• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Retiring in August and walking the Camino in celebration

2018Retirement

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Frances (2018 Fall)
hello to all fellow travelers. My name is Barbara and in celebration of my retirement I am walking the Portuguese Coastal Camino from Porto to Santiago and then from Santiago to Finisterre starting in September 2018. Other than introduce myself, does anyone have any hints that they can offer. Thank you.......Barbara

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Welcome to the forum, Barbara and congratulations on your retirement.

My input- continue to ask questions and research your options, but in the end do what feels right for you. Equipment, training needs, etc are all very individualized needs. What someone else very emphatically states is the right way to do something might be a poor choice for you.

Welcome to the forum, Barbara and congratulations on your retirement.

My input- continue to ask questions and research your options, but in the end do what feels right for you. Equipment, training needs, etc are all very individualized needs. What someone else very emphatically states is the right way to do something might be a poor choice for you.
Thank you....and I couldn't agree with you more.......seems like first timers fret too much about the details.....credit card and passport are my traveling staples!!!!

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Welcome and congratulations! September can be busy, busy on the Portugues, so pack an extra dose of patience and the occasional Plan B (taxi to pension/hostal off road).

Buen Camino, SY

Congratulations on your coming retirement. Take it from one who got off the rat-wheel some 12 years ago...RETIREMENT ROCKS!

You just need to find a purpose. Once you get out of bed each morning, each day is a gift to be appreciated and fulfilled according to that purpose. That is why it is called "the present."

In Portugal, many local folks of all ages speak at least a little English (unlike in France, Italy or Spain their prime time TV is in original language with Portuguese subtitles...it helps). The people are exceedingly friendly and helpful. I have walked from Porto twice, 2015 & 2017. It takes about 10 days (+/-). My favorite phrase in Portuguese is "falla Ingles?" (do you speak English?) phonetic I think...

I recommend carrying less than you think you need. Leave out any "just in case" items.

The outfit you wear and one clean change should suffice. One pair of convertible pants (worn) should also suffice for 10 days. If you plan to walk from June to August, go light on rain gear. I now prefer an umbrella stuffed into my sternum strap for short-term showers, with a lightweight poncho packed away for heavy driving rain.

Regarding the umbrella idea, I recently used a very stout and well engineered German-made trekking umbrella on my recent Camino. A fellow pilgrim I met simply pulled out his standard duty Totes umbrella. While I was fumbling with the over-engineered clip-on mount for my ĂĽber umbrella, he simply stuffed his umbrella handle into the shoulder harness where the sternum strap meets his shoulder strap and away he walked...easy peasy.

I was very impressed. Simple is sometimes better. My only additional advice is to test fit the umbrella you might use for sun shade and light rain protection to ensure the shaft is long enough when the umbrella is up and open.

Any well made, reinforced umbrella will work. Aside from shaft length, the key thing is resistance to wind, so it does not blow inside out. Try to test this fitting at home. If you are going to buy a new umbrella I recommend either obtaining one with silver on the outside to reflect the sun, OR a light colored umbrella (powder blue, light green, yellow, etc.). Overall though, I am now of the opinion that umbrellas can be superior to ponchos or rain parkas, especially in light showers with little crosswinds.

Also, if you plan to stay in private accommodations (vs. public albergues) you can ditch the sleeping bag and liner, as linens are provided. Most towns have pharmacies and supermercados (small supermarkets). So, you can buy what you need along the way.

Useful smartphone apps for Portugal include:
  • CTT - Portugal Post Office (you can mail parcels ahead to Ivar at Santiago)
  • CP - Portuguese Railways (to get to Porto)
  • Metro Porto - The Porto Metro System (useful if you want to skip to the edge of town to start)
  • Smart Continente - The Continent family of supermarkets, markets and small shops
  • My RNE - RNE Bus service, prevalent throughout Portugal
  • iThinkdiff Portuguese - Probably the best Portuguese online and offline dictionary, phrasebook I have found.
  • Wise Pilgrim Guide - Camino Portuguese - I know the author, who lives in Santiago. These apps are kept updated and are being revised soon to bring vast improvements. I recently saw the beta of the revised version and was frankly blown away. Very inexpensive - like USD .99.
Similarly great smartphone apps for Spain include:
  • Correos - Spanish Post Office
  • RENFE Ticket - Spanish Railways
  • ALSA - largest intercity bus company
  • Eltiempo.es + - The BEST local weather. Virtually every names place in Spain and the world is here.
  • iThinkdiff Spanish - Probably the best Portuguese online and offline dictionary, phrasebook I have found.
Generally great apps (IMHO) for Camino use include:

Microsoft Translator - Produces better and more colloquial translation than Google Translate, according to my Spanish friends.

