• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

John Brierley's book for walking Portugues camino

Lorrainey

Time of past OR future Camino
Starting 15th June 2023
Hi I am starting walking on 15th June and don't have the book - a friend was going to leave me a copy but forget. Is there anywhere I can buy a copy in Porto?
Thanks for any recommendations/suggestions.
Lorraine

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Hi I am starting walking on 15th June and don't have the book - a friend was going to leave me a copy but forget. Is there anywhere I can buy a copy in Porto?
Lorraine
I believe that it's available as an ebook (Kindle), if that would work for you.

Lorraine
If you are in the U.K. I have a spare copy of his 2023 Portugues map book.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Lorraine
When you buy or order it remember to say a prayer for one of the great Peregrinos ever.

Maybe it depends on which route you are going to take but for the coastal and litirural the book is not all that helpful. We found Wise Pilgrim (free version of the app) more helpful in terms of updated information about places to eat etc. The book was good for historical information about the places. I guess what I’m saying is if you don’t get the book in time, don’t worry because the free app is great and doesn’t weigh anything.

I believe that it's available as an ebook (Kindle), if that would work for you.
Thanks Tim - I downloaded it last night but it's very hard to read the maps and type so I'm back to Sq1. I'm in Seville now, flying to Porto on 14th June, starting walk on 15th! Hopefully I'll be able to do the walk without the book - perhaps follow the crowd!

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Maybe it depends on which route you are going to take but for the coastal and litirural the book is not all that helpful. We found Wise Pilgrim (free version of the app) more helpful in terms of updated information about places to eat etc. The book was good for historical information about the places. I guess what I’m saying is if you don’t get the book in time, don’t worry because the free app is great and doesn’t weigh anything.
Thanks very much Bohemiana - very helpful tip and will do.

Thanks Tim - I downloaded it last night but it's very hard to read the maps and type so I'm back to Sq1. I'm in Seville now, flying to Porto on 14th June, starting walk on 15th! Hopefully I'll be able to do the walk without the book - perhaps follow the crowd!
I used Wise Pilgrim and Buen Camino apps for the SL Camino over past two weeks and they were great. Word of warning - it is very quiet and there are no real crowds to follow. Most people seem to walk the Central CP. The sign posting is good and just ensure you keep the sea to your left! It’s a magical Camino and passes through some lovely large towns. Bon Caminha!

Here’s one other resource for you. I always use the Mapy.cz app. With regards to having a good map, this app has been invaluable to me. You can download the sections you want for use anywhere. Two features that I really like. Caminos are marked by a blue line. With the gps function, you will always know where you are in terms of the Camino or your destination for the day. Second, the most difficult part of navigating on a Camino is getting through or out of cities. I find that Mapy.cz shows me my turn by turn route particularly helpful when trail markets may be hard to see or find in a city.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Here’s one other resource for you. I always use the Mapy.cz app. With regards to having a good map, this app has been invaluable to me. You can download the sections you want for use anywhere. Two features that I really like. Caminos are marked by a blue line. With the gps function, you will always know where you are in terms of the Camino or your destination for the day. Second, the most difficult part of navigating on a Camino is getting through or out of cities. I find that Mapy.cz shows me my turn by turn route particularly helpful when trail markets may be hard to see or find in a city.
3 greatest camino assets: Trail markers, Mapy.cz & Camino Ninja. Can't go wrong.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
This is something I have been wondering about.
I have the 2016 edition, which says of the coastal route "This is a beautiful route being discovered by an increasing number of pilgrims who requested I incorporate it" and goes on to mention weight and publishing cost, so the 2016 edition gives the 'maps only' version of the Coastal and no coverage of the Spiritual variant.
I wondered if/when later editions added more?

If you are wanting the book to help with way finding (ie. maps), it’s best to use the apps. Wise pilgrim & Buen Camino are the 2 I used.

I did carry the Brierley book with me and rarely looked it. I did find the historical info interesting, but it was not helpful for finding places to eat or places to sleep. There are plenty of places to eat & sleep. I did eat at one place listed in the Brierley book & it was the worst meal ever. After that, I asked locals where the best place to eat and was never given wrong advice.

Buen camino!

Thank you lovely Shell.
If you are wanting the book to help with way finding (ie. maps), it’s best to use the apps. Wise pilgrim & Buen Camino are the 2 I used.

I did carry the Brierley book with me and rarely looked it. I did find the historical info interesting, but it was not helpful for finding places to eat or places to sleep. There are plenty of places to eat & sleep. I did eat at one place listed in the Brierley book & it was the worst meal ever. After that, I asked locals where the best place to eat and was never given wrong advice.

Buen camino!
Thank you, really appreciate the replies I've had to my question and the good advice I have received. Am feeling a lot more confident and equipped now to start walking this Thursday (from Porto, Central route). Buen camino.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I have the 2016 edition, which says of the coastal route "This is a beautiful route being discovered by an increasing number of pilgrims who requested I incorporate it" and goes on to mention weight and publishing cost, so the 2016 edition gives the 'maps only' version of the Coastal and no coverage of the Spiritual variant.
Yes, the later additions added more information and the Spiritual Variante

Lorraine
I ordered it on Amazon yesterday - paperback - and received it today. only 1 day delivery for free if you are a Prime member

Hopefully I'll be able to do the walk without the book - perhaps follow the crowd!
You may not have suggested following the crowd as a serious suggestion, but in case you were thinking this would possibly be a good idea, please be cautious. The pace other people set might not suit you. The effort of going even a little faster than your natural pace for very long can quickly tire you more than you might expect.

That said, if the coastal route is as well marked as the central route north of Porto, with care you should be fine, and not need to follow anyone. I use WisePilgrim's apps, Gronze and OSMAnd+, a mapping app similar to MapyCZ and the other generic mapping apps available for smartphones. If the route is well marked, I rarely have to refer to any of these to find the path. They are more about knowing I have tools to help me get back on track should I wander off in a daydream, and to find accommodation.

I hope you have a good walk. I really enjoyed the CP, albeit I walked the Central route and Variante Espirutual.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
We bought the 2022 version of his book. Already outdated.
My website on the Camino Portugués may help you, with GPS tracks, accommodation recommendations, etc, etc... And buen camino!

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
We bought the 2022 version of his book. Already outdated.
There should be a link in it somewhere to the web page with updates. It is the nature of printing a guide that things happen during the publishing cycle that change things.

The developer of the Camino Ninja app died suddenly last year, and the app is no longer available in the app stores, and it's also not updated.
I did come across the sad news of his passing. The app still a useful tool despite the limitation for those who have it. Maybe change my greatest assets to 2&1/2!

I paid 30 euro for the book for the spiritual variant only. It's a lovely book but not much use to me unfortunately.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I walked the Portuguese camino (started Litoral, then crossed over to Central) in April. The waymarkings are generally very good, so you won't need a map for the most part. My only challenge was the route I took to cross to Rates at the recommendation of the nice tourist info lady in Vila do Conde, which turned out to have no markings at all until almost at Rates. Wouldn't go that way again! Based on what I've heard from others, the bike path from Povoa de Varzim inland is nice, and I would take that next time. I had the Brierley ebook on my phone too, but also found the maps to be too small to be useful and couldn't enlarge them. However, some of the background info and tips he provided were worth having. Bom camino!

Last edited:
Lorraine
I left my copy in the lobby by the stamp and maps at Casa do Pinhal Guest House in Vila Chã! You can stay there and see if the book is still there! :)

It's a good book, but between the Buen Camino app and Google Maps, I found I wasn't using the book.

The developer of the Camino Ninja app died suddenly last year, and the app is no longer available in the app stores, and it's also not updated.

The Camino Ninja App is already available again for Apple, and Google will follow soon.

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.

Most read last week in this forum

My final question since I have asked sooo many. Grabbing a light lunch that I can get on the go, hoping to grab it, and find a square or a bench to enjoy it, then get back to walking. Not really...
Hello everyone! My wife and I are doing our first Camino in Sept and I was very curious about the stretch from Tui to Pontevedra. We have been to Spain multiple times and love the small towns...
We arrived in Lisbon yesterday, 48 hrs (by choice via Singapore, Milan and Madrid) after leaving home from regional South Australia. Train to Porto tomorrow hitting the pilgram path on Saturday to...
Hello, I lost my GoPro with all my pictures on the Camino between Pedra Furada and Aborim last week. Is there a lost and found in SDC? Any other ideas? Thanks and Buen Camino.
I’ll be finishing the Caminho Português next month. Last year I wore Hoka Challenger 6 ATR shoes. I did have some blisters and foot pain, but a lot could have been due to the 30+km days from...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back