• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Long pants and long sleeves in summer? Smart or big mistake?

Roma247

Time of past OR future Camino
June 2024
Hello all, planning my first Camino for this June/July and my big question regards the wisdom of different philosophies of clothing.

I've spent a summer in Greece, where it was 120F (48C) in the shade, and long sleeves and long pants, both lightweight linen, were how I survived that. But then again I wasn't walking all day carrying a pack...

I find that I suffer more having arms and legs baking in the sun with shorts and short sleeves...whereas though long sleeves and long pants may keep some heat in, they spare you the pain of the sun damage.

So my question has two prongs:

1. Will I bake in long pants and long sleeves, or are there others who have found this more comfortable, even in the hot summer?

and...

2. What fibers do you recommend if doing this? I went to REI and they showed me some long sleeve high performance button downs made of synthetics, with vents and whatnot, but they look like sweat factories. Then there are long sleeve merino wool shirts... and lastly, my beloved linen, which I fear may chafe or be otherwise very uncomfortable beneath my pack straps.

And pants too... linen? wool? lightweight synthetic?

What suggestions do you veterans have? Would love all sorts of feedback. I am definitely an aficionado of natural fibers, but I just want to be sensible, both from a standpoint of long-term comfort (not roasting or chafing) and practicality (lightweight to carry). (And there's always washability and smell too...)

I am pretty good with sewing, so I could make things if any of you makers out there have suggestions too!

Thanks in advance for any advice!

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Hello all, planning my first Camino for this June/July and my big question regards the wisdom of different philosophies of clothing.

I've spent a summer in Greece, where it was 120F (48C) in the shade, and long sleeves and long pants, both lightweight linen, were how I survived that. But then again I wasn't walking all day carrying a pack...

I find that I suffer more having arms and legs baking in the sun with shorts and short sleeves...whereas though long sleeves and long pants may keep some heat in, they spare you the pain of the sun damage.

1. Will I bake in long pants and long sleeves, or are there others who have found this more comfortable, even in the hot summer?

and...

2. What fibers do you recommend if doing this? I went to REI and they showed me some long sleeve high performance button downs made of synthetics, with vents and whatnot, but they look like sweat factories. Then there are long sleeve merino wool shirts... and lastly, my beloved linen, which I fear may chafe or be otherwise very uncomfortable beneath my pack straps.

What suggestions do you veterans have? Would love all sorts of feedback. I am definitely an aficionado of natural fibers, but I just want to be sensible, both from a standpoint of long-term comfort (not roasting or chafing) and practicality (lightweight to carry). (And there's always washability and smell too...)

I am pretty good with sewing, so I could make things if any of you makers out there have suggestions too!

You are smart to ask this question. I walked the Frances in May in 2022 and there was plenty of hot weather. I wore LONG sleeves and pants to prevent sunburn and for a bit of warmth in the cool mornings. Shirt of 53% cotton, 47% polyester. Shoulder/back vent. BC Clothing brand, purchased at thrift store. Sleeves with velcro tie so they could neatly roll up when desired. Wore convertible Patagonia pants. 60% polyester, 30% nylon. Both very cool , never sweaty. Both dried quickly.

I have always worn long sleeves while walking - but with shorts. My shop-bought hiking shirt got severely torn and was wearing through in a number of spots after my last camino. Usually I like to mend things, but it also "shrunk" in the wash, so I decided a new one was in order. I am in the process of transitioning my wardrobe to handmade and so it only seemed consistent to make my next shirt. I have chosen a light cotton lawn in a splotchy pattern that will not show the dirt easily! Of course we are told to avoid cotton, but it is so light it dries very quickly. I have made the sleeves wide enough to fold or push up should I want to, and long enough to cover my hands when walking with poles. No buttons to pop open or rub against my pack straps. I am about one evening's worth of stitching away from done (yes, I'm stitching by hand) then I will make linen shorts and a fleece zipped vest. This is NOT your typical hiking attire - in fact last time I walked it seemed that an awful lot of people had switched to wearing tights, but I think it is good to find what works for you.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Being very fair, I have issues with sun damage. Hoping to go to Spain again later this year I have hit upon a compromise. I will wear long sleeved tops, and shorts.
I cant bear even the idea of long pants, so I'll have to stick with sunscreen on legs. And I have been unable to find tops with loose long sleeves, I couldn't stand wearing long fitted sleeves, so I will make myself some. I'll try some really lightweight merino in a light colour, and also a lightweight synthetic quick dry mix or a light cotton - I'll see which works out.
I've also toyed with the idea of buying a T shirt in a quick dry fabric, and replacing the sleeves in a looser style, again maybe in a light cotton.
I think a lighter colour may be cooler, although it will show the dirt more.

Last edited:
Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I am of tan/olive skin tone and have never had a sunburn, but even with that advantage, I have swapped to wearing longsleeve shirts/sun hoodies and a wide-brimmed hat if I'm going to be out in the sun for any substantial length of time. And of course sunscreen on the face. I tend to run hot so I was worried that I'd just overheat with long sleeves, but I've found many of my sun hoodies are actually reasonably cool to wear. Now I just wear sun hoodies year-round when I'm outside. Really versatile item.

In Arizona on a 12-day camping trip where I hiked in the relentless sun, I wore a Patagonia Capilene Cool Daily Hoody and a sun hat. Advantages: felt cool enough; no sunburns. Drawbacks: synthetic so it smells bad more quickly than merino wool; no official UPF rating.

At home, my various rotations of sun hoodies include:

- Smartwool Active Ultralite Hoodie

- Wuru Nuyarn Merino Lightweight Hoodie

- Icebreaker 125 Cool-Lite Sphere Merino Long Sleeve Hoodie

- Arc'teryx Lana Merino Wool Hoody

I like all of these. The one coming on my Camino is the Smartwool Active Ultralite. It's the coolest and flowiest of them all. Very delicate though (extra light gsm Merino wool). I would have taken the Capilene again because it's more durable, but I'm afraid of smelling bad to my fellow pilgrims!