Google Maps - Once you are in a town with named streets, this is priceless for getting you to your lodgings or a 'pharmacy near me,' or a 'supermarket near me' fast. Don't forget to change units to kilometers.

Wise Pilgrim Guides - Many & various Caminos - I know the author, who lives in Santiago. These apps are kept updated and are being revised soon to bring vast improvements. I recently saw the beta of the revised version and was frankly blown away. Very inexpensive - like USD .99 each. Also available in a bundle if you plan to do multiple Caminos. I have every one of his Wise Camino Guides. I recommend them very highly.

Hope this all helps.

hello to all fellow travelers. My name is Barbara and in celebration of my retirement I am walking the Portuguese Coastal Camino from Porto to Santiago and then from Santiago to Finisterre starting in September 2018. Other than introduce myself, does anyone have any hints that they can offer. Thank you.......Barbara[/QUOTE

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Congratulations Barbara! You will find plenty of good advice on this forum. My offering is to recommend the Variant Espirituel from Pontevedra to PadrĂłn.

Tom, great advise...as usual.
I too, have become a firm believer in using an umbrella, as it was a very useful addition on my last two caminos. So nice to not have to pull out my rain gear when just drizzling or in light rain.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Barbara, I've done that itinerary and can recommend. (I'm one of the freaks who even enjoyed the world's biggest acreage of Citroens in Porrino...Yeah, yeah...I just liked it, okay?)

The only alteration I would consider is going a bit later than September. Cold isn't the biggest problem you are likely to have between Porto and Fisterra and the lighter crowds and easier accommodation may appeal.

But go. Do this.

Warmly welcome, Barbara - and congratulations!
September will be busy. So as the world will soon be your oyster, maybe do go in October.
And follow your nose here, suing the search function and simple following interesting threads wherever they go. There's information about nearly any question you might want to ask, at your fingertips.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Warmly welcome, Barbara - and congratulations!
September will be busy. So as the world will soon be your oyster, maybe do go in October.
And follow your nose here, suing the search function and simple following interesting threads wherever they go. There's information about nearly any question you might want to ask, at your fingertips.
Thank you for the advice and I really don't have to start in September, so I will definitely look at starting early October...at the end of my walk I intend to rent a house somewhere in Portugal for the month of November. Thank you again!

Congratulations on your coming retirement. Take it from one who got off the rat-wheel some 12 years ago...RETIREMENT ROCKS!

You just need to find a purpose. Once you get out of bed each morning, each day is a gift to be appreciated and fulfilled according to that purpose. That is why it is called "the present."

In Portugal, many local folks of all ages speak at least a little English (unlike in France, Italy or Spain their prime time TV is in original language with Portuguese subtitles...it helps). The people are exceedingly friendly and helpful. I have walked from Porto twice, 2015 & 2017. It takes about 10 days (+/-). My favorite phrase in Portuguese is "falla Ingles?" (do you speak English?) phonetic I think...

I recommend carrying less than you think you need. Leave out any "just in case" items.

The outfit you wear and one clean change should suffice. One pair of convertible pants (worn) should also suffice for 10 days. If you plan to walk from June to August, go light on rain gear. I now prefer an umbrella stuffed into my sternum strap for short-term showers, with a lightweight poncho packed away for heavy driving rain.

Regarding the umbrella idea, I recently used a very stout and well engineered German-made trekking umbrella on my recent Camino. A fellow pilgrim I met simply pulled out his standard duty Totes umbrella. While I was fumbling with the over-engineered clip-on mount for my ĂĽber umbrella, he simply stuffed his umbrella handle into the shoulder harness where the sternum strap meets his shoulder strap and away he walked...easy peasy.

I was very impressed. Simple is sometimes better. My only additional advice is to test fit the umbrella you might use for sun shade and light rain protection to ensure the shaft is long enough when the umbrella is up and open.

Any well made, reinforced umbrella will work. Aside from shaft length, the key thing is resistance to wind, so it does not blow inside out. Try to test this fitting at home. If you are going to buy a new umbrella I recommend either obtaining one with silver on the outside to reflect the sun, OR a light colored umbrella (powder blue, light green, yellow, etc.). Overall though, I am now of the opinion that umbrellas can be superior to ponchos or rain parkas, especially in light showers with little crosswinds.

Also, if you plan to stay in private accommodations (vs. public albergues) you can ditch the sleeping bag and liner, as linens are provided. Most towns have pharmacies and supermercados (small supermarkets). So, you can buy what you need along the way.

