• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Recommend you summer weight long sleeve shirt

ctburg

I have a very, very fair complexion and will need to wear a long sleeve shirt on the camino. Ladies, please recommend your summer weight shirt. I have looked at summer weight ice breaker, smart wool and a few technical shirts and question if they will be strong enough to withstand daily wear and the abuse of the backpack. I am looking for something light enough not to over heat and strong enough for daily wear and tear. Suggestions would be appreciated. Actually, my son will need something similar, so suggestions from the gents are also requested. Thanks.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Get a couple of the long sleeved, synthetic running/workout type shirts. Under Armor, Nike, Adidas, etc makes them, but you can get less expensive ones at Target or Old Navy, etc, or find them online everywhere. They make them for men and women. I'm wearing one in my profile photo there to the left. Some have the higher, zip-up collars, which are good. The advantage the synthetic material has is that it dries quick on your body (keeps you cooler when it gets warm) and also on the clothes line after washing. The Camino is not hard at all on your equipment or your clothing. After I got home and washed everything it looked like it did when I started. A good quality shirt like that would probably last ten Caminos.
Same with whatever kind of hat y'all wear on the Camino. Just like the shirts. Lightweight, synthetic, breathable. Lot's of brands out there.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
If you are in the USA, go to your closest Goodwill store and buy a lightweight long sleeved cotton or cotton gauze shirt.
Make it loose and comfie.
That's it.
$6

If it's for summer I'd stick to linen. Cotton is too hot for much of the summer. Plus linen looks normal/good wrinkled.

I wore a technical shirt on both my caminos. I never thought I could as I always prefer natural materials but I found it very comfortable - and great sun protection.

The shirt was a Mountain Hard Wear brand, light blue, long sleeve button up style with mesh under the arms. It died easily overnight. I wore it everyday for 2 Caminos so it definitely stood the wear and tear!

buen camino!

I am very sun sensitive too. But I hate sunblock - inconvenient, expensive, feels gross..... and as I get older, it seems to get less effective.
But I also hate hiking in long sleeve shirts - I feel claustrophobic.

My solution is to hike in my typical, short sleeve tech shirts, and wear sun sleeves. They are actually very cooling, convenient, lightweight, quick-dry and durable..... and 50+ SPF. And they protect the back of my hands as well, which is especially crucial since I hike with poles. Here are the ones I use:
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00CGDXQEG/?tag=casaivar02-20

I also use a trekking umbrella when sun exposure is particularly brutal. It's very cooling, especially if you have a silver reflective one. And it's multi-purpose as rain gear.
http://www.euroschirm.com/schirm/liteflex/index.cgi?session=VkRwuJpUam8G6&sprache_land=usa

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
I have used Lowe Alpine and Exofficio on the camino, and a variety of brands walking at home. I don't think brand makes as much difference as you seem to think it might. I look out for the sales at local outdoors outfitters, and try and figure out how much trouble I will be in when I get it home. I have yet to wear out a good technical shirt, so I have a collection!

I like White Sierra Gobi Dessert Shirts. The synthetic fabric breaths, is vented, wicks perspiration and dries quickly. It is basically wrinkle proof. And provides additional UV protecation if the shirt is new. I actually am making myself a shirt out of technical fabric because I am short with short arms and I can't find one in a petite arm length. Here are my specs:

Vented back
No pockets over the boobs :eek: (or anywhere else for that matter as I don't use them)
Sun flaps for the tops of my hands. (I saw these on a shirt recently when I was shopping. They fold out and cover the gap between hands and light weight gloves (I use polls and wear very light biking gloves to cover my hands and the flap adds some additional coverage)
Light weight. Some of the tech fabric is heavier than you would think. I just ordered some that is 2.9 oz per sq

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
If you are prone to sunburn, don't get normal linen or cotton but technical sun protective shirts. I like the Craghoppers Darla range, light, good fit, quick drying and hard wearing. I have just bought another one!

