• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Requesting your help on my research project - a digital community of walkers

Katey Jay

Time of past OR future Camino
Past: Frances, Norte
Future: Primitivo
Hi Pilgrims!

I have posted very rarely on this forum but am a keen follower/lurker ;)

I am an anthropology student from Stockholm who is beginning some initial research for what will form my thesis about the camino (later in my studies) but right now I am doing a short preparatory study on the digital community or 'community in spirit' surrounding the camino. I feel this forum is a great place to understand the digital relationship that can develop with the camino a little better.

I as an example, found this forum by chance after I had finished walking my first camino and I feel it has prolonged my connection to the way and let me perpetually enjoy the camino spirit through the experiences of all of you. It also has helped me practically to prepare for my second and third caminos in recent years. I can see that some of you have joined the forum before you start your walks, some that perhaps join and use it in real time (during their walk), a potentially some like myself who have joined after their journey.

I'd like to gather some information with the help of any members who feel they'd like to contribute. You can answer the questions below in this thread, or copy and paste in a private message to me if you prefer to stay private. All entries (whether posted publicly or privately to me) will be presented as anonymous in my research findings.

Thank you for your help if you decide to reply! I look forward to getting a better picture of how we all find ourselves in this digital community of walkers.

Here are some questions:
  1. When did you join this forum (before, during or after your camino)?
  2. Why do you think you were drawn to a digital community of pilgrims like this one?
  3. How long have you been actively using this forum?
  4. How often do you find yourself engaged in this forum (can be as simple as browsing posts)? (Please be a specific as possible eg. twice a week, once a year)
  5. What it is that keeps you engaged in this digital community?
Any other comments about your relationship with this digital community? Anything that you can reflect on about your relationship to this community will be helpful.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Hello, I wish you the best for your research, but what about ethical approval for doing this research? Please provide more information.
Hi Tingeling!

Thanks for bringing this up :)

My work is for a small preparatory project for a digital ethnography course at Stockholm University. Because it is under the teaching and learning banner, and there is no intention of publishing the data, I understand that ethical approval is not required. The assignment is simply meant to provide some initial experience in the field and I am using it as inspiration for my thesis which will start officially in two years. Any data collected here will not be included in the bigger project if I go ahead with the subject.

I’ll also double check with my lecturer just to be extra sure. Hope this information helps!

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
1. Before
2. Research for Camino
3. 6.5 years
4. Daily
5. Keeping a connection with peregrinos (Community)

Last edited:
Hi Pilgrims!

I am an anthropology student from Stockholm who is beginning some initial research for what will form my thesis about the camino (later in my studies) but right now I am doing a short preparatory study on the digital community or 'community in spirit' surrounding the camino. I feel this forum is a great place to understand the digital relationship that can develop with the camino a little better.

I as an example, found this forum by chance after I had finished walking my first camino and I feel it has prolonged my connection to the way and let me perpetually enjoy the camino spirit through the experiences of all of you. It also has helped me practically to prepare for my second and third caminos in recent years. I can see that some of you have joined the forum before you start your walks, some that perhaps join and use it in real time (during their walk), a potentially some like myself who have joined after their journey.

I'd like to gather some information with the help of any members who feel they'd like to contribute. You can answer the questions below in this thread, or copy and paste in a private message to me if you prefer to stay private. All entries (whether posted publicly or privately to me) will be presented as anonymous in my research findings.

Thank you for your help if you decide to reply! I look forward to getting a better picture of how we all find ourselves in this digital community of walkers.

Here are some questions:
  2. Why do you think you were drawn to a digital community of pilgrims like this one?
  4. How often do you find yourself engaged in this forum (can be as simple as browsing posts)? (Please be a specific as possible eg. twice a week, once a year)
Any other comments about your relationship with this digital community? Anything that you can reflect on about your relationship to this community will be helpful.
1. After
2. Engaging with folks outside my normal ‘culture’ over a common interest.
3. Two years
4. Several times daily.
5. Again communicating from folks outside my normal sphere over a common interest.

1. Before
2. Information
3. 12 years
4. Depends. Daily (ish) when planning, walking and for a few weeks after when any info I have my be useful. Then only monthly until I get the itch to walk again.
5. Community and info (2 ways)

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
  1. When did you join this forum (before, during or after your camino)? Before
  2. Why do you think you were drawn to a digital community of pilgrims like this one? First hand knowledge of the way in preparation for someday walking too.
  3. How long have you been actively using this forum? Long time lurker - July of 2016
  4. How often do you find yourself engaged in this forum (can be as simple as browsing posts)? (Please be a specific as possible eg. twice a week, once a year) Daily
  5. What it is that keeps you engaged in this digital community? See # 2

