• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Rainy season on Camino frances

batty

Time of past OR future Camino
may or september 2024
I am starting my camino from SJPD on May the 9th and i hear its rainy season ! ! !
I still have some flexibility around my dates .
Any insights will be appreciated.
I look forward to hearing from anyone that may have some experience or information that might help me decide to change or stay with my plans .If you have walked the path during that timeline i really would like to hear from you.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
I am starting my camino from SJPD on May the 9th and i hear its rainy season ! ! !
I look forward to hearing from anyone that may have some experience or information that might help me decide to change or stay with my plans .If you have walked the path during that timeline i really would like to hear from you.
I would guess that every year is different, and to look at a weather forecast.
I walked in May and had a full day in torrential rain in Galicia (that's to be expected). Other than that it rain mainly in the afternoons when I'd finished walking.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
The rainy season in Galicia is from May 1st through April 30th….the rest of the Camino, not so much. You’ll definitely have some hot and dry weather on the Meseta and summer will have fully arrived in June by the time you reach Santiago

You never know, years are very different. On my first CF from SJPP to Leon in September the weather was very summery all time, and very hot on the messeta. Then next year I was a bit worried to continue from Leon in the end of June. Well, it was around max 16-17°C the whole two weeks. A perfect weather for walking. And at the same time it was 30°C in Finland 😄

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I did it last year starting end of April and all of May. I think I only had 4 days rain in all that time. Just pot luck really

@batty, You've not said where you "heard" that but it's provoked a chuckle or two. Northern Iberia doesn't have a rainy season. It has Spring, Summer, Autumn & Winter, or Primavera, Verano, Otoño & Invierno, if you prefer. And it can rain in any of them though the likelihood in any given season varies as it does with the geography. Rain is always more likely in Galicia than in Castilia Leon. And on the Meseta they probably put more effort into praying for rain than they do into praying for it to stop.

A pilgrim on the roads to Santiago is always advised to carry some sort of waterproofing, even if thats just an umbrella. If you are hoping to identify the perfect day to start the Camino it is, in no particular order; last week, next week, today ;)

I wish you Buen Camino but please don't worry about the weather. Worry about your feet....

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I walked the Camino Frances 5 May to 12 June last year. I think I only walked in rain once or twice. I do remember a period of 7-10 days when there were storms/heavy rain in the mid afternoon but I had finished walking by then.

I would guess that every year is different, and to look at a weather forecast.
I walked in May and had a full day in torrential rain in Galicia (that's to be expected). Other than that it rain mainly in the afternoons when I'd finished walking.
Going by the rain that fell the last two weeks in October in Galicia, I would say October/November was the rainy season.

The rain in Spain falls mainly where you're walking. I used an umbrella for rain and shade. I walked in Apr-May and didn't seem like it rained that much.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I walked in September, with several days walking in torrential rain... My rain pants were fantastic, my jacket pretty hopeless, my umbrella (which I also used on very sunny days) useful. Don't worry about the weather too much, it's always going to be there...

I walked the Frances May- June last year, staring May 18 fromSJPP. I only walked in the rain 3 days the whole trip. It did rain some more days but in the evening after I had finished my walk for the day and even then only a couple times I think in Burgos and Foncebadon.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
It's the luck of the draw when it comes to rain on the Camino. In 2022, I started my Camino on May 10 from SJPDP and had absolutely gorgeous weather the whole way through. Just a little rain at the end going into Santiago. In fact, it was pretty darn hot for a week or so going through the Masada. It was particularly beautiful weather going over the Pyrenees, lots of sunshine and beautiful views. I bumped into some folks that left SJPDP a couple days after I did and they had nothing but fog and rain.

See the attached graph I made of the historic percent chance of rain on the various days of my Camino hike starting with May 10 in SJPDP and ending on June 19 in Santiago. The last couple of days through June 25 were for a hike to Finisterre, but I ended up canceling that part of the trip due to an calf muscle injury on the final days of the Camino.

Attachments

• % Chance Rain.JPG
    % Chance Rain.JPG
    58.9 KB · Views: 8
I walked in April/May last year and used my rain jacket for cold more than rain. 2 days it rained out of 40, one of those days was day 1, the other it poured an hour after we arrived at our destination for the night.

Just walk… the weather is unpredictable… you’ll be fine!

Good morning Batty,

Well I do not kmow about rainy season that period, because I started 4 times in SJPDP for my camino around the first of May in 2018,2019,2022, 2023 and I think I averaged in all those years about one day of rain in 33 days !!!
And in all those years that was in Galicia towards the end.
Might have been luck though because sometimes I heard there was some rain just in front or just behing me :)

Regards from Zermatt, Switzerland and buen camino :)

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc

Most read last week in this forum

Just an FYI that all available beds are taken in SJPDP tonight - fully, truly COMPLETO! There’s an indication of how busy this year may be since it’s just a Wednesday in late April, not usually...
Between Villafranca Montes de Oca and San Juan de Ortega there was a great resting place with benches, totem poles andvarious wooden art. A place of good vibes. It is now completely demolished...
Hi there - we are two 'older' women from Australia who will be walking the Camino in September and October 2025 - we are tempted by the companies that pre book accomodation and bag transfers but...
We have been travelling from Australia via Dubai and have been caught in the kaos in Dubai airport for over 3 days. Sleeping on the floor of the airport and finally Emerites put us up in...
Hi all, Very new to this so please excuse any ignorance or silly questions :) I'm walking my very first Camino in 2 weeks (iieeeek) - the countdown is on and excitement through the roof. I've...
From a friend on the ground in Pamplona https://www.noticiasdenavarra.com/fotos/general/sociedad/2024/04/23/nieve-primaveral-presente-navarra-8152386.html

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back