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I'm a walking freckle and need to cover up , I found that Rohan long sleave shirts, though expensive , worked very well over a base layer and under a fleece/waterproof

I ran across some long-sleeve, high(ish) collar (to my memory) shirts the other day that seemed to be meant to wear over swim suits as sun protection. I believe I saw them on the LLBean site. I don't remember the name for them, but they were in the swimsuit section. They would probably be somewhat durable at least. And with a fabric that is meant to be wet and dry a lot.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Rohan shirts have sun protection. Currently have a sale (ends Sunday 25th Jan). The Leeway shirt is good - I have one.

Rohan shirts have sun protection. Currently have a sale (ends Sunday 25th Jan). The Leeway shirt is good - I have one.
I have used many Tech shirts over the years but Rohan is by far my favourite, they are not cheap but are very good quality. I also find that they do not get whiffy as fast as others I have used like North Face.

Rohan shirts have sun protection..

Everything has some sun protection. A totally transparent sheet of glass blocks some sun light. If you walk around all summer in a pair of jeans I bet you'll not be touched by sun light.

I use these: http://rab.uk.com/products/mens-clothing/synthetic-baselayer/aeon/aeon-long-sleeve-tee.html

They are very lightweight (almost like a synthetic silk), they have a built in SPF .

SPF IIRC is just a measurement of how much UV something passes. There are also two different numbers. A and B. It's also not a straight forward measure. So factor 50 is a lot better then 10 but not much better then 30.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
My husband and I both wore Columbia SPF button down long sleeve shirts over our short sleeve tech shirts. The sleeves can also be rolled up halfway and they are super lightweight. They are quick dry and come in great colors.

I bought a men's HellyHanson "heat gear" long sleeve t shirt and have used it kayaking and hiking. It's extremely light weight and cool and quick dry. It has a crew neck and is nice and baggy so it works well over a tank if needed but keeps me cool and covered.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Everything has some sun protection. A totally transparent sheet of glass blocks some sun light. If you walk around all summer in a pair of jeans I bet you'll not be touched by sun light.

SPF IIRC is just a measurement of how much UV something passes. There are also two different numbers. A and B. It's also not a straight forward measure. So factor 50 is a lot better then 10 but not much better then 30.
Rohan Men's Overland Shirt
Taking advantage of a battery of advanced technology, our Overland Shirt is the ultimate warm-weather trekking, walking and travel shirt.

It’s made from a supremely functional blend of polyamide and polyester which combines a surprisingly light weight with reassuringly high levels of abrasion and tear resistance.

It also offers a very good (UPF40+)* level of protection from the harmful effects of UV radiation.

Our expedition-proven Dynamic Moisture Control™ treatment wicks moisture in a flash and ensures the shirt feels cool and comfortable next to your skin. Not such a big deal in Britain – but absolutely essential in the Tropics.

The shirt’s been treated with our advanced, and very durable, BiteGuard™ finish which minimises both insect landings and bites.

Washing the shirt is a simple matter of dunking it in a bucket of water and hanging it up from the nearest branch – clever Dryloops™ in the hem mean you can leave the clothes pegs at home. And, if all you’ve got in your camp ‘laundry’ is a nail in the wall, you can just hang the shirt from the locker loop stitched into the rear yoke. It’ll comfortably dry overnight and, needless to say, it doesn’t require any ironing.

The shirt features two chest pockets which are secured with buttons. Behind one of the chest pockets is a generous security pocket which is closed with a vertical zip.

The whole shirt is constructed using our Minimum Layer Construction™ techniques to maximise breathability, reduce weight and increase comfort.

*A Note on Sun Protection

All Rohan garments which carry our sun protection icon, have been tested in accordance with recognised international standards for ultraviolet radiation protection. As a guide to the level of protection offered to covered areas, garments are awarded a rating of either UPF 20+ or UPF 40+. Protection may be significantly reduced with extended wear or if the garment is stretched or wet; the reduction of associated health risks will vary with other factors such as skin type or individual medical history.

