialello.pt/en/
To visit the bookshop you have to book online and reserve a timeslot.
I doubt if they have time to attend a telephonecall and search for you due the massive queues in front of the till.

Last edited:
Maybe you could try Bertrands Livraria in Porto. On the website they show 5 Brierleys Camino Portugues guides in stock and maybe they are in the Porto shop because the caminho starts in Porto .

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
John Brierley Maps Only guide to the Camino Portugues is available at the Cathedral in Lisboa and in Porto at the Albergue de Peregrinos do Porto, Rua do Barão de Forrester, 954

Laurie's and Johnnie Walker guides from the CSJ are great and I recommend it to everybody.

Mind Lello Livraria in Porto is a big touristical atraction , with busloads full of tourists. To get in you have to wait in queue and pay an entrance fee which will be refunded by buying in the Lello shop.
Wht have they done? It used to be that tourists were only allowed in for an our or so at a specific time. Now I see they sell ticket vouchers for gisits slotted every 15 minutes. Yikes! So much for being a book store...

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Wht have they done? It used to be that tourists were only allowed in for an our or so at a specific time. Now I see they sell ticket vouchers for gisits slotted every 15 minutes. Yikes! So much for being a book store...
It is the most famous bookstore in the world Anemone.

Hi, Albertinho,
I don't know if it's the most famous bookstore or not, but the BBC thinks it is one of the ten most beautiful. :)http://www.bbc.com/culture/story/20140327-worlds-most-beautiful-bookshops
Olá Laurie. I agree with you and the BBC.
These bookshops are beautiful. Some of them I have been among others the one in Maastricht and Lello's of course.
I am wondering why Bertrands in Lisbon (nearby Rossio as I do remember ,is not mentioned.
Best regards from the Netherlands

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
It is the most famous bookstore in the world Anemone.
Yes, I know that. But it used to be that tourists were only allowed for an hour or so in the morning, or was it that picture taking was only allowed for an. Hour or so? I cannot believe they now sell visiting times.

Thank you all for your replies! I managed to borrow a 2011 copy of the John Brierley Camino Portugues guide from the Singapore public library :)

Am set for now... (Unfortunately I don't have a kindle with me, so I won't be getting the other recommended guides. And I don't even have a phone w a camera ;) You'll see me with a regular Sony point-&-shoot on the Camino...)

And for my one day in Porto, I shall see if I can find my way into the Bertrands Livraria regardless. Love books and bookstores...

Thank you all for your replies! I managed to borrow a 2011 copy of the John Brierley Camino Portugues guide from the Singapore public library :)

Am set for now... (Unfortunately I don't have a kindle with me, so I won't be getting the other recommended guides. And I don't even have a phone w a camera ;) You'll see me with a regular Sony point-&-shoot on the Camino...)

And for my one day in Porto, I shall see if I can find my way into the Bertrands Livraria regardless. Love books and bookstores...
Not Bertrand (no problem to get in )but Lello & Irmões is the challenge to get in because of its beauty and the busloads full of tourists as mentioned above.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Yes, I know that. But it used to be that tourists were only allowed for an hour or so in the morning, or was it that picture taking was only allowed for an. Hour or so? I cannot believe they now sell visiting times.
Look at their website and you will see !

It is not a very big shop. It is exceptionally beautiful and has an extensive selection of books, including in English and other languages, especially considering its small size. I went early on a Saturday morning and bought a ticket onsite. You can also buy online, which I think costs more, I think because you can choose your time slot. I waited less than 10 minutes to get in. You can stay as long as you want and you get the cost of ticket deducted from a purchase.

Most read last week in this forum

Hello everyone! My wife and I are doing our first Camino in Sept and I was very curious about the stretch from Tui to Pontevedra. We have been to Spain multiple times and love the small towns...
We arrived in Lisbon yesterday, 48 hrs (by choice via Singapore, Milan and Madrid) after leaving home from regional South Australia. Train to Porto tomorrow hitting the pilgram path on Saturday to...
I’ll be finishing the Caminho Português next month. Last year I wore Hoka Challenger 6 ATR shoes. I did have some blisters and foot pain, but a lot could have been due to the 30+km days from...
Hello, I lost my GoPro with all my pictures on the Camino between Pedra Furada and Aborim last week. Is there a lost and found in SDC? Any other ideas? Thanks and Buen Camino.
Hello pilgrims, I have unfortunately hurt my knee(s) on the second day of walking from Porto. I pushed through some more kilometers, but I had to take a break in Marinhas. I tried everything to...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back