Last edited:
  2. Why do you think you were drawn to a digital community of pilgrims like this one? Easy access to first-hand information
  3. How long have you been actively using this forum? On and off for 12 years
  4. How often do you find yourself engaged in this forum (can be as simple as browsing posts)? (Please be a specific as possible eg. twice a week, once a year) atm almost daily (currently planning a Camino) after a 10 year hiatus
  5. What it is that keeps you engaged in this digital community? Connection to the Camino while I can’t actually walk (because of work commitments)

1. Before
2. My every question had been discussed and answered from many different experiences.
3. 8+ years
4. 5-7 days per week
5. To share my experiences and learn about my next camino.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
1. Before
2. Information / Preparation
3. 8 years
4. Daily
5. Positivity and good will of this community forum. Sharing of information and opinion. I collect and flag pertinent info as it pertains to the next Camino I would hope to do.

Hi Pilgrims!

Here are some questions:
After. I wanted to plan another and process what I did. 2022, I think? Multiple times a day, now that I'm less than 40 days from #2. There are some very thoughtful people on here, with a lot of study and research under their collective belts. There are also people on here with a very dry sense of humor. Occasionally, they're the same person. 😉

1 : After
2 : Information, and to benefit from the experience of others
3 : 2019
4 : Daily, I read new posts over the day.
5 : Enjoyment of all things “Camino”, the excitement of new walkers, the enthusiasm and knowledge of fellow walkers sharing their experience, and for the opportunity to refresh my own memories. So enjoyable.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Hi Pilgrims!

Here are some questions:
My first Camino is this October. I found this forum and joined right away in early June of this year.
I was drawn to the forum as a source of information about the Camino and how to better prepare for the trip.
I engage with the forum daily, seldom responding, mostly looking for answers to specific questions.
I stay engaged because the forum provides a wealth of information derived from personal experiences. It is an excellent source of first hand knowledg and is entertaining as well.

Hi @Katey Jay

here you go ...
  1. After my second or third camino - not sure
  2. The site came up in results when I was googling for some information and it looked like a great resource.
  3. About 7 years ? but have taken extended breaks from the forum.
  4. It varies, depending on how much spare time I have. For the last few months, daily.
  5. Interest in the experience of others. Interest in less travelled routes. Opportunity to contribute information on routes I've walked - but I don't offer advice unless it's asked for.
I wish you well in your research. And, I see your next Camino will be the Primitivo. Love that path. Buen Camino.

Last edited by a moderator:
Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
BEFORE
2 Why do you think you were drawn to a digital community of pilgrims like this one?

MOST OF US ARE REASONABLY SENSIBLE AND UNDERSTAND THE NATURE OF PILGRIMAGE IN ALL ITS NUANCES

How long have you been actively using this forum?
8 YEARS

How often do you find yourself engaged in this forum (can be as simple as browsing posts)? (Please be a specific as possible eg. twice a week, once a year)

MULTIPLE TIMES DAILY (I know 🤦‍♂️)

What it is that keeps you engaged in this digital community?

Always learning, occasionally supporting...

Wow, thank you to everyone who has contributed in the thread and by private message so far. It’s so helpful for my project to be able to collect your perspectives and I’m so happy to hear that most of you are as nerdy as myself (being on here almost daily 🤓)

We all have so much passion for this thing, it’s quite extraordinary ❤️

1. When did you join this forum (before, during or after your camino)? I joined after my first one but have done many other routes since and have repeated sections.
  2. Why do you think you were drawn to a digital community of pilgrims like this one? It's the feeling of sharing a bond, an interest. IT's that sense of belonging and sharing something I love.
  3. How long have you been actively using this forum? About 5/6 years
  4. How often do you find yourself engaged in this forum (can be as simple as browsing posts)? (Please be a specific as possible eg. twice a week, once a year) I ususally check every couple of days and comment when i have something to add.
  5. What it is that keeps you engaged in this digital community? I find out things i didn't know which can help in planning my next trip and I like to be able to help where I can or support someone else's point.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
  2. Why do you think you were drawn to a digital community of pilgrims like this one? This forum provided me with a wealth of information before I went on my first Camino last year. Now that I'm a "veteran", I can relate to the questions better, and have even been able to provide some responses of my own. Also, it keeps the Camino spirit alive in me.
  3. How long have you been actively using this forum? A little less than two years.
  4. How often do you find yourself engaged in this forum (can be as simple as browsing posts)? (Please be a specific as possible eg. twice a week, once a year) Daily.
  5. What it is that keeps you engaged in this digital community? Just that... it's a community of like-minded people with shared interests, and I like being part of it.

Here are some questions:
Hi Katey Jay
Good Luck with your project!

1. In 2011 when I planned my first Camino, and didn't exactly know where to go.
2. Access to a wealth of experience and being able to have specific questions answered.
3. Since 2011 but I haven't posted much. The forum has helped me to make decisions about which part of Camino to walk to next and has provided me with vital information e.g. itineraries. It is much more reliable than a printed travel guide because it kind of auto-updates
4. The closer I get to planning my next holiday, the more often I visit the forum, searching for inspiration and nurturing my wanderlust. The forum sends out daily emails about yesterday's most read topics - I look at these every day of the year but only visit the forum if an interesting subject is mentioned. To be specific: one or two months prior to my next Camino: almost daily. At other times once a week or two.
5. This is as little a 'digital community', as I am a digital being! The way I see it, the technology of the internet is a blessing that allows one to form connections and profit from a wealth of knowledge and experience no generation before was able to.
The Camino is alive and happens all year round and this forum allows me to stay in touch. The Camino is older than any of us and will still be here once we are all gone. It somehow grounds me to be part of this tradition and I accept it because the Camino does not have rules or expectations for attendance. It is just there for me whenever I want it/need it.
I love the Camino because it always provides what is necessary as long you approach it with respect, and this forum, from my experience, is the same.

Last edited:
The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Hi Pilgrims!

Here are some questions:
1: before. 2: a wide range of experiences, english speaking. 3: 4 years 4: once per week, sometimes twice 5: sometimes there's a new slant on a theme, and sometimes I can offer help

1. Before
  2. Curiosity at first. Then, seeking information.
  3. Not active, been lurking for about a year.
  4. Daily. More if I find interesting threads.
  5. Knowledge and getting a better idea of what to expect on the camino.

Hello, I wish you the best for your research, but what about ethical approval for doing this research? Please provide more information.
I don’t see a problem with allowing people to volunteer information. But hopefully (1) no names or other personal identifiers will be published¹ and (2) the recipient understands that volunteers on this forum is not a statistically random sample.

¹of course, if you post it here, you’re already not anonymous!

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Hi Pilgrims!

Here are some questions:

Hello Katey,

What a fantastic project! I joined it after my caminos. As a very slow walker, it took me three trips to complete the Camino. I was delighted to find this digital community as a way to reflect on the three trips, contribute to the knowledge pool, and plan for the next one. I have been actively reading it for about a year, and browse daily, because it feeds my soul. The engagement question relates to my high school Spanish teacher, who did the Camino in the 1950's. He said that people have been walking the Camino for a thousand years, that people were on it that day, and people would walk it in the future. I was 14, and his discussion of the Camino opened my eyes to the continuity of history, as well as a desire to walk it. It took me 50 years, but I finally did it, which has enriched my life ever since.

1. After
2. To stay connected to my Camino experience through the experiences of others. And also to occasionally provide some feedback or input. Initially it was to find another pilgrim I had met early in my Camino and lost touch with. (I found him!)
3. 7 years. Like you, mostly as a lurker.
4. Usually weekly when the "Most read topics from the Forum" email comes out. I love scrolling through what others have found most engaging, sometimes enough to even comment myself. I will often spend about an hour on this very enjoyable diversion.
5. Pretty much the same answer as #2. Sometimes the posts take me right back there, to specific places, times and memories. It fills my heart and soul. And provides inspiration to get out there and do it again!

Hi Pilgrims!

Here are some questions:
1. Before.
2. Research and preparation for Camino.
3. About 6 months.
4. Virtually every day.
5. I am trying to gather knowledge of Spain in general and specifically asking for any tips to improve my journey. Just as important is to engage with my fellow pilgrims.

Thanks, Katey Jay.

Hello Katey,

What a fantastic project! I joined it after my caminos. As a very slow walker, it took me three trips to complete the Camino. I was delighted to find this digital community as a way to reflect on the three trips, contribute to the knowledge pool, and plan for the next one. I have been actively reading it for about a year, and browse daily, because it feeds my soul. The engagement question relates to my high school Spanish teacher, who did the Camino in the 1950's. He said that people have been walking the Camino for a thousand years, that people were on it that day, and people would walk it in the future. I was 14, and his discussion of the Camino opened my eyes to the continuity of history, as well as a desire to walk it. It took me 50 years, but I finally did it, which has enriched my life ever since.
He sound like an amazing teacher! Thank you for you thoughtful reply :)

Thanks again for all your input guys! Glad I could get some of you fellow lurkers out of the shadows for a comment 😎

1. Before. The knowledge shared by the community here helped me in my planning.
  2. It was the first one I found and the members all seemed very genuine, supportive and helpful.
  3. 8 years.
  4. Daily.
  5. It helps me learn about other routes I might want to walk, whilst allowing me to share my own experiences where they might be useful to others.

Most read last week in this forum

In the Guardian. Interesting "Letters to the Editor..." https://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/2024/apr/18/a-modern-pilgrimages-transformative-power?CMP=Share_AndroidApp_Other

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back