Fabric: 71% polyamide, 29% polyester with BiteGuard™ and DMC™.
Weight: 240g
Pack Size: 760ml
Drying Time: 2 hours

I like White Sierra Gobi Dessert Shirts. The synthetic fabric breaths, is vented, wicks perspiration and dries quickly. It is basically wrinkle proof. And provides additional UV protecation if the shirt is new. I actually am making myself a shirt out of technical fabric because I am short with short arms and I can't find one in a petite arm length. Here are my specs:

Vented back
No pockets over the boobs :eek: (or anywhere else for that matter as I don't use them)
Sun flaps for the tops of my hands. (I saw these on a shirt recently when I was shopping. They fold out and cover the gap between hands and light weight gloves (I use polls and wear very light biking gloves to cover my hands and the flap adds some additional coverage)
Light weight. Some of the tech fabric is heavier than you would think. I just ordered some that is 2.9 oz per sq
Ah, very interesting. I sew and would like to know where you purchased "technical fabric?" Thanks.

Rohan Men's Overland Shirt
Taking advantage of a battery of advanced technology, our Overland Shirt is the ultimate warm-weather trekking, walking and travel shirt.

It’s made from a supremely functional blend of polyamide and polyester which combines a surprisingly light weight with reassuringly high levels of abrasion and tear resistance.

It also offers a very good (UPF40+)* level of protection from the harmful effects of UV radiation.

Isn't that just marketing hype?

http://www.decathlon.co.uk/uv-500-mens-ls-top-black-white-id_8301461.html

Factor 50. How much does any of this matter? 50 is 2% transmission. 40 is 2.5%.

A simple basic cheap throw away white tshirt is factor 4 (?) 25% transmission. Get a different colour and the factor triples or so.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
If it's for summer I'd stick to linen. Cotton is too hot for much of the summer. Plus linen looks normal/good wrinkled.

I've worn cotton on many Caminos with no problem. A lightweight or gauze cotton is perfect. Technical fabrics, in my experience, begin to stink horribly after a few weeks, and the smell never goes away. But that's just my personal choice :)

Ah, very interesting. I sew and would like to know where you purchased "technical fabric?" Thanks.
S Brown -- I got it from a wonderful little shop online -- The Rainshed out of Ashland Oregon. Its little and the people who work there are sewers and outdoors people so they can answer lots of questions on the phone. They will send you samples very inexpensively and they are very fast. Here is their site: http://www.therainshed.com/. I also called Outdoor Wilderness Fabrics in Boise ID (http://www.owfinc.com/fabrics.html). Like Rainshed they were great, they just did not have as good of a selection of colors in what I wanted. There are a couple of other fabric sites to look at:ite: Seattle Fabrics (http://www.seattlefabrics.com/), and Rockywoods (http://www.rockywoods.com/) . Each has slightly different stuff. I also just made a lightweight fleece vest out of Polartec 100. I am sewing mine out of 2 ply suplex nylon that is quick dry and breathable. They also have choices on mesh for the venting. I made a model out of some posh lining fabric and got my pattern adjusted the way I want. I'm starting to sew this weekend. If you message me, I can give you more info. Liz

Oh dear, here we go, grumpy Tincatinker again.

Best shirt? One you own and can wear. Best technical shirt? One that you can afford and wear. As most of it is knocked-up in the same sweatshops from the same base fabrics from ICI or DuPont there is no such thing as "best" - at best there is a distinction in cut and fit that may be reflected in Brand and style but probably isn't and anyway requires some personal experimentation. My beloved, sweat stained, but still functional .... bugger you nearly all got me naming there ....

I offer no disrespect to the OP or to any of the lovely members of this forum who have offered opinion and recommendation. I just found myself thinking here we go again... best shirt, best shoes, best Albergue, best Camino. And when that Camino goes awry will it be the shirt, the shoes, the Albergue or the pilgrim.

Our need for comfort, assurance, guarantee is the greatest challenge and threat that the Camino faces. Perhaps it is time we all just started walking.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I bought a men's HellyHanson "heat gear" long sleeve t shirt and have used it kayaking and hiking. It's extremely light weight and cool and quick dry. It has a crew neck and is nice and baggy so it works well over a tank if needed but keeps me cool and covered.
I wasn't thinking of carrying a tank! They always seem a bit cumbersome in cities, and well beyond my personal load limit :rolleyes:

Thank SY. I think I'll get spanked in a bit but hey...
You shouldn't. Your objections have been raised recently here, and I have much the same view. We can tell people from our own experience what we found to be GOOD, and perhaps we might want to share what we felt was BAD, but it appears to me that none of us are in any position to say what might be best.

it appears to me that none of us are in any position to say what might be best.

