• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Recent Posts

A Kerryman

Time of past OR future Camino
2018,2019, 2021
I would just like to say it’s brilliant to see all the posts about Back Packs , Ponchos , Socks , Orrison , Blisters again after the past 2 years . Though they drive me insane , it means people are going to return in numbers this year and that is great .
I would just like to say the most important things are your shoes and have enough funds and do not over plan it and you will have a wonderful time . You might get wet but you will dry off and you will get tired but you will recover . Buen Camino to all in 2022 .

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I never thought i would be Post #2!!!

However, I must disagree, to an extent. If the pilgrim is a first timer, and you are a planner, do as much menucha planning as you can. Get your enjoyment out of your planning. You are the one that enjoys it.

But once the first camino is done, find out how it makes you feel. Then after a month at home, has that feeling changed? My guess is that feelings will change. If it evolves to a desire to return, that planning will likely diminish. The transformation from hiker to Pilgrim has begun.

Careful. There will be no controlling it. The addiction is lifelong.

I never thought i would be Post #2!!!

However, I must disagree, to an extent. If the pilgrim is a first timer, and you are a planner, do as much menucha planning as you can. Get your enjoyment out of your planning. You are the one that enjoys it.

But once the first camino is done, find out how it makes you feel. Then after a month at home, has that feeling changed? My guess is that feelings will change. If it evolves to a desire to return, that planning will likely diminish. The transformation from hiker to Pilgrim has begun.

Careful. There will be no controlling it. The addiction is lifelong.
Post number 3 However I must disagree with Post number 2 to an extent. It is fun to plan your camino and do research and do itineraries, and whatever else feeds your confidence or in some cases even neuroses ;). Plan and plan take notes, ask questions, watch videos but once you start throw it all out the window, and just start to walk and let the Camino and your body, mind and spirit guide you. I love to plan before I start a camino, it is lots of fun. Then it all goes in my trash can on the bottom right of my Mac.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Post number 3 However I must disagree with Post number 2 to an extent. It is fun to plan your camino and do research and do itineraries, and whatever else feeds your confidence or in some cases even neuroses ;). Plan and plan take notes, ask questions, watch videos but once you start throw it all out the window, and just start to walk and let the Camino and your body, mind and spirit guide you. I love to plan before I start a camino, it is lots of fun. Then it all goes in my trash can on the bottom right of my Mac.
I started planning for my first Camino in 2019 for spring 2020. And it was the best 9 months of fun and research. I’m still planning to an extent (tweaking and reading and learning Spanish) for 2023. For me it feels I’ve been on the Camino since 2019 and I’m so enjoying this planning phase. Whatever you need to do to feel at ease before your first steps…do it. Once I start walking all that planning will melt away while I live in the moment and enjoy the privilege of experiencing life as a pilgrim. Buen Camino to young and old ❤️

Post #8...I agree with bits and dabs of all of the above posts, but my days of fully "winging" a Camino and throwing my time consuming plans out the window are gone. I have never walked alone or I'd possibly feel differently. I have always walked with 1, 2 or 3 family or friends at a time which makes planning ahead with lodging more important as the Caminos keep escalated in popularity since my first one in 2015. I always feel relief to know my ducks are in a row before I leave home, since I tend to be the planner for the ones coming with me.

Post 6! I’m a newbie. First Camino in May. Loving the planning but wanting to just go for it once we start. Obsessed with reading posts on this forum
And that is the biggest problem with the forum 😂., you will become addicted but just know this ,
1 you do not need Merrell shoes to walk the Camino
2 you do not need an Atlas Poncho to walk the Camino
3 You do not need an Osprey Talon to walk the Camino
thousands who couldn’t afford any of the above sourced a cheaper alternative and they still got on fine and reached Santiago De Compostela in one piece

Guides that will let you complete the journey your way.
And that is the biggest problem with the forum 😂., you will become addicted but just know this ,
1 you do not need Merrell shoes to walk the Camino
2 you do not need an Atlas Poncho to walk the Camino
3 You do not need an Osprey Talon to walk the Camino
thousands who couldn’t afford any of the above sourced a cheaper alternative and they still got on fine and reached Santiago De Compostela in one piece
Thank you! I’ve not bought anything new so far. Probably will get trail runners but everything else is using stuff I already have. Trying to do it light but basic.

I started planning for my first Camino in 2019 for spring 2020. And it was the best 9 months of fun and research. I’m still planning to an extent (tweaking and reading and learning Spanish) for 2023. For me it feels I’ve been on the Camino since 2019 and I’m so enjoying this planning phase. Whatever you need to do to feel at ease before your first steps…do it. Once I start walking all that planning will melt away while I live in the moment and enjoy the privilege of experiencing life as a pilgrim. Buen Camino to young and old ❤️
The planning phase is the start of your Camino. You are already a pilgrim. Welcome to the club.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
A kindred planning pilgrim. Buen Camino tambien!

Post #8...I agree with bits and dabs of all of the above posts, but my days of fully "winging" a Camino and throwing my time consuming plans out the window are gone. I have never walked alone or I'd possibly feel differently. I have always walked with 1, 2 or 3 family or friends at a time which makes planning ahead with lodging more important as the Caminos keep escalated in popularity since my first one in 2015. I always feel relief to know my ducks are in a row before I leave home, since I tend to be the planner for the ones coming with me.
I am a solo traveler. No one else is responsible for my decisions, or its ramifications

My planning ends when I have determined how I am getting to the start line, so to speak. From there, it is a matter of a couple of days while I find flights home at the end of the Camino. Everything in between happens as it happens. It is the best way to create, "unplanned," adventures. This is how I get the greatest amount of enjoyment in my travelling.

Finally, as an example, I have never made a reservationon the Camino, not even at Orisson...lol.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!

Most read last week in this forum

**Update** I reached out to the developer and a fix is in! unistalled the app again, and reinstalled the new updated version, and it works like a charm again! Hi! I am 15 days out from my...
So I have heard common wisdom is to bring a silk liner for your Camino (+/- a sleeping bag depending on your preference and season). Specifically regarding silk liners, all of the ones I've...
Greetings Fellow Pilgrims! I have more than a month to go until I leave on my first Camino, but couldn't resist getting my pack together already this weekend. My full backpack (Deuter 30 L) is...
I had bought the long Camino banner-style map in Santiago and finally got around to having it framed. The framers managed to tear my map and I'm in need of a replacement. Does anyone know where...
Hi Guys This is just for info really; but if mods want to they can delete! For this May's Camino i have gone back to my Talon 33 (so much less stuff this time; in fact everything is in the top...
I am new on the forum, though I have followed it for years in anticipation of walking. Twice planned, twice cancelled. Once again, I have bought tickets and my daughter and I hope to walk del...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.