I walked through massive heat in '22 (for several months) and did a few other summer Caminos. In my opinion:

1) Longer sleeves are definitely a good idea on very hot, sunny days. Especially if you're light skinned and not used to the heat. Not only for protecting your skin, but also for preventing dehydration.

2) I wouldn't use synthetic fabrics.

For summer walks, I love very lightweight, soft cotton (or cotton/linen blend). Usually cotton is not a good material for hiking purposes, but in hot, dry summers, it's fantastic. Soak it in water from time to time. Really helps to cool down. You can do that at any fountain or river. A loose fit feels better than a tight fit, in my experience.

I love merino and that's usually what I prefer, but in summer I like to replace one merino shirt with a long sleeve cotton one (for very hot days and for the evenings in the albergue). Merino works well, also, but doesn't stay wet as well as cotton when soaked. Usually that's exactly what you want (=fabric that wicks moisture / sweat quickly) but in summer sometimes the opposite actually works better (at least for me).

Also those very lightweight very loose/wide cotton pants, a bit like yoga pants...? No idea what to call them! They're very comfortable in the heat. On colder days they work well for relaxing in the albergue in the evening and as pyjama pants. Where I live you can buy them for ~15€ in all kinds of colours and patterns.

I've also used a lightweight, long cotton dress. Really nice especially for the evenings.

Certainly a hat. Or at least a soaked buff on the head or something like that!

Last edited:
I always wear long sleeves and pants to protect my skin and tattoos from the Australian sun. In Egypt (early October), I covered up with a linen long-sleeve but it did sweat a lot. I'm looking into vegan blends for a suitable hiking shirt that can be washed and dried quickly.

Another option might be getting a t-shirt you like + adding some UPF50+ detatchable arm sleeves - I have a pair from Solbari.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
long sleeves and long pants, both lightweight linen, were how I survived that.
Personally I think you're really answered the first of your questions. If you think of any of the traditionally hot countries of the world such as India or Egypt; or desert dwellers like the Bedouin, it's always long, loose flowing clothing. And linen is an excellent choice.

I have no idea how it would stand up to backpack straps. Probably no worse than 100% Merino wool. ( Which I personally love).

The only thing with linen is that it doesn't dry as quickly as some of the synthetic alternatives. But then in really hot weather the best thing is to saturate your clothing at every water source you come to, the evaporation will help significantly to cool you off. So not drying too quickly could be advantageous.
This is somewhere where traditional tie dying might come in order so everything doesn't look horrible with all the sweat and water stains!

Merino wool wicks the sweat away much better than cotton or linen for example. But it then tends to hold it rather than it evaporating away as readily as cotton or linen does. And it's the evaporation you want.
Often when we have Merino we have it more close fitting, whereas in this instance you want loose flowing clothing. You could carry one Merino shirt as an underlayer in case of cold weather, but I'm not sure it would be warranted. Something to consider though.

A quick Google search as to what they make Saris of showed a bunch of fabrics but I have no idea how suitable any of them are to you personally. Something for you to do research on.

As to the ready made synthetic shirts etc available in the sports shops, sorry I can't help as I prefer natural fibre.

By the way @Roma247 , one thing nobody's yet mentioned - I'm surprised! - is also adding a lightweight hands-free sun umbrella. Yes I know it's not long sleeved clothing but in addition to the above you may well find it beneficial. As I'm a sun-lover they're not my cup of tea (at least not yet), but many here on the forum swear by them for the type of situation you are describing.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I walk in long sleeved shirts and trousers. Materials have varied little over the years. I have wool blend base layer tee-shirts, and have some other items with wool blend compositions. Shirts and trousers are generally a polyamide fabric, sometimes with bamboo rayon. My driving consideration is sun-protection. In that context, I also wear sun protection mitts, a medium brimmed hat or carry an umbrella and wear sun-glasses. Clothing is just one part of the overall scheme to minimise the exposure risks.

A disturbing sight ; one I will never forget , is that of the calves of two young Norwegian pilgrims I tended to along the way . Not what you may think though !
I could describe them both as ' fairer than fair ' and totally unaware of the strength of Spanish UV ( fortunately this didnt happen in Australia).
Burnt badly while wearing shorts on one day they wore long trousers the next . The chafing rubbed what little skin was left off completely , leaving horrifying open and weeping sores . Their Camino finished then and there . Avoid the pain and wear long pants in the sun from the outset .

Last edited:
Loose , nylon long sleeved hiking shirt with air vents at the sleeves. Nylon long pants. I found the hiking long pants from Katmandu to be cooler than the Decathlon hiking pants but both were quick dry and washed brilliantly. I wore a broad,brimmed hat, wore cycling gloves to protect my hands and to use
with walking poles and carried a small, folding umbrella for both the heat and rain. I also had a short and long sleeved merino wool T-shirt and nylon shorts.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
We always wea
… In that context, I also wear sun protection mitts, a medium brimmed hat or carry an umbrella and wear sun-glasses. Clothing is just one part of the overall scheme to minimise the exposure risks.
Agree! I always wear polyester light weight pants, long sleeve capeline shirts, a wide rim hat with neck protection and now always silk gloves…even in Spring! I had to have two suspicious brown spots removed from my hands two years ago by the dermatologist…and I am sure it was from repeated caminos without gloves. So do consider, as Doug reminds us, the need for a comprehensive system of sun protection!

Btw, I honestly don’t understand the worrying about fashion on the camino? (Not meant to offend) Or stains for that matter!? As long as one washes their clothes and tries to keep the smell to a minimum. And one is walking in a country with opportunities to replace an item if it is torn, destroyed, stolen or if it is so unbearable to wear that it needs to be replaced.