Useful smartphone apps for Portugal include:
  • CTT - Portugal Post Office (you can mail parcels ahead to Ivar at Santiago)
  • CP - Portuguese Railways (to get to Porto)
  • Metro Porto - The Porto Metro System (useful if you want to skip to the edge of town to start)
  • Smart Continente - The Continent family of supermarkets, markets and small shops
  • My RNE - RNE Bus service, prevalent throughout Portugal
  • iThinkdiff Portuguese - Probably the best Portuguese online and offline dictionary, phrasebook I have found.
  • Wise Pilgrim Guide - Camino Portuguese - I know the author, who lives in Santiago. These apps are kept updated and are being revised soon to bring vast improvements. I recently saw the beta of the revised version and was frankly blown away. Very inexpensive - like USD .99.
Similarly great smartphone apps for Spain include:
  • Correos - Spanish Post Office
  • RENFE Ticket - Spanish Railways
  • ALSA - largest intercity bus company
  • Eltiempo.es + - The BEST local weather. Virtually every names place in Spain and the world is here.
  • iThinkdiff Spanish - Probably the best Portuguese online and offline dictionary, phrasebook I have found.
Generally great apps (IMHO) for Camino use include:

Microsoft Translator - Produces better and more colloquial translation than Google Translate, according to my Spanish friends.

Google Maps - Once you are in a town with named streets, this is priceless for getting you to your lodgings or a 'pharmacy near me,' or a 'supermarket near me' fast. Don't forget to change units to kilometers.

Wise Pilgrim Guides - Many & various Caminos - I know the author, who lives in Santiago. These apps are kept updated and are being revised soon to bring vast improvements. I recently saw the beta of the revised version and was frankly blown away. Very inexpensive - like USD .99 each. Also available in a bundle if you plan to do multiple Caminos. I have every one of his Wise Camino Guides. I recommend them very highly.

Hope this all helps.
wow.......thank you so much for taking the time to offer this advice. I will definitely take more time to go through your information......Barbara

Guides that will let you complete the journey your way.
wow.......thank you so much for taking the time to offer this advice. I will definitely take more time to go through your information......Barbara

Relax, it usually does take time to wade through my posts. I try to be very thorough in providing suggestions, recommendations or advice to fellow pilgrims.

Sorry for the verbosity, but I am what I am...:eek:

Relax, it usually does take time to wade through my posts. I try to be very thorough in providing suggestions, recommendations or advice to fellow pilgrims.

Sorry for the verbosity, but I am what I am...:eek:
I think your verbosity is great You are very knowledgeable helpful and kind to put so much thought into your advise. I always look forward to reading your input. :)

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
"You just need to find a purpose. Once you get out of bed each morning "

After just four months of retirement the first thing I do is say to myself "Today is Monday/Tuesday etc" I've been known to lose a day (or two) enjoying myself too much!

Just try not to lose too many days. The sands in the hourglass of life run only one way...

In this regard, here in the US, we have a colloquial saying about "killing time..." I regard this as a serious error or sin in thinking. While I grew up saying it, without recognizing the implications of such a blithe phrase, I now 'get it.'

One should never look to "kill time." At 65 years of age, I now realize that the most precious thing in the world is time. We can never have enough. At the end of our lives, no amount of wealth or influence will add one minute to our time on earth. It is up to each of us to make the most of the remaining time we have.

I much prefer the related European phrase "passing time." I learned it while living in Belgium for two years a decade ago. It implies you are doing something, anything to occupy that time, rather than simply disposing of it as being useless.

As I have said before, time is a gift. That is why it is called "the present."

Last edited:

Most read last week in this forum

I am 29 doing the Frances by myself starting in SJPdP next week. I didn’t realize this was a busiest time to do the Frances so I am really nervous about the bed race. I don’t mind socializing or...
Hi, can I get second hand poles from Casa Ivar? Happy to make donation. Walking from Santiago to Muxia, then the Primitivo. Will return them when done.....thanks
Hi, A couple years ago I flew into Geneva and took a train to Laussane to begin my Francigena. Next year I would like to fly into Geneva and walk the south side - France into Aigle, Switzerland...
Hello my name is Brenda and I am establishing a daily AA meeting 6-7 pm at Casa Anglican WhatsApp 416-8018176 for daily updates Thankyou. Buen Camino
Hi forum friends, I've been reading lots of posts on here to prepare for my first Camino: May 11th to 16th, central Portuguese way starting from the portuguese border to Tui Spain As a solo female...
Hello. I’m Steph from USA Arriving in pamplona May 27 2024 Is anyone arriving that destination & date so we can coordinate transportation to SJPP. TIA

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back