Doug nobody mentioned " best" except Tincatinker unless I missed it - most (all?) have proffered what worked for them as has been usual in equipment threads -

nevertheless I do agree pursuit of the optimum, the best, is too subjective to be meaningful

K

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Doug nobody mentioned " best" except Tincatinker unless I missed it - most (all?) have proffered what worked for them as has been usual in equipment threads -

nevertheless I do agree pursuit of the optimum, the best, is too subjective to be meaningful

K
You are correct that it wasn't raised earlier. I was responding to @Tincatinker's concern. This thread has been pretty good on the good, better, best issue.

Op here. Thanks to all who chose to respond in a positive manner. As someone who is prone to sun poisoning and foresee this possibility derailing my camino, I appreciate your thoughtful responses regarding what has worked for you. For those who are annoyed by yet another question regarding shoes, gear, clothing, transportation, etc., I wonder if the better approach would be simply to avoid these threads… :)

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Does anyone have any experience with the Patagonia Sol Patrol shirt? (I need something for walking through the desert on the Pacific Crest Trail, not camino).

Rohan would be my second choice.

Thanks & Buen Camino!

Kat

Kay, I tried one on because it seemed perfect--light airy. The hip were sng to button and arms were too long. If it fits you it seems loke it would be perfect. Liz

Consider a long sleeve shirt made from an old time cotton weave called "searsucker". Been using this for many years. Lightweight, cool to wear yet blocks the intense sun, and dries very quickly. No odor buildup like the synthetic fabrics suffer from.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
We have a saying here, one many of you have probably heard, Cotton Kills. When walking in wet and/or cold conditions cotton can become wet with rain or perspiration and can cause hypothermia very fast, it has caused more than a few hill walkers to loose their lives over the years so whatever brand you decide on, and how much you want to pay, cotton as a material would not be one I would recommend for the Camino or any type of trecking or hill walking.

We have a saying here, one many of you have probably heard, Cotton Kills. When walking in wet and/or cold conditions cotton can become wet with rain or perspiration and can cause hypothermia very fast, it has caused more than a few hill walkers to loose their lives over the years so whatever brand you decide on, and how much you want to pay, cotton as a material would not be one I would recommend for the Camino or any type of trecking or hill walking.

I was taught the same thing up in Alaska, synthetics and wool were the best for wet conditions.

Does anyone have any experience with the Patagonia Sol Patrol shirt? (I need something for walking through the desert on the Pacific Crest Trail, not camino).

Rohan would be my second choice.

Thanks & Buen Camino!

Kat

I use the mens version of this shirt, I wear one when I go the the deserts in CA/AZ/NV, works well and dries fast. 6pm.com has them on sale.
http://www.mountainhardwear.com/wom...tive&prefv2=UPF+Protection&prefv1=022&start=0

http://www.6pm.com/womens-clothing~...DMABAeICBQEYAgML.zso?s=recentSalesStyle/desc/

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.

Most read last week in this forum

Hello, I'll be starting the Camino soon and my best option is to buy shoes in either Pamplona or SJPP. I will be leaving Pamplona on a Sunday at noon and arriving at SJPP around 2pm. My question...
Hello beautiful community; I’m starting my camino in exactly 7 days (May 8 - June 21 = 45 days) I’ll be doing FRANCES + SALVADOR + PRIMITIVO . Here’s my final packing list (excluding basic...
I am new on the forum, though I have followed it for years in anticipation of walking. Twice planned, twice cancelled. Once again, I have bought tickets and my daughter and I hope to walk del...
Has anyone used the phone service "Holafly" during their Camino? Apparently it is a phone plan which eliminates the high cost of roaming charges and international phone plans offered from many...
Hi, I start my Camino from Oviedo on Sunday the 23rd of June. I was hoping to buy some hiking poles from the Decathlon store, but it doesn’t seem to open on a Sunday, nor do the other hiking...
Hello all. I am planning my first camino end of May. fly into Porto and head north. I plan on staying in Albergos and had a few questions. Should I being my own towel? How far in advance do I...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.