Last edited:
My only questions are:

1. Can you wash linen? Can you machine wash it, for those days when you're too worn out or arrive too late or stay in a place without permission to do laundry in the sink?
If not, it's gonna get ripe - fast. You will eventually lose your ability to smell yourself, but no one else will.

2. How are you with chafing? Both skin on skin, and skin against fabric?
I don't wear either cotton or linen (loose or tight) or skirts for that second reason. And I find that merino wool make me itch...even socks. Try before you come.

3. While many things can be bought on Camino, if you're not in the popular size ranges, they'll be much harder to find/ afford. For examples, my wrist is over 7 inches ( goodbye tight sleeves), i think i have about a 40" chest, excluding mammary glands, I'm 5'7", and have trouble with XL pants, depending upon the manufacturer. Some styles yes, some no. And let's not start talking about shoes....:)

BL: Try your chosen clothes for 2 consecutive days of hiking with a pack, and see what works for you.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.

and...

Try outdoor activity - fishing shirts. Colombia make a line of long sleeve, high SPF / UVA protection outdoor activity shirts. The sleeves roll up and fasten with a tab.

I usually wear one as an outer cover over a t-shirt or polo on the plane, on the way over. Then it gets packed away as an expedient sun-cover for Mestea walking, or on a chilly evening. It works just fine. One will be enough. But, you will need at least two if this will be your daily go-to shirt.

Personally, I prefer the plaid / checked designs as they coordinate with more colors and are more 'dressy" IMHO for evening - apres Camino, or rest day wear.

Hope this helps.

Tom

@Roma247, I'm making an assumption that you are a woman based on you mentioning that you have sewing skills. That means to me that you would at least be[I am assuming that you will, no matter your gender, be] interested in reading about the long Macabi skirts that many women on the forum love. [How's this edit @David?] You can use the forum's search engine to look for threads that have Macabi in the title or you can click on this link to get the temporary page of the results of my search.

@Anniesantiago has a webpage on the Macabi with pictures here:

Last edited:

Smart to ask questions.

I used convertible walking pants (100% lightweight syntetics) on my CF in 2019 and my CP last year.
Preventing severe sunburn on the back of calves and knees on the CF. I was converting them on late afternoon the first 10 days (or so), that my skin would tan more and more. After a few days of tanning you probably could walk in shorts all day, depending on the sensitivity of your skin. Many pilgrims had sleepless nights because of sunburn (nights at Puente de la Reina and Burgos were no fun) , of course they used protection, but you do sweat a lot in summer and you have to reprotect very often. On the CF you have the sunshine most of the day on your back.

Same, but different on the CP coastal, where you walk near the beaches. The sun will shine on your back after midday. I was happy with my convertibles. For the afternoon and evening in the Albergues I had shorts at hand.

Wool and linen are not recommended by me, to much to care about at washing. Merino for baselayer and T-shirts and syntetics for the rest works best for me.

Have fun and BC!

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
My answer is both. Both long and short sleeves/legs are worth taking.
Try and buy clothing that wicks away your sweat and dries very quickly after washing.
Merino wool underwear works very well.

Take minimal items, wash regular, every day works for me. The quick drying stuff will be dry in an instant during an afternoon in summer temperatures.

The knock on gain is that your pack will be lighter. You’ll not be so fatigued.

Pack light, start early, finish early, get the laundry done …..and relax.

I walk in long sleeved shirts and trousers. Materials have varied little over the years. I have wool blend base layer tee-shirts, and have some other items with wool blend compositions. Shirts and trousers are generally a polyamide fabric, sometimes with bamboo rayon. My driving consideration is sun-protection. In that context, I also wear sun protection mitts, a medium brimmed hat or carry an umbrella and wear sun-glasses. Clothing is just one part of the overall scheme to minimise the exposure risks.
Good point about the mitts.…especially when using poles. Your hands are up high sometimes facing the sun. If protected they can quickly burn. I wear sun gloves that look something like cycling gloves.

By the way @Roma247 , one thing nobody's yet mentioned - I'm surprised! - is also adding a lightweight hands-free sun umbrella. Yes I know it's not long sleeved clothing but in addition to the above you may well find it beneficial. As I'm a sun-lover they're not my cup of tea (at least not yet), but many here on the forum swear by them for the type of situation you are describing.
At last someone mentions the umbrella!
And I have always worn long pants and longsleeved shirts made of very thin polyester fabric, both very losefitting. I think whatever you wear it only protects you from direct sun light, reducing the heat somewhat, but it will be hot nevertheless. Which is why, under my umbrella, I still cover my head with a buff to stop the sweat running down my face from my hair down my front behind the glasses along the nose etc etc. But that is a different subject. Waiting for the day they manage to have airconditioning under the umbrella…

Can you wash linen? Can you machine wash it, for those days when you're too worn out or arrive too late or stay in a place without permission to do laundry in the sink?
Yes.

It can shrink if it is washed too hot or put in the dryer, but normal machine wash at 40°C is no problem.

That shrinking problem could also be solved if the fabric would be washed hot before sewing / making clothes from it.

Bed linens traditionally often were made from linen (as the name says) and washed hot, sometimes even "cooked" for hygienic reasons. It's not a very delicate fabric. It was very common for everyday clothes for thousands of years - back in a time when people often used the same set of clothes for many years. So, a good quality linen fabric should be very durable.

The more often you wash it, the softer it gets :)

I always wear long sleeved technical/running tops with thumb loops to cover back of hands and full length bottoms of same material. Combined with wide brimmed hat, I only need SPF 50 on my face and neck. Worked very well in 35°C+ degree heat and never felt hot or sweaty.

I wore a similar top on the VdlP last year, and it was comfortable. I generally prefer shorts or a skirt in hot weather, so can't comment on the pants.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I wear long sleeve shirts and long pants for summer hiking. I have tried the "fishing shirts" and also the shirts advertised as being of cooling material. I usually wear the convertible pants. One hack I discovered is unzipping part of the leg allows for a bit of ventilation. My pants also have ankle zips to aid removing leg bottoms without removing hiking shoes. If I unzip these when hot, I also get a cooling breeze and the flapping of the opening is a bit like a fan!

and...

