Replacement bus service Bayonne to SJPD

2018 edition Camino Guides

Basicoro

Camino(s) past & future
April 2017
Hi all , any ideas on how to get from Bayonne to SJPD with a fully loaded bike , as I am trying to book my train ticket from Calais but the section between Bayonne and SJPD is a replacement bus service as they is ongoing maintenance work on the track, not sure if the bus could accommodate, or any ideas on alternative routes that may have been tried, Im planning on arriving on 08/04, many thanks

Advertisment

mspath

Veteran Member
Donating Member
Camino(s) past & future
Frances, autumn/winter; 2004, 2005-2006, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015
Hi all , any ideas on how to get from Bayonne to SJPD with a fully loaded bike , as I am trying to book my train ticket from Calais but the section between Bayonne and SJPD is a replacement bus service as they is ongoing maintenance work on the track, not sure if the bus could accommodate, or any ideas on alternative routes that may have been tried, Im planning on arriving on 08/04, many thanks
Why not just bike from Bayonne to SJPdP? The distance is roughly 50 km. See this Google map for a route.
https://goo.gl/maps/gUvcXhpCvWS2

W

whariwharangi

Contact SNCF, the service provider for information about your baggage on the train and the bus.

I don't see that you'll have a problem getting the gear to Bayonne ...

If SNCF bus doesn't carry your gear, your only options from Bayonne are Express Bourricot, a private hire taxi based in SJPdP or hire a local taxi.

If that doesn't work consider riding the bike. Google Earth shows paved shoulder.

biarritzdon

Veteran Member
Donating Member
Camino(s) past & future
CF011, CF012, CP013, CF014, CA015, S. Anton015, CF015, CI015
Ditch Pig016, CF017 CP016 CN(017)
It is a safe and not so heavily traveled route. There are some great places to stay along the way not far off the route like Espelette which is famous for it peppers.

Advertisment

Jan_D

Camino(s) past & future
Aragones (2011)
Frances (2012)
Norte (2013, 2014)
Hospitalera (2014)
Portugues (2017)
According to similar questions on SNCF faqs, it all depends on the type of bus being used - but not sure how far in advance they'll have this info. I've done this trip by 'autocar' before and recall the bus had a lot of storage underneath, but you never know. The official answer given to a pilgrim a couple of years back is as vague as you might expect, but you might have some luck if you "contacter TER Aquitaine" by following the link provided:
http://questions.sncf.com/questions/692426-autocar-prend-velos-bayonne-st-jean-pied-port

Basicoro

Camino(s) past & future
April 2017

Basicoro

Camino(s) past & future
April 2017
Many thanks for all your replies, I'm booked to travel down on Friday the 7th now, a day earlier as l couldn't get my bike on the train for the Saturday there was no space. I've ordered a book and some maps from the site shop and having read through some of the previous posts I'm now rearing to go, just got to decide on wether to take my mtb bike or my tourer. Buen camino