• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Reservations at Orrisson

billvinhage

Time of past OR future Camino
SAINT-JEAN/SANTAIGO (2013)
BURGOS-SANTIAGO (2015)
SAINT-JEAN/SANTIAGO (2016)
I'd like to stay at Orrisson on Friday August 23rd.
I filled in the contact form about a week ago on their website with no.answer.
Today I called and a managed to have an English conversation with someone who said I needed to email, she then had to go as it sounded busy.
What is the normal turnaround on this? Does anyone have an email other than the contact form on the website? Is no answer a "no" an I should get used to the idea of the full mountain on day one or do I just need to be a bit more patient?

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
I am also trying to book for 28 may.
I read the refuge has just 18 beds, I guess they must be inundated with requests daily and may have a system of only replying to near future requests?
I also read they are managing another albergue a mile earlier on the path.
On another blog I read a pilgrim turned up without reservation and as it was full they were given a tent.
It is a little frustrating, their booking system seems unmanageable as there are lots of similar comments about this.
Im going to keep trying and if without a reservation on the day, just hope I will be accommodated even in a tent although I don't plan taking camping gear.
I think the full walk is too much for me on day one as it is not something im doing regular, I fear I'm not fit enough and will loose days recovering.

Similar problems here. I noticed that their web site said they spoke English, so I sent a reservation request through their web form. After a couple of days, I got an email invoice from PayPal, wanting me to pay for part of the night's stay. But no email, and no answers to any of my questions. I submitted a second message through their web form asking the questions again, and never got a reply at all.

At that point I decided to take the lower route instead, and stay the night in Valcarlos. I got a quick email reply saying the reservation was made, and I didn't have to pay anything in advance. Much nicer.

Russell

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I have made my reservation successfully! The trick is to email them directly at: refuge.orisson@wanadoo.fr
They do ask for payment upfront using PAYPAL.........which I was happy to do, a few less Euros to have to get out of an ATM works for me!

billvinhage said:
I have made my reservation successfully! The trick is to email them directly at: refuge.orisson@wanadoo.fr
They do ask for payment upfront using PAYPAL.........which I was happy to do, a few less Euros to have to get out of an ATM works for me!
Thanks for the information
I emailed this address too, in French. I translated on my iphone but still no reply. When did you email and how far in advance to your stay and how long for reply?
Im happy to pay upfont.

russellg99 said:
Similar problems here. I noticed that their web site said they spoke English, so I sent a reservation request through their web form. After a couple of days, I got an email invoice from PayPal, wanting me to pay for part of the night's stay. But no email, and no answers to any of my questions. I submitted a second message through their web form asking the questions again, and never got a reply at all.

At that point I decided to take the lower route instead, and stay the night in Valcarlos. I got a quick email reply saying the reservation was made, and I didn't have to pay anything in advance. Much nicer.

Russell

Thanks Russell
I will consider this option also
I did get through on the phone today, English speaking, but just as I was mid sentence in my request the lady ended the call.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
clairescamino said:
billvinhage said:
Thanks for the information
I emailed this address too, in French. I translated on my iphone but still no reply. When did you email and how far in advance to your stay and how long for reply?
Im happy to pay upfont.

I sent an email in English this morning (23-04-2013) and got a reply back in a matter of hours, my stay is in August (23-08-2013) - I am four months in advance to the day.

I too emailed Orisson directly by email (yesterday afternoon), requesting, in French, a reservation for August 15, 2013. Received confirmation and a PayPal request for payment (35.23 Euro) within 18 hours. Good to go it seems...
Hope this provides some assurance for those thinking of doing the same.

This is a great place to stay...we found that the people that stayed here with us ended up being our closest Camino family. We arrived here at 10:30 in the morn as we left SJPDP early. Another time, I would explore SJPDP more in the morn before heading out, as there is nothing to do at Orisson. It was foggy pretty much the whole walk to Orisson, so once it lifted, I did go take some pics without the fog....but I did get some beautiful fog pictures.
Marilyn

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
We emailed a request for a reservation, in English, and got a response from Jean-Jacques Etchandy, in English, in nine hours confirming our request and saying he would send an invoice for a paypal payment. The invoice came the next day. We paid and received prompt confirmation. The reservation process went very smoothly. We were reserving about 4 months out.

How long is it taking people go walk from SJPdP to Orisson? We're moderately fit and I'm thinking two hours should do it. We'd like to get there fairly early, but would like to spend some time in SJPdP.

Karl

I guess we got lucky, because our hotel in SJPP called and reserved us a spot at Orisson for the next day.

Someone was worried about the tents - I don't think you need camping gear. They are set up behind the gite on the (very steep) hillside. They're probably pretty chilly, but blankets should be provided.

If you're in good shape and not carrying too much, it shouldn't take more than a few hours to walk up to Orisson. It took us FOREVER because we were NOT in shape, carrying FAR too much, and still fighting jet lag. Oh, and we took a lot of pictures, as we were lucky enough to have a gloriously sunny day. I'd suggest hanging out in SJPP for a while and starting later in the morning because, as many have stated, there's NOTHING to do at Orisson. (We napped, drank coffee, drank beer, and tried to stay warm - in July.)