On my first long Camino, I wore a very lightweight long sleeved cotton shirt and trousers, bought in a hippy type shop back home, costing about £15 apiece.
They were light, dried quickly, packed small, and kept the baking sun at bay. I alternated these with running shorts and a technical top. They worked as good as anything else would imo....
I also looked fantastic 😃
I never felt them lacking, although when it got wet and chilly, preferred the alternatives I carried.

I wear long sleeve cotton blouses, and loose, long polyester trousers. All easy to wash, quick to dry. I do have a turtle neck jersey shirt to wear under my blouse on cold mornings, but often take it off as the day progresses.
These are just blouse I have had for a while. The pants too. No real reason for me to buy extra hiking clothing when they work perfectly for me.

I had zip off pants on my 1st Camino and hated the feel of the zipper on my legs. Plus, I never zipped them off.
I have seen some horrible burns on legs and arms. Very ouchy.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!

and...

I have mostly walked with shorts and a short sleave skirt. However, the scorching sun allways on you left side ( French way ) can be too much. Heavy sun lotion and long pants and sleeves can be advisable especially on the meseta. Broad brim hat is a must.

I always wear long sleeves and pants made out of synthetic material with UV rating. Traveling off the Camino, I use long sleeve shirts and pants made of linen and silk blends. Don't take them on the Camino due to longer drying times and weight. Also wear a brimmed hat and carry a lightweight sun umbrella.

I wear Old Navy StretchTech pants all summer and I wore them on the CP this fall in 30-35C full sun every day with no regrets. Unfortunately they aren’t making a practical style right now (Palazzos? Really?). The fabric is mostly polyester with a little Lycra (I think) for stretch. It’s VERY lightweight like silk. It dries SUPER fast and I had no odour problems. I’m looking for a long sleeve shirt in same material.
My CP walking partner wore a long sleeved linen shirt every day and she loved it. It didn’t always dry overnight but it was not unpleasant to wear a damp shirt in that heat and she didn’t feel the need to wash it every night. She also carried a German hiking umbrella that she loved. She’s heat and sun sensitive and we were not expecting it to be so hot in October so these two items made her Camino possible.

A good question and one I have been pondering recently, mainly due to the rapid increase in skin cancer.

I have always worn short sleeved and shorts (once a kilt), hat and umbrella but my DNA is Viking so the sun and me, we don't get on too well really .. I have also been looking at clothing around the world in hot countries and they invariably cover up - but loose, not our form fitting western styles.

I would say don't cover up with synthetic - bad move. With boiler suits, they are mainly synthetic but the companies recommend lightweight cotton ones for summer as cotton naturally breathes so is much better than synthetics.
Dickies, a famous brand, say about their light cotton boilersuits "lightweight cotton coveralls are a fantastic alternative to polycotton overalls. This boilersuit is made from 100% cotton making them very durable and tough whilst keeping the wearer cool in hot conditions, an ideal choice for anyone working in hotter climates."
So seems to me that if the pros say cotton, I go with that - but loose for sure.

@Roma247, I'm making an assumption that you are a woman based on you mentioning that you have sewing skills.
o_O:eek::D - steady now, is 2024, not 1824 .. I am male and have sewing skills - I learnt all that at sea and any ex sailor (or ex soldier) will have 'sewing skills'. I repair and/or alter my own clothing, alter curtains to size, not a female in sight ;)

Last edited:
The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
o_O:eek::D - steady now, is 2024, not 1824 .. I am male and have sewing skills
Ah, but you have given me other clues about how you might react to a post about skirts. Avatar and other pictures, forum name, known wearer of kilts, and, even better than a clue, you give your gender on your profile page. For @Roma247 I have only the sewing clue.

Tell you what though, I'll go back and do a bit of editing to my post.

Ah, but you have given me other clues about how you might react to a post about skirts. Avatar and other pictures, forum name, known wearer of kilts, and, even better than a clue, you give your gender on your profile page. For @Roma247 I have only the sewing clue.

You make a very good point.

Most of the posters here which I follow turn out eventually to be women (or whatever the politically correct designation is these days); however profiles often give no clue.

Mrs HtD says not to concern myself about it, as it’s the natural order of things.

As a male apparently there are three stages to life (if one ignores Jacques speech - just to root out the intellectuals): carry stuff; don’t get in the way; die.

We always wea

Agree! I always wear polyester light weight pants, long sleeve capeline shirts, a wide rim hat with neck protection and now always silk gloves…even in Spring! I had to have two suspicious brown spots removed from my hands two years ago by the dermatologist…and I am sure it was from repeated caminos without gloves. So do consider, as Doug reminds us, the need for a comprehensive system of sun protection!

Btw, I honestly don’t understand the worrying about fashion on the camino? (Not meant to offend) Or stains for that matter!? As long as one washes their clothes and tries to keep the smell to a minimum. And one is walking in a country with opportunities to replace an item if it is torn, destroyed, stolen or if it is so unbearable to wear that it needs to be replaced.
I second all of the above. Remember you’re walking west most days and given the Spanish time zone most of the time the sun will be behind you. Long shirt sleeves can be rolled up, but I normally keep them down to prevent sunburn. Other than arms, the most vulnerable spots for sunburn are the back of the neck, (wide brim hat and cotton bandana work here), back of the legs where lots of sunscreen should work, the backs of your hands, where light weight gloves with 1/2 the fingers cut off work well.

Stay covered.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Wear long pants and long sleeves. And a hat.
Best option is hiking clothes. UPF 40 or 50. Ideally breathable nylon (the stuff specially for hiking that feels like normal fabric). Or thin, tightly woven pure cotton. (If you can see through the weave, the sun can penetrate too.)

Nylon repels oil which means sweat doesn’t absorb and therefore you avoid ‘perma stink’. If possible get something with permanent anti-odour treatment built in - e.g. Polygiene. My nylon Macpac hiking shirt has this. Less washing needed too - good for the planet.

I avoid polyester because it doesn’t repel odour.

Non-stretchy, loose and thin hiking pants are cooler in terms of over heating.. I tested this in Egypt last year.

Last edited:

Everyone was commenting on my umbrella and why I would have it stepped to my pack when it wasn’t raining. That is until they saw me walking with it open during the masetta.

Attachments

• IMG_2007.jpeg
    IMG_2007.jpeg
    3.9 MB · Views: 35
  • IMG_3901.jpeg
    IMG_3901.jpeg
    2.6 MB · Views: 34
Hola & G'Day,
As one who comes from the Melonoma country sun protection is paramount. This is the advice our dermatologists are now providing regardless of ones skin type. The two skin cancer professors who were named "Australians of the Year - 2024" made some interest comments on white/pale skin rather than a healthy tan (oxymoronic??)
There are a number of lightweight fabrics that will provide the sun/skin protection you require and which also allow your skin to "breath". The umbrella option is also highly recommended, Ivar sells a style which can be attached to your backpack or body belt. A hearty and healthy Buen Camino.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.

My point was that sewing skills is not a gender specific thing - unless someone, for instance, thinks of men as being mechanics and women being seamstresses?

Last edited:

and...

I lived for years on the Arabian Peninsula and it was no mistake that the folks there cover up. The men need not cover up for modesty's sake; they do it block the sun and keep moisture in. We are so blessed to have wicking clothing these days.

Last September we walked the Camino Podiensis. For the first two weeks, there was burning sun and 90 degree days...uncharacteristically hot. As we plodded forward, we continually passed by young people sprawled out under a tree to cool off and get their strength back. Ah...the wisdom of age...

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc

and...

I pretty much always wear long pants on Caminos, even (especially) in the height of summer. I agree that they can be cooler, shading your skin. As I mentioned in another thread, my choice has been Columbia Silver Ridge tech fabric zip-convertible pants (although I very very rarely transform them into shorts.

I also bring a long sleeve shirt, but it isn't quite as comfortable, so I tend to wear short sleeved shirts more frequently while walking. Maybe I just need to find the right material and fit.

It was hot and sunny for 13 days of my Camino Portuguese from September to October last year. I walked in shorts for the first 2 days and back of my legs got terribly burnt as the sun was behind. I have to give up shorts for the rest of the time. I normally don't walk in shorts in the UK since I can't stand the nettles. Short sleeve shirts were ok. My arms were used to the sun more than my legs. I applied sun block though.

No, statistical probablity. Also my mentioning the assumption explicitly should have at least hinted that I was aware of other possibilities.
Haha well I'll solve this for you fellas, so that there's no need to worry. ;):cool: I am indeed female, I agree that you are right about the statistical probability, and most of all I'm grateful for the recommendation of the skirts, because that is 100% right up my alley and I think it may have solved the question for me. I'm going for the Macabi! (Ideally I'd love it if it were linen, and I'm tempted to make my own knock off, but I'll save myself the time and trouble because it sounds lighter and easier to keep clean...)

I'll probably go for long sleeve merino on top, and/or maybe a long sleeve linen shirt to layer on chilly mornings if needed, or to mix it up if not.

But this really narrows it down for me, which is exactly what I was hoping for. I'm so thankful for all the great advice from all the veterans here! Thanks a million!!!

and...

On the various pilgrimage routes there are many churches and shrines to visit. I feel it's disrespectful for a man to enter a religious place in shorts. For this reason and to prevent sun exposure I wear long pants. I do not like convertible pants. It is possible to get lightweight pants for reasonable prices.

When only wearing an inner layer (the layer closest to your skin) because of warm to hot temperatures, an inner Layer with long sleeves acts to protect the skin on your arms from the effects of direct radiation of the sun's UV and infrared radiation, preventing sunburn. This is also helps keep you cooler. Long sleeves do not allow the skin to bake in infrared heat. This is one strategy of desert dwellers to help stay cooler.

When I backpacked across Death Valley, I wore loose-fitting, lightweight, long sleeve shirts. This not only protected me in the ways mentioned above, but it also allowed for increased airflow, however minor, thru the garment to help with cooling airflow.

Keeping the sun off the head and neck is also a help with cooling. My favorite for that is a baseball style hat with a wide and longer attached cape dangling down the back of the hat. I have one such hat that was a cheap baseball cap made of a cotton twill and a tea-towel that I velcroed to the back side hats lower edge. Cost maybe 15 dollars to make.

And nowadays I also will use a backpacking sun/rain umbrella that can attach to my backpack's harness for hands-free walking. Nothing like having portable shade following you around. :)

and...

Wear gloves as well, white ones or light weight merino.
Also linen and cotton clothes are definitely out as they hold the sweat. Socks the very worst. Merino or synthetic or blends to avoid blisters. Some feet can sweat a cup of liquid!!
Start very early, say 6 am and stop by noon. Peak heat in Spain is around 2pm.
Be smart and well prepared
Happy Mark

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I have always worn long sleeves while walking - but with shorts. My shop-bought hiking shirt got severely torn and was wearing through in a number of spots after my last camino. Usually I like to mend things, but it also "shrunk" in the wash, so I decided a new one was in order. I am in the process of transitioning my wardrobe to handmade and so it only seemed consistent to make my next shirt. I have chosen a light cotton lawn in a splotchy pattern that will not show the dirt easily! Of course we are told to avoid cotton, but it is so light it dries very quickly. I have made the sleeves wide enough to fold or push up should I want to, and long enough to cover my hands when walking with poles. No buttons to pop open or rub against my pack straps. I am about one evening's worth of stitching away from done (yes, I'm stitching by hand) then I will make linen shorts and a fleece zipped vest. This is NOT your typical hiking attire - in fact last time I walked it seemed that an awful lot of people had switched to wearing tights, but I think it is good to find what works for you.
I completed two caminos in lawn shirts that I made. They were perfect.

I pretty much always wear long pants on Caminos, even (especially) in the height of summer. I agree that they can be cooler, shading your skin. As I mentioned in another thread, my choice has been Columbia Silver Ridge tech fabric zip-convertible pants (although I very very rarely transform them into shorts.

I also bring a long sleeve shirt, but it isn't quite as comfortable, so I tend to wear short sleeved shirts more frequently while walking. Maybe I just need to find the right material and fit.
You could wear sun protection sleeves. Cooling too.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.

and...

The sensible thing to do is to cover your skin to stop getting burnt or sunstroke, you get merino wool or alpaca wool sun hoodies which are designed to protect you from the sun, they also keep you cooler as they are very efficient at wicking the moisture away from your skin and the antibacterial qualities stop it smelling so it doesn't need washed as often, you don't need to use as much sun block only on hands and face.

I use to wear a longsleeve silk top , (dark blue as there is a certain transparancy). It dries within a few minutes and it is very lightweight.

You are smart to ask this question. I walked the Frances in May in 2022 and there was plenty of hot weather. I wore LONG sleeves and pants to prevent sunburn and for a bit of warmth in the cool mornings. Shirt of 53% cotton, 47% polyester. Shoulder/back vent. BC Clothing brand, purchased at thrift store. Sleeves with velcro tie so they could neatly roll up when desired. Wore convertible Patagonia pants. 60% polyester, 30% nylon. Both very cool , never sweaty. Both dried quickly.
Little point in me making a separate post except to say that the make of my clothing was Craghoppers.
if you have fair northern skin like me you need a sun screen fabric to stop the skin from being damaged.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
I use to wear a longsleeve silk top , (dark blue as there is a certain transparancy). It dries within a few minutes and it is very lightweight.
transparent fabric is unlikely to have a very high sun protection factor -though would probably feel nice against the skin.

and...

I generally wear shorts, but always a sun guard long sleeve shirt to protect my arms without having to keep applying sunscreen while walking ( which is a bit gross smeared with sweat and road dust...lol ) The sun shirts dry ultra quick and are not hot at all ) In addition, they're smooth like tee shirts with no bulky seams, pockets, buttons etc which can be irritating under a sweaty backpack. There are UPF protective fabrics at both REI and Columbia, as swell as other brands on Amazon.

That's what I wore and what I plan to wear when i walk in May next time. Long clothes protect better and can keep you cooler if you choose the right fabrics. However, my issue wasn't so much the warm, as the cold in may last time heh. Nonetheless, when i was in the military long pants and shirts were normal and they worked well too. Just look for moisture wicking fabrics, fast drying, etc. as it is the evaporation that keeps you cool

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Long sleeves and trousers and a big hat purpose designed for keeping you cool and protected.
I have one pixie ear and a big scar on my forehead where sun damaged bits were cut out.
You wont know at the time it is years later the damage becomes apparent.

and...

I use the Columbia Silver Ridge Lite long sleeve shirts. They can be rolled up to become short sleeved. Ive hiked in very hot and humid weather, both on and off the Camino and have never been uncomfortable. In addition to being comfortable, they are odor resistant and very quick drying. And, they have maximum sun protection.

I have also used the REI version. Its a bit more tailored and substantial but i have found that it works well too.

The back vents don't make a difference when you ate wearing a pack but do work well otherwise.

My wife has tried a variety of sun hoodies and long sleeve shirts but they have been too warm for her. The best was Patagonia Capilene but that too was not as cool as the Columbia shirts.

I mostly hike in shorts and use a Columbia cargo pocket short. They are cool, lightweight, and dry very quickly.

I have done some hiking recently with Teren Traveler Pants which i love but have not done any warm weather hiking in them yet. But i love them so far.

and...

I wear lightweight high wicking technical fabrics, long sleeve and long pants, I find it keeps me cooler and reduces risks of sun exposure.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-

and...

I'm much better with long sleeves and long pants or capri length. I'm a big fan of Kuhl's light weight hiking material. REI has some good ones as well.

I've worn this on multiple hot weather hikes: https://www.kuhl.com/kuhl/womens/long-sleeve/sojourn-ls/?color=Light Khaki. You can roll up the sleeves and button them. When I came back from my last Camino, I bought another identical one. I really dislike having the sun on my shooulders. For me 3/4 length sleeves are great, but they are really hard to find!

I also have 2 pair of their Trekr capris. https://www.kuhl.com/search/?q=kapri. The Trekr comes in both long pants and capris. I took a pair of capris and an REI zipoff. I used the pants in the morning and sometimes in the evening, I zipped off the bottoms. They were lightweight. I didn't think they looked as nice on me as Kuhl, but they were less expensive. The shorts were really nice.

Just get lightweight and light colors and you'll be fine in long sleeve/pants, especially if that's what you are used to.

I bought sun protective sleeves which were a good compromise - when I was really really hot I dunked them in a water fountain and then put them on - pure bliss! It meant I could still travel light with short sleeve tops, and also wear them on a chilly morning - peeling them off once I warmed up. I tried to find ‘legs’ but my research suggested they don’t stay up / so I stuck with shorts. But it was my arms that got really hot & not my legs - so it was all good. 👍🙌

and...

Wow! I hate the heat and walk with as little clothes as I cam

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.

and...

I would recommend a sun hoodie with upf50 .
I like walking with shorts but last 3 Camino I bring https://www.patagonia.com/product/m...?dwvar_24540_color=NUVG&cgid=mens-pants-jeans

and...

I don't like sunscreen. I think it clogs my sweat pores and makes me hotter. I always wear long sleeve shirts and long pants year round. It's important to wear lightweight and breathable fabrics. I'm not a huge fan of wool (other than for socks) because in the summer it can get a bit warm. Instead, I like a special fabric that Patagonia uses in their higher end lines called "Capilene". Here's a link to an example: https://www.rei.com/product/166710/patagonia-capilene-cool-daily-graphic-long-sleeve-shirt-mens

Capilene is 100% recycled polyester with some sort of fabric softener and order control treatment. It's very sheer and comfortable on the skin, wicks amazingly well, and dries very quickly hanging to dry while on the trail. I wear it in layers in the winter, sometimes with a wool T-shirt over it for warmth.

For pants, I like and only wear REI's Sahra Convertable Pants: https://www.rei.com/product/202030/rei-co-op-sahara-convertible-pants-mens. It very lightweight, has lots of pockets to store stuff, and can be converted to shorts if that is your desire (I rarely do). It also dries very quickly when left to hang after washing.

I don't like sunscreen. I think it clogs my sweat pores and makes me hotter. I always wear long sleeve shirts and long pants year round. It's important to wear lightweight and breathable fabrics. I'm not a huge fan of wool (other than for socks) because in the summer it can get a bit warm. Instead, I like a special fabric that Patagonia uses in their higher end lines called "Capilene". Here's a link to an example: https://www.rei.com/product/166710/patagonia-capilene-cool-daily-graphic-long-sleeve-shirt-mens

Capilene is 100% recycled polyester with some sort of fabric softener and order control treatment. It's very sheer and comfortable on the skin, wicks amazingly well, and dries very quickly hanging to dry while on the trail. I wear it in layers in the winter, sometimes with a wool T-shirt over it for warmth.

For pants, I like and only wear REI's Sahra Convertable Pants: https://www.rei.com/product/202030/rei-co-op-sahara-convertible-pants-mens. It very lightweight, has lots of pockets to store stuff, and can be converted to shorts if that is your desire (I rarely do). It also dries very quickly when left to hang after washing.
Like REI,Outdoor Research, Union Bay and Columbia climbing/hiking pants. ExOfficio also makes a convertible lightweight cargo pant that has a built in bug repellent. Have worn at least one of these on various Caminos. All dry very quickly and are SPF 50. On the first 500 miles of the VF I quickly switched to long pants every day as there was a fair bit of walking through tall grasses and shrubs on parts of the trail. My Scot/Irish ancestry sort of mandated long sleeves so I wear Outdoor Research, REI and some other cheap brand of hiking hoodie that covers everything but my face. OR also makes a cap with a detachable neck cape that is lightweight and perfect for head protection. I’m on my third cap as they do tend to wear out after 1000 miles and daily rinsing. YMMV.
Buen Camino

I bought sun protective sleeves which were a good compromise - when I was really really hot I dunked them in a water fountain and then put them on - pure bliss! It meant I could still travel light with short sleeve tops, and also wear them on a chilly morning - peeling them off once I warmed up. I tried to find ‘legs’ but my research suggested they don’t stay up / so I stuck with shorts. But it was my arms that got really hot & not my legs - so it was all good. 👍🙌
Which sun sleeves did you use?

You can roll long sleeves up; you can’t roll short sleeves down.

Learn from the Aussies and be sun-aware.
Same with long pants. I have walked CF summer, spring and fall. Columbia capilene (polyester blend I think) ultra light long sleeve tee weighs about 3 oz. LL Bean Cresta Hiking pants Nylon/Spandex blend with 4 zippered pockets for security plus 2 regular weighs about 10 oz. Kafia made from microfleece towel or silk scarf to cover neck and face on a superbright afternoon walking into the sun. Remember most of the world's armies march in heavy duty long pants and shirts carrying many times the weight of a Camino pack.

Same with long pants. I have walked CF summer, spring and fall. Columbia capilene (polyester blend I think) ultra light long sleeve tee weighs about 3 oz. LL Bean Cresta Hiking pants Nylon/Spandex blend with 4 zippered pockets for security plus 2 regular weighs about 10 oz. Kafia made from microfleece towel or silk scarf to cover neck and face on a superbright afternoon walking into the sun. Remember most of the world's armies march in heavy duty long pants and shirts carrying many times the weight of a Camino pack.
I do agree with you, but most soldiers are in their prime (20s).

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-

and...

I have gone exclusively to lightweight wool since my 8th Camino. I wear a merino wool sun shirt most of the time. I do wear shorts but needed protection some days from one leg being burnt. With merino you can go a few days without washing. Love it. My synthetic shirts can have a lingering oder even after washing.

and...

I’ve done Porto to Santiago twice, in late March and in a warmer early September. Both were mostly sunny and September was unusually warm. I opted for long sleeves and pants for sun and bug protection, in tandem with a floppy hat and had no regrets. My preferred pants are ll bean cresta hiking pants and I also highly recommend Columbia Men's PFG Tamiami II Long Sleeve Shirts. No sunburn, lightweight, and easy to clean-dry.

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
I do agree with you, but most soldiers are in their prime (20s).
I think solbari is pretty good and have several of their tops. I love your suggestion of seperate long solbari sleeves, particularly the ones with thumb holes. Ill get some . Thanks!

Smart to ask questions.

I used convertible walking pants (100% lightweight syntetics) on my CF in 2019 and my CP last year.
Preventing severe sunburn on the back of calves and knees on the CF. I was converting them on late afternoon the first 10 days (or so), that my skin would tan more and more. After a few days of tanning you probably could walk in shorts all day, depending on the sensitivity of your skin. Many pilgrims had sleepless nights because of sunburn (nights at Puente de la Reina and Burgos were no fun) , of course they used protection, but you do sweat a lot in summer and you have to reprotect very often. On the CF you have the sunshine most of the day on your back.

Same, but different on the CP coastal, where you walk near the beaches. The sun will shine on your back after midday. I was happy with my convertibles. For the afternoon and evening in the Albergues I had shorts at hand.

