• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Questions questions from a nervous but excited novice.

fatblackwoman

Time of past OR future Camino
Aug 2nd2 to Aug 29th 2013
There is such a wealth of experience on this site, it is fantastic and a god send.

Never done any independent walking before and have no sense of direction - is it possible to get lost?
I start walking on 22nd August and hope to reach Santiago by the 28th - is this feasible?
I am walking from Sarria to Santiago, How will I know where to start my walk?
Is there a map or online resource that will enable me to view my route and plan my stops?
Where can I find a list of places to stay along the way as I would like to book in advance? I am looking for basic/clean hotels, not hostels.
What is the terrain like? steep, hilly, flat or a mixture - I am of average fitness and asthmatic. I have just been walking in the English Lake District and found the inclines challenging.
Is it possible to leave a suitcase in storage at Santiago airport?

I am expecting the arrival of Brierly's Camino book tomorrow. I am told it is a great source of info.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-

1. Never done any independent walking before and have no sense of direction - is it possible to get lost?
2. I start walking on 22nd August and hope to reach Santiago by the 28th - is this feasible?
3. I am walking from Sarria to Santiago, How will I know where to start my walk?
4. Is there a map or online resource that will enable me to view my route and plan my stops?
5. Where can I find a list of places to stay along the way as I would like to book in advance? I am looking for basic/clean hotels, not hostels.
6. What is the terrain like? steep, hilly, flat or a mixture - I am of average fitness and asthmatic. I have just been walking in the English Lake District and found the inclines challenging.
7. Is it possible to leave a suitcase in storage at Santiago airport?

OK, I do my best ;-)

1. Not really, there are yellow arrows everywhere, sometimes they take you for a little detour past the local bar but you will be fine especially with your guidebook.
2. 1 week will be enough, yes.
3. The Brierley guide will tell you, also Sarria is not sooo huge, and, if you arrive by bus there, there were in the past yellow arrows at the bus station pointing to >>>Camino ;-)
4. Yes, there is plenty of material here on this website, have a look here http://www.caminodesantiago.me/45-faqs-on-the-camino-de-santiago/ for a starting point.
5. see 4.
6. Galicia is pretty hilly, but not too steep from Sarria onwards. See link under 4. there is a height profile mentioned.
7. Yes, just contact Ivar, who runs this forum, he also operates a luggage service in Santiago.

Hope that helps, Buen Camino!, SY

OK, I do my best ;-)

1. Not really, there are yellow arrows everywhere, sometimes they take you for a little detour past the local bar but you will be fine especially with your guidebook.
2. 1 week will be enough, yes.
3. The Brierley guide will tell you, also Sarria is not sooo huge, and, if you arrive by bus there, there were in the past yellow arrows at the bus station pointing to >>>Camino ;-)
4. Yes, there is plenty of material here on this website, have a look here http://www.caminodesantiago.me/45-faqs-on-the-camino-de-santiago/ for a starting point.
5. see 4.
6. Galicia is pretty hilly, but not too steep from Sarria onwards. See link under 4. there is a height profile mentioned.
7. Yes, just contact Ivar, who runs this forum, he also operates a luggage service in Santiago.

Hope that helps, Buen Camino!, SY

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.

“There is no exercise better for the heart than reaching down and lifting people up.” Your help has lifted me up. Thank you so much you have been really helpful. I will take a look at the links for the information.

The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
You are very welcome ;-) If you have any further questions, just fire away ;-) SY

Here is a bit more info for planning your Sarria west camino on-line.

To begin your search for PRIVATE lodging places (Hospedajes) along the Camino Frances use the Mundicamino website set for Etapa 28: Sarria will be at the bottom of the page >>
http://www.mundicamino.com/ruta.cfm?p=Hospedajes&id=15&cod=28&xini=O%20Cebreiro&xfin=Samos&xne=28&quees=Hospedajes

You can also translate the page automatically into English. For lodging info for further stops along the way click the orange arrow to a higher Etapa on the right of the page.

One of my favorite places west of Sarria is near Palas de Rei . The hotel/restaurant, La Cabana, has an excellent daily menu and a great bar on the wide verandah with free WiFi. The also offer special pilgrim rates for their rooms. I have never stayed there but always enjoy their food. Here is their web >> http://www.hotel.info/en/hotel-complejo-la-cabana/hotel-162273/.

Buen Camino,

Margaret Meredith

Last edited:
Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
When you get your book you might find 2 places we liked for stopping the night.
O Méson at Brea and El Paio at Lavacolla. Both have private rooms and are very pilgrim friendly. Meals at first, very good , also second has a restaurant but there are other alternatives nearby too. These are not at the 'Brierly breaks'. If the info isn't there I'll look it up to post here. :)

Hi! With Brierlys guidebook you should have no problems. It is all doable and if in doubt just ask those around you. they are so helpful. I never planned ahead as to where I would stay and you have a number of choices as you go along. Enjoy your Camino and don't worry too much. you will be surprised by it all. The countryside is breathtaking. Buen Camino.

hello and welcome to the forum,

i don't think you should stay overnight in lavacolla (where santiago airport is located) as you are so close to santiago. it is better to just walk to santiago and stay in the city.

buen camino.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Lavacolla can be a good place to stay if you want a short hop into the city in time for the pilgrims' mass on your day of arrival. I've done that on both my Camino Franceses.

In response to the original post, the word 'hostal' in Spanish refers to the kind of low-cost independent hotel (with private rooms) that you're looking for. It's 'albergues' that you probably want to avoid, but even some of them have private rooms.

Buen Camino!

This is a great hotel in Lavacola: 42.90058, -8.43684 on Google maps

Hotel Garcas
Calle Noval, 2
15820 Lavacolla, Santiago de Compostela, A Coruña, A Coruña, Spain
+34 981 88 82 25

Thank you all so much for your help. I will be busy today looking into all of the information.
You guys are so great, it is a shame I am not going to bump into you along the way.:)

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!

Most read last week in this forum

Between Villafranca Montes de Oca and San Juan de Ortega there was a great resting place with benches, totem poles andvarious wooden art. A place of good vibes. It is now completely demolished...
Just an FYI that all available beds are taken in SJPDP tonight - fully, truly COMPLETO! There’s an indication of how busy this year may be since it’s just a Wednesday in late April, not usually...
Left Saint Jean this morning at 7am. Got to Roncesvalles just before 1:30. Weather was clear and beautiful! I didn't pre book, and was able to get a bed. I did hear they were all full by 4pm...
Hi there - we are two 'older' women from Australia who will be walking the Camino in September and October 2025 - we are tempted by the companies that pre book accomodation and bag transfers but...
We have been travelling from Australia via Dubai and have been caught in the kaos in Dubai airport for over 3 days. Sleeping on the floor of the airport and finally Emerites put us up in...
Hi all, Very new to this so please excuse any ignorance or silly questions :) I'm walking my very first Camino in 2 weeks (iieeeek) - the countdown is on and excitement through the roof. I've...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back