Thanks for all the votes of confidence in getting a booking, I just sent a third email treble checking I have the email address correct and I have texted their mobile, but no reply for me so far.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Hi Claire,

I Booked myself in January for June. No problems. But only couple days ago, I have booked for additional two people for the 5th of June and all went through smoothly.
I sent them an email. Got a reply back after 2-3 days and sorted everything out.
I would assume that they get quite a few emails and it might take some time to reply back.
All I can say is wait and try again, if that fails give them a call.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
I messaged them from their site about a week ago and have had no reply, thank you for suggesting direct email, I will email them right now.:)

...It is a little frustrating, their booking system seems unmanageable as there are lots of similar comments about this.

I'm surprised to hear that people are having trouble booking Orisson. I wrote them last week using the web form on their web site and received a response the next day from Jean-Jacques ETCHANDY who confirmed my booking for April 24th and informed me that I would receive a Paypal invoice for partial payment which I then received the following day and paid it and that was that. All very simple and straightforward in my opinion. Perhaps their booking system can't handle bookings several months in advance, since some of the complaints seem to be from people trying to book for August. Another possibility is that their response message is going astray due to spam filtering. The fact that you didn't get an email response doesn't mean that one wasn't sent. If your mail server attempts to filter spam, and most do, there is always a chance that a valid message will be flagged as spam and deleted or re-routed to a spam folder.

I too had no response using the web site form, but as soon as I emailed I had a confirmed reservation and a PayPal request in my inbox. I guess the web site doesn't always work as intended.

Fr. Moses

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
I too had no response using the web site form, but as soon as I emailed I had a confirmed reservation and a PayPal request in my inbox. I guess the web site doesn't always work as intended.

Fr. Moses

That was my experience too.
Maybe we were just too handsome to resist:oops:

Buen Camino

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Hi
Having been thru this exciting process last year (I booked in Orisson in aug2013 ) I too had been wondering if they were missing or ignoring my requests. Hence I sent email, text and also message via their internet site. Patience is all that was required in the end. I'm sure they get round to it eventually just that we pilgrims are soooooo excited to make our booking for. DAy 1 and can't comprehend them not being soooo excited to reply. My guess being busy running Orisson plus the fact that the booking are usually a while off means 'they can sort them out ' in a batch.
If you've sent a request or requests. You'll get a reply eventually . Ps it is worth it. Such a lovely start to the Camino,having introductions made at the evening meal makes you realise you've found your way and their are fellow pilgrims that you know as soon as you start.
Buen Camino

I can't wait for September !!!

I'd like to stay at Orrisson on Friday August 23rd.
I filled in the contact form about a week ago on their website with no.answer.
Today I called and a managed to have an English conversation with someone who said I needed to email, she then had to go as it sounded busy.
What is the normal turnaround on this? Does anyone have an email other than the contact form on the website? Is no answer a "no" an I should get used to the idea of the full mountain on day one or do I just need to be a bit more patient?

I emailed, received a response in a day or so, and a reservation but as above did also receive request for payment through paypal.. Hope I have reservation when I arrive beginning of July

Hi
Their response to my contacts took about a week. My friend recd reply in about same period
Use the email also. U should get something with 2 weeks for sure. You've got time on your side. Please come back to the forum and let others know how long your turn around ends up being

Soooo exciting !! Buen Camino

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
I emailed, received a response in a day or so, and a reservation but as above did also receive request for payment through paypal.. Hope I have reservation when I arrive beginning of July

If you made the payment via Paypal, then you will have a reservation. However, if you didn't, its likely that you will not have a reservation when you arrive in July. Your message implies that you didn't respond to the Paypal request, and as far as I know that is a requirement.

Russell
Because the albergue at Orisson is ALWAYS full during the summer months they have enough other things to do besides worrying about "who's coming to dinner." By using the PayPal deposit they accomplish both. You'll never regret having to prepay. It was perhaps the one of the best communal meals I had, and it was the first. Forget about the fact that I thought I was going to die getting there!

Most read last week in this forum

Just an FYI that all available beds are taken in SJPDP tonight - fully, truly COMPLETO! There’s an indication of how busy this year may be since it’s just a Wednesday in late April, not usually...
Zubiri was full early yesterday (by 2:30, according to some pilgrims who came to Pamplona today), but Zubiri opened up a municipal building just past the town for some pilgrims to sleep on the...
Within the past few hours there have been two stories on local news media reporting that the Guardia Civil have been successful in returning lost passports to pilgrims. One in Najera, the other in...
We have been travelling from Australia via Dubai and have been caught in the kaos in Dubai airport for over 3 days. Sleeping on the floor of the airport and finally Emerites put us up in...
Hi all, Very new to this so please excuse any ignorance or silly questions :) I'm walking my very first Camino in 2 weeks (iieeeek) - the countdown is on and excitement through the roof. I've...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.