Wool and linen are not recommended by me, to much to care about at washing. Merino for baselayer and T-shirts and syntetics for the rest works best for me.

Have fun and BC!
Isn’t Merino wool?

and better mixed with a synthetic fibre to give it strength - and it’s very lightweight too. 👍🙌
Yip, all my Merino baselayers and T's are 85:15 blends. 15% of synthetics to make it more durable, especially when you are "on the walk".

We are all different and we get used to things. I live in England and as soon as the summer warms, I live in shorts. For my summer months Caminos, I bring a pair of shorts and a pair of convertible trousers, so I can vary but prominently wear shorts, making sure to apply factor 50 to the tops of my calves. I also bring, one T-shirt and a lightweight long sleeved expedition shirt and alternate the two. If my forearms begin to burn, over days, on goes the long sleeved shirt. Don't forget a hat with a brim. Very easy to get badly sunburnt on the back of the neck, so again, wide brim hat and collar up on the expedition shirt if the sun becomes intense, particularly around the middle of the day. If it isn't too sunny, T-shirt can suffice. Ps. Many writers mention REI. This must be a Stateside thing. The expression "Outdoors shop/store" is universal.

Materials?
Maybe a polyester T-shirt with silver content. Shirt - polyester. Everyone showers every day and you can wear a roll-on deodorant for confidence. I only wear socks, underwear, T-shirt, expedition shirt for 2 days. Wash them as soon as you get in, hang them on the line and all things being equal, they'll be dry by the morning.

Each to their own.

Buen Camino 👍

I walked in long sleeves, polimer, vented shirt "craghoppers walking shirt"
Zip off trousers cargo type fast drying.
Steer clear of cotton.

Yes to long sleeves and long pants, for several reasons. Your skin will be protected without the need for sun screen, which has significant downsides, speaking as a physician. You will be more comfortable in a wide range of temperatures, especially high temperatures in the sun. I stick with nylon Columbia sportswear vented shirts and light weight nylon pants with good UV protection. Nylon doesn’t pick up smells, unlike polyester, and dries quickly, We carry one extra similar shirt and pant.

If my forearms begin to burn, over days, on goes the long sleeved shirt.
I would be concerned that at that point, your skin has already suffered considerable damage, which will accumulate. Coming from a country which struggles with skin cancers, I prefer to wear long sleeves and trousers when in Portugal and Spain. Short sleeves and short trousers might work in countries further from the equator, but aren't my choice on the Camino.

I wore shorts majority of the time for both of my summer caminos. I had one long sleeve that I wore often for sun protection - the sun can be intense and there are some long exposed stretches. I purchased my long sleeve shirt from FreeFly - it was a bamboo material - wicking, temp regulation, did not hold odors, quick drying, able to layer easily.

Regarding sun protection, I use biking gloves, but don’t see them on other hikers. I first started wearing them to pad a bruise caused by the hiking pole straps and discovered other benefits; sun protection, warmth when it’s cold, and preserved finger dexterity. They have been a regular part of my kit for decades, and only left one pair behind, drying

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
I have a friend who used fingerless biking gloves on the Camino. She said she did it to protect her aging hands from brown/sun spots like her mother had.

As someone who lives in a country with a scorching sun in summer, I dress like this...........
If there is a cool breeze I pull up the long sleeves for a bit.
But I also carry lightweight gloves.
Sunburn is not fun.........
Shirts, socks, underwear are Merino.

I tried 'tech' synthetic shirts on my first Camino.
It was like wearing a plastic bag!
No airflow, no wicking, lots of sweating!
Maybe just a bad brand? :rolleyes:

€46,-
We are all different and we get used to things. I live in England and as soon as the summer warms, I live in shorts. For my summer months Caminos, I bring a pair of shorts and a pair of convertible trousers, so I can vary but prominently wear shorts, making sure to apply factor 50 to the tops of my calves. I also bring, one T-shirt and a lightweight long sleeved expedition shirt and alternate the two. If my forearms begin to burn, over days, on goes the long sleeved shirt. Don't forget a hat with a brim. Very easy to get badly sunburnt on the back of the neck, so again, wide brim hat and collar up on the expedition shirt if the sun becomes intense, particularly around the middle of the day. If it isn't too sunny, T-shirt can suffice. Ps. Many writers mention REI. This must be a Stateside thing. The expression "Outdoors shop/store" is universal.

Materials?
Maybe a polyester T-shirt with silver content. Shirt - polyester. Everyone showers every day and you can wear a roll-on deodorant for confidence. I only wear socks, underwear, T-shirt, expedition shirt for 2 days. Wash them as soon as you get in, hang them on the line and all things being equal, they'll be dry by the morning.

Each to their own.

Buen Camino 👍
Thanks for the explanation so I guess that means a REI is an outdoor shop? Why call It an REI is that a brand name?

Most read last week in this forum

I realize every ounce matters when carrying backpack and not shipping luggage ahead. However, I know that the Spaniards are big into meat and potatoes, and not so much produce. I am thinking of...
Hola, I gearing up to start my 1st CdS and have seen people recommended sleeping bag liners to protect against bed bugs. Do these help or is it a myth? Should I add the extra weight of bringing one?
I’ve been stressing about charging my devices, so just want to make sure. I have this 4port Powered USB hub which I’m connecting to an adapter to fit European (at least Spain, since I know it...
So I have heard common wisdom is to bring a silk liner for your Camino (+/- a sleeping bag depending on your preference and season). Specifically regarding silk liners, all of the ones I've...
Michael @wisepilgrim had mentioned a new feature that he was developing for Wise Pilgrim, and it looks like it is now in operation. You can check the app and see in real time how many beds are...
Hi! I am 15 days out from my Camino, and suddenly my Buen Camino app is crashing every time I try to look at my stages! I have rebooted my phone, done the "restore app" within the app, rebooted...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.