Questions Invierno and San Salvador

KariannNor

Apr 16, 2023
Norway
Time of past OR future Camino
Frances/Finestere 2023, 2024 ?
Compered to Primitivo

1. Terrain. Wonder if its very steep decents that, if rain, can get really slippery. I have only trainers and sandals (the s not very supporting ones, meant for flat and dry really). Steep up ok! (but guess what goes up must come down as Wise Pilgrim says)

2. Heat. Open landskape without shadow scares me a bit, don't handle heat well. Of course one can never predict the weather, but which route would you choose in terms of warm temperaturs?

3. Navigation. Is it well marked? I will buy a good paper map anyway and have a compass, but do not trust any offline maps or my phone which have some kind of illness because of something.

4. Train/bus. Whats easiest to go go from Lugo/Feirreira/Melide.

Thanks for reply!

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.

David Tallan

Staff member
Dec 8, 2013
Toronto, Canada
1989, 2016, 2018, 2023, 2024...
In general, I found the San Salvador pretty similar in the ways you ask about (terrain, heat, navigation) to the Primitivo. Just a lot more concentrated since it is less than half as long. A day to get into the mountains. Several days of gorgeous mountain scenery and great hiking, with some wonderful albergues, and a day to wind down. That's one of the reasons I think it makes such a nice aperitif or appetizer for the Primitivo (although it is also a wonderful little Camino in its own right).

sun is shining

Mar 27, 2011
Kingston upon Hull
I found some of the descents on the Salvador ridiculously steep (anything after the highest point at the Salvador cross and San Miguel del Rio) - but I haven’t walked the Primitivo yet so can’t tell you if they are steeper or not. I wore mountain shoes with fantastic grip and strong soles and still slipped a couple of times in the mud. Without poles I would have had real problems too.

The Salvador is an incredibly well marked Camino. Read the Enders guide for each day and you should not have any navigation issues. All crunch points are highlighted in the guide with images. We never had to use our GPS but did look up a couple of the alternatives on our phones just to be on the save side.

As for shade / heat - it’s really unpredictable. I feel like the Salvador has a lot more shade than the Invierno (which I walked in a small heat wave a few weeks back). But then again you might hit some really warm weather in the mountains which could make for hard ascents.

Between the Invierno and the San Salvador I’d choose the Salvador any day of the week again. Hardly any asphalt walking, easily adjustable stages and breathtaking scenery. You’ll need to do a bit of advance planning but all you need for that is the Enders guide and a WhatsApp capable phone (with data - not a lot of Wifi around).

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.

KariannNor

Apr 16, 2023
Norway
I found some of the descents on the Salvador ridiculously steep (anything after the highest point at the Salvador cross and San Miguel del Rio) - but I haven’t walked the Primitivo yet so can’t tell you if they are steeper or not. I wore mountain shoes with fantastic grip and strong soles and still slipped a couple of times in the mud. Without poles I would have had real problems too.

The Salvador is an incredibly well marked Camino. Read the Enders guide for each day and you should not have any navigation issues. All crunch points are highlighted in the guide with images. We never had to use our GPS but did look up a couple of the alternatives on our phones just to be on the save side.

As for shade / heat - it’s really unpredictable. I feel like the Salvador has a lot more shade than the Invierno (which I walked in a small heat wave a few weeks back). But then again you might hit some really warm weather in the mountains which could make for hard ascents.

Between the Invierno and the San Salvador I’d choose the Salvador any day of the week again. Hardly any asphalt walking, easily adjustable stages and breathtaking scenery. You’ll need to do a bit of advance planning but all you need for that is the Enders guide and a WhatsApp capable phone (with data - not a lot of Wifi around).
Thank you! Can I get this guide in Lugo? Or maybe the office in Leon?

peregrina2000

Staff member
Mar 6, 2006
Champaign, Illinois, USA
Thank you! Can I get this guide in Lugo? Or maybe the office in Leon?
Here’s a link to the most recent version.

And for those who are inclined to contribute to Donativo efforts, here is a way to contribute to Ender’s efforts. He writes guides, he builds physical infrastructure, he works with mayors, and just spend countless hours on both the Salvador and the Olvidado.

KariannNor

Apr 16, 2023
Norway
Here’s a link to the most recent version.

And for those who are inclined to contribute to Donativo efforts, here is a way to contribute to Ender’s efforts. He writes guides, he builds physical infrastructure, he works with mayors, and just spend countless hours on both the Salvador and the Olvidado.
Thank you! But there is a paper version I can buy in a fysical store also? Leon?

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.

sun is shining

Mar 27, 2011
Kingston upon Hull
Thank you! But there is a paper version I can buy in a fysical store also? Leon?
You can print it out in a print shop in Leon (there are lots and they are cheap).

Also, do you speak Spanish? There’s a chapter of the Camino Amigos in Leon that’s a wealth of information for the San Salvador - they can help you plan your stages and make sure you understand when / where to pre-order food.

Reactions: David Tallan

Most read last week in this forum

I’m just back from a two-part Camino. The Via Serrana from Gibraltar to Sevilla, and then the Invierno from Ponferrada. I am experiencing the standard post-camino letdown, so I thought I’d...
hey there! i'm looking into my first camino, hoping to start around mid-late august - i've wanted to do the traditional frances route for some years now but haven't been in a position to...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides