• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Research Opportunity

dblitzer

Hello,

My name is David Blitzer and I am a junior at the College of William and Mary in Williamsburg, Va. I am currently seeking individuals aged 60+ to take part in a study of the physiological effects of participation in the Camino along the Camino Frances. Our group would be performing the journey from mid-May to the end of June. If anyone has any interest in participating or has any questions about the study, please feel free to email me at dblitzer@wm.edu.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Yes please!!!
If you pay for my airfare, I'll join you! I don't eat much and am happy to sleep on the floor.
(I've become quite forward and cheeky since turning 60!)

Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
David,

I was at the Williamsburg gathering of pilgrims a few weeks back. ALthough I won't be on Camino until October...may I suggest you look into Sillydolls background.

There are few folks who have accomplished more in their lifetime concerning: personal fitness, general/specific knowledge of the Camino, positive attitude and support for others. Sil is a Camino Treasure!

regards,
Arn

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Falcon indicated:The annual meeting moved this year from Williamsburg to Florida

While correct about the "annual" gathering of pilgrims...the "regional" was held in Williamsburg. We had members from up and down the Mid-Atlantic region.

Our host was Otis and Phyllis Haislip (otis.haislip@gmail.com).

The College of William and Mary has a very successful training program for students headed up by George Greenia (gxgree@wm.edu). New and veteran walkers of the Camino were invited to attend. Here's the syllabus for the program:

Hispanic Studies 389-02
George D. Greenia, Wash 229, x13676
Pilgrimage in Spain, Spring 2010 gxgree@wm.edu, MW 3-5

This class starts during the 2nd week of the term and last nine weeks. We meet in Washington Hall 306. Attendance is mandatory for all classes; syllabus below may change.

Pilgrimage in Spain is taught in English and explores the phenomenon of pilgrimage transculturally and more specifically the Camino de Santiago, a medieval heritage route in northern Spain that's been reclaimed by hundreds of thousands for spiritual and cultural reasons. A growing number of W&M faculty and students have made this historic 500-mile trek. In addition to studying the history and varieties of pilgrimages both medieval and modern, the course also prepares students for the practicalities of getting ready for the actual trip if they wish to go: clothing, backpacks, logistics and physical conditioning. It is a prerequisite for those wishing to join the 6-week W&M summer study abroad trip in May & June. Additional independent study credit hours are available.

texts: Linda Kay Davidson & David Gitlitz, Pilgrimage: from the Ganges to Graceland: an encyclopedia, Swem Reference area BL619 .P5 D38 2002 / Diana Webb, Medieval European Pilgrimage (Palgrave, 2002) / American Pilgrim magazine, entire issue / Edward Stanton, Road of Stars to Santiago (Lexington, KY: U of Kentucky Press)

January
27 Introduction to course: What’s pilgrimage? What’s the Camino de Santiago?
Davidson & Gitlitz, “Introduction” and articles on “Activities During Pilgrimage”, “Activities in Preparation for Pilgrimage”, “Activities Prohibited During Pilgrimage”, “Criticism of Pilgrimage”, “Life as Pilgrimage”, “Motives for Pilgrimage”, “Sacred Space”
February
3 Webb, Medieval European Pilgrimage, Intro, Chaps. 1-2
10 Diana Webb, Medieval European Pilgrimage, Chapter 3-4; Davidson & Gitlitz, articles on “Santiago”, “Jerusalem”, “Mecca”, “Greek Religion and Pilgrimage”, “Tourism as Pilgrimage”, “Secular Pilgrimage”; propose topic for final Oral and Written project on some aspect of Pilgrimage
17 Diana Webb, Medieval European Pilgrimage, Chapter 5. Hand in Reaction paper on Webb; American Pilgrim, entire issue
24 Edward Stanton, Road of Stars to Santiago, Part One; hand in summary of contents and draft of handout for final Oral and Written project on some aspect of Pilgrimage
March
3 Real Pilgrims: Wm & Mary student pilgrims: Jake Milnor, Mary, John Squires. Ed Stanton, Road of Stars to Santiago, Parts Two and Three.
10 Spring break
17 Readings on Blackboard from Christian Century. Hand in reaction paper based on student pilgrim presentations. Brennan Harris: “Training for Trekking”, a research physiologist on how to understand your own body.
24 Oral reports w/ handouts on Aspect of Pilgrimage. Hand in reaction paper on Stanton.
31 Wrap-up class. Hand in final Written Report or Portfolio.
Grade Calculation

Participation, mandatory attendance for all 9 classes 10%
Three reaction papers with critical assessment
1000 words analyzing any one chapter of Webb 15%
1000 words assessing presentation of modern student pilgrims 15%
1000 words analyzing any one section of Stanton 15%
Oral Report on Aspect of Pilgrimage
propose topic by February 10 by e-mail; hand in summary of contents 20%
and draft of handout February 24; oral reports in class on March 24
Written Report / Portfolio on some Aspect of Pilgrimage 25%
hand in report (standard final paper) or portfolio of 10-15 pages by March 25
TOTAL 100%

As you can see it's quite comprehensive.

The course meets 4-5:20 pm on Wednesday in Washington Hall 306 and started Jan. 27 and lasting nine weeks.

So, as you can see, there's an active pilgrim community in the region and W&M is in forefront of bringing all aspects of the Camino to us.

Buen Camino,

Arn

Most read last week in this forum

The Burguete bomberos had another busy day yesterday. Picking up two pilgrims with symptoms of hypothermia and exhaustion near the Lepoeder pass and another near the Croix de Thibault who was...
Between Villafranca Montes de Oca and San Juan de Ortega there was a great resting place with benches, totem poles andvarious wooden art. A place of good vibes. It is now completely demolished...
Just an FYI that all available beds are taken in SJPDP tonight - fully, truly COMPLETO! There’s an indication of how busy this year may be since it’s just a Wednesday in late April, not usually...
Left Saint Jean this morning at 7am. Got to Roncesvalles just before 1:30. Weather was clear and beautiful! I didn't pre book, and was able to get a bed. I did hear they were all full by 4pm...
Hi there - we are two 'older' women from Australia who will be walking the Camino in September and October 2025 - we are tempted by the companies that pre book accomodation and bag transfers but...
We have been travelling from Australia via Dubai and have been caught in the kaos in Dubai airport for over 3 days. Sleeping on the floor of the airport and finally Emerites put us up in...

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back